- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 65 (cameo)
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 42
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Devil (mentioned)
- Awesome Eddie (debut)
- Big G (debut)
- Chip (debut)
- Silent Stan (debut)
- Twitch (debut)
- Narrator (SpongeBob vs. The Big One) (debut)
- Jack Kahuna Laguna (debut)
- Flying Dutchman
- Incidental 92
- Sally the Crab (mentioned)
- Davy Jones (debut)
- The Big One (debut)
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 2 (normal; pink body)
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 64 (normal; yellow; gray; dark gray; blue; light blue)
- Incidental 12
- Gary the Snail
- Larry the Lobster
- Incidental 84
- Pearl Krabs
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 8
In the beginning of the episode, it is a very hot day in Bikini Bottom, and the Krusty Krab is seeing no business. The employees are annoyed being in the restaurant because of how hot it is and the fan stops working. To get some customers, Mr. Krabs moves his business to the middle of the sea at Goo Lagoon, where he, Squidward, and SpongeBob meet up with Patrick and Sandy. Patrick then tries to get on the board on which the grill is, but ends up tipping it vertically into a wave, sending them off to separate places: SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward end up on an island with young surfers, Mr. Krabs is stranded in the middle of the Dutchman's Triangle, and Sandy ends up on a small island in the middle of nowhere. SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward come across the locals, who claim to be junior college dropouts and take them to a hut made of bat droppings (guano), where they learn that the only way back to the mainland is by surfing. SpongeBob, who does not know how to surf, starts panicking.
Meanwhile, the Flying Dutchman accidentally rams into Mr. Krabs on his way home from the grocery store and spills his groceries. As a result, the Dutchman then tries to get money to get more groceries from Mr. Krabs by stealing his cash register, and a fight brews.
While this is happening, SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward receive lessons from the locals, but struggle to focus, until they are told to head downriver to see Jack Kahuna Laguna, who was supposedly last seen upriver. After a while of enjoying the sights, SpongeBob stops to retie his shoes but stumbles upon the cove where JKL was last seen. Patrick and Squidward follow him further and discover JKL, who they watch surf for 2 and a half hours. He later starts a fire and tells them to look into it, claiming that doing so will show them the secrets to surfing, but Squidward refuses, saying it is ridiculous.
Meanwhile, Sandy thrives by building a 5-star hotel, a helicopter, a steam-powered generator, a cappuccino shop, a coconut-milk-powered car, and a control tower, but decides to head back home. Meanwhile, at the Dutchman's Triangle, the Flying Dutchman gets hold of the cash register, but accidentally releases the tray, which hits him and sends him to Davy Jones' locker, where "Davy Jones" is revealed to be the real-life actor of the same name. Davy Jones then tortures the Dutchman with his socks.
Back with JKL, the latter continues to teach SpongeBob and his friends how to surf, but during the middle of the final lesson, JKL leaves to head towards a temple, and SpongeBob and his friends follow. It begins raining as soon as SpongeBob and his friends hit the top, and JKL tells them that every 1,000 years or so, the planets align in such a way that the perfect wave forms, known as "the Big One," and that this time has come, and SpongeBob and his friends must ride it back home, or else be trapped on the island forever. SpongeBob and his friends are also told by JKL that the Big One requires a sacrifice to stay "alive" for the whole trip and that one of them will not return. SpongeBob and his friends head off to the Big One, but immediately, it eats up Patrick and Squidward's boards. SpongeBob allows them onto his board, when Mr. Krabs shows up and gets swallowed by the Big One, but JKL shows up and rescues him. Mr. Krabs then accidentally drops Cashy into the wave. JKL jumps into the wave to recover it, and as a result gets absorbed by the Big One, sacrificing himself allowing SpongeBob and the others to get home safely. SpongeBob then surfs them back home while playing a tribute song to JKL's sacrifice.
Meanwhile, Sandy crashes into Goo Lagoon in her helicopter, where the beach visitors mistake her for an a spaceman. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs wash up a few seconds later, soon followed by JKL who somehow survived the Big One and they welcome them back home with a luau. JKL gives Mr. Krabs Cashy, and the episode ends with them dancing at the beach.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ ? [title card]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [opening at Krusty Krab]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Gulland [Krabs forgot to pay the power bill]
• I'm Ready Fanfare - Nicolas Carr ["We're going to the beach today!"]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Goo Lagoon aka the beach]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick emerges from the water]
• Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Patrick tries to climb onto the surfboard]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor F. Narholz ["Where'd the beach go?"]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Water spouts... of blood?!"]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [jelly donuts]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["Jelly donuts falling from the sky. What could this mean? There's only one logical answer."]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (A) - Dave Hewson ["I've landed right in the middle of Dutchman's Triangle."/"Right above Davy Jones' locker."/"In the Devil's Galley!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward wash up on an island]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [SpongeBob dragging seaweed around/"Welcome to our remote island."]
• Sitar Transition - Nicolas Carr ["Om..."]
‣ Hula Guitars - Eric Spencer ["We've been here since we dropped out of junior college."]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Great."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["I don't know how to surf!"]
• Surfing Sponge with Vocal - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [surf lessons]
‣ Guitar Island - Eric Spencer [legend of Jack Kahuna Laguna]
• Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [dramatic sting]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy wakes up on another island]
‣ ? ["I'm stranded!"]
• Bee Line for the Tree Line - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob stops to tie his shoe]
‣ Sea Fanfare - John Fox [SpongeBob finds Kahmamoku Cove]
‣ ? [banjo music]
‣ War Statement 3 - Laurie Johnson [Patrick sees a straw hut]
• Unknown Track 52 - extremely long surfboard
• The Power Within - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [JKL surfing]
• Sitar Transition - Nicolas Carr ["Just keep breathing."]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter [Krabs going crazy]
• Krusty Krab Tango - Steve Marston [Krabs talking to his cash register]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Ah! It's the Flying Dutchman!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Ah! It's some guy I've never seen before!"]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["Who be disturbing the Flying Dutchman's walk home from the convenience store?"]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (A) - Dave Hewson [lightning]
• Sitar Transition - Nicolas Carr [JKL appears/JKL goes]
‣ ? ["We just have to stare into this fire all night."]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [meanwhile...]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [Sandy making a fire]
‣ Lionheart - Larry Hochman [helicopter]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["No, please, Mr. Dutchman, I didn't mean to spill your groceries!"]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward wakes up]
• Sitar Transition - Nicolas Carr ["You obviously didn't stare into the fire all night like your friends over there."]
‣ ? [SpongeBob and Patrick knocked out]
‣ Apprehensive 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [thunderstorm]
‣ Death Clock C - Dick de Benedictis [planets align]
‣ Death Clock A - Dick de Benedictis [JKL describing the big one]
‣ ? ["You'll have to catch it... or you'll be stuck here..."]
‣ ? ["...forever."]
• Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["The big one... is almost upon us."]
• Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [Dutchman trying to take Krabs' cash register]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (A) - Dave Hewson ["Liar!"]
‣ Tomb Raider - Norman Dane ["This weather sure is dangerous."]
‣ Finger of Fear - Fredric Bayco [cash register hits Sandy's helicopter]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Dutchman knocked out]
‣ Wild Eyes - Ronald Hanmer ["Mayday...!"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Cashy!"]
‣ ? [Dutchman sinks]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dutchman wakes up]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Davy Jones' locker]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Dutchman groans]
‣ Daydream Believer - The Monkees [Davy Jones throws socks at Dutchman]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor F. Narholz ["Get ready, dudes, it's coming."]
‣ The Creature (b) - Gregor F. Narholz ["The big one always demands a sacrifice."]
‣ Dramatic Sea Battle - Gerhard Trede [paddling toward the wave]
• Tragic Violin - Nicolas Carr, Ezra Kliger ["I never even got a chance to tell him that I..."]
‣ Wild Panic - Gregor F. Narholz [JKL rescues Krabs]
‣ ? ["I guess the big one prefers a high protein meal."]
• Unknown Track 52 - SpongeBob playing bongos
• Sitar Transition - Nicolas Carr [JKL appears in the sky]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Sandy's helicopter crashes at Goo Lagoon]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["Don't make any funny moves, spaceman!"]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone walks away]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Welcome home!"]
• Sponge Twist - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [dance music]
• Unknown Track 52 - JKL returns
• Sponge Twist - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [ending]
‣ Daydream Believer - The Monkees [closing credits]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob vs. The Big One, Limited Edition 2 DVD Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, Season 6 Volume 1, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Really Big Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Treasure Chest: Double Pack, SpongeBob SquarePants Specials Collection, Vol. 1, Complete Sixth Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 9, Orange Collection, On the Road Again, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode originally aired at a party celebrating 10 years of SpongeBob SquarePants at the Sundance Film Festival, which lasted from January 15 to 25, 2009. The airing of the special includes differences from the final version:
- The animation was not done at that time, as for the most part, there were still images.
- There is a stunning amount of missing music and SFX, except for the song when they surf to JKL.
- This is the only season 6 appearance of The Flying Dutchman.
- This episode was available on the SpongeBob vs. The Big One DVD, released on Tuesday, March 3, 2009, one month before it aired on television.
- This episode was on SpongeBob.com before it aired in the United States.
- The background of the title card is the same as "Culture Shock," except it is blue instead of red.
- This is the only episode which includes SpongeBob's full name in the title.
- Promotions and several TV schedules for this episode have alternatively titled it "SpongeBob vs. The Big One," excluding the "SquarePants" part.
- The title card and opening credits is longer than any previous episode, lasting about 15 seconds instead of the regular 10 seconds for most other episodes. This is due to the multiple guest stars.
- Alongside, it is the first episode to have six opening credit transitions.
- In some countries, including Poland, Serbia, Central & Eastern Europe, the UK, and Taiwan they use an alternate title card that reads "SpongeBob SquarePants and the Big Wave."
- In some other countries, including Latvia, Ukraine, Australia, and Germany, they use an alternate title card that reads "The Secret of Kahuna Laguna."
- Jack's surfboard is always only shown at one side.
- The Flying Dutchman says that he has never seen Mr. Krabs before in this episode, despite having several meetings in previous episodes.
- Jack's advice to surfing is mainly "just keep breathing."
- Sandy manages to survive and thrive on a nearby island. This is similar to how she can also survive in "To Save a Squirrel," where she also used her bare hands to survive.
- List of things Sandy created while "thriving:"
- 5-star hotel
- Steam-powered generator
- Automobile which runs on coconut milk
- Espresso Bar
- A helicopter
- Davy Jones from The Monkees appears in this episode.
- "Daydream Believer," a song sung by him, is also heard when he throws a sock at the Flying Dutchman.
- Both Davy Jones and his locker appear in this episode, as opposed to other episodes where only his locker appears.
- The music for the end credits of this episode is The Monkees' "Daydream Believer."
- This is the first half-hour special of season 6.
- This episode marks the third year in a row that a double-length episode aired in April, after "Friend or Foe" in 2007 and "Pest of the West" in 2008.
- This is the fourth episode to have tikis on the title card. The first was "Hall Monitor," the second was "Culture Shock," and the third was "I Was a Teenage Gary."
- This is the fourth episode to contain a title of two characters versing each other. The first episode is "Krabs vs. Plankton," the second is "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget," and the third is "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob."
- This is the last episode storyboarded by Mike Roth before he decided to work on J. G. Quintel's series Regular Show on Cartoon Network.
- In Indonesia, Twitch says, "That's right. Kemosabe Island. Although, we sometimes refer to it as an... island." That means either he knows the name of the island, or Indonesia did not have a translation for the word kemosabe.
- In the French dub, this episode has two titles: "Bob surfe sur la vague," which translates to "Bob surfs on the wave," and "La vague parfaite," which translates to "The perfect wave." Because of this, this version uses two title cards.
- The German title of this episode, is "Die Welle Zuruck," which means "The Wave Back."
- The Dutch title of this episode is "Het geheim van Kahuna Laguna," which means "The secret of Kahuna Laguna."
- The Japanese title of this episode is "スポンジ・ボブとビーーッグウェ～ブ," which means "SpongeBob and (the) Big Wave."
- There is a Nintendo DS game called SpongeBob vs. The Big One: Beach Party Cook-Off that is based on this episode.
- This is the first season 6 episode to have a song.
- Jack survived The Big One, despite being the sacrifice.
- It is not possible for SpongeBob, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, the grill, and the cash register to balance on the surfboard.
- When Jack is coming out of his hut, his surfing board is too big to fit inside of the hut.
- In the picture SpongeBob shows Patrick, Squidward's shirt is white instead of brown. It is possible that he is just wearing a different shirt than what he usually wears.
- In 2010, the episode was nominated at the Golden Reel Awards for Best Sound Editing: Television Animation.
- With the exception of the opening scene, SpongeBob wears his Krusty Krab employee hat throughout the majority of the episode.
- The Dutchman's Triangle is a reference to the Bermuda Triangle.
- Kahmamoku Cove is a reference to famous surfer Duke Kahanamoku.
- Jack Kahuna Laguna has a striking resemblance to his voice actor, Johnny Depp.
- When Sandy is running, saying, "Where is everybody?!," footprints are shown behind her. But before she kneels down and says "I'm stranded," footprints are not shown behind her.
- There are actually two animation directors on this episode when the opening credits say that there is only one.
- When Mr. Krabs pets Cashy when he has a beard, the money compartment shoots out and hits the Flying Dutchman in the head. When the Flying Dutchman says that he cannot pay for more groceries and asks if he can borrow Mr. Krabs' money, the money compartment is back, despite being launched into the ocean earlier.
- The money compartment disappears again the next time Mr. Krabs is shown after that scene.
- When Sandy's helicopter rams into the Flying Dutchman's head, the helicopter appears to be size of Mr. Krabs.
- After Sandy's helicopter hits the Flying Dutchman's head, it veers toward a different island. However, she crash-lands on Goo Lagoon.
- When Sandy crashes on Goo Lagoon, her muzzle overlaps with her eyes.
- In some parts of the episode, Squidward's Krusty Krab employee hat randomly disappears.
- Near the end of the episode, when the fish are dancing, some have duplicate appearances.
- ^ https://game.donga.com/46612/
- ^ https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=el&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espressonews.gr%2F%CF%80%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%B5%CF%87%CF%8C%CE%BC%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%BF%2F22549%2F%CF%80%CE%AC%CF%81%CF%84%CE%B9-%CE%BC%CE%B5-%CE%B4%CE%AD%CE%BA%CE%B1-%CE%BA%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%AC%CE%BA%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CE%B3%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CF%84%CE%BF%CE%BD-%CF%83%CF%86%CE%BF%CF%85%CE%B3%CE%B3%CE%B1%CF%81%CE%AC%CE%BA%CE%B7
- ^ http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/clip/spongebob-at-sundance.html
|SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One (V • E)|
|Part of Think Happy - The Year of the Sponge|
Miscellaneous: DVD • Beach Party Cook-Off video game • Johnny Depp • Gnarly Rip Curl • On the Road Again • Limited Edition 2 DVD Box Set • Goo Lagoon Surfing Showdown • Surf's Up, SpongeBob! • SpongeBob SquarePants Specials Collection, Vol. 1 • Orange Collection