- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Daydream Patrick
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Giant clam
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 47
- Baby Billy
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 24 (name revealed)
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 108 (Incidental-27-colored)
- Incidental 41 (Incidental-73-colored)
- Incidental 49 (normal; light blue)
- Officer Slugfish
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 103
- K-9 Unit (debut)
- SWAT Member
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 69 (orange)
- Sandals (blue)
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (mentioned)
- Incidental 14
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 116
- Hospital announcer (heard only)
- Dr. Forest (mentioned)
SpongeBob and Patrick get new slide whistles and are constantly playing them, even outside of Squidward's house, much to the annoyance of Squidward. He becomes increasingly annoyed as they use the slide whistles as sound effects for everything he does, including reading a book, making his bed, and cleaning his toilet. He eventually has enough of it and flees his house. This results in SpongeBob and Patrick following him, thinking that he is finally playing with them and ignoring his cries to leave him alone.
He has finally had enough of it and snaps. He forcefully grabs SpongeBob's slide whistle and uses it against the two. SpongeBob says that he has an equally better ear for music and soon buys one himself.
Squidward then becomes obsessive over it and proceeds to play it around town: first, he scares Dennis out of his wits as Dennis thinks he is being annoyed by ghosts. Soon after, Squidward impersonates a baby and scares Sadie out of her wits, making her see Squidward as a "baby assaulter," resulting in the annoyance of many people.
Soon, the Bikini Bottomites form an angry mob and end on the warpath against Squidward. Squidward manages to take control over a gasoline tanker truck, destroys the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab all at once, jumps over a row of boatmobiles through a ring of a fire, and drives away from the mob thinking he has escaped. Squidward says that he does not want to stop, but SpongeBob and Patrick appear and ask if he is sure he does not want to.
Squidward quickly notices that SpongeBob was trying to warn him that a cliff was ahead but there is nothing Squidward can do now that he's closer to it. SpongeBob and Patrick stop just in time, but the gasoline tanker truck keeps going and falls off the cliff, causing it to explode, much to the joy of the town as they see that Squidward is finally stopped. At the hospital, the slide whistle is stuck in his throat, and since no one at the hospital has the technology to remove it and it is the only way he can communicate, they leave it on Squidward. SpongeBob and Patrick then play around the hospital with the whistles as the episode comes to an end.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
• Slide Whistle Stooges 2 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["We're slide whistling."]
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Twice as many slide whistles!"]
• 12th Street Rag with Bass - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward annoyed by SpongeBob and Patrick's slide whistling]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I got to get out of here!"]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Look, Patrick, Squidward's finally playing along."]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward takes SpongeBob's slide whistle]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward playing the slide whistle]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["I do?"]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward playing slide whistles]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward touching the whistle]
• Sad Solo Violins - Nicolas Carr, Ezra Kliger ["Oh, honey, I'm so sorry."]
• Ascending Organ Drama - Nicolas Carr ["Can I help you?"]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["She's not lying."]
‣ Deeply Moving Experience - Gerhard Trede [angry mob chases Squidward]
‣ Dramatic Sea Battle - Gerhard Trede ["What do you make of it, sarge?"]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [cops arrive]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Would you like some more?"]
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward destroys places while driving with a slide whistle]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [cliff]
• Wahini Wobble Faster - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward in the hospital]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on SpongeBob's To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants, Season 6 Volume 1, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 10, The Tom Kenny Collection, Boating Buddies, Kids Double Pack: Volume 4, Kids Double Pack: Volume 7, Complete Sixth Season, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, 3 DVD Value Pack, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is number 6 on The Tom Kenny Collection on iTunes and Amazon.com. His description says:
- "SpongeBob and Patrick drive Squidward nuts with their new slide whistles. I'm a sucker for any episode where a tiny thing gets on Squid's nerves until he snaps. (Roger[ ] Bumpass is great at vocalizing Squidward’s "losing it.")"
- This episode was paired up with "Shuffleboarding" during the original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "The Splinter."
- A clip of this episode is seen on the "SpongeBob Premiere Factor 5" commercials, even though this episode did not premiere during that week in June 2008. This episode would not premiere in any country until one month later on July 21, 2008.
- The title card background is SpongeBob's bedroom wall.
- Squidward breaks the fourth wall by hiding himself with his robe from viewers, even though he is alone at home.
- This episode reveals the name of the light brown muscular fish with squinting eyes: Frank.
- Mr. Krabs makes a cameo in this episode, claiming that Plankton finally got what he deserved and then crying after Squidward used the truck to crash into the Krusty Krab.
- The sound of the slide whistles follow the background music at some points.
- This is the first episode where "Slide Whistle Stooges" and "Slide Whistle Stooges 2" play. Their titles are based on this episode.
- This is the first episode where the Chum Bucket appears without Plankton.
- This is the second episode where Patrick is seen driving. The first is "Driven to Tears."
- Ιn the Greek dub, this episode is called "Η σφυρίχτρα," which translates to "The Slide Whistle."
- In the Polish dub, this episode is called "Żart z gwizdkiem," which translates to "A Joke with Whistle."
- This is the first episode where 12th Street Rag with bass plays.
- The title is a pun on The Three Stooges.
- When Squidward falls off the cliff, in an explosion, SpongeBob and Patrick play the funeral march on their slide whistles.
- When Squidward finds SpongeBob and Patrick under the mat, SpongeBob's socks are missing.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are explaining slide whistles to Squidward near the beginning, Patrick looks very slightly off.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick jump into the paintings, when they fly out, one of the paintings of Squidward's eyes change colors.
- When SpongeBob says, "Look Patrick!," one of his blue eyes turns white for a split-second.
- Incidental 105 says that Squidward lives on Conch Drive when he actually lives on Conch Street.
- The driver of the truck spits his coffee near an air vent. Later, the coffee and the vent are gone when Squidward drives it.
- When Squidward gets in the driver's seat of the truck and takes the wheel, the wheel goes the opposite way he is turning it.
- When Squidward drives through the Krusty Krab, the kitchen, bathrooms, freezer, and Mr. Krabs' office cannot be seen.
- When Squidward is first driving the truck, his feet are on the wheel, but his hands are on the slide whistle, so the truck should not be moving.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick play a funerary tune with their slide whistles after Squidward's fall, SpongeBob has double the freckles on his face rather than three.
- Dr. Gill Gilliam says that they do not have the "technology" to remove the slide whistle from Squidward's throat while the whistle is only hanging from his throat by the tip.
- Even if the slide whistle was stuck in Squidward's throat, it would be a fairly simple operation. All that would need to be done is cut him open, remove the slide whistle, and stitch him back up afterwards.
- Sadie first appears in orange in this episode but is yellow in later scenes.
- In the closing credits to this episode, Clancy Brown, who played Mr. Krabs, is uncredited.