- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mr. Ranger (debut)
- Singing coral (debut)
- Larry the Lobster
- Barnacle Boy
- Mermaid Man
- Old Man Walker (cameo)
- Incidental 90 (cameo)
- Incidental 92 (cameo)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Incidental 42 (cameo)
- Mr. Mayor (debut)
- Barney (cameo)
- Bailiff (debut)
- Incidental 48 (cameo)
- Anchovies (cameo)
- Incidental 65 (cameo)
- Incidental 108 (cameo)
- Incidental 104 (cameo)
- Incidental 14 (cameo)
- Incidental 105 (cameo)
- Incidental 107 (cameo)
- Fred (cameo)
- Incidental 37A (cameo)
- Incidental 67 (cameo)
- Incidental 27 (cameo)
- Incidental 93 (cameo)
- Incidental 7 (cameo)
- Incidental 41 (cameo)
- Incidental 60 (cameo)
- Incidental 47
- Sandals (cameo)
- Incidental 64 (cameo)
- Incidental 8 (cameo)
- Incidental 6 (cameo)
- Incidental 151 (cameo)
- Fish with the pizza (cameo)
- Incidental 153
- Fish in boat (cameo)
- Toll booth dish (cameo)
- Owl (cameo)
- Gorilla (mentioned)
- Incidental 152 (cameo)
- Mr. Buxton (debut)
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Fleas (cameo)
- Construction worker (cameo)
- Fish on magazines (cameo)
- Incidental 69 (cameo)
- Incidental 23 (cameo)
- Incidental 16 (cameo)
- Officer John Slugfish (cameo)
- Incidental 118 (cameo)
- Grandma SquarePants (mentioned)
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 25 (cameo)
- Incidental 150 (cameo)
- Confetti girl (debut)
- Parade band (debut)
- Incidental 40 (cameo)
- Clown (cameo)
- Blue clown (debut)
- Incidental 45
- Mascot (debut)
- Fish on stilts (cameo)
- Conjoined twins (debut)
- Santa fish (debut)
- Incidental 82 (cameo)
- Incidental 81 (cameo)
- Incidental 85 (cameo)
- Incidental 87 (cameo)
- Incidental 84 (cameo)
- Purple wrestler (cameo)
- Jim (wrestler) (cameo)
- Scottish group (debut)
- Choir (debut)
- Incidental 31 (cameo)
- Incidental 4 (cameo)
- Incidental 119 (cameo)
- Incidental 36 (cameo)
- Incidental 13 (cameo)
- Incidental 49 (cameo)
- Incidental 73 (cameo)
- Scooter (cameo)
- Karen Plankton (cameo)
- Incidental 103 (cameo)
- Ben Blenny (debut)
- Perch Perkins (mentioned)
- Gus' parents (mentioned)
- Dr. Slean (mentioned)
- Sally (mentioned)
- Mabel (mentioned)
- Incidental 37B (cameo)
- Gus' pals in El Tuna (mentioned)
- Gang at the Pudgy Flipper (mentioned)
- Incidental 2 (cameo)
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 68
- Martha Smith
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Incidental 155 (cameo)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode begins at Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob then takes a moment to realize how lucky he and Patrick are to be among the jellyfish. They take the time to pay tribute and sing "The Jellyfishing Song." Patrick then notices a large billboard and points it out to SpongeBob. They read the sign and find out that the Shelly Superhighway is going to be built over Jellyfish Fields, so SpongeBob goes into town alone, trying to stop the destruction of Jellyfish Fields.
No one listens, so SpongeBob goes to work, very sad. Mr. Krabs says he is actually supporting the construction of the highway, much to SpongeBob's dismay. He explains that he will get more customers if the highway is built. SpongeBob discovers that Plankton is the founder of this highway and that his plan was to build over the Krusty Krab to run them out of business. The ending of the highway leads to the Chum Bucket to steal all the customers that Mr. Krabs once had.
SpongeBob and Patrick then pass out flyers and sing "Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance," trying to get Bikini Bottom to save Jellyfish Fields. They find out that people are on the highway's side when they are pelted with their own flyers. Nat then tells SpongeBob and Patrick that the highway is what everyone wants by crushing the tambourine that Patrick was playing as part of the song.
The police then come and control the riot, arresting SpongeBob and Patrick because the former did not have a license on his sitar (actually resisting the highway project). The police then throw them out in the middle of nowhere. During this time, Patrick remembers what his Great-uncle Cletus said before he was arrested in a Freedom March and urges them to continue to support Jellyfish Fields.
After they are abandoned, they think a parade would get people to go down with the highway, but as soon as they are brainstorming, a parade for the highway passes by, followed by Plankton, with a paver to build the highway. SpongeBob tries to stop him, only to be crushed by the paver while Patrick plays the trumpet. All the life is sucked out of Jellyfish Fields as well, causing all of the jellyfish to retreat.
The scene then cuts to a severely polluted and trashed Bikini Bottom with the Shelly Superhighway forming a concrete arch over the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs are in the Krusty Krab, which is out of business like Plankton planned. Mr. Krabs says that he will initiate "Plan Z-niner niner," which involves him giving away the formula to Plankton and closing the Krusty Krab. Squidward is delighted that he no longer has to work at the Krusty Krab. However, the jellyfish soon attack and destroy Bikini Bottom with rage, causing the Bikini Bottomites to panic.
Just as Mr. Krabs is about to sell the formula to Plankton, Mr. Krabs flees as Plankton is grabbed and stung by the jellyfish and news broadcast this coverage about it until one of the fish starts unnecessarily waving at his relatives, must to the reporter's annoyance. Seeing an opportunity, SpongeBob uses this chance to convince the Bikini Bottomites to restore Jellyfish Fields through a news broadcast. Everyone still opposes until SpongeBob asks if they were kidding, which they confirm. Soon, SpongeBob rides Plankton's paver in an attempt to demolish the highway, but it does not budge. A severely stung, but still standing, Plankton appears and gloats that his highway is indestructible. However, the Bikini Bottomites turn against Plankton and help SpongeBob by pushing the paver, giving them enough momentum to unpave the highway and restore Jellyfish Fields. Panicked, Plankton tries to stop it, but is crushed by the paver. As SpongeBob and the Bikini Bottomites destroy the highway and columns pavement.
The Krusty Krab is back in business and the episode ends with the Bikini Bottomites in Jellyfish Fields singing "The Jellyfishing Song." The Jellyfish Fields is now instantly restored to its natural statement, as the episode ends.
- Patrick misunderstanding SpongeBob's questions and answering something that he already knows.
Nickelodeon officially announced the episode on a press release on April 5, 2010. According to the network, "SpongeBob and Patrick learn the 'Shelly Super Highway' is coming to Bikini Bottom - right through Jellyfish Fields! They must find a way to galvanize their neighbors, or it could be the end for Jellyfish Fields forever."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Wahini Wobble Faster - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Solo Steel 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [Opening]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Ranger opens Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Grand Pastures [#33] - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob and Patrick go jellyfishing]
‣ New Country [#41] - Harry Bluestone ["You like it here so much you feel yourself being moved to a song?"]
‣ New Country [#48] - Harry Bluestone ["Let's just start with the song."]
◦ Jellyfishing - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [Big sign]
‣ Apprehensive 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Superhighway?!"/"So what you're saying is, that if they go though with their plans..."]
‣ Command Post 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob vows to keep the Shelly Superhighway from being built]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Larry lifts weights]
‣ Aloha Oé - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy at Shady Shoals]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence ["Apathy!"]
• Comedic Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston ["I'm sorry, SpongeBob."]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob falls apart]
• Sad Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [At the Krusty Krab]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Really, Mr. Krabs?"]
• Flextone Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Uh, you're not talking about the Shelly Superhighway, are ya?"]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screams]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs explains why he is in favor of the highway being built]
‣ Danger HQ - Norman Dane [SpongeBob reveals the highway plan]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (g) - Keith Mansfield ["Plan approved by Sheldon Plankton Enterprises."]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Think this piece will get the point across?"]
• Unknown Goofy Cue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob approach Plankton]
• Flashback - Nicolas Carr [start of flashback]
• Stately Brass & Strings - Steve Marston [Town hall meeting]
• Flashback - Nicolas Carr [end of flashback]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["Now if you'll excuse me, I've got superhighway preparations to be attending to."]
• In a Minor Mood Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Well, I'm gonna do the only thing I can do when me character is tested by insurmountable odds."]
• Triumphant Transition - Steve Marston [SpongeBob says he is not giving up]
‣ Darting Around - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob and Patrick give out flyers]
◦ Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, wait a minute."]
• Steel Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield ["This is one of our flyers."]
‣ Dramatic End [#49] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'll tell you what it means!"]
• Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [Cops arrive]
‣ Dramatic Impact (6) - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob and Patrick get arrested.]
• Psycadelic Man - Nicolas Carr ["Let not your heart walk away from you..."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Patrick are left on the edge of nowhere/"They left us in the middle of nowhere."]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Now Entering Nowhere"]
• Tension Threat - Nicolas Carr [Rain cloud is above SpongeBob and Patrick]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Still raining]
‣ Final Summit A - Mladen Franko ["I'm not ready to give up just yet!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, a parade!"]
• Super Highway March - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Shelly Superhighway parade]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [People murmuring]
• Jolly Good Fellow - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Everyone sings]
• Super Highway March - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton paves over Jellyfish Fields]
• Blazing Baloney Western - Nicolas Carr ["I won't let you do it, Plankton!"]
• Super Highway March - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Parade music]
‣ Unknown Track 79 - ? [Plankton paves over Jellyfish Fields]
• Super Highway March - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Parade music]
‣ Spritely Sprite [#67] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [The highway is finished]
• Poor Ol Sod Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Concrete arch over Krusty Krab]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Fax machine]
• Shanty Dirge - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston ["Mr. Krabs, what are you saying?"]
‣ International Intrigue - Joe Sherman ["It's time to active Plan Zed-Dash-Niner-Niner."]
‣ Dramatic Impact (6) - Ivor Slaney ["Zed-Dash-Niner-Niner?!"]
‣ Imminent Action [#11] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Mr. Krabs tries to explain]
‣ Drama Link (E) - Hubert Clifford ["I'm selling the Krabby Patty formula to Plankton!"]
‣ Drama Link (O) - Hubert Clifford ["Tell me that I'm dreaming."]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben [Karen massages Plankton]
• Sad Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs is at the door]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [Plankton hears something]
‣ Death And Destruction 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Jellyfish invade the Chum Bucket]
• Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob is sad]
‣ Death And Destruction 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Jellyfish invade Bikini Bottom]
• Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [News on TV]
‣ Drama Link (F) - Hubert Clifford [Jellyfish chase SpongeBob]
‣ International Law - Peter Yorke ["Stop the madness!"]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["You're kidding, right?"]
‣ The Adventurers - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob tries to destroy the highway]
‣ Battle March Link (a) - Keith Mansfield ["Good effort, SpongeDope!"]
• I'm Ready Fanfare - Nicolas Carr ["Larry Lobster!"]
‣ Sports and Games - Gerhard Narholz ["Sandy Squirrel! Mrs. Puff! Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy! Patrick!"]
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz [Everyone helps SpongeBob destroy the highway]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [choir]
◦ Jellyfishing - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Last Stand, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 11, Celebrate the Sea, 3 DVD Value Pack Volume 2, Big Hits: Volume 1, Triple Pack 2, Complete Seventh Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- Derek Iversen stated in his interview that the original storyline for the episode was completely different, including references to Rip Van Vinkle and the choking dust cloud enveloping Bikini Bottom.
- One of the signs seen in the episode reappears in "Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle" and "Lighthouse Louie."
- This is the first half hour special of season 7.
- The band in the parade is seen wearing the same outfits as Squidward's band in "Band Geeks" and "The Great Snail Race."
- This episode is declared as the SpongeBob Earth Day Special.
- This is the second episode where Patrick has a badge pinned through his skin without feeling any pain. The first is "Stuck in the Wringer."
- Coincidentally, both are season 7 episodes and using "Wahini Wobble" as the title card music.
- It is clear at the end of the episode "The Great Patty Caper" that the Shelly Superhighway is intact.
- Coincidentally, both episodes are from season 7 and are specials.
- This episode had an online game featured on SpongeBob.com, which also helped Nickelodeon's The Big Help: an organization/movement about people playing on an online game, who would do events/things to save the environment and biodiversity in real life, in order to get points in their game; also, the Big Help was promoted by various Nickelodeon stars, like Miranda Cosgrove, among others.
- This is the first episode to be premiered simulcast in the United States, Canada, and Latin America in the same date. In this case, the 2010 Earth Day.
- Also, this is the second episode to be aired simulcast in the US and Latin America. The first was "Dunces and Dragons."
- A clip from this episode was used in Nick bumpers in 2011.
- This episode was available on the SpongeBob's Last Stand DVD, released on March 16, 2010, one month before it premiered on television.
- Coincidentally, both this episode and "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One" aired in April and their DVDs were released in March.
- This episode is famous to environmental protesters since it features environmental protesting, which is SpongeBob and Patrick protesting against the construction of Shelly Superhighway, threatening Jellyfish Fields.
- This episode is also controversial to big business along with the season 4 episode "Selling Out."
- The parade includes flower girls, a marching band, a float with clowns and models, a fish with long legs, conjoined twins, a Santa fish on a limo, old folks being whipped by the wrestlers from "Krusty Krushers," a bagpipe band, a giant cat float, a choir, rock stars, and Plankton in a bulldozer.
- This is the second episode where Sandy has fleas. The first is "A Flea in Her Dome."
- Sandy has real fur in this episode. She would not have been relieved by scratching if she wore a pelt.
- In "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy," Sandy wears a pelt.
- This episode premiered after a three-hour Long SpongeBob Jellyfish Earth Day Marathon.
- During the song "Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance," many references are made to past episodes.
- When the crowd throws trash at SpongeBob and Patrick, fish skeletons are seen.
- However, most of the Bikini Bottomites are fish.
- The Chum Bucket slogan "Chum is Fum" is seen on a billboard. This is a reference to the episode "Chum Bucket Supreme” where Patrick came up with that slogan for the Chum Bucket.
- In the online game Super Brawl, there is a stage based on this episode.
- In Brazil, this episode's title is "Bob Esponja Protesta," which translates to "SpongeBob Protests."
- After the Shelly Superhighway is built, a shot of the Krusty Krab is shown.
- Notice the graffiti on the concrete in front of the Krusty Krab.
- Later, a different shot is seen and the graffiti is notably different.
- When SpongeBob gets in the way of Plankton's steamroller, he is wearing an outfit similar to what he wears in "Band Geeks."
- However, when he gets run over, he is in his underwear.
- On the highway supports around the Krusty Krab is a range of different writing and drawings.
- The choir from "Choir Boys" and "A Day Without Tears" is seen again.
- "Plan Zed-99" means "surrender the formula to Plankton." "Zed" is the pronunciation of letter Z in some countries, the last letter of the alphabet, and when it comes to two-digit numbers, 99 is the very last number.
- Plankton breaks the fourth wall when he says "Observe in this conveniently timed flashback."
- The title card pops up through the Shelly Superhighway.
- On the highway supports around the Krusty Krab is a range of different writing and drawings. One is a drawing of Squidward. Another says "Paul", possibly an allusion to Paul Tibbitt.
- When Patrick uses supposedly intelligent language to discuss the consequences of the highway, he uses the word "specie" as a singular for "species." The singular is actually "species."
- SpongeBob illegally drives a bulldozer as he does not have a license.
- The area after the highway was built looks similar to the other side of the county line from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- This episode is one of two episodes in season 7 to use the Crowd Scream sound effect, the other being "Whelk Attack."
- A clip of this episode was used in an announcement commercial informing viewers that Viacom was going off the air from DirecTV back in July 2012.
- The hippies suits from this episode reappear in the season 11 episode "There's a Sponge in My Soup."
- This is the last episode to play the previously APM (now Warner Chappell/CPM) tracks "Background Blues."
- The title of this episode is a reference to the 1936 serial movie Custer's Last Stand, or the most common name for the Battle of the Little Bighorn, the battle for which the film is based off of.
- The reggae section of "The Jellyfishing Song" is a parody of the song, "Smoke Two Joints."
- SpongeBob standing in front of Plankton's Tractor is a reference to the man standing in front of the column of tanks in the Tiananmen Square Massacre of 1989.
- The song "Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance" references John Lennon's "Give Peace A Chance" and Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues."
- The line "Frankly, my dear sponge, I don't give a barnacle" is a parody of the line from Gone with the Wind, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
- Plankton's "I love the smell of tar in the morning" line is taken from the line "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" from the film Apocalypse Now.
- In the final scene, before the camera zooms out, if one pauses it at the right moment, they will notice that some of the characters' eyes are slightly off.
- After the highway goes over the Krusty Krab and goes over a loop, it goes into the Chum Bucket, but that is impossible because the Chum Bucket is across the street to the Krusty Krab.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are abandoned by the police, SpongeBob loses his shoes.
- Before the rain falls on them, SpongeBob has his shoes and shirt's sleeve on. Afterwards, he does not have them anymore.
- After SpongeBob says, "It's working, Patrick! They're booing the highway," the booing stops from the soundtrack, but the crowd's lips are seen, still booing.
- In the first scene with Ben Flenny, he uses shoes, but in the second, when Bill appears, the reporter is not wearing shoes.
- Karen is seen running without being plugged in.
- Before Mr. Krabs says that he likes saying "Aye," the fish next to him is yellow, but when he says it, the fish is green.
- Right before the commercial break, the rainwater spreads, but afterwards becomes a circular puddle.
- After Plankton builds the highway, all the other streets in Bikini Bottom disappear.
- ^ Production artwork (as shown below) lists the number "714" on the top right.
- ^ http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/network-press-releases/spongebob-campaigns-to-save-jellyfish-fields-in-spongebobs-last-stand-premiering-earth-day-april-22-on-nickelodeon/47373/
- ^ An Interview on SpongeBob SquarePants Writer Derek Iversen
- ^ https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cUgbTx-Ro