The "SpongeBob Closing Theme" was composed by Steve Belfer. As the name suggests, it is used in the end credits of the show. The track has two versions, which have both been used as background music in some episodes.
In addition the the below listed instances, this version plays during the ending credits when watching episodes on most DVDs or on Demand. It is also the menu music for many of the SpongeBob SquarePants DVDs.
- 4a. "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" - SpongeBob and Patrick are blowing bubble messages to each other.
- 6a. "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy" - SpongeBob tells Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy that he and Patrick are almost finished painting their Invisible Boatmobile.
- 8b. "Squeaky Boots" - "Could the greatest fry cook do that, Mr. Krabs?"
- 26a. "Grandma's Kisses" - SpongeBob gets mad at Patrick.
- 26b. "Squidville" - Squidward starts playing with the abandoned reef blower.
- 29a. "Survival of the Idiots" - SpongeBob tests the earmuffs.
- 58a. "Missing Identity" - Patrick forgets where SpongeBob's name tag is.
Interestingly enough, this version is always used as background music and has never served as an end credits theme.
- 1c. "Tea at the Treedome" - The opening
- 2a. "Bubblestand" - "Good morning."
- 7a. "Hall Monitor" - SpongeBob tries to get Patrick's attention.
- 12b. "Employee of the Month" - Squidward talks to SpongeBob about the Employee of the Month Award while being continuously splatted by Patty meat.
- 14a. "SB-129" - "Ready to go?"; An electronic version of the cue can be heard while SpongeTron thaws Squidward; A primitive version of the cue is heard when Squidward "invents" jellyfishing in the past.
- 17a. "Arrgh!" - Patrick rolls a five and sends Mr. Krabs to jail; Patrick and SpongeBob touch the treasure map.
- 17b. "Rock Bottom" - SpongeBob searches his pockets for money.
- 20a. "Hooky" - "Hmm, I sense no danger here."
- 20b. "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II" - "I come down here in my underwear to open a jar of mayonnaise?"
- 22a. "Something Smells" - SpongeBob saved some of his sundae.
- 23a. "Big Pink Loser" - SpongeBob teaches Patrick to get the lid off of the jar.
- 30a. "No Free Rides" - SpongeBob sharpens his pencil.
- 35a. "The Secret Box" - "Hey, hands off, PeepingBob!"
- 37b. "I'm with Stupid" - Upon meeting Patrick's "parents," SpongeBob acts stupid.
- 44a. "Nasty Patty" - The health inspector is stuffed inside SpongeBob's hat.
- 45b. "Doing Time" - SpongeBob and Patrick try to rob a bank.
- 62a. "The Lost Mattress" - "Why are you two dressed up as meat?" (Low pitched)
- 64b. "Good Neighbors" - Squidward sees SpongeBob in his house.
- 76a. "The Thing" - "Do it again! Do it again!"
- 123-124. "Truth or Square" - Patchy dreams he found SpongeBob.
- This track plays at 117 beats per minute.
- In Japan, it is replaced with the Japanese ending after the episode ends, although the credits theme plays in Japanese dubs of episodes if one lives in Japan.
- SpongeBob hums the tune to this track while walking to Mr. Krabs' office in "Krabs vs. Plankton."
- He also whistles the tune while he's sitting at the table in "Breakin'."
- The second version was played at the Spongebob panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2015, this marks the first usage of the second version since "Truth or Square." Although it was -1.5 semitones in pitch.
- "Truth or Square" is the only special episode to use this music.