- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mini SpongeBobs
- Jimmy Gus
- Squidward Tentacles
- Killer Krabby Patty (debut)
- Frankie Billy
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Old Man Walker
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Orange fish
- Patrick's forehead
- Mister Weiner (debut)
- Pizza Pete (debut)
- Señor Taco (debut)
- Frank (red shirt)
- Ivy (gray)
- Frankie Billy
- Noodleman (debut)
- Hotdog henchmen (debut)
- Fred (blue)
- Nat Peterson
- Norma Rechid
- Harold (red fish)
- Nathiel Waters
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Abigail Marge
SpongeBob is working happily at the Krusty Krab and is making a Krabby Patty while Squidward sleeps on the job. When he finishes making the patty, Mr. Krabs comes up and tells him he is fired. SpongeBob is devastated by the news, as Krabs says the reason why he is firing him is because he found out he can save a nickel if he cuts off SpongeBob's salary completely. Squidward then asks if he can be fired as well but Mr. Krabs states he can't be fired as he has seniority, to his dismay. SpongeBob offers to work for free, but Mr. Krabs stated he already thought of that, though he had found out he cannot because it is illegal and he would lose his vendor's license. As a result, SpongeBob starts crying uncontrollably and floods the Krusty Krab with his tears. Not sympathetic to this, Squidward drains his tears and escorts the sad sponge out and mockingly tells him he should come back "as a customer," which makes him cry again before Squidward closes the blinds on a sulking SpongeBob. Then, he congratulates Mr. Krabs for his decision and asks him who is going to make the patties. Mr. Krabs tells him that he was a "golden spatula fry cook" in the navy, so he is going to be the new chef before the spatula spontaneously bursts into flames as Squidward comments on the impending disaster.
SpongeBob then goes home, still sad about his situation, as he is comforted by Gary who also wants to be fed. SpongeBob feeds him, but continues to cry as he hears Patrick crying because he is doing so too. Feeling bad, SpongeBob invites him to come inside, before (at first unsuccessfully) telling him about his situation. However, Patrick tells him that being unemployed is the best gig that he knows and tells SpongeBob he is going to come back the next day to tell him the steps of glorious unemployment.
The next day, Patrick arrives to get SpongeBob who appears depressed and disheveled, as Patrick tells him the 3 steps of glorious unemployment, or as Patrick likes to call it, "fun-employment." The steps are breakfast with Squidward, taking a mid-morning siesta, and free lunch with friends. First, they go to Squidward's house and step on his plants. Angered, Squidward throws food at them to go away as Patrick compliments on SpongeBob's "fun-employment" spirit. Next, Patrick and SpongeBob stick themselves to Patrick's rock to sleep, but SpongeBob falls down.
Then, the pair go to Sandy's treedome, where she is handing out food which is really toxic waste that gives off mutations, such as a puffy face for one fish and an extra forehead for Patrick.
Sandy then notices SpongeBob who tells her he lost his job and tries to eat the food that she made but she quickly prevents him from eating the slop, as he asks about it and she explains her real goal is doing a psychological test to determine how much stuff (as she doesn't even know what this "stuff" is) they eat, for free. Sandy then tells SpongeBob that he needs to get a new job and not be like the "freeloaders." Motivated by her words, SpongeBob tells Patrick that "fun-employment" may be fun for him but he needs to get a new job. While Patrick's second head insults him, Patrick angrily hits the latter for insulting his friend and tells SpongeBob to go ahead with his decision. With that, he turns from a depressed sponge to back to a happy and joyful sponge again, and he goes looking for a job.
The first job SpongeBob arrives at is the Weenie Hut, where he gets employed by Mister Weiner. However, Mister Weiner soon fires SpongeBob due to him making Weenie Patties instead of hot dogs. Next, SpongeBob goes to Pizza Piehole where he gets hired by Pizza Pete to make pizzas, but SpongeBob makes a Pizza Patty, much to Pizza Pete's disapproval, resulting in SpongeBob getting fired again. Next, SpongeBob goes to Taco Sombrero; he gets hired and makes a Burrito Patty, and Señor Taco decides to give it a try and asks a customer to taste it. Pilar volunteers, but when he takes a bite, the burrito meat gets into Billy and Frank's faces, so he gets fired once again. SpongeBob then cries an excuse to Señor Taco, but the latter just strictly fires him. Next and shortly, a crying SpongeBob goes to Wet Noodle, but he gets fired yet again, and Noodleman throws the Noodle Patty on SpongeBob, causing him to say he'll take his cooking home.
SpongeBob is crying about being fired several times in one day as he goes home. When he arrives home, Gary asks him for snail food, but he says he does not have any, so he makes a homemade can of snail food for Gary. SpongeBob tastes a bit of it, saying it tastes great. Gary eats the food, saying it is the best food he ever tasted. Patrick and his second head also eats the food.
Then, there is a knock on the door, which SpongeBob answers. The Hotdog Minions trap SpongeBob in a hot dog bun and take him away. It turns out Mr. Weiner has kidnapped him and "promotes" him because of his idea of Weenie Patties, while ignoring his mentioning of firing him. SpongeBob can't leave because he got chained until Pete comes along and frees him with pizza sauce, only for him to kidnap him with bread stick cuffs. Soon it is a war against all the owners of each restaurant who now see how useful SpongeBob's creations were. This results in a tug of war until the Killer Krabby Patty defeats them and takes him back to the Krusty Krab, where angry customers are leaving because of Mr. Krabs' terrible cooking. Krabs thanks Killer Krabby Patty, who is then revealed to be Squidward in disguise, for bringing SpongeBob back. Squidward admits that even though he hates SpongeBob, he hates the smell of burnt Krabby Patties even more. He begs SpongeBob to come back and become a fry cook again.
SpongeBob says he would if it was okay with Mr. Krabs, who apologizes to SpongeBob for firing him in the first place since the Krusty Krab is falling apart without him, and rehires SpongeBob. Ecstatic at being rehired, SpongeBob cleans the whole restaurant and gives Mr. Krabs and Squidward a new suit and dress.
SpongeBob later serves the customers patties again, even inviting his old bosses over for a meal to make amends. Mr. Krabs then says that to make up for the nickel he lost, he installed a pay toilet, which costs a nickel to use.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob making Krabby Patties]
‣ Dragon Flight A - Daryl Neil Alexander Griffith [SpongeBob jumps into the air]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [SpongeBob mops the floor while tied to the ceiling]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes back to the kitchen.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets a idea]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob choose a pickle jar.]
‣ Lap Steel Lullabye - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob puts pickles on a pattie]
‣ Circus Parade (b) - Dick Stephen Walter ["Order up!"]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr ["One perfect patty on a pristine plate!"]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Douglas Gulland ["You're fired."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["WHAT?!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 16 - "Well, I've been doing some calculating..."
‣ Saltwater Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs says he'll be running the grill]
‣ Hebrew Lament - John Leach [SpongeBob sadly comes home]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob hears Patrick crying]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick at the window]
‣ A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob stutters trying to say "fired"/"Great. See you then."]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The next morning]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob answers the door]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Ready for your first day of unemployment?"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward gets angry]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mid-morning siesta]
‣ Fooling Around - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob sitting outside Patrick's rock]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Yippee."]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Sandy's experiment]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick punches his forehead]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Thanks, Patrick."]
‣ Unknown Track 40 - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob loses five o'clock shadow.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob loses five o'clock shadow]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm ready! Whoo-hoo!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob grins enthusiastically]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Weenie Hut kitchen]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [weenie patties]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But Mr. Krabs, why?"]
‣ Via Porchio - Mario Tomasso, Serge Tomassi [Pizza Piehole]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [shot of pizza patty]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But who will make the Krabby Patties?"]
‣ Guaracha Senorita - Heidi Pehofer [Taco Sombrero]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Unknown Track 102 - Wet Noodle
‣ Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sadly come home]
‣ Pineapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob making snail food]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob kidnapped]
‣ Stealth by Night - Jack Coles [SpongeBob chained to Weenie Hut grill]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Parmesan crusted breadstick?"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [restaurant owners fighting over on SpongeBob]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [restaurant owners holding over on SpongeBob]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman ["Stop! Unhand that sponge!"]
‣ Bloodbath - Harry Lubin [Killer Patty beats up restaurant owners]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, here we go again."]
‣ Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["How can you serve this slop?"]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs re-hires SpongeBob]
‣ Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cleaning the Krusty Krab]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob, You're Fired!, Complete Ninth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode was criticized and panned with negative reviews for its references to unemployment, especially from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which caused the media matters for America to take action, and prompted MSNBC's Al Sharpton to "stick up for poor Americans."
- This episode aired in Greece on July 3, 2013, before it aired in the United States.
- This was the last episode to premiere in 2013.
- There is an online game of the same name based on this episode.
- This is the last episode to be produced before The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water began production.
- This is the last episode to credit Paul Tibbitt as the supervising producer in the opening credits. He would be credited as an executive producer from "Lost in Bikini Bottom" onward.
- The title of this episode is similar to that of "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- This is the second half hour special of season 9. The first is "It Came From Goo Lagoon."
- In this episode, Mr. Krabs does a terrible job making Krabby Patties, even though in "Friend or Foe," a flashback shows he made delicious Krabby Patties. It's possible he forgot how to properly cook them over the years.
- This is the last episode where all captions in an episode are in uppercase.
- The plot of this episode is similar to "Bummer Vacation" and "Model Sponge."
- In "Bummer Vacation," SpongeBob gets bored when he takes a vacation from work.
- In "Model Sponge," SpongeBob thinks he is being fired, when he is not.
- In "Bummer Vacation," SpongeBob gets bored when he takes a vacation from work.
- This is the third time SpongeBob gets fired from his job at the Krusty Krab.
- Near the end, Mister Weiner, Pizza Pete and the other people who worked in the restaurants SpongeBob tried to get a job in are seen eating at the Krusty Krab.
- This is the fourth special to air on November 11. The first three were "Have You Seen This Snail?" in 2005, "The Great Patty Caper" in 2010, and "A SquarePants Family Vacation" in 2011.
- Since SpongeBob didn't know what a hot dog was, this episode probably takes place before "SpongeGuard on Duty" and "Krusty Dogs."
- To date, this is the last episode to have Marc Ceccarelli as a writer.
- This is also the last episode to have Steve Downs as an animatic supervisor, Peter Bennett as a background painter, and Blake Lemons as an animatic director.
- This is a rare time where Squidward physically attacks someone.
- This is the last episode to have a clean-up artist credited in the end credits.
- Irony: If Mr. Krabs changed the prices of everything on the menu to higher prices to avoid losing 5 cents, then he wouldn't have to fire SpongeBob.
- Squidward reveals that he hates the smell of burnt Krabby Patties more than SpongeBob.
- However, he actually gave the customers burnt Krabby Patties in "The Play's the Thing." This likely explains where he developed the hatred.
- SpongeBob's mug says "Best Day Ever." This is a reference to the episode of the same name.
- SpongeBob is able to make the Snail-Po recipe. It is possible that he remembered the taste that he had from "Missing Identity."
- This episode is a bit out of character for both Squidward and SpongeBob. SpongeBob makes a remark about Pizza Pete, saying "I hope his pepperoni falls off," and Squidward went out of his way to save SpongeBob (something he would most likely despise).
- Weenie Hut may be a reference to Weenie Hut Jr's.
- Until "Krabby Patty Creature Feature," this was the last episode to have 3 writers.
- When Mr. Krabs says "golden spatula fry cook," this might be a reference to the Golden Spatula collectibles of the SpongeBob video games, most notably, Battle for Bikini Bottom, where SpongeBob has to collect golden spatulas to enter new levels. He might also be referencing the same spatula seen in "Plankton!."
- SpongeBob gets his pink slip in the form of a shirt. When one receives a pink slip, it's on paper, and then they get fired.
- In the same scene, SpongeBob also holds a can and an ax. The can means "Being Canned" (which means "Getting Fired"); the axe, and the way it falls on SpongeBob and slices him in half, may be supposed to be a visual pun on "Getting Axed" (which also means "Getting Fired").
- This episode aired on March 31, 2014 in Southeast Asia except for the Philippines, in which it aired on April 2, 2014. Both premieres were before the Kids' Choice Awards.
- This episode is similar to "Le Big Switch," where SpongeBob also makes patties out of ordinary food. In both episodes first his bosses hate it, then they love it.
- This is the second time Patrick's forehead is shown with the ability to speak, the first being time being in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- This was the last episode of the series to be dubbed by MBC 3 in the Arabic dub due to Nickelodeon Arabia's 2015 relaunch.
- This is one of the few times where Mr. Krabs wears the Krusty Krab employee hat, the other being the "What if SpongeBob Was Gone? (Mr. Krabs)" short.
- This episode is similar to "Can You Spare a Dime?," except for the fact that SpongeBob suffers being fired instead of Squidward.
- This is one of few episodes to sneak in controversial content under the radar.
- In the promo for this episode, it said "Will the greatest fry cook of Bikini Bottom hit Rock Bottom?" This may have been a reference to the episode "Rock Bottom."
- The episode name was actually said in "Karate Choppers," which is an older episode. This may just be a coincidence.
- While the episode rarely airs in the US, it regularly airs in places like Australia and New Zealand due to them airing all SpongeBob episodes in production order.
- The TV Guide on Xfinity/Comcast displays the title as "SpongeBob, You're Fired!"
- This episode was aired alongside various specials from this cartoon and The Fairly OddParents leading up to the Nickelodeon movie 100 Things to Do Before High School.
- This episode premiered in the Philippines on Martin Olson's 62nd birthday, nine years after "Nickelodeon Blimp" premiered, three years after "Sentimental Sponge" premiered and "Greasy Buffoons" and "Model Sponge" premiered in Poland, two years after "Restraining SpongeBob" premiered, and one year after "Patrick's Staycation" and "Walking the Plankton" premiered in Greece.
- This episode premiered ten years after Friends Forever was released, eight years after "Have You Seen This Snail?" premiered, three years after "The Great Patty Caper" premiered, and two years after "A SquarePants Family Vacation" premiered.
- This episode premiered two years before the premiere of "Patrick! The Game" and "The Sewers of Bikini Bottom."
- This episode premiered in Canada on Shannon Tweed's 57th birthday, Jon Hamm's 43rd birthday, and five years after Surf's Up, SpongeBob! was released.
- This episode premiered in Southeast Asia seven years after the premiere of "Born to Be Wild" and "Best Frenemies" and two years after the premiere of "Are You Happy Now?" and "Planet of the Jellyfish."
- This is the fourth time SpongeBob's tears caused flooding, the first being "Grandma's Kisses," the second being "Funny Pants," and the third being "A Day Without Tears."
- This is the highest rated episode of season 9 with 5.19 (in millions) U.S. viewers.
- On the Complete Ninth Season DVD, this episode is incorrectly listed as "SpongeBob, You're Fired!," adding a comma and exclamation point to the title.
- When SpongeBob's corner grew back after he ate it, the scene skipped a part, paused, and then started again.
- When SpongeBob is smelling (looking) at the paper, his buck teeth are together for a split second.
- When SpongeBob says, "They're Weenie Patties!" and "But you just fired me," his Weenie Hut hat is replaced with his Krusty Krab hat.
- Normally SpongeBob's mouth is a dark red color in HD episodes, but in some scenes in this episode, it is an even darker shade of red than usual, to the point where it looks like a nearly rust-like color.
- At the end of the episode, the four restaurant owners are seen at the Krusty Krab despite having been beat up earlier.
- Although the end credits spell Mister Weiner's name as "Weiner," the proper German spelling is actually "wi.e.ner."
- When Mr. Weenie says, "My customers love your little sliders!," the Weenie Patty is smaller.
- When SpongeBob is forced out of the Krusty Krab by Squidward, there are no tables inside.
- SpongeBob makes Snail-Po, even though it is stated in the same episode that he can only make Krabby Patties.
- When Patrick is disturbing Squidward when he is gardening, there are three markers for plants. When SpongeBob says, "Hey, Squidward, look at me, I'm fun-employed!," there's only one plant marker.
- When SpongeBob wraps his arm around the custom Snail-Po can while opening it, in the next scene when he gives it to Gary, his arm is wrapped around the can more.
- The order wheel is not seen in the order window at the end of the episode.
- When SpongeBob is feeding Gary the first time, he uses Slimy Can Snail food, but later he makes some Snail-Po and even says before he makes the snail food, "I'll open up a can of Snail-Po for you Gary."
- When SpongeBob is preparing the homemade Snail-Po can, his eyelashes briefly disappear.
- When SpongeBob goes to the cupboard to get some snail food for Gary the first time, if one looks closely, one can see there are multiple cans inside, but when SpongeBob says "I'll open up a can of Snail-Po for you" while opening the cupboard, it is empty.
- After SpongeBob got fired from the Wet Noodle, he said that he is been fired five times in one day. However, he was fired from the Krusty Krab a day ago, so he was actually fired four times in one day, it is possible that it might have been later that day.
- When the hotdog henchmen kidnap SpongeBob out of his house, his house is much wider than it usually is.
- Throughout SpongeBob's "funemployment," his coffee cup spills twice, yet later, it is full again without SpongeBob going back to his house to refill his coffee mug.
- Patrick is technically a displaced and discouraged worker, meaning he may have looked for a job in the past, but has given up actively searching. To be unemployed, one must be without a job, and actively searching for another job, for which Patrick does not meet both these requirements.
- When the Noodleman throws the Noodle Patty outside, SpongeBob says that he will "take it to go home." So that means the Noodleman couldn't have served the Noodle Patty to the customers.
- It is possible that SpongeBob forgot to take it with him.
- SpongeBob overreacting after getting fired.
- SpongeBob combining food with Krabby Patties.