- Patrick Star
- Meredith (heard only)
- Isopod (debut)
- Giant clam (cameo)
- Nick Fishkins (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sea urchins (cameo)
- Mr. Sun (cameo)
- Smiling rainbow (debut; cameo)
- Jellyfish (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Four of the Fishtrap children (mentioned)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Fish on Everybody Aplomb Now
- Rock Band (mentioned)
The episode begins with Patrick seeing a commercial starring Nick Fishkins, who says he will buy anyone's house. Patrick stupidly thinks that he means he wants to buy his house only. Patrick immediately rushes over and tells SpongeBob he is going on a "forever hike," and informs him about the commercial. SpongeBob kindly invites Patrick to come and move in with him and Gary. Inside SpongeBob's pineapple late at night, the commercial appears yet again causing SpongeBob and Patrick to shriek. They decide to run away and end up living behind the Krusty Krab, where they choose to turn in for the night.
Squidward wakes up feeling weirded out stating that he "normally wakes up with a feeling of dread," but today he feels unusually happy. He walks to work with a rainbow over his head and sings and dances about how great he feels. He then gets to work and says hello to SpongeBob, which makes him realize why he was so happy: since SpongeBob was not there to annoy him.
Both SpongeBob and Patrick, meanwhile, have created a makeshift house out of garbage and begin acting like hillbillies. They explain what is going on to Squidward, who asks why they didn't just use the money that Nick Fishkins gave them to buy new houses. SpongeBob realizes he never got paid, but decides he is content in his trash "house." Squidward tries to explain to them that Nick Fishkins doesn't want to buy their houses, but pauses and decides to go along with it, as he is having a flashback about a rainbow smashing both their houses, therefore leaving him with a life without SpongeBob and Patrick. He gives them a smug grin and then leaves them stating that they have just been "Fishkined," that there wasn't anything "they can do about that," and returns to work.
The next day, SpongeBob drinks some corn and Patrick dumps the contents of a garbage can on him as a "shower." Mr. Krabs is repulsed when he sees SpongeBob and says he looks like he has just slept in trash, which is actually accurate. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs he lives outside of the Krusty Krab now, and Mr. Krabs becomes easily furious due to SpongeBob's "home" being on Krusty Krab property. He tells SpongeBob he will have to use his paycheck money to pay for his trash "house," to which SpongeBob replies he didn't know being homeless would be so expensive.
That evening, SpongeBob shows a little sadness since he misses his old neighborhood. He and Patrick decide to re-visit their old homes after work. Squidward, wanting them to stay at the Krusty Krab so he wouldn't have to live with them anymore, lies that a German family with twelve children has moved into SpongeBob's pineapple and a rock band with eight members who have lots of instruments and equipment with them, have moved into Patrick's rock. SpongeBob says he can learn German and Patrick says he can learn what "learn" means, and they decide they will go anyway, assuming they will be let in anyway if they "ask nicely."
Back at home, Squidward is shocked to see SpongeBob knocking on the door to his pineapple house. He knows that SpongeBob thinks a German family resides there and decides he has to do something quick. He goes to his closet and throws on some different clothes, then sneaks through SpongeBob's back door. When he answers the front door, he is dressed similarly to a cultural German man. SpongeBob greets Squidward, "Guten morgen!" and then begins to speak fluent German. Squidward is amazed by this, but requests SpongeBob to speak English as he is "trying to learn it." He replies with a made-up name being Gerhard. SpongeBob then barges in and asks where his wife is, as Gerhard mentions her earlier. Gerhard says that his wife is very shy. At the same time, Patrick is knocking on his rock, as Gerhard makes SpongeBob sit in a chair and not move and mentions he will back.
He runs to his house and puts on a rock band outfit, then sneaks into Patrick's rock without him noticing him. Everything goes fine, until Patrick asks him what instrument he plays and Squidward answers with "electric clarinet." Patrick does not think there is such a thing as an electric clarinet and demands proof of its existence. As Squidward is getting his clarinet and an amplifier ready, he hears SpongeBob calling, wondering where he is. Because of this, Squidward has to leave his musical equipment at Patrick's rock, but forgets to change his outfit.
When Squidward returns, SpongeBob thinks he is Gerhard's wife, Hedwig. Squidward changes his voice and says that "she" is. "She" feeds SpongeBob some "German" food (which is actually trash), but then remembers about Patrick. "She" kicks SpongeBob outside and says the meal is "to-go," and sneaks off again. Being confused, SpongeBob assumes that it is an outdoor concert, and hopes that the twelve Fishtrap children will be singing to him as he eats. Back at Patrick's rock, Squidward plays the electric clarinet for Patrick, successfully proving to him that it is a real instrument. In fact, Patrick likes it so much, he suggests he give lessons to "his ex-neighbor, Squidward," as he stinks, much to the latter's annoyance.
Patrick leaves and joins SpongeBob on the sidewalk as he eats his dinner. Squidward puts eight sock puppets on his tentacles, posing as the twelve German children, who all pop out of the house and sing a short song before going back in. SpongeBob comments that the youngest one was off-key, and Patrick suggests bringing the rock band to play with them. Squidward suddenly decides he's had enough and jumps out of the house with the puppets still on his tentacles and says he made everything up. He reveals himself to the shocked SpongeBob and Patrick as he tells his neighbors that Nick Fishkins does not actually want to have their houses; he insults them for stupidly believing the commercial and explains to them they still have their houses. SpongeBob and Patrick realize their mistake before Squidward tells them Nick only wants to buy them temporarily, flip them, and sell them for a profit. He then angrily walks back inside his tiki house, and says he wants to move away.
As a result, Patrick and SpongeBob misunderstand what Squidward actually means. They decide that Squidward's house needs flipping, which causes an attempt to "flip" his house with Squidward still inside. It lands upside down, and one of the windows breaks. At that moment, Nick Fishkins just happens to be driving by, and declares Squidward's house a wreck. He also says it is "not sold." Squidward pops out of the top (what used to be the bottom) of his house and asks who drove by, and what he said. After the two reply that it was Nick Fishkins and repeat what he said about Squidward's house, Squidward cannot believe they ruined his chance to move away, in which they reply with a "You're welcome!" SpongeBob and Patrick then return to their old houses, and Squidward's house crumbles as he groans "Ach du lieber."
This section is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by making this section specific and short.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Pinapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Friends and Family - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne [Patrick watches TV.]
‣ Rodeo Daze - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [TV commercial]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the next scene]
‣ A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick tells SpongeBob that Nick Fishkins sold his house.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Aw, don't worry, Patrick."]
‣ Battle Stations - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob and Patrick watch TV.]
‣ Rodeo Daze - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Nick Fishkings appears on TV.]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob and Patrick scream.]
‣ M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick, and Gary go to the Krusty Krab.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick laughs.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm?"]
• Smilin' Rainbows - Andrew Goodman [Squidward sings this.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, that's why I felt great this morning."]
‣ Skipping to Hillbilly School - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [House made of trash]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [Squidward's daydream]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr [Squidward gets an idea.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Looks like you guys got Fishkinned."]
‣ Hawaiian Ragtime Blues - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob wakes up the next morning.]
‣ Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Ah, work is done."]
‣ Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward tells SpongeBob and Patrick not to visit their houses.]
‣ Elegance [#25] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward is at home reading magazines.]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob knocks on his door.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (g) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward runs to SpongeBob's house.]
‣ Beer (On This Table) Please - Rosita S Romano [Squidward answers the door in disguise/"Nein, nein! No moven sie! Sitz!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward runs back home.]
‣ ? ["Hey man, like, what's happening?"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I'll be right back."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward returns to SpongeBob's house.]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [Squidward pretending to be Hedwig.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (XVI) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I love outdoor concerts."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward runs to Patrick's rock.]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr [Squidward playing the electric clarinet.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward growls.]
‣ Polka - [Optigan sample] [Singing sockpuppets]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony ["I think the littlest kiddywink is off-key."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward growls.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield ["He doesn't live in the houses he buys."]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [Squidward explains what Nick Fishkins does.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["I know!"]
‣ Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["One... two... three!"]
‣ Rodeo Daze - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Nick Fishkins pulls up.]
‣ Pineapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The ending]
- The beginning of this episode is similar to "Home Sweet Pineapple" because they both start with someone interrupting SpongeBob.
- The ending of this episode is similar to "A Friendly Game" because they both end with Squidward's house falling apart and him mumbling.
- Mr. Sun with red eyes and cheeks who first appears in the episode "Best Day Ever," makes a brief cameo in this episode.
- This is the fifth and final episode to air for the May 2016 premiere week.
- This episode premiered in Canada and Russia on August 5, 2016 which was almost exactly 3 months after it premiered in the United States.
- SpongeBob's, Squidward's, and Patrick's houses are all destroyed in this episode. SpongeBob's and Patrick's houses get crushed by a rainbow (in Squidward's dream) while Squidward's house is flipped and then collapses.
- This episode takes place after "Skill Crane" because Squidward has the same teddy bear in this episode that he got in that episode.
- In "Squid's Visit," Squidward says that he has never been to SpongeBob's house, but in this episode, he visits it. This would mean that this episode takes place after "Squid's Visit".
- This is the second episode to feature a trash house. The first is "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful" with Squidward's trash house.
- This is the second season 9 episode where SpongeBob goes to the Krusty Krab covered in trash and has bad odor. The first is "Lost in Bikini Bottom."
- This is the last episode that premiered to use the original 480i SDTV (standard definition) version of the theme song.
- This is the third episode in which SpongeBob is unable to live in his house. The first is "Home Sweet Pineapple," and the second is "Home Sweet Rubble."
- The fourth is "Unreal Estate."
- This episode reveals SpongeBob knows how to speak German.
- When speaking German, SpongeBob says "Good morning, my name is SpongeBob. I have come to visit my old home." However his pronunciation is very slurred.
- In the German dub of the episode, during the scene where SpongeBob speaks German, SpongeBob speaks Bavarian.
- This is obviously due to the fact Squidward saying "The Fishtraps only speak... mm... German!" would make no sense whatsoever.
- This episode premiered 11 years after "Fear of a Krabby Patty" and "Shell of a Man."
- This episode premiered in Canada eight years after "Patty Caper" premiered and Spongezilla Attacks! was released and three years after SpongeBob on Tour was released in the UK.
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob and Patrick have foiled Squidward's attempt to move out of Bikini Bottom, following "Opposite Day."
- The background of this episode's title card is reused for "The String."
- This episode premiered in Ukraine on May 6, 2017, exactly one year after it aired in the US.
- The Fishtraps are most likely a reference to the Von Traps from The Sound of Music.
- Patrick and SpongeBob's houses disappear around the time Squidward is shown reading his magazine.
- SpongeBob's mouth is out of sync right before Squidward kicks him outside of the house.
- When SpongeBob is speaking German, he greets Squidward with "Guten morgen," which means "good morning," but it's nighttime. He should've said "Guten abend," which means "good evening."
- Squidward says Mr. and Mrs. Fishtrap have twelve kids, but when they come out to sing, there are only eight.
- Squidward only has four legs and two arms, so it would be impossible for him to control eight kids at once with only six limbs.
- In the title card, the text for Paul Tibbitt is there for one frame after the credits fade upwards.