SpongeBob SquarePants: Filipino dub
SpongeBob SquarePants first aired on the Radio Philippines Network (now known as the CNN Philippines) from 2002 to 2004. After RPN lost its rights of airing Nickelodeon shows, ABC (later known as TV5) launched Nick on ABC/TV5 in 2006.
SpongeBob SquarePants episodes were later dubbed for the first time into Filipino on August 11, 2008, three days after ABC was relaunched into TV5, making them the first Nick broadcaster on free TV to do so.
SpongeBob SquarePants was also aired on Q Channel 11 (now known as GMA News TV) weekday mornings until February 18, 2011. ABS-CBN launched Nick Time (later Nickelodeon on ABS-CBN) on July 26, 2010 at 8:30 AM under their Team Animazing time block.
SpongeBob SquarePants was among others shown during Nick Time, thus continuing the Filipino dub that was started by TV5.
However, ABS-CBN's airing of SpongeBob SquarePants was criticized for having a majority of episodes edited due to lack of time. SpongeBob SquarePants ended on October 8, 2011 and replaced by Go, Diego, Go!, The Penguins of Madagascar, and El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera on October 15, 2011.
After a week, SpongeBob SquarePants went back to air. Studio 23 (now known as ABS-CBN S+A), ABS-CBN's UHF affiliate, launched Nickelodeon on Studio 23 on October 4, 2010. Like its mother station ABS-CBN, programs are dubbed in Filipino/Tagalog. The Nickelodeon on Studio 23 block temporarily ended last October 2011 and returned last January 2012.
After 4 years, Nickelodeon on Studio 23 ended airing its block on January 16, 2014 to pave way for the airing of ABS-CBN S+A. Nickelodeon on ABS-CBN S+A was launched on January 20, 2014 and all of its shows are reverted to its original English language rather than Filipino-dubbed. For some time, the Filipino/Tagalog dub extended airing on TV5. However, this ended in late 2014.
The Filipino/Tagalog dub now airs weekdays in the morning on ABS-CBN. Since the launch of ABS-CBN's new soft-run channels, the show now airs on its new kids' channel, Yey! with the Filipino dub, airing in order (by season), thus replacing the now defunct airing on ABS-CBN S+A.
The show still airs on ABS-CBN every Sunday morning at 8:30am, airing one episode in syndication.
However, in May 5, 2020, the National Telecommunications Commission has issued a cease-and-desist order on ABS-CBN's broadcast operations and later, in June 30, 2020, the Yey! channel has ceased to air due to the imposed alias cease-and-desist order. This leaves the local Nickelodeon channel becoming the only broadcaster of the show for sometime.
SpongeBob SquarePants on Nickelodeon Philippines
SpongeBob SquarePants has always been in English on Nickelodeon Philippines since a majority of Filipinos understand English, not needing a dub.
All shows on Nickelodeon Philippines are in English. The only difference is that some parts of SpongeBob SquarePants which were found not suitable were not included and removed in the Nickelodeon Philippines version.
Here is a partial list of the Filipino voice actors for the dub. The English names are used in this dub. Please see List of characters for all of the characters.
These episodes are the known ones to have been dubbed in Tagalog. This list is incomplete.
- "Procrastination" - The scene in where SpongeBob looks out the window, all his friends are there, and Patrick rubbing Sandy with Sun Lotion then says, "Come on, SpongeBob!" and SpongeBob exercising were remained only on Nickelodeon Philippines airings.
- "Your Shoe's Untied" - The scene where SpongeBob is watching a sea anemone "dancing" was removed due to unknown concerns only on Nickelodeon Philippines airings.
These shorts are the known ones to have been dubbed in Tagalog.
This list is incomplete, but you can help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
Numerous SpongeBob-themed/sponsored events have been held in the Philippines.
- A SpongeBob Christmas at Robinsons (2012)
- SpongeBob Summer at SM North EDSA (2013)
- Robinsons Movieworld: Meet and Greet SpongeBob (2015)
- The SpongeBob BFF – Best Friends Festival! (2015)
- Bikini Bottom Buddy Roundup (2015)
- RetroBob SquarePants (2015, Nickelodeon)
- Bagong Labas, BagongBob! (2015, Yey!)
- Siyam SpongeBob Saturdays (2015, ABS-CBN)
- When this show was first aired on RPN-9, it was shown in original English audio.
- None of the episodes' titles nor the characters' names are translated.
- Unlike most other SpongeBob SquarePants international dubs, this version does not change the title of the series.
- The theme song is not dubbed, and it is in English.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|