"Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants" is a SpongeBob SquarePants special. It is a documentary about the development of SpongeBob SquarePants and how it became a huge success. It was made to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the show. It can be found in the The First 100 Episodes DVD.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Jerry Beck (animation historian)
- Tom Kenny (voice of SpongeBob)
- Stephen Hillenburg (creator of SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Bill Fagerbakke (voice of Patrick Star)
- Patchy the Pirate
- Carolyn Lawrence (voice of Sandy Cheeks)
- Clancy Brown (voice of Mr. Krabs)
- Rodger Bumpass (voice of Squidward)
- Brian Doyle-Murray (voice of The Flying Dutchman)
- Tim Conway (voice of Barnacle Boy)
- Ernest Borgnine (voice of Mermaid Man)
- Marion Ross (voice of Grandma SquarePants)
- LeBron James (NBA basketball player)
- Whoopi Goldberg (archive footage)
- Former President Barack Obama (archive footage)
- Ricky Gervais (comedian)
- Ween (musicians)
- Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
- Craig Ferguson (comedian)
- David Hasselhoff (actor, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie)
- Mr. Lawrence (staff writer and voice of Plankton)
- Alec Baldwin (actor)
- Chris Pine (actor)
- Rosario Dawson (actress)
- Keke Palmer (actress)
- Tony Hawk
- Katie Couric (archive footage)
- Jon Stewart (archive footage)
- Simon Cowel (archive footage)
- Nile Rodgers (founder, We Are Family Foundation)
- Gene Shalit (movie critic)
- Robert Thompson (Professor of Television, Syracuse University)
- Jeffrey Katzenberg (CEO of DreamWorks Animation)
- Jacques Cousteau (archive footage)
- Dr. Steve Spruill (author, Absorbing SpongeBob)
- Derek Iversen (staff writer)
- Nate Cash (storyboard writer)
- Nikki Vanzo (Rough Draft Studios, Korea)
- Kristen Flores (executive assistant/writing corrinator)
- Scott Mansz (overseas animation supervisor)
- Vincent Waller (creative director)
- Richard Pursel (staff writer)
- Alan Smart (staff writer/storyboard artist)
- Luke Brookshier (staff writer/storyboard artist)
- Paul Tibbitt (executive producer)
- Albie Hecht (Former President of Entertainment, Nickelodeon)
- Steve Downs (animatics editor)
- Andrea Romano (voice director)
- Dani Michaeli (staff writer)
- Walt Disney (archive footage)
- Squidward Tentacles
The documentary focuses on SpongeBob SquarePants and its fame around the world. It also focuses how it is created and how it became an international phenomenon. It also discusses the controversy of homosexual agenda against SpongeBob, the election of Patchy the Pirate as president of the SpongeBob Fan Club, and the fan mail Nickelodeon is receiving as reactions to SpongeBob.
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
The story of the development of SpongeBob SquarePants, features interviews and commentaries from crew members, including creator Stephen Hillenburg, as well as celebrity fans, such as LeBron James, Ricky Gervais, and Rosario Dawson.
- This documentary premiered on SpongeBob's 10th birthday.
- In a DVD of a 10th anniversary press kit titled “100,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong," a rough cut of this documentary, which isn't much different from TV airings besides some timing, can be found.
- During one of the cast recording scenes, the actors can be seen voicing a scene from "SpongeBob's Last Stand," which was released a year after this documentary aired.
- This documentary reveals that SpongeBob SquarePants was picked up for a second season on August 31, 1999 and a third season on September 20, 2000.