This article is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help this Wiki by making this article clean and tidy!
"SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from Season 12. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick tour the surface world, while the rest of Bikini Bottom prepares a surprise party for SpongeBob.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- JimBob (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Patrick (live-action) (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Mr. Manward (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Mr. Slabs (debut)
- Pearl Krabs
- Pearl Slabs (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Carol (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Mr. Charleston (debut)
- Karen Plankton
- Mrs. Puff
- Gary the Snail
- Bubble Bass
- Rube Goldfish
- Patchy the Pirate
- Potty the Parrot
- French Narrator
- David Hasselhoff
- Bikini Bottomites
- Mermaid Man (cameo as a toy)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo as a toy)
- Slappy (debut)
- PA System (debut)
- Perch Perkins
- Incidental 222
- Brown eel
- Big-Mac Lemont
- Frank the whale
- Unnamed sailor
- Harold SquarePants
- Margaret SquarePants
- Zeus the Guitar Lord
- Tattletale Strangler
- Princess Mindy
- Dr. Gill Gilliam
- TV shark
- Incidental 211
- Electric eel
- Grubby Grouper
- Flats the Flounder
- Larry the Lobster
- Bubble hippo
- Hat kid
- Monty P. Moneybags
- Hoopla fish
- Large muscular fish
- The Chief (pictured)
- Man Ray (cameo as a toy)
- Dirty Bubble (cameo as a toy)
- Beanie McBean (debut)
- Kel Mitchell (debut)
- Jack Griffo (debut)
- Daniella Perkins (debut)
- Ephraim Lopez (debut)
- Can (debut)
- Gorilla boss (debut)
- Monkey Middle managers (debut)
- JoJo Siwa (debut)
- Tiffany Haddish (debut)
- Sigourney Weaver (debut)
- Heidi Klum (debut)
- Kal Penn (debut)
- John Goodman (debut)
- Lana Condor (debut)
- RuPaul (debut)
- Jason Sudeikis (debut)
- Vernon Davis (debut)
- Rob Gronkowski (debut)
- Victoria Beckham (debut)
- Allan K. Washington, Danny Skinner, Ethan Slater, and Lilli Cooper (debut)
- Gilbert Gottfried (debut)
- Dog walker (debut)
- Pie dragon (debut)
- Patrick's lover fish (debut)
Act 1 (254)
In Encino, California, Patchy the Pirate is struggling to start his boat. He tells the audience that he has a present to deliver to SpongeBob on his birthday. Potty tells Patchy that the boat is out of gas, but is ignored. Potty triggers the boat's airbags, causing Patchy to be launched out of the car into his garage. He decides to walk instead and follows the direction of the wind with a sail on his hand.
Down in Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob is woken up by his alarm clock and sees Gary singing him a happy birthday. He opens Gary's present to see a jellyfish net made out of Gary's slime. SpongeBob loves it and plays with it, causing bits of snail slime to fly across the room, and some it even into Squidward's coffee next door. At Patrick's house, we see that Sandy, Bubble Bass, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, Mrs. Puff, Old Man Walker, and Patrick are planning a surprise party for SpongeBob. Sandy struggles to remind Patrick of his duty, though he continually forgets until he is alerted by a ring on his watch and finally remembers his role. Everyone is shocked at his sudden recollection, though Plankton remarks that idiots have their day.
Plankton hops into Patrick's pocket as he is about to pick up SpongeBob for the tour that is heading towards Surface Land. Plankton grabs the keys to SpongeBob's house. The crew then moves all of his stuff to Squidward's house. Sandy forces Squidward to help out with the decorations. He gladly agrees. Mr. Krabs then assigns Old Man Walker to be the lookout. Meanwhile, Rube is driving to the destination, and he gives SpongeBob a birthday hat, while also telling the tourists the rules.
It turns out that in order to get to Surface Land, they need to get a lift from the French Narrator, which instantly makes Patrick want to get to the nearest restroom. The submarine ends up tilting David Hasselhoff's boat over. Everyone on the tour bus says goodbye to the French Narrator as they get on the beach and see some local human activity.
Their first stop is the Beach Blanket Bean-Go. The host being Beanie McBean, Beanie asks contestants different questions and get covered in bean slime. Patrick watches them getting covered with bean slime and cannot resist; he drives the bus all the way up to the rostrum and says "Wrong answer!" Bean slime explodes and falls into the bus, where Patrick eats all of it, and also soaks up all the water in it.
Rube drives the bus, while he and the passengers are drying up, to a beach shower, and refills the bus with water. Immediately after, the bus gets approached by a dog, which Rube calls a pie dragon. As soon as it starts drinking its water, Rube drives the bus away. Meanwhile, back at SpongeBob's house, there are arguments about the theme by which it should be decorated, until Sandy tells each one of them to decorate a part of the house: Bubble Bass decorates it after a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy theme, Plankton after a torture theme, Sandy after a karate theme, Squidward after a painting theme where he puts his paintings in the display, Mrs. Puff after a driving theme, and Mr. Krabs opens a Krusty Krab section to sell Krabby Patties.
Rube is explaining guides the passengers through a forest, they stumble again upon the dog, which runs after the bus. SpongeBob realizes that Patrick, on the surface of the bus’ water, has caught with his mouth its frisbee and does not let it go. SpongeBob makes him do so, and the dog stops to catch the frisbee. The bus tour continues as Rube guides the tour passengers through the city.
Act 3 (255)
Back at SpongeBob's house, the party begins as the guests come over. Things do not turn out very well at the house, as some of them break things and impatiently eat the cakes served. Despite Sandy's attempts to calm the guests down, they wreak havoc and two walls of the living room fall apart.
The bus tour visits a lot of places, including a business center in which they watch a meeting partaken by business people wearing gorilla masks, and the Trusty Slab, a restaurant similar to the Krusty Krab as to the employees, the employer and some of its design.
In the Trusty Slab, people are seen doing activities similar to the way the show's main characters they are based on doing in the Krusty Krab: JimBob(Spongebob's real-life counterpart) cooks, Mr. Slabs(Mr. Krabs' real-life counterpart) supervises him, Mr. Manward(Squidward's real-life counterpart) works as the cashier and live-action Patrick orders a Krabby Patty called the Slabby Patty. But he is confused what Patty to choose. Mr. Slabs takes his money and orders the Triple Slabby Patty, but real-life Patrick doesn't want that. The passengers take a closer look at the kitchen, SpongeBob goes out of the bus and checks out his live-action counterpart's spatula. As the latter finishes making his Slabby Patty, he mistakes SpongeBob for cheese and puts him in there. Patrick also goes out of the bus to save SpongeBob, and while doing that, he also gets a patty from the Slabby Patty; the passengers start eating it. Carol(Sandy's real-life counterpart), the one ordering the Patty, notices that the patty is missing, which leads her to angrily leave the Trusty Slab when suddenly, Mr. Charleston(Plankton's real-life counterpart) breaks into the restaurant and threatens Mr. Slabs with his laser ray in order to get the secret formula. Carol kicks him with her karate glove in his chest and falls down. Mr. Slabs throws him in the trash outside the restaurant.
As Rube goes on with the tour, SpongeBob tells him to press the brake; he asks him about an aquarium shop next to the bus. As Rube tells him about the dangers of it, a female stranger mistakes the bus for an aquarium and puts it in the shop.
The bus passengers and Rube are unable to drive away, due to the bus being placed right between two aquariums. Rube and the passengers are then about to sing SpongeBob the Happy Birthday song, but Patrick, out of the bus, pushes it and it falls down before they even begin. As the bus leaves Surface Land along with fish from aquariums of the shop in it, SpongeBob says goodbye to it. Meanwhile, Patchy the Pirate, who is riding a bicycle, struggles to find a way to deliver his present to SpongeBob. He notices Bikini Atoll from his telescope while on the beach and uses the Can-o-Beans cannon to go there.
SpongeBob and Patrick return to Bikini Bottom. Rube and the others try to sing the birthday song for SpongeBob, but are prevented by Rube sending the bus off. SpongeBob and Patrick find Old Man Walker, who was the lookout for the party but unaware (SpongeBob) and too stupid (Patrick) to realize why he is there, so they send him off. SpongeBob then goes into his home, only to find the place wrecked and the guests sleeping but tell him a surprise. Seeing this, SpongeBob is overjoyed by this while Patrick finally remembers that he was in on making the surprise party for SpongeBob and meant to tell the latter, as he yells surprise and goes to sleep too while SpongeBob thanks them. Suddenly, a birthday present falls into Conch Street and SpongeBob opens it. It turns out the head of Patchy is inside it; he wishes SpongeBob a happy birthday and the latter thanks him with a hug. Patchy states he doesn't know what to do now. SpongeBob suggests that he sings the birthday song since he never got it during the day. Patchy agrees and he alongside SpongeBob's waking party guests sing his birthday song.
Various celebrities appear wishing SpongeBob a happy birthday while the song plays, with SpongeBob ending by wishing himself a happy birthday. Patrick then asks SpongeBob his age. As he is about to answer, it cuts to TV static, and SpongeBob plays his nose like a flute. It turns out that SpongeBob got the birthday party he deserved after all. The episode ends by showing a dedication card writing "Thank you, Steve Hillenburg."
- Rube and the passengers try to sing the Happy Birthday song to SpongeBob, but something gets in their way of doing so.
- While preparing SpongeBob's party, Sandy says a sentence featuring the word "surprise." The other party guests say "Surprise," followed by Sandy exclaiming "Not now!"
- When SpongeBob gets there, everyone says "Surprise," but they are tired of partying, so they want to sleep.
- Patrick forgetting to tell SpongeBob about the surprise party.
The episode was announced to be 44 minutes long. The first clip of the episode was shown during a commercial break of the 2019 Kids' Choice Awards on March 23, 2019. The following day, an extended version of the clip was released to the official Twitter account.
It features the voice cast of Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Clancy Brown, Doug Lawrence, Jill Talley, Carolyn Lawrence, Mary Jo Catlett, and Lori Alan. With the exception of Mrs. Puff and Gary, live-action versions of the animated characters were played by their voice actors in the Surface Land sequence.
Tom Kenny noted, "I don't want to live in a live-action world. I want to live in the cartoon world." In the episode, he had to perform in character on a Krusty Krab set along with the rest of the voice cast, who were also dressed as their respective characters.
On May 22, 2019, an article from Entertainment Weekly revealed images of the voice cast playing their human forms. Other images revealed that David Hasselhoff was going to be guest starring standing next to Patchy the Pirate.
On June 22, 2019, two more promos were released, confirming that Princess Mindy, Harold, Margaret, Zeus the Guitar Lord, Tattletale Strangler, Bubble Bass, glow fish, Hoopla fish, and Incidental 11 will be making appearances.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ 'Er Indoors - Johnny Hawksworth [Patchy trying to start his boat to deliver his present to SpongeBob]
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Patchy and Potty go to deliver the present to SpongeBob by walking]
• Solo Steel and Vibes - Nicolas Carr, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's alarm clock wakes him up]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 14B - Jeremy Wakefield ["Today?! My birthday?!"]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob opens Gary's present, which is a jellyfishing net made of his slime]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob dirties his bedroom with the net's slime]
• Stupid Plan - Steve Belfer [Sandy planning a surprise party for SpongeBob at Patrick's house]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer [Patrick can't remember what to say to SpongeBob]
‣ Five Dramatic Bridges B - Kurt Rehfeld [Patrick's eyes on fire]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 38 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I have an idea, pal. How'd you like to take a little sightseeing tour with me?"]
‣ Bridge 3 - Wilfred Burns [SpongeBob locks his house's door with keys, while Plankton takes them]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [Plankton notices a piece of candy on his butt]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton throws the piece of candy away]
• Heavenly Sanatized Choir - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, this is the key of the Krusty Krab!"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs takes the keys from Plankton and opens SpongeBob's door]
• Chiho O's Disco - Nicolas Carr [Squidward arrives at his home with headphones]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield ["What's SpongeBob's awful furniture doing in my house?"]
‣ Apples and Pears - Bruce Campbell [Sandy tells Squidward he's gonna be the interior decorator of SpongeBob's surprise party]
• Shotgun Wedding - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Shot of a cow bride]
‣ Happy Holiday - Anthony Spurgin [Rube explains the rules of the tour bus to the passengers]
‣ Leap for Joy - Cedric Palmer ["Not now, of course. Tour time is tight."]
‣ Starboard - Sam Spence [Tour bus liftoffs to the surface/Submarine boost the tour bus to the surface/French Narrator is driving the submarine]
‣ La Fleur A - Ralf Gscheidle ["You can say that again, birthday boy! Oui oui!"]
‣ Hope & Glory - Thomas Blug, Mark Scholz [David Hasselhoff kayaking on the sea]
‣ Hoist the Mainsail - Frank Sterling [Submarine rises from the water and the tour bus arrives at the surface]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 25B - Jeremy Wakefield ["Tartar sauce!"]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus driving around the beach]
‣ Party Freak B - Andrew Lee, Loopmasters, UtkuS [Tour bus arrives at a dance zone on the beach]
‣ Fox Swing Remix - Manuel Faivre, Miguel Saboga, Yvo Abadi [Beach Blanket Bean-Go show]
• Gametime - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You know the rules. First question: How many beans are in a 16-ounce can?"]
‣ Comikarama - Dennis Farnon [The first contestant sprayed with beans]
‣ Fox Swing Remix - Manuel Faivre, Miguel Saboga, Yvo Abadi ["And now it's time for our next contestant."]
• Gametime - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["What is your favorite kind of bean?"]
‣ Fox Swing Remix - Manuel Faivre, Miguel Saboga, Yvo Abadi [Second contestant sprayed with beans]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick hijacks the tour bus to get beans]
‣ Dramatic Episode 2 - Kurt Rehfeld [Tour bus has no water and the passengers start drying up]
‣ Bikini Dance - Lionel Wendling [Tour bus waiting in the line of the beach shower stand]
• A Pineapple Luau with Bongos - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus fills with water again]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor Narholz [Passengers are afraid of a dog who's around the tour bus]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 30 - Jeremy Wakefield [Old Man Walker sleeping outside SpongeBob's house]
• Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, Mrs. Puff, and Bubble Bass arguing over who should decorate SpongeBob's house for the surprise party]
• Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [Bubble Bass dressed as Mermaid Man]
• Cosmic Pied Piper - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["I'm obviously his idol! A theme based on me is the only..."]
• Light Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Sandy divides SpongeBob's house into sections for everyone to decorate]
• Chopped Suey Kung Fu - Nicolas Carr [Squidward painting pictures of himself in his section of SpongeBob's house]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward accidentally gets in between Bubble Bass' and Mrs. Puff's sections to decorate]
‣ ? [Plankton's section to decorate]
• Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton flies all across SpongeBob's living room]
‣ Buffoonery - Van Phillips [Tour bus driving through the park]
‣ Dramatic Episode 1 - Kurt Rehfeld [Dog approaches the tour bus]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 41B - Jeremy Wakefield ["Amazing!"]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Dog approaches again running to the tour bus to take his frisbee]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor Narholz [Tour bus escapes with Patrick holding the frisbee]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 13A - Jeremy Wakefield [" Aw, I wanted flying pie."]
‣ Even More Comical Cuts 1-5 - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob gives Patrick a whoopee cushion]
‣ Stupid Cupid - Ronald Hanmer ["Okay, we'll stay on the path where it's not so dangerous."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (C) - Ronald Hanmer [Patchy and Potty riding a tricycle in the middle of the road]
‣ 'Er Indoors - Johnny Hawksworth [Patchy and Potty continue riding the tricycle]
‣ Kitsch Twist - Desmond Champ, Harold Geller [Party guests at SpongeBob's house]
• Cheap and Frozen Jig 2 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krusty Krab section in SpongeBob's house]
‣ Jerkin' - Philippe Villar [Party guests eating the party food]
‣ Definitive Sixties - Georges Bodossian, Catherine Lambert [Party guests disturbing the surprise party]
‣ ? [Plankton torturing Scooter and Fred in his section of the house]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield ["My leg."]
‣ Groovy Baby - Desmond Champ, Harold Geller [Two walls of SpongeBob's house knocked down]
‣ Country Comedy Cowboy - Joey Stebanuk [Pond5] [Dance music at SpongeBob's house]
‣ Madly Gay - Cedric Palmer [Tour bus driving through the city]
• Squidward's Tiki Land - Aaron Springer, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus driving through an office building]
‣ Jungle Baby - Hans Ehrlinger [The manager and the employees of the office acting like gorillas]
‣ Here and There - Gary Hughes [Employees and the tour bus leave the office for lunch]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["The Trusty Slab? Sounds familiar."]
‣ Blues in a Hurry - Cecil Norman [Customers and the tour bus enter the Trusty Slab]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Live-action Patrick trying to order a Slabby Patty to Mr. Manward]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17B - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Slabs laughs]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 19 - Jeremy Wakefield ["JimBob!"]
‣ Flop and Go A - John Fox [JimBob dancing and singing in the Trusty Slab kitchen]
• Oh My Neptune! - Nicolas Carr ["Get those ship-shape burgers shipped out, or you'll be doing your soft shoe across the street at the Crumb Basket!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield [The Crumb Basket is shown]
• Short Military Bridge 1 - Nicolas Carr ["All right, troops, prepare to be deployed!"]
• 12th Street Rag with Bass - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [JimBob makes the Slabby Patties at high speed]
• Heavenly Sanatized Choir - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, I just got to get a closer look at that glorious spatula!"]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob jumps off the tour bus]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 25A - Jeremy Wakefield [JimBob takes the spatula and finishes making the Slabby Patties]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor Narholz [JimBob mistakes SpongeBob for a slice of cheese]
• Listen to the Mustard Flow - Kaz, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Passengers of the tour bus eat the giant patty]
• Ad Lib Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Manward delivers a Slabby Patty to live-action Sandy]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Mr. Charleston enters at the Trusty Slab and demands secret sauce recipe of the Slabby Patties]
• In a Karate Mood 2 - Nicolas Carr [Live-action Sandy knocks out Mr. Charleston]
• Impress Me - Nicolas Carr ["You're welcome!"]
• Another Krusty Krab Day 3 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Fear not, gentle customers. This is not a robber, this is my lame competition from across the street..."]
‣ Tales From The Swamp (C) - Ron Goodwin ["Charleston!"]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Slabs kicks Mr. Charleston into the trash]
• The Donut Dilema - Nicolas Carr [Patchy and Potty arrive at the Trusty Slab, while tour bus leaves the restaurant]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 30 - Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus drives past Mr. Charleston]
‣ Flying Saucer - Donald Thorne ["Oh, that was delicious. I love surface food."]
‣ Cool Reception - Jack Beaver [Live-action Pearl takes the tour bus into the fish store]
‣ ? [Party guests still dancing tired at SpongeBob's house]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [Live-action Pearl puts the tour bus into the fish store's shelf with the rest of fish tanks]
‣ Subversion - Ralph Dollimore [Rube tries to back up the tour bus from the shelf]
‣ Aquarium - Eric Gemsa, Bernard Rabaud [SpongeBob and Patrick staring into an aquarium full of fish]
‣ Theme for Two Lovers - Kenny Salmon [Patrick falls in love with a female fish from the aquarium]
‣ Locomotion - Clive Richardson [Rube trying to move the tour bus from the shelf]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick pushes the tour bus off the shelf]
• Seaweed 2 - Steve Belfer [Patrick jumps off from the shelf into the tour bus]
‣ Romantic Endeavour - Thomas Kraus ["Wait, Rube, we can't leave all these fish behind!"]
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus filled with other fish from the aquarium]
• Sponge Surf No Guit Me - Billy Lincoln, Michael Gurley [Tour bus returns to the beach to go back underwater]
‣ Hope & Glory - Thomas Blug, Mark Scholz [David Hasselhoff sees the submarine emerging from the sea]
• Sea Shanty in A Minor Key - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["You run over my foot!"]
‣ Our Way to Go - Gregor Narholz [Tour bus goes back underwater]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
• Happy Sailor Jig - Nicolas Carr [Patchy tries to figure out how to get to the Bikini Atoll island]
‣ Hoist the Mainsail - Frank Sterling [Cannon is shown]
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Potty fires Patchy from the cannon to the Bikini Atoll island]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [Tour bus drops SpongeBob and Patrick off at Bikini Bottom]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 36B - Jeremy Wakefield ["Nice try! Maybe next year!"]
• Uku Bye Layly - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, Jeremy Wakefield ["He's here! SpongeBob is here!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2D - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob notices he has no keys to open his house's door]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [SpongeBob discovers his house destroyed and the party guests sleeping]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Surprise..."]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["A surprise party?! For me?!"]
• Aloha Lui Lui - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["My spongy heart is bursting with joy, cause I know I have the love of my pet Gary, and my family, and I have the love of my friends."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (D) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob screams]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 38 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob receives a giant present]
‣ Dolphin Dance - [West One Music] William Bell [Patchy's head inside SpongeBob's present, who finally meets SpongeBob]
◦ Birthday Song - Eban Schletter [Patchy and SpongeBob's friends sing this]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["How old are you?"]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20, SpongeBob SquarePants Triple Pack, Bikini Bottom Bash, and The Complete Twelfth Season DVDs.
- This episode was originally going to be included as a bonus episode on The Complete Tenth Season DVD, but was removed for unknown reasons.
- This episode is dedicated to the series creator Stephen Hillenburg, as a "thank you" message for him appears at the end of the episode.
- This is the first season 12 episode released on DVD.
- This marks the first time Patchy meets SpongeBob.
- Mrs. Puff is the only main character whose voice actor does not appear in live-action. Jill Talley and Tom Kenny do appear in live-action, but not as versions of Karen or Gary respectively.
- This episode was made to celebrate the 20th anniversary of SpongeBob SquarePants. It premiered on July 12, five days before the series' officially recognized debut date of July 17, 1999, when "Bubblestand" and "Ripped Pants" premiered. Nickelodeon counts July 17 as the series' premiere rather than May 1, when the pilot-trio "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" was previewed. July 12 is also two days before SpongeBob's recognized birthday.
- This episode also came out the day after Tom Kenny's 57th birthday. However, in Canada, this episode aired on Tom Kenny's 57th birthday.
- This is the first episode in season 12 to be written by more than one person.
- This is also the first episode to be written by more than one person since "Squirrel Jelly."
- Vincent Waller has confirmed on Twitter that Stephen Hillenburg was alive during the storyboard and writing phases of the episode. However, he did not contribute to the episode's boarding or script.
- So far, this is the highest viewed episode of season 12 at 1.83 million US viewers, surpassing "FarmerBob" at 1.40 million US viewers.
- In some international versions of the episode, Lana Condor is replaced by John Goodman.
- The July 4, 2020 airing of this episode has many things:
- On the bottom right, the Bikini Bottom Block Party screenbug is above the Nick screen bug.
- The bottom left of the screen reads "New Series: Nickelodeon's Unfiltered: Next Saturday at 8p."
- The May 22, 2020 airing of this episode has many things:
- The bottom left of the screen reads "Laugh the Day Away with Nick" that has the "Nick" word in orange.
- On the bottom right, the Nick screen bug is the "Nick" logo.
- The April 6, 2020 airing of this episode has many things:
- Above the "Nick" logo, the countdown screenbug reads "New Episode: Ollie's Pack."
- On the bottom left reads "New Episode: Ollie's Pack: Today at 4p."
- The March 15, 2020 airing of this episode contained many unusual advertisements for the Henry Danger series finale:
- On the Nick screen-bug, the I is replaced by a container of gumballs.
- The bottom left of the screen reads, "Henry Danger: The Epic Conclusion: Saturday at 8."
- The scenes of Plankton forcing Fred to say "My Leg!" and SpongeBob returning to Bikini Bottom are aired in a special border.
- SpongeBob mentions that the French Narrator is Sandy's friend, referencing "Feral Friends."
- This marks the first appearance of Princess Mindy in an episode.
- This is Patchy's first appearance since the "I ♥ SpongeBob week" in 2018, and his and Potty's first episode appearance since "Feral Friends."
- In the commercials clips from "Gary's Got Legs," "Squid's on a Bus," and "Mind the Gap" were used for this episode.
- The cake in the main title card has the colors teal, yellow and pink. These are meant to refer to Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick respectively.
- Patchy finally meets SpongeBob and his friends in this episode.
- This is the first time Rube's name is mentioned during an episode, while in the past episodes he appears in, his name is just listed in the end credits.
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob's birthday is celebrated. The first was in "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler."
- This is the third TV movie of the series. The first is "Atlantis SquarePantis" and the second is "Truth or Square." This is also the only TV movie in the 2010s decade.
- It is also the second TV movie that celebrates the series' anniversary, after "Truth or Square" was produced to celebrate the series' 10th anniversary in 2009.
- This is the second TV movie to count as two episodes. The first was "Truth or Square," which is also an anniversary special.
- This is the third episode in which the French Narrator is seen in person. The first was "No Free Rides" and the second was "Feral Friends."
- "My leg!:" Plankton ties Fred's leg up and forces him to say it.
- This is the Tattletale Strangler's fourth appearance. The first was in "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler," the second was in "Call the Cops" on a poster, and the third was in "The Krusty Slammer."
- As of this episode, he seems to have reconciled with SpongeBob and has been released from jail.
- Ironically, the Tattletale Strangler's voice actor, Thomas F. Wilson, appeared in-person during the live-action scenes but the Strangler himself did not speak at all.
- SpongeBob's parents make their first appearance since "A SquarePants Family Vacation."
- In some countries, this episode airs in two parts. There is an alternate title card used in those countries. It features the Nicolas Carr/Sage Guyton/Jeremy Wakefield track from the title card of the "Clam Up!" short.
- This also happens to "Atlantis SquarePantis."
- The two-part version also has noticeable differences when heard in English. In all of the live-action scenes, people's actual speech from the shooting is heard (mostly seen in the Trusty Slab scene), while in the 44-minute version, the lines sound cleaner and without the echo, meaning there was an ADR process after shooting.
- SpongeBob and Patrick can be heard saying bad word #11 from "Sailor Mouth."
- Squidward choking on the cake is a reference to "Naughty Nautical Neighbors."
- Live-action Patrick saying "not until four" is a reference to "I Had an Accident."
- Tom is seen holding a drink with two ice cubes in it, which is a reference to "Fools in April."
- When Mr. Slabs throws Mr. Charleston into a pile of trash, the pizza box from the episode "Pizza Delivery" is seen.
- A set of four Double Dare episodes premiered to celebrate the 20th anniversary.
- This is the third episode to not have the opening credits take place underwater. The other two episodes to do this are "SB-129" and "Krusty Krab Training Video."
- SpongeBob's sentence being cut off by the end of the episode is similar to the reveal of the Krabby Patty secret formula being cut off by the end of "Krusty Krab Training Video."
- The fourth wall is broken twice in this episode.
- The French narrator is seen holding the "One little boost to the surface later..." time card and everyone in the tour bus says bye to him.
- At the end of the episode when SpongeBob is telling his age to Patrick, static abruptly interrupts him and he plays his nose like a flute and the T.V. screen shuts off.
- This is the first time the elderly fish formerly known as Old Man Jenkins, now known as Old Man Walker, is referred to by his new name in an episode.
- However, the first time the name was used at all was in the credits of "Plankton Paranoia."
- This marks the second time that Patchy and Potty go to a live-action restaurant. The first time was when Patchy and Potty went to The Poop Deck in "Friend or Foe."
- The cast of The SpongeBob SquarePants Musical appears at the end of the episode, wishing SpongeBob a happy birthday.
- Mrs. Puff asks Squidward if he has ever taught SpongeBob how to drive before, which he has to an extent in "Pizza Delivery," although Mrs. Puff was not around to see that.
- Live-action Patrick struggling to order something is a reference to "Krusty Krab Training Video."
- At the end of the birthday theme, where everybody cheers, Squidward can be heard saying "I still don't like you!"
- When comparing the Trusty Slab scene in its clip uploaded by the official SpongeBob SquarePants YouTube channel, versus the same scene in the actual episode, the dialogue, while the same lines, is delivered differently.
- This is the sixth time the show's theme song is sung within an episode. The first was "Truth or Square," the second was "Unreal Estate," the third was "Sanitation Insanity," the fourth was "Old Man Patrick," and the fifth was "Karen's Virus."
- In this episode's version, SpongeBob responds at the beginning of his birthday song "Me! Me! Me! Me!" in place of the show's theme song choir saying his name.
- He also sings the last "SpongeBob SquarePants!" line himself instead of the choir, but his pants never fall off during this part like they do in the regular theme song.
- In this episode's version, SpongeBob responds at the beginning of his birthday song "Me! Me! Me! Me!" in place of the show's theme song choir saying his name.
- There are a lot of shots on the surface where the passengers in the tour bus are not animated, but instead as shown as figurines. According to live-action director Jonas Morganstein, this was a stylistic choice to keep the DIY-style aspect of the series.
- This is the third episode where SpongeBob's alarm clock appears sentient. The first was "Truth or Square" and the second was "Gary's New Toy."
- There is a 22-minute version of the episode, which aired on October 5, 2019. It includes some differences:
- All of the partying/planning scenes are cut.
- SpongeBob's house is also not destroyed, and Old Man Walker is not present.
- Patrick starts dancing to the Birthday Song before the group joins in, and he is in a different position throughout the song as well.
- The celebrities wishing SpongeBob a happy birthday were cut.
- Some dialogue was changed.
- The pie dragon chase and paperclip jungle scenes are cut.
- Nickelodeon's on-screen credits start on the bottom left of the screen when Patrick saves everyone from the aquarium. Normally, the credits start on the bottom left of the screen during the celebrity scene.
- When JimBob was doing his slabby patty song "Flop and Go A" plays when he starts dancing.
- On November 5, 2019, Nickelodeon re-aired the 44-minute version.
- All of the partying/planning scenes are cut.
- When Sandy karate chops the table and punches Slappy in the face, she is wearing red karate gloves, which are supposed to be SpongeBob's, instead of her usual green or pink karate gloves.
- The ending where SpongeBob plays his nose, he looks a lot like in Season 1. This is probably a reference to when the show was cel-animated.
- The ape masks in the meeting scene are a reference to "I Had An Accident."
- When Larry is approaching SpongeBob's pineapple, someone says, "partying 20 years!"
- Zeus the Guitar Lord appears at the Krusty Krab booth.
- After meeting Patchy, SpongeBob's eyes turn into one big eye, which he also did in the Season 10 episode "Lost and Found."
- Since SpongeBob was born in 1986, if the episode is set in 2019 it would make him 33 years old.
- When the episode premiered in Indonesian version, the episode plays completely along with the birthday song and wishes ending. But afterwards, the song was cut like any other episodes with original songs in it to save more time for other episodes to play immediately thereafter.
- At the ending, a clam can be seen singing the birthday theme song for SpongeBob. It could possibly be Shelley.
- If this indeed is Shelley, this could be her largest to-date role in the series.
- Bubble Bass' Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy-themed party contains multiple references to previous Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episodes.
- The duo is seen posing atop the cake, possibly referencing their debut episode.
- The Dirty Bubble and Man Ray as action figures are seen on the table, referencing the second and third Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episodes, respectively.
- Mermaid Man's belt is strapped around the cake's bottom layer, referencing the fourth Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode.
- Irony: In the scene where SpongeBob and the fish use the shower at Surface Land, they could have simply got in the ocean instead.
- Slappy is a caricature of the actor Peter Lorre.
- Beach Blanket Bean-Go references the 1965 film Beach Blanket Bingo.
- Patrick reacting to his live-action counterpart saying "That guy's so dumb!," and SpongeBob reacting to his saying "I love this guy!, are both similar to the gag heard at the very ending of the first Cars movie when Mack reacted to the same actor heard in three movies at the drive-in.
- When SpongeBob says "Never get out of the bus, Patrick. Never get out of the bus!," this is a likely reference to Martin Sheen's line, "Never get out of the boat!" in the 1979 film Apocalypse Now.
- After the opening credits, the bubble transition appears although the episode starts on land in Encino.
- ^ http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/spongebob-squarepants/listings/
- ^ https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/760903689778102293/781646195356598322/Screenshot_20201126_142234.png
- ^ https://www.nickandmore.com/episode-lists/spongebob-squarepants/
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1088493681097596928
- ^ http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2019/01/nickelodeon-to-celebrate-spongebob.html
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1132304118196785153
- ^ https://twitter.com/SpongeBob/status/1109809661719560192
- ^ a b https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1088220624806277120
- ^ a b Lisa de Moraes (2019-02-11). Making ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ Doppelganger Birthday Special "Like Having Sex With Lights On" – TCA. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved on 2019-07-17.
- ^ Jones, Marcus (2019-05-22). David Hasselhoff joins the SpongeBob SquarePants 20th anniversary special. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 2019-07-17.
- ^ Baxter, Joseph (2019-06-18). Nickelodeon to Hold SpongeBob 20th Birthday Blowout at Comic-Con. Den of Geek. Retrieved on 2019-07-17.
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmLHLTlrck
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ltUXPLwow
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkJz8Urjcw
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/photos/a.10151614436896063/10157194026016063/?type=3&theater
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1096564449446510592
- ^ https://twitter.com/nickandmore/status/1212186059267870720
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27f71GeZ8sg
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNe4Sg_3EUI
- ^ https://nickstory.fandom.com/wiki/April_6,_2020
- ^ https://www.cartoonbrew.com/interviews/how-cartoons-met-their-own-voice-actors-in-spongebobs-big-birthday-blowout-184034.html
- ^ https://www.nickandmore.com/episode-lists/spongebob-squarepants/
|SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout (V • E)|
|Characters and actors:||JimBob • Patrick (live-action) • Mr. Manward • Mr. Slabs • Pearl Slabs • Mr. Charleston • Carol • Jack Griffo • Daniella Perkins • Kel Mitchell • Beanie McBean • Jace Norman • David Hasselhoff • Can • Gorilla Boss • Monkey Middle Managers • Gilbert Gottfried • Slappy • Patrick's lover fish • Dog walker • Rube • Pie dragon • JoJo Siwa • Michael Strahan|
|Locations:||Trusty Slab • Crumb Basket • Beach Blanket Bean-Go • Land Aquarium • Surface Land|
|Songs:||Slabby Patty Song • SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song|
|Shorts:||1 Second From Every SpongeBob Episode!|
|Miscellaneous:||Double Dare SpongeBob Week • Best Yellow Summer Ever marathons • Bikini Bottom Bash DVD|