- Mermaid Man
- Barnacle Boy
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeRobert (debut)
- Trouser Troops (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 49
- Fred (brown; blue; green)
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 107
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 68
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 186
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 85
- Green customer (debut)
- Truck driver (Big Rig) (debut)
- Chubby customer
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 87
- Doris (name revealed)
- Incidental 82
- DMV tester (debut)
- Alternate-Universe SpongeBob
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 2
- Male fancy fish (debut)
- Prawns (mentioned)
- Manatees (mentioned)
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 20
- Clown (mentioned)
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 152
- Sandy Cheeks
In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob is first seen looking at billboard announcing a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie reboot. He then starts to shiver due to the cold breeze, replying that he has cold knees. Suddenly, a salesfish drives up and tells SpongeBob that he should buy long pants. SpongeBob, after thinking it over, decides to try on the long pants. When he does, the salesfish tells him that he looks more mature with the pants. SpongeBob doesn't believe it at first, but does after Patrick walks by referring to him as "man." SpongeBob, pleased by the results, pays for the long pants and the salesfish walks off.
SpongeBob then heads to the Krusty Krab, where he shows off his long pants to all of the customers, who are amazed by his looks. Even Mr. Krabs does not recognize SpongeBob at first until he gets a closer look at him. SpongeBob shows off his new long pants to Mr. Krabs, and he decides to let SpongeBob use the cash register while putting Squidward in the kitchen. However, after Mr. Krabs sees that SpongeBob is not able to run the register properly, he decides to have him greet the customers instead. SpongeBob greets the pleased customers, but soon decides not to do it anymore after getting ketchup on his long pants due to a messy eater. SpongeBob then decides he is too good for the Krusty Krab, and he decides to quit, and leaves.
In town, SpongeBob shows off his maturity by paying for a bill, but stops at the dry cleaners after a boatmobile gets water on him. A little later, SpongeBob decides to take the driver's test, and despite causing massive damage to other boats, the driving instructor decides to give SpongeBob his driver's license due to him wearing long pants and the blood flowing to the instructor's head (much to Mrs. Puff's horror). SpongeBob soon gets a job at Fancy!, where the customers are impressed by his hospitality and long pants. When one of customers asks for his name, SpongeBob refers to himself as "SpongeRobert." The fancy customer then invites SpongeBob to a party, which he gladly follows him to.
SpongeBob is now at a party that he was not really expecting. SpongeBob notices a sign outside with the premiere of the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie reboot and asks the others if they could go and see the movie. However, the fancy fish recommends seeing a movie called The Table.
At the movie, SpongeBob is bored of it and notices Squidward after he yells at him. Squidward is then kicked out of the movie theater due to being too loud, and SpongeBob follows him out. Squidward angrily goes home, and Sandy, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs appear. Sandy asks if SpongeBob is going to see the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie. The fancy fish invite SpongeBob to drink coffee and watch the nightly news, but SpongeBob declines, saying he would rather see the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie and that he works at the Krusty Krab.
The fancy fish then leaves SpongeBob after realizing he is a fraud, and Sandy gives SpongeBob his ticket to get into the movie. Everybody else heads inside, but the Ticketman will not let SpongeBob head inside because long pants are not allowed in the theater when it is against the house rules for this movie. SpongeBob tries to take them off, but is unsuccessful and starts to break down in tears. Mr. Krabs heads back out, saying he cannot watch the movie due to the crying, and SpongeBob tells him that he wants his short pants back. Mr. Krabs then cuts off SpongeBob's legs, who is able to grow them back and is pleased that his pants are short again.
Mr. Krabs expects to see SpongeBob working again the next day and even gives him a chance to cook outside. SpongeBob says he is able to drive to work now, but the driving instructor appears and rips up the license due to him not wearing long pants anymore. Mrs. Puff then calms down, glad that whatever happened is over, as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• SpongeBob Comic Tag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin ["Wow, another Mermaid Man reboot."]
• Shop O Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Salesman offers SpongeBob long pants.]
• The Donut Dilema - Nicolas Carr [Salesman compliments SpongeBob.]
• Shop O Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [SpongeBob pays.]
‣ Movin' Along - Sam Spence [SpongeBob enters at the Krusty Krab.]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs tells SpongeBob to run the register.]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs throws Squidward into the kitchen.]
• The Frycook's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Squidward cooking patties.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward grumbles.]
‣ Gala Performance - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob greeting customers.]
‣ Agitation [#29] - Phil Green [Customers eating messily.]
‣ Agitation Bridge 5 - Phil Green [SpongeBob's pants get stained.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Nothing like that, Mr. Krabs"]
‣ Brave Legend - Larry Hochman ["Time for me to move on"]
‣ Movin' Along - Sam Spence [SpongeBob walking on the streets/At the dry cleaning.]
‣ Busy Schedule - Cyril Watters [Old lady passes driving test.]
‣ Broadway Bustle - Leslie Manson [SpongeBob takes driving test.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gets his license.]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz ["Lock your doors, bar your windows, it's the end of the world!"]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Help wanted at fancy restaurant.]
• String Quartet for Harpsichord - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob is invited to a party.]
• Lounging and Fine Dining No Vibes - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [At the party.]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin ["Hey, what's that?"]
• Lounging and Fine Dining No Vibes - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, guys, I've got an idea!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["It's called 'The Table'"]
• The Table 2D - Steve Marston [At the movie.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward exits the theater.]
• Unknown Goofy Cue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["SpongeRobert, are you coming?"]
• Birth of the Krabby Patty - Nicolas Carr ["I actually work there!"]
• Unknown Goofy Cue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Fishes leave SpongeBob.]
• Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Nicolas Carr, Michael Bolger, Pat Irwin [Everyone going to the Mermaid Man movie.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm sorry, you can't come in"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trying to remove his long pants.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries.]
‣ ? ["Oh, for pete's sake."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs snip SpongeBob's pants.]
• Uku Bye Layly - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob LongPants, Complete Ninth Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 16, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- The trailer for this episode states that "we" as the audience have never seen SpongeBob in long pants. However, he has worn long pants on numerous occasions, usually as dress pants.
- The font on the title card resembles the style that was used in "A SquarePants Family Vacation."
- The trailer for this episode features footage from "Ripped Pants," "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants," The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, and "All That Glitters."
- One of the trailers released for this episode was a music video about SpongeBob's long pants.
- In the beginning credits, Kaz is credited as his full name, Kaz Prapuolenis, in the opening credits on USA airings and digital versions. This is the only episode in which he has been credited with his surname. However, his name is shortened to Kaz on the DVD releases and international non-USA airings (except for Central and Eastern Europe) of this episode.
- Additionally, instead of saying "producer" in Jennie Monica's credit, it says "produced by." This is the first episode to do that.
- This is the third episode where SpongeBob willingly quits/resigns working at the Krusty Krab. The first was "Nature Pants" and the second was "Patty Hype".
- This episode supposedly premiered on Annoy Squidward Day.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob finds and wears another pair of pants. The first was "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants."
- This is the second episode in the series where SpongeBob is referred to as "Robert." The first was "Patrick SmartPants."
- This is the second episode in the series to mention a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie. The first was "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture."
- This is the third episode in the series to have a play on SpongeBob's name in the title. The first was "MuscleBob BuffPants," and the second was "SquidBob TentaclePants."
- The long pants have three differences from SpongeBob's normal pants: the long pants have longer legs, no belt buckle, and have a zipper.
- Mrs. Puff has many rations in her house, one of which is flour. However, it is spelled "flower."
- This episode was originally scheduled to premiere on Friday, February 19, 2016, but it was instead moved to February 15, 2016/President Day for unknown reasons.
- In the French dub, this episode's title is called "Le Nouveau Pantalon," which translates to "The New Pants."
- The Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie title The Dark Tide Rises is a parody to the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises.
- The art film The Table references artist Andy Warhol's films such as Empire, Eat, and Sleep, which solely feature one object or activity being shown for hours.