- French narrator
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Daydream SpongeBob
- Patrick Star
- Larry the Lobster
- Incidental 11
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 152 (normal; pink)
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 14 (named Annette)
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 37B
- Old Man Jenkins
- Little girl
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 28
- TV shark
- TV shark's wife (debut)
- TV shark's son (debut)
- TV shark's daughter (debut)
- Sea monster (Goo Lagoon) (debut)
- Billy the Orca (debut)
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 23 (female; debut)
At Goo Lagoon, SpongeBob and Patrick are sunbathing. SpongeBob notices the adoration that the lifeguard, Larry the Lobster, receives. He fantasizes about how cool it would be if he was a lifeguard himself, but Patrick has no fondness for lifeguards, and he stomps off to the snack bar. SpongeBob declares that he is already as cool as Larry and that nothing but an airborne ice cream truck striking him down could prove otherwise.
One collision later, Larry helps SpongeBob up and notices vanilla ice cream has been smeared on his nose. Thinking that it is sunscreen and that therefore he is a lifeguard, Larry enlists the all-too-eager SpongeBob in helping him with his duties. As a lifeguard, SpongeBob becomes very popular and does many fun activities, and is happy to accept taking the second shift solo. However, Larry hears a swimmer drowning and saves him, and SpongeBob realizes too late that being a lifeguard is actually a serious business of rescuing people.
His shift now over, Larry heads off for the tanning booth, leaving SpongeBob, who cannot swim, in charge of the beach. SpongeBob tries to laugh off his fears, but can't help but imagine the sea of swimmers in the lagoon as a sea of graves instead. In a panic, he alerts all the fish to an "emergency" and orders them out of the lagoon. When asked what is happening, he declares that sharks have infested the lagoon, a comment that does not sit well with a kindly shark family in the crowd. He then raves about a sea monster, who slaps SpongeBob in the face. The frustrated crowd then disperses and heads back to the lagoon, much to SpongeBob's dismay.
Stressed out from watching the beach-goers engaging in risky activities, SpongeBob resorts to luring everyone out of the lagoon with free ice cream. Once everyone has some to eat, SpongeBob points out that they must now wait one hour to re-enter the lagoon, and binds them with police tape to enforce this rule. Patrick, who had been in the restroom, runs out in search of the promised ice cream. Misreading the police tape as a sign for ice cream, he breaks through it to go into the lagoon, where he gets cramps and starts drowning.
While the crowd tries to alert SpongeBob to this real emergency, he initially refuses to believe them. However, he eventually sees Patrick and springs into action, desperate to find a way to save him without having to swim. He confiscates a boatmobile from a couple in the parking lot, though he returns their hotdog. SpongeBob rows the boat out to the ocean, but the frantic Patrick destroys it until he realizes his actions before he and SpongeBob both start drowning, with Patrick beating SpongeBob up to stay afloat. As they say their goodbyes, Larry arrives in time to pull them up from the ankle-deep lagoon.
Realizing that SpongeBob doesn't know how to swim, Larry sets him and Patrick to work practicing their swimming in a kiddie pool. They both wind up with butt cramps because of their lack of ability to swim, with Patrick still lamenting his lack of ice cream.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Surfin' Summer (B) - Richard Myhill [Title card]
‣ Beach Party - The White Caps, Harry Bluestone [opening at Goo Lagoon/"Hey, it's Larry, the lifeguard."/"Hows's the tubage?"]
‣ Facing the Challenge - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob imagines himself as a lifeguard]
‣ Hawaiian Link (A) - Richard Myhill ["I'm cool."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [lightning]
‣ Dramatic Impact 1 - Ivor Slaney [flying ice cream truck]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Please do not land flying ice cream trucks on the bathers."]
• Question Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hey!"]
‣ Saxaboogie - The White Caps, Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob and Larry patrolling the beach]
‣ Advance Attack - Sam Fonteyn [Larry rescues someone drowning]
‣ Advance Attack Alt. End - Sam Fonteyn ["That's the last time I read and swim."]
‣ South Pacific Island II - Victor Cavini [Larry leaves SpongeBob in charge]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob orders everyone out of the lagoon]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone goes back in]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [SpongeBob panicking]
‣ Dangerous C - Mladen Franko ["Free ice cream!"]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [everyone eating ice cream]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Do not cross changes to Ice cream]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Cramp!"]
‣ Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Patrick drowning]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney ["... Patrick isn't drowning!"]
• 12th Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trying to rescue Patrick/"Help, I'm drowning! I've got butt cramps! I want ice cream and now it's dark!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (G) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Patrick drowning]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Goodbye, Patrick!"]
‣ Beach Party - The White Caps, Harry Bluestone [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeGuard on Duty DVD (with storyboard version on the special features) and VHS, Complete 3rd Season, First 100 Episodes, Working is Amazing!?, Sponge in Service, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 4, Complete Third Season, 2-Season TV Pack, Beach Bob, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes, High Tides and Wild Rides, From the Beginning, Pt.1, Super Spongy Square Games, Calling All Heroes!, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This is the first episode where Larry is a lifeguard. In "Ripped Pants," "Walking Small," and "Bubble Buddy," Larry is just a beach-goer.
- This is the fourth episode in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes, not counting the live-action SpongeBob costume. The first is "Ripped Pants," the second is "Walking Small," and the third is "The Fry Cook Games."
- On some TV guides, the air date for this episode is not listed.
- This was the first episode to be written by Sam Henderson.
- The grunts that Larry makes would later appear in the online game Reef Rumble.
- The shark father was previously seen in the episode "MuscleBob BuffPants" selling Anchor Arms.
- In the 2012 commercial for General Mills breakfast cereals, a clip of SpongeBob sucking up all of the water is used to advertise their SpongeBob squirters in specially marked boxes of brands.
- The SpongeBob mascot shown in numerous Nickelodeon theme parks appears in this episode.
- Earlier in the episode, SpongeBob is shown struggling with a barbell made of two soda cups, yet later, he is shown capable of lifting an entire boat and holding it up with one hand.
- Along with "The Algae's Always Greener" it preceded the premiere of the Nickelodeon animated series ChalkZone.
- The sea monster in the episode is voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- This is the first episode to play the tracks "Beach Party," "Danger Sign," and "Dramatic Impact (1)."
- In the Middle East airing, the scene where SpongeBob and Patrick check on their "tan" is removed.
- In the Polish dub, this episode's title is "SpongeBob ratownik," which translates to "SpongeBob the Lifeguard."
- Innuendo: SpongeBob and Patrick looking down their pants at the beginning of the episode. Also, Patrick's speech about lifeguards, and the fish responding "Dude, put that thing away, there are like, children here."
- When the crowd of people is running while holding Larry, they can be faintly heard singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow."
- At the end of the montage a bubble transition appears in there's a little bit of a blue screen at the bottom by Rough Draft Korea, which was made sometime in 2001.
- When SpongeBob raises his arms to call the people for ice cream, he never lowers his arms as he gives it to them.
- When the crowd looks up at the lifeguard tower when SpongeBob calls everyone out, Annette does not have any hair.
- It is not Evelyn, however, because in the next shot and for the rest of the episode, Annette has her hair back.
- SpongeBob's nose changes color every time Patrick hits him with the anchor.
- When SpongeBob sees that Patrick is drowning, he breaks the lens of his binoculars, but the lens is back after SpongeBob sees Patrick drowning.
- In the scene where Larry saves Bill, a crowd of fish is worried. However, Bill himself is in the crowd.
- When SpongeBob hands out ice cream, the white fish is shown with a pink ice cream cone. In the next shot of him, the ice cream is white.
- When SpongeBob hands out ice cream, Nat Peterson is shown with a red popsicle. In the next shot of him, the popsicle is blue.
- When Patrick smashes an anchor on SpongeBob's head, the cream on the latter's nose disappears for a frame or two.
- During Larry's line "Let's go, guys," when he says "Let's," SpongeBob lip syncs to what Larry says.
- After Larry says "Very good. You fellas are learning fast.," his mouth does not close.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|