Warning! This page contains spoilers of an episode that has recently aired in the United States. Do not continue reading if you wish not to be spoiled.
"SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season twelve. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick tour the surface world, while the rest of Bikini Bottom prepares a surprise party for SpongeBob.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Mrs. Puff
- Gary the Snail
- Patchy the Pirate
- Potty the Parrot
- French Narrator
- David Hasselhoff
- Bikini Bottomites
- Mermaid Man (cameo as a toy)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo as a toy)
- Peter Lorre Fish (debut)
- PA System (debut)
- Office Middle Management (debut)
- Carol (debut)
- Perch Perkins
- Rock Bottom Bus Station manager
- Brown eel
- Tough guy
- Frank (whale)
- Unnamed sailor
- Harold SquarePants
- Margaret SquarePants
- Zeus the Guitar Lord
- Tattletale Strangler
- King Neptune
- Princess Mindy
- Bubble Bass
- Glow fish
- Electric eel
- Grubby Grouper
- Flats the Flounder
- Larry the Lobster
- Hat kid
- Monty P. Moneybags
- Hoopla Fish
- The Chief (pictured)
- Man Ray (cameo as a toy)
- Dirty Bubble (cameo as a toy)
- Beanie McBean (debut)
- Jack Griffo (debut)
- Daniella Perkins (debut)
- Kel Mitchell (debut)
- Jace Norman (debut)
- Cory Demeyers (debut)
- Lana McKissack (debut)
- Sydney Olson (debut)
- Can (debut)
- Gorilla Boss (debut)
- Monkey Middle Managers (debut)
- Gilbert Gottfried (debut)
- Dog walker
The episode will be 44 minutes long. The first clip of the episode was shown during a commercial break of the 2019 Kids' Choice Awards on March 23, 2019. The following day, an extended version of the clip was released to the official Twitter account.
It will feature the voice cast of Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Clancy Brown, Doug Lawrence, Jill Talley, Carolyn Lawrence, Mary Jo Catlett, and Lori Alan. With the exception of Mrs. Puff and Gary, live-action versions of the animated characters were played by their voice actors in the Surface Land sequence.
Tom Kenny noted, "I don't want to live in a live action world. I want to live in the cartoon world." In the episode, he had to perform in character on a Krusty Krab set along with the rest of the voice cast, who were also dressed as their respective characters.
On May 22, 2019, an article from Entertainment Weekly revealed images of the voice cast playing their human forms. Other images revealed that David Hasselhoff will be guest starring standing next to Patchy the Pirate.
On June 22, 2019, two more promos were released, confirming Princess Mindy, Harold, Margaret, Zeus the Guitar Lord, Tattletale Strangler, Bubble Bass, Glow fish, Hoopla Fish, and Sheila will be making appearances.
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title cards]
‣ 'Er Indoors - Johnny Hawksworth [Patchy in his driveway]
‣ Flop and Go A - John Fox [JimBob dancing]
‣ Happy Sailor Jig - Nicolas Carr
- This episode is dedicated to the show's late creator, Stephen Hillenburg, as a thank you message for him appears at the end of the episode.
- This episode celebrates the 20th anniversary of SpongeBob SquarePants. It premiered on July 12, five days before the series' officially-recognized debut date of July 17, 1999 (when "Ripped Pants" and "Bubblestand" premiered). Nickelodeon counts July 17 as the series' premiere rather than May 1 (when the pilot episode was previewed). This episode also came out the day before Tom Kenny's birthday.
- Mrs. Puff and Gary the Snail are the only main characters whose voice actors do not play live-action versions of them on the Surface Land.
- Mary Jo Catlett, the voice of Mrs. Puff, recorded some behind-the-scenes work as herself (as seen on Vincent Waller's Twitter) but it was likely cut.
- This is both Princess Mindy and David Hasselhoff's first (and currently, only) appearance since The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- Vincent Waller has confirmed that Stephen Hillenburg was alive during the storyboard and writing phases of the episode. However, he did not contribute to the episode's boarding or script.
- This is the first episode of season 12 to premiere in Germany and Israel, despite "FarmerBob" being the first episode of the season.
- This is the first TV movie to premiere after Stephen Hillenburg's lifetime so far.
- This is the first TV movie to be produced in 1080p. The previous TV movie, "Truth or Square," was produced in 720p.
- This is Patchy's first appearance since the I ♥ SpongeBob week in 2018.
- This is the first time Rube's name is mentioned during an episode, while in the past episodes he appears in, his name is just listed in the end credits.
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob SquarePants' birthday is celebrated. The first was in "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler."
- It was also his birthday in "Waiting," but he missed that one.
- This is the third TV movie of the series. The first is "Atlantis SquarePantis" and the second is "Truth or Square."
- It is also the second episode that celebrates the series' anniversary, after "Truth or Square" was produced to celebrate the series' 10th anniversary in 2009.
- This is the second episode to count as two episodes (254 and 255). The first was "Truth or Square."
- This is the third episode in which the French Narrator is seen in person. The first was in "No Free Rides" and the second was in "Feral Friends."
- This is the Tattletale Strangler's fourth appearance. The first was in "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler," the second was in "Call the Cops," and the third was in "The Krusty Slammer."
- In some countries, this episode will be aired in two parts. There will be an alternate title card used in those countries.
- SpongeBob and Patrick can be heard saying bad word #11 from "Sailor Mouth." Though unlike that episode they do realize it, meaning this takes place after that.
- Squidward choking on something is a reference to "Naughty Nautical Neighbors."
- Live-action Patrick saying "not until four." is a reference to "I Had an Accident."
- A set of four Double Dare episodes premiered to celebrate the 20th anniversary.
- SpongeBob is seen with his alarm clock after a previous episode, "Broken Alarm," stated that there was no more of that model. However, it could have been fixed or they made more after all.
- This is the third episode to not have the opening credits take place underwater. The other three episodes to do this are SB-129 and Krusty Krab Training Video.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1088493681097596928
- ^ http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2019/01/nickelodeon-to-celebrate-spongebob.html
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1132304118196785153
- ^ https://twitter.com/SpongeBob/status/1109809661719560192
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1088220624806277120
- ^ a b Deadline Hollywood.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1088220624806277120
- ^ David Hasselhoff joins the SpongeBob SquarePants 20th anniversary special
- ^ https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/nickelodeon/281785/nickelodeon-spongebob-20th-comic-con
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmLHLTlrck
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ltUXPLwow
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkJz8Urjcw
|SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout (V • E)|
Characters and actors: JimBob • Patrick (live-action) • Mr. Manward • Mr. Slabs • Pearl Slabs • Mr. Charleston • Carol • Jack Griffo • Daniella Perkins • Kel Mitchell • Beanie McBean • Jace Norman • David Hasselhoff • Can • Gorilla Boss • Monkey Middle Managers • Gilbert Gottfried • Slappy • Patrick's lover fish • Dog walker • Rube • Pie dragon • JoJo Siwa • Michael Strahan
Objects: Slabby Patty