Porifera, more commonly known as sea sponges or sponges, are animals that make up a phylum of the kingdom Animalia (animals). In real life, sea sponges cannot walk or swim, so they eat by filter-feeding (straining the surrounding water for nutrient particles). Many sea sponges reproduce by "budding," which is when a portion of the sponge breaks off and becomes a complete animal. Humans have used dried sea sponges as cleaning tools throughout history, but nowadays, most cleaning sponges are man-made.
In SpongeBob SquarePants, the main character is a sea sponge. The series' creator, Stephen Hillenburg, was a marine science teacher and thought that the sponge was a fascinating and underrepresented animal. In The Origin of SpongeBob SquarePants, Hillenburg explained that he chose to focus on a sea sponge because he considered it "the weirdest animal" on Earth. SpongeBob's early designs looked more accurate to a realistically-shaped sea sponge, but Hillenburg later thought that a square shape would emphasize the character's "nerdiness."
SpongeBob often displays traits typical of real-life sea sponges. He filter-feeds in "I Had an Accident" and reproduces by budding in multiple episodes, including "Pressure." In The SpongeBob Musical, SpongeBob's exact species of sea sponge is identified: Aplysina fistularis, a yellow sea sponge commonly found in open waters.
The characters that belong to this phylum are:
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Blue SquarePants
- Girly TeenGirl
- Grandma SquarePants
- Grandpa SquarePants
- Margaret SquarePants
- Harold SquarePants
- Primitive Sponge
- Sherm SquarePants
- SpongeBob's grandson
- SpongeBuck SquarePants
- Stanley S. SquarePants
- Singing traffic cop
- The Drifter
- Todd SquarePants
- Sponge on the New Sponge billboard
- Spongy Spongy
Since several sponges in the series are based off of SpongeBob's design, many are square-shaped. The sponges that are square are SpongeBob, Grandpa SquarePants, Primitive Sponge, SpongeBob's Grandson, Stanley, Sherm, the Drifter, Girly Teengirl, SpongeTron, SpongeGar, SpongeBuck, Todd, and the sponge on the New Sponge billboard. All but Sherm have a long nose.
This is the most common look of the square sponges in the series. The sponges that are square are SpongeBob, Grandpa SquarePants, Primitive Sponge, SpongeBob's Grandson, Sherm, the Drifter, Girly Teengirl, SpongeTron, and SpongeGar, SpongeBuck, Todd, and the sponge on the New Sponge billboard.
They are all vertical rectangular shaped.
This is the most common color of the short square sponges. The sponges that are yellow are SpongeBob, Grandpa SquarePants, Primitive Sponge, SpongeBob's Grandson, Sherm, the Drifter, Girly Teengirl, SpongeTron, and SpongeGar, SpongeBuck, and Todd.
The only sponge that is green is the sponge on the New Sponge billboard.
The only sponge that is tall is Stanley S. SquarePants. Unlike the short square sponges, he has a vertical rectangular head and a skinny body. He is yellow with olive green holes.
The sponges that are round are Blue SquarePants, Harold SquarePants, Grandma SquarePants, Margaret SquarePants, and BlackJack.
The only sponge that is brown is Harold SquarePants.
The sponges that are tan are Blue SquarePants, Grandma SquarePants, Margaret SquarePants, and BlackJack.
Phosphorescent Kitchen Sponges
Many of these sponges appear during the song "(Just A) Simple Sponge." in the "SpongeBob Musical: Live On Stage!".
Only two of these appear when SpongeBob plays his nose during "(Just A) Simple Sponge." in the "SpongeBob Musical: Live On Stage!".
Several generations later, there was a member known as SpongeGar. He was the first known family member to be friends with a Tentacles Family member, Squog. He is also the first known family member to own a member of Gary's family as a pet.
Sometime between SpongeGar and SpongeBuck, a member left the place now known as Bikini Bottom.
SpongeBuck SquarePants arrived by train to a town called Dead Eye Gulch, one of Bikini Bottom's former names. He soon met Pecos Patrick, William Krabs, Mrs. Puff, Hopalong Tentacles, and Dead Eye Plankton, the "mayor" of the town. Dead Eye was a cruel creature who drove out of town or killed all the sheriffs in the town. SpongeBuck, looking for the fry cook position, was given the sheriff position because the advertisement that SpongeBuck had shown Mr. Krabs, the creature who bestows the position of fry cook and sheriff, had a large advertisement for the sheriff's position. At first, SpongeBuck was driven out of town by Dead Eye, but after Pecos Patrick gave SpongeBuck a pep talk, SpongeBuck saved the town from Dead Eye by accidentally stepping on him, which none of the citizens had thought of. The town was then renamed back to Bikini Gulch, the former name of Dead Eye Gulch before Dead Eye took over. SpongeBuck was given a statue, made out of Dead Eye's gold, and the fry cook position.
Several generations later, there was a member known as an unknown female sponge who possibly gave birth to SpongeBob's great grandmother, while the former later gave birth to either Grandpa SquarePants, Grandpa BubbleBottom, Grandma SquarePants, or Grandma BubbleBottom. "Grandpa SquarePants" is known for giving out good advice. The two most notable pieces are "If we were meant to fly, we'd have propellers on our heads and jet engines on our backs." and "Never run for a bus, especially one that's going up at a 90-degree angle." He married a female sponge now known as "Grandma SquarePants". With her, he had at least 6 children.
Grandma SquarePants is the current oldest living SquarePants family member. She lives alone in a cottage. She is most known for baking, in SpongeBob's words, "the best cookies in the deep blue sea.
Sherm is a son of Grandma and Grandpa SquarePants. The only known things about him are that he can stick a watermelon up his nose and he has a son named "Stanley S. SquarePants". Stanley S. SquarePants, the son of Sherm, is a sponge that cannot do anything right while destroying everything he touches.
Blue SquarePants, son of Grandma and Grandpa SquarePants, is a former police chief that lives next to his nephew, BlackJack.
BlackJack is a sponge that was arrested and eventually released, for littering. When he and SpongeBob were children, BlackJack would beat up SpongeBob.
Todd is a sponge that came to live with his cousin, SpongeBob, for a few weeks.
Larry is one of SpongeBob's cousins.
Harold, son of Grandma and Grandpa SquarePants is a father and husband. According to SpongeBob's thoughts, he works or at least used to work at an office. He married Margaret and had SpongeBob with her.
Margaret SquarePants, formerly Margaret BubbleBottom, is the wife of Harold SquarePants and the mother of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob SquarePants, the son of Harold and Margaret SquarePants, is the fry cook at the Krusty Krab and the main character of the series.
SpongeBob will have a grandson without a known name. He will listen to at least one of SpongeBob's stories but will be bored of it and more involved in his video games.
Several generations later, about 2000 years after SpongeBob's time, there will be a new robotic member known as SpongeTron who is an employee at the Krusty Krab in a Chrome Bikini Bottom.
The first known family member, Primitive Sponge, had an arched back, two saber teeth, wore a brown cloth, his mouth was wide, he had a chin, a prominent forehead, and flat cheeks with three freckles on each. He also had an almost straight nose which was yellow with light olive holes, had skinny appendages, and two eyes.
Several generations later, SpongeGar had a straighter back, the teeth of Primitive Sponge were replaced by a single tooth in the middle of SpongeGar's face, he wore cloths more like clothing, he had a smaller chin, his forehead was not as prominent, and a unibrow was present. Everything else remained the same.
Several generations later, the tooth of SpongeGar was replaced by two buckteeth, he wore clothing, he had an even smaller chin, his forehead was even less prominent, the unibrow of SpongeGar was no longer there, SpongeBuck had three eyelashes on each eye, his cheeks were much more prominent, and his nose was more arched. Everything else remained the same.
A few generations later, not much is known about the teeth of Grandpa SquarePants as he has only appeared old, the only thing we know is that he had at least one bottom tooth, nothing is known about his chin, forehead, or cheeks. Unlike SpongeBuck, he has eyebrows, which are thick and cloud-shaped. Everything else remained the same or almost the same.
Every known generation, up to Grandpa SquarePants appears to have been purely square Sponge, but some time before Grandma SquarePants, a common ancestor of her and Margaret SquarePants, was brown and round.
Grandma SquarePants is round and tan with brown holes. She has a triangle of puffy hair, her nose is somewhat arched, she does not have eyebrows and might not have eyelashes either, and, like her husband's family, she has skinny appendages. Her eye color could either be green or brown as two of her children, Sherm, has brown eyes, and Blue has green eyes. She does not have cheeks or at least has flat cheeks without freckles.
There are three known children of Grandma and Grandpa SquarePants:
- Harold SquarePants: Like his mother he is round, however, he is darker brown than her. Unlike both of his parents, he has a large nose that appears to be on his face, instead of protruding outward. He also has lighter holes than his mother, but still darker than his "skin". His eye color could either be green or brown as two of his brother, Sherm, has brown eyes, and Blue has green eyes. Unlike his father, he has a mustache. Like his mother, he does not eyebrows. Like his mother, he does not have cheeks or at least has flat cheeks without freckles Everything else is the same. However, in later seasons, he has long feet.
- Sherm SquarePants: Like his father, he is square, yellow with olive green holes, has three eyelashes, possibly unlike his father, has at least six prominent teeth, on or above his nose, are some holes. Not much is known about his nose because it was seen with a watermelon in it, all that is known is that he can stick a watermelon up it. Unlike his father and possibly his mother, he has brown eyes. Everything else is the same. Possibly like his father, he has prominent cheeks with freckles.
- Blue SquarePants: Like his mother, he is round and tan, however, his holes are lighter than her holes. Possibly like his father, he has prominent cheeks with freckles. Like his father, he has eyebrows, however, they are a lot thinner. Unlike his father and possibly like his mother, he has green eyes. Possibly like his father, he has prominent cheeks with freckles.
There are four known grandchildren of Grandma and Grandpa.
- SpongeBob: son of Harold and Margaret SquarePants, is square and yellow with olive green holes. Like his mother, he has three eyelashes on each eye, prominent cheeks with three freckles, and his eyes are blue. He has a somewhat straight nose, but also droops down on his face when he is sad, like his father's nose is normally. He has a wide mouth with two buck teeth.
- BlackJack: grandson of Grandma and Grandpa SquarePants, like his uncle and grandmother he is round, however, he is darker brown than her. He also has lighter holes than his relatives, but still darker than his "skin". He was formerly large but shrunk while in prison.
- Larry: grandson of Grandma and Grandpa SquarePants, or Grandma and Grandpa BubbleBottom. It is unknown what shape he is as he never physically appears.
- Stanley S. SquarePants: son of Sherm SquarePants, is yellow and has a square head with olive green holes like his father. Like his father, he has skinny appendages and prominent cheeks with three freckles. Unlike his father and most likely his mother, he has blue eyes, eyebrows, a full head of hair, does not have eyelashes, and is tall.
- Todd: grandson of Grandma and Grandpa SquarePants, is square and yellow with olive green holes. His nose is protruding and is fairly straight. He has blue eyes, slightly curling upwards, a pointy beard, and thick black eyebrows. He also wears glasses similar to the ones that SpongeBob wears when jellyfishing, but with round lenses instead of squarish ones.
There is one known in law in the family. Margaret SquarePants wife of Harold SquarePants, is tan and round with dark tan holes. Unlike her husband's family (except Stanley, BlackJack, and Grandma SquarePants), she has a full head of hair. She has three eyelashes one each eye, blue eyes, a small nose that sort of arches, and prominent cheeks with three freckles. She also has skinny appendages.
The Drifter's family
Not much is known about this family. The only known family member is Girly TeenGirl, a sponge who appeared at Mr. Krabs' house during Pearl's sleepover. Pearl thought that Girly was SpongeBob in disguise, working for Mr. Krabs, who was kicked out to avoid trouble.
SpongeGar lived in a primitive pineapple. He lived with his snail Gary.
Grandma SquarePants lives alone in a cottage.
Blue and Harold and Margaret live in metal houses.
BlackJack lives in a wooden house with his pet worm.
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple at the address 124 Conch Street. He lives with his pet snail, Gary.
Although it has not been confirmed, SpongeBob's grandson might also live in the pineapple with or instead of SpongeBob in the future.
As SpongeBob once said, in real life, sponges do filter-feed. However, in the show, they are able to consume many things.
SpongeGar was able to eat a large amount of plants and non-living things, such as sand once he and his friends discovered fire.
SpongeBuck was known to have made chili that tasted bad to at least Mr. Krabs.
Grandma SquarePants is best known for her cookies. She has also appeared with a cake. Her kitchen also contains a bowl of what might be food balls.
Blue was seen with a tomato juice.
Harold, Margaret, and SpongeBob have all appeared eating Krabby Patties.
SpongeBob has also consumed chips (evidenced by Chip), chocolate bars, enchiladas, Barnacle loaf, at least one Jelly Patty, Kelp Nougat Crunch, at least one Kelp Shake, a peanut onion sundae, once a Rusty on Rye, apples, and many other foods and drinks. He also ate Snail-Po on one occasion.
- Sponge on Wikipedia