- Patchy the Pirate (narrator)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patty Gadget (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 32
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 64
- King Neptune (cameo)
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 12
Patchy the Pirate is back, and reads a story about Squidward and SpongeBob. Squidward invents the machine, that he calls the Patty Gadget, and he insists that Mr. Krabs should fire SpongeBob because it can make patties faster and Mr. Krabs does not have to pay for it. Then, SpongeBob declares a Krabby Patty war against the Patty Gadget.
First, SpongeBob seems to be faster, but the machine is not an easy challenge for him. Everyone was enjoying the fight, except for Patrick, who has to go to the bathroom.
Squidward then gets worried and, in a state of panic, breaks the handle of the Patty Gadget, causing it to overload and for Squidward to run off. Despite this, SpongeBob keeps pace and eventually overwhelms the machine, causing it to explode in defeat. However, SpongeBob collapses after winning the fight.
A short memorial service is held, giving the appearance that SpongeBob has passed, but then SpongeBob appears and celebrates his victory, revealing that the grave is for the Patty Gadget. Patchy closes the book with the picture of the machine's tombstone and then a "The End" beside it. The word The Legends of SpongeBob in the end of the book is just like from the beginning. Patchy lastly mentions he has to go and polish his hook.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Title card]
• Fry Cook Ballad A - Steve Marston [Opening/The patty gadget revealed]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's acne]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters ["What is this contraption you've hauled into me place?"]
• Fry Cook Ballad - Steve Marston ["The machine wanted his job."]
‣ Sea Battle [#49] - John Fox ["Squidward pulled the big lever, and sat back and watched feeling oh, so quite clever."]
‣ Sea Battle [#44] - John Fox [SpongeBob making Krabby Patties]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36.02] - John Fox ["I won't lose to that thing!"]
‣ Pirate Ship - David Farnon [gadget explodes]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#38] - John Fox ["It was all over, finished and done."]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36] - John Fox [SpongeBob collapses.]
• Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [tombstone]
• Drunken Sailor Jig - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [patty gadget buried underground]
• Fry Cook Ballad Closer - Steve Marston [ending]
- This episode is available on the Season 5 Volume 1, SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis, SpongeBob's Pest of the West (UK version), SpongeBob StarPants, First 100 Episodes, Best of SpongeBob, Really Big Box Set, SpongeBob's Legendary Adventures, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 7, The SpongeBob Super Square Collection, Complete Fifth Season, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Welcome Aboard, Super Spongy Square Games, Time Travel, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- On the title card, every beginning capital letter of a word is in red text, while the rest of the letters are blue.
- The story The Legend of SpongeBob SquarePants was not a real book, but it looked like one in this episode.
- At the beginning of this episode, Patchy opens a book. Its cover reads "The Legend of SpongeBob SquarePants." A similar book title is seen on the "Legends of Bikini Bottom" episodes, and the title card of this episode is reused in those episodes as the frame for the title cards of the "Legends of Bikini Bottom" episodes.
- This episode proves that Squidward does know the recipe for the Krabby Patty. In past episodes, Squidward says he does not know the recipe at all.
- Squidward is revealed to have a bad case of acne.
- Patchy narrates the story in a way similar to a poem, with words rhyming after every line.
- This is the first non-special episode to feature Patchy the Pirate.
- This is also the only short to date with Patchy in it.
- This is the second episode to contain a title of two characters versing each other, the first being "Krabs vs. Plankton."
- This is the fourth short of season 5. The first is "Rise and Shine," the second is "Waiting," and the third is "Boat Smarts."
- This episode marks one of few times where Patchy appears without Potty the Parrot.
- In the Indonesia dub, Patchy is also confused when SpongeBob is not buried.
- The episode's plot is similar to the folktale "John Henry." In both cases, the main character races against a machine while performing the same task.
- This is due to a proposition: SpongeBob battles the patty gadget to keep his job; John Henry fights a railway steam drill for an ownership of land being worked on.
- Just like how SpongeBob faints after winning the battle, John Henry passed away due to exhaustion.
- The way Patchy narrates the episode is similar to the story "Twas the Night Before Christmas," and how the Dr. Seuss stories are told due to the rhyming.
- Patchy says 20 patties, but there are actually 15.
- Also, SpongeBob puts patties on the grill, but a few seconds later, the patties he put on the grill are gone and he puts on more.
- In Squidward's final attempt to beat SpongeBob, he breaks the lever on the patty gadget, but just before the machine explodes, the lever is in one piece again.
- The amount of fish inside of the Krusty Krab changes throughout the episode.
- After the scene where SpongeBob faints, there is a normal-sized grave. In the next scene, it is smaller.
- Although when Patchy says, "It was all over," the Patty Gadget is completely destroyed. When he says, "You thought SpongeBob was buried down there? They just buried the gadget!," there are just some holes in it.