"SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season twelve. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick tour the surface world, while the rest of Bikini Bottom prepares a surprise party for SpongeBob.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Mrs. Puff
- Gary the Snail
- Bubble Bass
- Patchy the Pirate
- Potty the Parrot
- French Narrator
- David Hasselhoff
- Bikini Bottomites
- Mermaid Man (cameo as a toy)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo as a toy)
- Slappy (debut)
- PA System (debut)
- Office Middle Management (debut)
- Carol (debut)
- Perch Perkins
- Rock Bottom Bus Station manager
- Brown eel
- Tough guy
- Frank (whale)
- Unnamed sailor
- Harold SquarePants
- Margaret SquarePants
- Zeus the Guitar Lord
- Tattletale Strangler
- Princess Mindy
- Dr. Gill Gilliam
- TV shark
- Football player
- Glow fish
- Electric eel
- Grubby Grouper
- Flats the Flounder
- Larry the Lobster
- Bubble hippo
- Hat kid
- Monty P. Moneybags
- Hoopla Fish
- Large muscular fish
- The Chief (pictured)
- Man Ray (cameo as a toy)
- Dirty Bubble (cameo as a toy)
- Beanie McBean (debut)
- Jack Griffo (debut)
- Daniella Perkins (debut)
- Kel Mitchell (debut)
- Jace Norman (debut)
- Ephraim Lopez (debut)
- Cory Demeyers (debut)
- Lana McKissack (debut)
- Sydney Olson (debut)
- Can (debut)
- Gorilla Boss (debut)
- Monkey Middle Managers (debut)
- Michael Strahan (debut)
- JoJo Siwa (debut)
- Tiffany Haddish (debut)
- Sigourney Weaver (debut)
- Heidi Klum (debut)
- Kal Penn (debut)
- Lana Condor (debut)
- John Goodman (debut)
- Jason Sudeikis (debut)
- RuPaul (debut)
- Vernon Davis (debut)
- Rob Gronkowski (debut)
- Victoria Beckham (debut)
- Allan K. Washington, Danny Skinner, Ethan Slater, and Lilli Cooper (debut)
- Gilbert Gottfried (debut)
- Dog walker (debut)
- Pie dragon (debut)
- Patrick's lover fish (debut)
The episode begins in Encino, California, where we see Patchy the Pirate struggling to start his boat. He tells the audience that he has a present to deliver to SpongeBob on his birthday. Potty tells Patchy that the boat is out of gas, but he ignores him. Potty triggers the boat's airbags, causing Patchy to be launched out of the car into his garage. He decides to walk instead, and follows the direction of the wind with a sail on his hand.
Down in Bikini Bottom, we see SpongeBob be woken up by his alarm clock to see Gary sing him a happy birthday. He opens Gary's present to see a jellyfish net made out of Gary's slime, SpongeBob loves it and plays with it causing bits of snail slime to fly across the room (including into Squidward's coffee). At Patrick's house, we see that Sandy, Bubble Bass, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, Mrs. Puff, and Patrick Star are planning a surprise party for SpongeBob. Sandy struggles to remind Patrick of his role, though the idiotic Sea Star continually forgets until he is alerted by a ring on his watch and finally remembers his role.
Plankton hops into Patrick's pocket as he is about to pick up SpongeBob for the tour that's heading towards Surface Land. Plankton grabs SpongeBob's keys to his house. The crew then moves all of his stuff to Squidward's House. Sandy then forces Squidward to help out with the decoration. He gladly agrees. Mr. Krabs then has Old Man Walker to be the lookout. Meanwhile, Rube is driving to the destination and giving SpongeBob a birthday hat while also telling the tourists the rules.
It turns out that in order to get to surface land, they need to get a lift from the French Narrator. Which instantly makes Patrick want to got to the nearest restroom. The submarine causes to tilt David Hasselhoff's boat over. Everyone on the tour bus says good bye to the French Narrator as they get on the beach and see some local human activity.
Their first stop is the Beach Blanket Bean-Go. The host being Beanie McBean (played by Kel Mitchell), Beanie asks contestants (played by Jack Griffo and Daniella Perkins) different questions and get covered in bean slime. Patrick watches them getting covered with bean slime and can't resist; he drives the bus all the way up to the rostrum and says "Wrong answer!". Bean slime explodes and falls into the bus, where Patrick eats all of it, and also soaks up all the water in it.
Rube drives the bus, while him and the passengers are drying, to a beach shower, and refill the bus with water. Immediately after, the bus gets approached by a dog. As soon as it starts drinking its water, Rube drives the bus away. Meanwhile, back at SpongeBob's House, there are arguments about the theme by which it should be decorated, until Sandy tells each one of them to decorate a part of the house: Bubble Bass decorates it after a Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy theme, Plankton after a torture theme, Sandy after a karate theme, Squidward after a painting theme where he puts his paintings in display, Mrs. Puff after a driving theme, and Mr. Krabs opens a Krusty Krab section to sell Krabby Patties.
Rube is explaining guides the passengers through a forest, they stumble again upon the dog, which runs after it. SpongeBob realizes that Patrick, on the surface of the bus' water, has caught with his mouth its frisbee and does not let it go. SpongeBob helps him do so, and the dog stops to catch the frisbee. The bus tour continues as Rube guides the tour passengers through the city.
Act 3 (Start of part 2)
Back at SpongeBob's House, the party begins as the guests come over. Things don't turn out very well at the house, as some of them break things and impatiently eat the cakes served. Despite Sandy's attempts to calm the guests down, they wreak havoc and two walls of the living room fall apart.
The bus tour visits a lot of places, including a business center in which they watch a meeting partaken by business people wearing gorilla masks, and the Trusty Slab, a restaurant similar to the Krusty Krab as to the employees, the employer and some of its design.
In the Trusty Slab, people are seen doing activities similar to the way the show's main characters they are based on do in the Krusty Krab: JimBob cooks, Mr. Slabs supervises him, Mr. Manward works as the cashier and Patrick orders a Krabby Patty. (now called the Slabby Patty) The passengers take a closer look at the kitchen, SpongeBob goes out of the bus and checks out his live-action counterpart's spatula. As the latter finishes making his Slabby Patty, he mistakes SpongeBob for cheese and puts him in there. Patrick also goes out of the bus to save SpongeBob, and while doing that, he also gets a patty from the Slabby Patty; the passengers start eating it. Carol, the one ordering the Patty, notices that the patty is missing, which leads her to angrily leave the Trusty Slab, when suddenly, Mr. Charleston breaks into the restaurant, and threatens Mr. Slabs with his laser ray in order to get the secret formula. Carol kicks him with her karate glove in his chest, and falls down. Mr. Slabs throws him at the trash outside the restaurant.
As Rube goes on with the tour, SpongeBob tells him to press the brake; he asks him about an aquarium shop next to the bus. As Rube tells him about the dangers of it, a female stranger mistakes the bus for an aquarium and puts it in the shop.
The bus passengers and Rube are unable to drive away, due to the bus being placed right between two aquariums. Rube and the passengers are then about to sing SpongeBob the Happy Birthday song, but Patrick, out of the bus, pushes it and it falls down before they even begin. As the bus leaves Surface Land along with fish from aquariums of the shop in it, SpongeBob says goodbye to it. Meanwhile, Patchy the Pirate, who is riding a bicycle, struggles to find a way to deliver his present to SpongeBob. He notices Bikini Atoll from his telescope while on the beach, and uses the Can-o-Beans cannon to go there.
SpongeBob and Patrick returned to Bikini Bottom, as Rube and the others try to sing the birthday song but are prevented by Rube sending the bus off. SpongeBob and Patrick find Old Man Walker, who was the lookout for the party but unaware and too stupid to realize why he's there they send him off. SpongeBob then goes in his home, only to find the place wrecked, while the guests are sleeping. Seeing this, Patrick finally remembers that he was in on making a surprise party for SpongeBob, as he yells surprise and goes to sleep too while SpongeBob thanks them. Suddenly, a birthday present falls into Conch Street and SpongeBob opens it. It turns out the head of Patchy is inside it; he wishes SpongeBob a happy birthday and the latter thanks him with a hug. Patchy states he doesn't know what to do now. SpongeBob suggests that he sings the birthday song, since he never got it on the day. Patchy agrees and he alongside SpongeBob's waking party guests sing his birthday song.
Various celebrities appear wishing SpongeBob congrats on birthday while the song plays, with SpongeBob ending by wishing himself a happy birthday. Patrick then asks SpongeBob his age. As he's about to answer, it cuts to TV static, and SpongeBob plays his nose like a flute. It turns out that SpongeBob got the birthday party he deserved after all. The episode ends with a dedication card writing "Thank you Steve Hillenburg."
The episode was announced to be 44 minutes long. The first clip of the episode was shown during a commercial break of the 2019 Kids' Choice Awards on March 23, 2019. The following day, an extended version of the clip was released to the official Twitter account.
It features the voice cast of Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Clancy Brown, Doug Lawrence, Jill Talley, Carolyn Lawrence, Mary Jo Catlett, and Lori Alan. With the exception of Mrs. Puff and Gary, live-action versions of the animated characters were played by their voice actors in the Surface Land sequence.
Tom Kenny noted, "I don't want to live in a live action world. I want to live in the cartoon world." In the episode, he had to perform in character on a Krusty Krab set along with the rest of the voice cast, who were also dressed as their respective characters.
On May 22, 2019, an article from Entertainment Weekly revealed images of the voice cast playing their human forms. Other images revealed that David Hasselhoff was going to be guest starring standing next to Patchy the Pirate.
On June 22, 2019, two more promos were released, confirming that Princess Mindy, Harold, Margaret, Zeus the Guitar Lord, Tattletale Strangler, Bubble Bass, Glow fish, Hoopla Fish, and Sheila will be making appearances.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ 'Er Indoors - Johnny Hawksworth [Patchy trying to start his boat to deliver his present to SpongeBob]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Patchy and Potty go to deliver the present to SpongeBob by walking]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's alarm clock wakes him up]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Today?! My birthday?!"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob opens Gary's present, which is a jellyfishing net made of his slime]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob dirties his bedroom with the net's slime]
‣ Stupid Plan - Steve Belfer [Sandy planning a surprise party for SpongeBob at Patrick's house]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick can't remember what to say to SpongeBob]
‣ Five Dramatic Bridges B - Kurt Rehfeld [Patrick's eyes on fire]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (X) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I have an idea, pal. How'd you like to take a little sightseeing tour with me?"]
‣ Bridge 3 - Wilfred Burns [SpongeBob locks his house's door with keys, while Plankton takes them]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [ Plankton notices a piece of candy on his butt]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton throws the piece of candy away]
‣ Unknown Track 100 - "Hey, this is the key of the Krusty Krab!"
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs takes the keys from Plankton and opens SpongeBob's door]
‣ Unknown Track 103 - Squidward arrives at his home with headphones
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["What's SpongeBob's awful furniture doing in my house?"]
‣ Apples and Pears - Bruce Campbell [Sandy tells Squidward he's gonna be the interior decorator of SpongeBob's surprise party]
‣ Unknown Track 80 - Show of a cow bride
‣ Happy Holiday - Anthony Spurgin [Rube explains the rules of the bus]
‣ Leap for Joy - Cedric Palmer ["Not now, of course. Tour time is tight."]
‣ Starboard - Sam Spence [Tour bus liftoffs to the surface/Submarine boost the tour bus to the surface/French Narrator is driving the submarine]
‣ La Fleur A - Ralf Gscheidle ["You can say that again, birthday boy! Wee wee!"]
‣ Hope & Glory - Thomas Blug, Mark Scholz [David Hasselhoff kayaking on the sea]
‣ Hoist the Mainsail - Frank Sterling [Submarine rises from the water and the tour bus arrives at the surface]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Tartar sauce!"]
‣ Unknown Track 5 - Tour bus driving around the beach
‣ Party Freak B - Andrew Lee, Loopmasters, UtkuS [Tour bus arrives to a dance zone on the beach]
‣ ? [Beach Blanket Bean-Go show on the beach]
‣ Unknown Track 18 - "You know the rules. First question: How many beans are in a 16-ounce can?"
‣ Comikarama - Dennis Farnon [First contestant sprayed with beans]
‣ ? ["And now it's time for our next contestant."]
‣ Unknown Track 18 - "What is your favorite kind of bean?"
‣ ? [Second contestant sprayed with beans]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick hijacks the tour bus to get beans]
‣ Dramatic Episode 2 - Kurt Rehfeld [Tour bus has no water and passengers are drying up]
‣ Bikini Dance - Lionel Wendling [Tour bus waiting in the line of the beach shower stand]
‣ Unknown Track 1 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus fills with water again]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor Narholz [Passengers get afraid of a dog who's around the tour bus]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [Old Man Walker sleeping outside SpongeBob's house]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - Squidward, Krabs, Plankton, Mrs. Puff and Bubble Bass arguing over who should decorate SpongeBob's house for the surprise party
‣ Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [Bubble Bass dressed as Mermaid Man]
‣ Unknown Track 101 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["I'm obviously his idol!"]
‣ Lite Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Sandy divides SpongeBob's house into sections for everyone to decorate]
‣ Unknown Track 102 - Squidward painting pictures of himself in his section of SpongeBob's house
‣ Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward gets accidentally in Bubble Bass's and Mrs. Puff's sections to decorate]
‣ ? [Plankton's section to decorate]
‣ Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton flies all across SpongeBob's living room]
‣ Buffoonery - Van Phillips [Tour bus driving through the park]
‣ Dramatic Episode 1 - Kurt Rehfeld [Dog approaches running to the tour bus to take his frisbee]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (XII) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Amazing!"]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Dog approaches again running to the tour bus to take his frisbee]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor Narholz [Tour bus escapes with Patrick holding the frisbee while the dog chases him.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Aw, I wanted flying pie."]
‣ Even More Comical Cuts 1-5 - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob gives Patrick a whoopie cushion]
‣ Stupid Cupid - Ronald Hanmer ["Okay, we'll stay on the path where it's not so dangerous."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer [Patchy and Potty riding a tricycle in the middle of the tour bus' road]
‣ 'Er Indoors - Johnny Hawksworth [Patchy and Potty continue riding the tricycle]
‣ Kitsch Twist - Desmond Champ, Harold Geller [Party guests at SpongeBob's house]
‣ Sailor's Sting 28 - Krusty Krab section in SpongeBob's house
‣ Jerkin' - Philippe Villar [Party guests eating the party food]
‣ Definitive Sixties - Georges Bodossian, Catherine Lambert [Party guests disturbing at the surprise party]
‣ ? [Plankton torturing Scooter and Fred in his section of SpongeBob's house]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["My leg."]
‣ Groovy Baby - Harold Geller, Desmond Champ [Two walls of SpongeBob's house knocked down]
‣ Country Comedy Cowboy - Joey Micheal Stebanuk [Dance music at SpongeBob's house]
‣ Madly Gay - Cedric Palmer [Tour bus driving through the city]
‣ Squidward's Tiki Land - Aaron Springer, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus driving through an office building]
‣ Jungle Baby - Hans Ehrlinger [The manager and the employees of the office acting like gorillas]
‣ Here and There - Gary Hughes [Employees and the tour bus leave the office for lunch]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["The Trusty Slab? Sounds familiar."]
‣ Blues in a Hurry - Cecil Norman [Employees and the tour bus enter at the Trusty Slab]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Live-action Patrick trying to order a Slabby Patty to Mr. Manward]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Slabs laughs]
‣ Flop and Go A - John Fox [JimBob dancing and singing in the Trusty Slab kitchen]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis ["Get those ship-shape burgers shipped out, or you'll be doing your soft shoe across the street at the Crumb Basket!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [The Crum Basket is shown]
‣ Short Military Bridge - Nicolas Carr ["All right, troops, prepare to be deployed!"]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [JimBob making fastly the Slabby Patties]
‣ ? ["Uh, I just got to get a closer look at that glorious spatula!"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob jumps off the tour bus]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield [JimBob takes the spatula and finishes making the Slabby Patties]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor Narholz [JimBob mistakes SpongeBob for a slice of cheese]
‣ ? [Passengers of the tour bus eat the giant patty]
‣ Sailor's Sting 1 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Manward delivers a Slabby Patty to live-action Sandy]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Mr. Charleston enters at the Trusty Slab and demands secret sauce recipe of the Slabby Patties]
‣ Retro Cool 03 095 D - Steve Sechi/Big Fish Audio [Live-action Sandy knocks out Mr. Charleston]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr ["You're welcome!"]
‣ Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Fear not, gentle customers. This is not a robber, this is my lame competition from across the street..."]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["Charleston!"]
‣ Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Slabs kicks Mr. Charleston into the trash]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [Patchy and Potty arrive at the Trusty Slab, while tour bus leaves the restaurant]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus drives past Mr. Charleston]
‣ Flying Saucer - Donald Thorne ["Oh, that was delicious, I love surface food."]
‣ Cool Reception - Jack Beaver [Live-action Pearl takes the tour bus into the fish store]
‣ ? [Party guests still dancing tired at SpongeBob's house]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Live-action Pearl puts the tour bus into the fish store's shelf with the rest of fish tanks]
‣ Subversion - Ralph Dollimore [Rube tries to back up the tour bus from the shelf]
‣ Aquarium - Eric Gemsa, Bernard Rabaud [SpongeBob and Patrick staring into an aquarium full of fish]
‣ Theme for Two Lovers - Kenny Salmon [Patrick falls in love with a female fish from the aquarium]
‣ Locomotion - Clive Richardson [Rube trying to move the tour bus from the shelf]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick pushes the tour bus off the shelf]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick jumps off from the shelf into the tour bus]
‣ Romantic Endeavour - Thomas Kraus ["Wait, Rube, we can't leave all these fish behind!"]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Tour bus filled with other fish from the aquarium]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [Tour bus returns to the beach to go back underwater]
‣ Hope & Glory - Thomas Blug, Mark Scholz [David Hasselhoff sees the submarine emerging from the sea]
‣ Sea Shanty in Minor Key - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["You run over my foot!"]
‣ Our Way to Go - Gregor Narholz [Tour bus goes back underwater]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ Happy Sailor Jig - Nicolas Carr [Patchy tries to figure out how to get to the Bikini Atoll island]
‣ Hoist the Mainsail - Frank Sterling [Cannon is shown]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Potty fires Patchy from the cannon to the Bikini Atoll island]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [Tour bus drops SpongeBob and Patrick off at Bikini Bottom]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Nice try! Maybe next year!"]
‣ Uku Bye Layly - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, Jeremy Wakefield ["He's here! SpongeBob is here!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob notices he has no keys to open his house's door]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [SpongeBob discovers his house destroyed and the party guests sleeping]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Surprise..."]
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["A surprise party?! For me?!"]
‣ Aloha Lui Lui - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["My spongy heart is bursting with joy, cause I know I have the love of my pet Gary, and my family, and I have the love of my friends."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (X) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob receives a giant present]
‣ Dolphin Dance - William Bell [Patchy's head inside SpongeBob's present, who finally meets SpongeBob]
• Birthday Song - Eban Schletter [Patchy and SpongeBob's friends sing this]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["How old are you?"]
- As of July 28, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.2/10 based on 127 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 0.0/10 based on 0 votes.
- The episode will be available as a bonus on the upcoming The Complete Tenth Season DVD.
- This episode is dedicated to Stephen Hillenburg, as a "thank you" message for him appears at the end of the episode. Some sources also claim this special is a tribute to him.
- This episode was made to celebrate the 20th anniversary of SpongeBob SquarePants. It premiered on July 12, five days before the series' officially-recognized debut date of July 17, 1999 (when "Ripped Pants" and "Bubblestand" premiered). Nickelodeon counts July 17 as the series' premiere rather than May 1 (when the pilot episode was previewed). This episode also came out the day before Tom Kenny's birthday.
- Mrs. Puff and Gary the Snail are the only main characters whose voice actors do not play live-action versions of them on the Surface Land.
- Mary Jo Catlett, the voice of Mrs. Puff, recorded some behind-the-scenes work as herself, (as seen on Vincent Waller's Twitter) but it was likely cut.
- This is the first episode in season 12 to be written by more than one person.
- This is also the first episode to be written by more than one person since "Squirrel Jelly."
- This is both Princess Mindy and David Hasselhoff's first (and currently, only) appearance outside of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- Vincent Waller has confirmed on Twitter that Stephen Hillenburg was alive during the storyboard and writing phases of the episode. However, he did not contribute to the episode's boarding or script.
- This episode marks the most roles portrayed by Tom Kenny in a single episode (6 in total). He voiced SpongeBob SquarePants, Gary the Snail, and Harold SquarePants, and also played Patchy the Pirate, the French Narrator, and JimBob.
- This is the first episode of season 12 to premiere in Israel and Greece, despite "FarmerBob" being the first episode of the season.
- So far, this is the highest viewed episode of season 12 at 1.83 million US viewers, surpassing "FarmerBob" at 1.40 million US viewers.
- This episode holds the record of being the general highest rated premiere of any show on Nickelodeon in 2019, surpassing a the PAW Patrol episode "Ultimate Rescue: Pups Save a Runaway Stargazer" at 1.43 million US viewers back in January.
- In international versions of the episode, Lana Condor is replaced by John Goodman.
- SpongeBob mentions that Frenchy is Sandy's friend, referencing "Feral Friends."
- This is the first TV movie to premiere after Stephen Hillenburg's lifetime.
- This is the first TV movie to be produced in 1080p. The previous TV movie, "Truth or Square," was produced in 720p.
- This is Patchy's first appearance since the I ♥ SpongeBob week in 2018, and his and Potty's first episode appearance since "Feral Friends."
- Patchy finally meets SpongeBob and his friends.
- This is the first time Rube's name is mentioned during an episode, while in the past episodes he appears in, his name is just listed in the end credits.
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob SquarePants' birthday is celebrated. The first was in "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler."
- This is the third TV movie of the series. The first is "Atlantis SquarePantis" and the second is "Truth or Square."
- It is also the second episode that celebrates the series' anniversary, after "Truth or Square" was produced to celebrate the series' 10th anniversary in 2009.
- This is the second episode to count as two episodes (254 and 255). The first was "Truth or Square," which is also an anniversary special.
- This is the third episode in which the French Narrator is seen in person. The first was in "No Free Rides" and the second was in "Feral Friends."
- "My leg!:" Plankton ties Fred's leg up and forces him to say it.
- This is the Tattletale Strangler's fourth appearance. The first was in "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler," the second was in "Call the Cops" (albeit only on a poster), and the third was in "The Krusty Slammer."
- SpongeBob's parents make their first appearance since "A SquarePants Family Vacation."
- In some countries, this episode airs in two parts. There's an alternate title card used in those countries.
- This also happens to "Atlantis SquarePantis."
- SpongeBob and Patrick can be heard saying bad word #11 from "Sailor Mouth."
- Squidward choking on cake is a reference to "Naughty Nautical Neighbors."
- Live-action Patrick saying "not until four" is a reference to "I Had an Accident."
- Tom is seen holding a drink with two ice cubes in it, which is a reference to "Fools in April".
- A set of four Double Dare episodes premiered to celebrate the 20th anniversary.
- This is the third episode to not have the opening credits take place underwater. The other two episodes to do this are "SB-129" and "Krusty Krab Training Video."
- Although his age isn't said in the show, SpongeBob turns thirty-three. He was going to say his age at the end of the episode, but he was cut off by static.
- This is the first time the elderly fish formerly known as Old Man Jenkins, now known as Old Man Walker, is referred to by his new name in an episode.
- However, the first time the name was used at all was in the credits of "Plankton Paranoia."
- The cast of The SpongeBob Musical appears at the end of the episode, wishing SpongeBob a happy birthday.
- This episode premiered in the US, UK, Ireland, Poland, and Southeast Asia exactly:
- 17 years after "Club SpongeBob" and "My Pretty Seahorse" premiered.
- 3 years after "Sandy's Nutmare" premiered.
- 2 years after SpongeBob Comics No. 70 was released, "SpongeBob's Place" premiered in Germany and "Krusty Katering premiered in Austria and Switzerland.
- 2 days before the day SpongeBob was born (July 14, 1986), and season 13 was confirmed.
- This episode premiered in Canada, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Turkey, France, Wallonia, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, Italy, Greece, Latin America, Iberia, Central & Eastern Europe, Norway, Sweden, Mexico and Romania on Tom Kenny's 57th birthday, nine years after Triton's Revenge was released and SpongeGod and The Story of King Neptune premiered, three years after "Food Con Castaways" premiered and SpongeBob Comics No. 58 was released, and two years after "Plankton Gets the Boot" premiered in Germany and "SpongeBob's Place" premiered in Austria and Switzerland.
- This episode premiered in India eighteen years after The Good, the Bad, and the Krabby and A Christmas Coral were published, thirteen years after the SpongeBob DetectivePants: The Case of the Missing Spatula book and The Art Contest: No Cheating Allowed! were published, six years after "Don't Look Now" and "Séance Shméance" premiered in Greece, three years after "Mall Girl Pearl" and "Two Thumbs Down" premiered in Canada and "Patrick! The Game" and "The Sewers of Bikini Bottom" premiered in Israel, two years after "Squid Plus One" and "The Executive Treatment" premiered in Japan, and two years after "Doodle Dimension" and "Moving Bubble Bass" premiered in Israel and "Fun-Sized Friends" and "Grandmum's the Word" premiered in Russia.
- Mrs. Puff asks Squidward if he has ever taught SpongeBob how to drive before, which he has to an extent in "Pizza Delivery," although Mrs. Puff was not around to see that.
- The live-action Patrick struggling to order something is a reference to "Krusty Krab Training Video."
- At the end of the birthday theme, where everybody cheers, Squidward can be heard saying "I still don't like you!"
- When comparing the Trusty Slab scene in its clip uploaded by the official SpongeBob SquarePants YouTube channel, versus the same scene in the actual episode, the dialogue, while the same lines, is delivered differently.
- This is the sixth time the show's theme song is sung within an episode. The first was "Truth or Square," the second was "Unreal Estate," the third was "Sanitation Insanity," the fourth was "Old Man Patrick," and the fifth was "Karen's Virus".
- In this episode's version, SpongeBob responds at the beginning of his birthday song "Me! Me! Me! Me!" in place of the show's theme song choir saying his name.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob's alarm clock shows sentience. The first was "Gary's New Toy.
- There is a 22-minute (30 minutes with commercial breaks) version of the episode, which includes some differences.
- All of the partying/planning scenes are cut.
- SpongeBob's house is not destroyed, and Old Man Walker is not present.
- Patrick starts dancing to the Birthday Song before the group joins in, and he is in a different position throughout the song as well.
- Some dialogue was changed.
- The pie dragon chase and paperclip jungle scenes are cut.
- The credits play when Patrick saves everyone from the aquarium.
- At one point, the Target Corporation logo can be seen.
- Slappy is a parody of the actor Peter Lorre, who was also caricatured in many Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies throughout the 1930s to the 50s.
- Beach Blanket Bean-Go is a reference to the movie "Beach Blanket Bingo."
- On YTV, the closed-captions misspell Potty's name as Polly.
- When Rube gives SpongeBob a party hat, he and Patrick are sat on the left. However, in all other scenes, he is sat on the right.
- There's a lot of shots on the surface where the passengers in the tour bus aren't animated, leaving them as figurines.
- Although John Goodman was heard in the ending, he did not appear in the actual episode premiere.
- It's unknown how Patchy is able to breathe underwater, considering he would drown due to lack of oxygen.
- The bus tour driver and its passengers try to sing to SpongeBob the Happy Birthday song, but something gets in their way of doing so.
- While preparing SpongeBob's party, Sandy says a sentence featuring the word "surprise." The other party guests say, "Surprise," followed by Sandy exclaiming "Not now!"
- When SpongeBob gets here, everyone says "Surprise," but they're tired of partying, so they want to sleep.
- Patrick forgetting to tell SpongeBob of the surprise party.
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/MTVAUSTRALIA/posts/10157498800918993
- ^ SpongeBob Schwammkopf S12E13: SpongeBobs große Geburtstagssause (1) (SpongeBob’s Birthday (1)) (in German). Fernsehserien.de. Archived from the original on 2019-07-23. Retrieved on 2019-07-23.
- ^ 20 χρόνια Μπομπ Σφουγγαράκης (in Greek). Nickelodeon Greece. Archived from the original on 2019-07-13. Retrieved on 2019-07-13.
- ^ A Nickelodeon júliusi újdonságai (in Hungarian). Gyerek-Világ (2019-06-08). Retrieved on 2019-07-23.
- ^ Nickelodeon celebra 20 anni di SpongeBob, arriva un episodio inedito (in Italian). Askanews (2019-07-08). Retrieved on 2019-07-27.
- ^ Bob l'éponge fête ses 20 ans sur Nickelodeon (in French). Telecablesat Hebdo (2019-06-20). Retrieved on 2019-07-26. “samedi 13 juillet, avec un rendez-vous exceptionnel à 11:35 !”
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1088493681097596928
- ^ http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2019/01/nickelodeon-to-celebrate-spongebob.html
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1132304118196785153
- ^ https://twitter.com/SpongeBob/status/1109809661719560192
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1088220624806277120
- ^ a b Lisa de Moraes (2019-02-11). Making ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ Doppelganger Birthday Special “Like Having Sex With Lights On” – TCA. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved on 2019-07-17.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1088220624806277120
- ^ Jones, Marcus (2019-05-22). David Hasselhoff joins the SpongeBob SquarePants 20th anniversary special. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 2019-07-17.
- ^ Baxter, Joseph (2019-06-18). Nickelodeon to Hold SpongeBob 20th Birthday Blowout at Comic-Con. Den of Geek. Retrieved on 2019-07-17.
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmLHLTlrck
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ltUXPLwow
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkJz8Urjcw
- ^ https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9222502/?ref_=tt_eps_cu_n
- ^ http://www.tv.com/shows/spongebob-squarepants/spongebobs-big-birthday-blowout-3590630/
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1096564449446510592
- ^ Kevin🌐 on Twitter: "I was actually awake to watch the 30-minute version of "SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout" this time around, and will have some..."
|SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout (V • E)|
Characters and actors: JimBob • Patrick (live-action) • Mr. Manward • Mr. Slabs • Pearl Slabs • Mr. Charleston • Carol • Jack Griffo • Daniella Perkins • Kel Mitchell • Beanie McBean • Jace Norman • David Hasselhoff • Cory Demeyers • Lana McKissack • Sydney Olson • Can • Gorilla Boss • Monkey Middle Managers • Gilbert Gottfried • Slappy • PA System • Office Middle Management • Patrick's lover fish • Dog walker • Rube • Pie dragon • JoJo Siwa
Objects: Slabby Patty