- Mermaid Man
- Barnacle Boy
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Trouser Troops (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Norma Rechid
- Fred (brown; blue; green)
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Abigail Marge
- Frankie Billy
- Old Man Jenkins
- Tina Fran
- Nat Peterson
- Martha Smith
- Mr. Smith (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Jennifer Millie
- Nathiel Waters
- Medley Fishbowl
- Green customer (debut)
- Truck driver (Big Rig) (debut)
- Orange customer
- Doris (name revealed)
- DMV tester (debut)
- Alternate-Universe SpongeBob
- Mrs. Puff
- Female fancy fish (debut)
- Male fancy fish (debut)
- Prawns (mentioned)
- Manatees (mentioned)
- Clown (mentioned)
- Sandy Cheeks
SpongeBob is first seen looking at billboard announcing a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie reboot. He then starts to shiver due to the cold breeze, replying that he has cold knees. Suddenly, a salesfish drives up and tells SpongeBob that he should buy long pants. SpongeBob, after thinking it over, decides to try on the long pants. When he does, the salesfish tells him that he looks more mature with the pants. SpongeBob doesn't believe it at first but does after Patrick walks by referring to him as "man" (though Patrick's reply is most likely due to him and SpongeBob being best friends). SpongeBob, pleased by the results, pays for the long pants and the salesfish walks off.
SpongeBob then heads to the Krusty Krab where he shows off his long pants to all of the customers who are amazed by his looks. Even Mr. Krabs didn't recognize SpongeBob at first until he got a closer look at him. SpongeBob shows off his new long pants to Mr. Krabs, and he decides to let SpongeBob use the cash register while putting Squidward in the kitchen.However, after Mr. Krabs sees that SpongeBob is not able to run the register properly, he decides to have him greet the customers instead. SpongeBob greets the pleased customers but soon decides not to do it anymore after getting ketchup on his long pants due to a messy eater. SpongeBob then decides he is too good for the Krusty Krab, and he decides to quit, and leaves.
In town, SpongeBob shows off his maturity by paying for a bill, but stops at the dry cleaners after a boatmobile gets water on him. A little later, SpongeBob decides to take the driver's test, and despite causing massive damage to other boats, the driving instructor decides to give SpongeBob his driver's license due to him wearing long pants and the blood flowing to the instructor's head (much to Mrs. Puff's horror). SpongeBob soon gets a job at Fancy! where the customers are impressed by his hospitality and long pants. When one of customers asks for his name, SpongeBob refers to himself as "SpongeRobert." The fancy customer then invites SpongeBob to a party, which he gladly follows him to.
SpongeBob is now at a party that he wasn't really expecting. SpongeBob notices a sign outside with the premiere of the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie reboot and asks the others if they could go and see the movie. However, the fancy fish recommends seeing a movie called The Table.
At the movie, SpongeBob is bored of it and notices Squidward after he yells at him. Squidward is then kicked out of the movie theater due to being too loud, and SpongeBob follows him out. Squidward angrily goes home, and Sandy, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs appear. Sandy asks if SpongeBob is going to see the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie. The fancy fish invite SpongeBob to drink coffee and watch the nightly news, but SpongeBob declines, saying he would rather see the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie and that he works at the Krusty Krab.
The fancy fish then leaves SpongeBob after realizing he is a fraud, and Sandy gives SpongeBob his ticket to get into the movie. Everybody else heads inside, but SpongeBob isn't allowed in due to his long pants. SpongeBob tries to take them off but is unsuccessful and starts crying. Mr. Krabs heads back out saying he can't watch the movie due to the crying and SpongeBob tells him that he wants his short pants back. Mr. Krabs then cuts off SpongeBob's legs, who is able to grow them back and is pleased that his pants are short again.
Mr. Krabs expects to see SpongeBob working again the next day and even gives him a chance to cook outside. SpongeBob says he is able to drive to work now, but the driving instructor appears and rips up the license due to him not wearing long pants anymore. Mrs. Puff then calms down glad that whatever happened is over.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin ["Wow, another Mermaid Man reboot."]
‣ Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Salesman offers SpongeBob long pants.]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [Salesman compliments SpongeBob.]
‣ Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [SpongeBob pays.]
‣ Movin' Along - Sam Spence [SpongeBob enters at the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs tells SpongeBob to run the register.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs throws Squidward into the kitchen.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 23 - Squidward cooking patties.
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward grumbles.]
‣ Gala Performance - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob greeting customers.]
‣ Agitation [#29] - Phil Green [Customers eating messily.]
‣ Agitation Bridge 5 - Phil Green [SpongeBob's pants get stained.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Nothing like that, Mr. Krabs"]
‣ Brave Legend - Larry Hochman ["Time for me to move on"]
‣ Movin' Along - Sam Spence [SpongeBob walking on the streets/At the dry cleaning.]
‣ Busy Schedule - Cyril Watters [Old lady passes driving test.]
‣ Broadway Bustle - Leslie Manson [SpongeBob takes driving test.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gets his license.]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz ["Lock your doors, bar your windows, it's the end of the world!"]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [Help wanted at fancy restaurant.]
‣ String Quartet for Harpsichord - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob is invited to a party.]
‣ Lounging and Fine Dining - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [At the party.]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin ["Hey, what's that?"]
‣ Lounging and Fine Dining - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, guys, I've got an idea!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["It's called 'The Table'"]
‣ ? [At the movie.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (o) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward exits the theater.]
‣ Silly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["SpongeRobert, are you coming?"]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["I actually work there!"]
‣ Silly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Fishes leave SpongeBob.]
‣ Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Nicolas Carr, Michael Bolger, Pat Irwin [Everyone going to the Mermaid Man movie.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm sorry, you can't come in"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trying to remove his long pants.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries.]
‣ ? ["Oh, for pete's sake."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs snip SpongeBob's pants.]
‣ Uku Bye Layly - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob LongPants, Complete Ninth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- The trailer for this episode states that "we" (the audience) have never seen SpongeBob in long pants. However, he has worn long pants on numerous occasions, usually as dress pants, such as "The Chaperone" and "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants."
- This is now the second episode where SpongeBob has worn long pants.
- That means this episode takes place before "The Chaperone" and "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants."
- This is now the second episode where SpongeBob has worn long pants.
- The font on the title card resembles the style that was used in "A SquarePants Family Vacation."
- This episode takes place after "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture" because in that episode, Mermaid Man claims they've never been on the big screen.
- One of the trailers released for this episode was a music video about SpongeBob's long pants.
- This episode premiered ten years after Nicktoons Winners Cup Racing was released, six years after "Back to the Past" and "The Bad Guy Club for Villains" premiered, and two years before "Fun-Sized Friends" premiered.
- Kaz is credited as his full name, Kaz Prapuolenis, in the opening credits. This is fixed in the DVD version.
- This was the first episode to premiere in 2016.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob willingly quits/resigns working at the Krusty Krab.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob finds and wears another pair of pants, the first being "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob is referred to as "Robert." The first is "Patrick SmartPants."
- This is the second episode to mention a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie. The first is "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture."
- This is the third episode to have a play on SpongeBob's name in the title. The first is "MuscleBob BuffPants," the second is "SquidBob TentaclePants," and the fourth is "CopyBob DittoPants."
- The long pants have three differences from SpongeBob's normal pants: the long pants have longer legs, no belt buckle, and have a zipper.
- Mrs. Puff has many rations in her house, one of which is flour. However, it is spelled "flower."
- Irony: SpongeBob could have just rolled the pant legs up while going into the movie theater, as they would be knee highs.
- This episode supposedly premiered on Annoy Squidward Day (if the date of the holiday is correct).
- In France, this episode is called "Le Nouveau Pantalon" which translates to "The New Pants."
- The Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie title The Dark Tide Rises is a reference to the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises.
- The art film The Table is a parody of artist Andy Warhol's films such as Empire, Eat, and Sleep, which solely feature one object or activity being shown for hours.