- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Giant Clam
- Baby Billy
- Frank (red shirt)
- Jimmy Gus
- Frank the Goldfish (name revealed)
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Martha Doris Smith
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Frankie Billy
- Dale (Jimmy-Gus-colored)
- Peterson Nat Tucker (paco-colored)
- Norma Rechid (normal; light blue)
- Officer John Slugfish
- Officer Rob Johnson
- Frank the Lifeguard
- Nathiel Waters
- Monroe Timmy
- K-9 Unit (debut)
- SWAT Member
- Mr. Walker
- Abigail (light blue fish)
- Cara (orange)
- Sandals (blue)
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (mentioned)
- Evelyn Annette
- Old Man Jenkins
- Purple Doctorfish
- Hospital announcer (heard only)
- Dr. Forest (mentioned)
SpongeBob and Patrick get new slide whistles and are constantly playing them, even outside of Squidward's house, much to the annoyance of Squidward. He becomes increasingly annoyed as they use the slide whistles as sound effects for everything he does, including reading a book, making his bed and cleaning his toilet. He eventually has enough of it and flees his house. This results in SpongeBob and Patrick following him, thinking that he is finally playing with them and ignoring his cries to leave him alone.
He has finally had enough of it and snaps. He forcefully grabs SpongeBob's slide whistle and uses it against the two. SpongeBob says that he has an equally better ear for music and soon buys one himself.
Squidward then becomes obsessive over it and proceeds to play it around town: first, he scares Dennis out of his wits as Dennis thinks he is being annoyed by ghosts. Soon after, Squidward impersonates a baby and scares Sadie out of her wits, making her see Squidward as a "baby assaulter," resulting in the annoyance of many people.
Soon, the Bikini Bottomites form an angry mob and end on the warpath against Squidward. Squidward manages to take control over a gasoline tanker truck, destroys the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab all at once, jumps over a row of boatmobiles through a ring of a fire, and drives away from the mob thinking he has escaped. Squidward says that he does not want to stop, but SpongeBob and Patrick appear and ask if he is sure he does not want to.
Squidward quickly notices that SpongeBob was trying to warn him that a cliff was ahead but there is nothing Squidward can do now that he's closer to it. SpongeBob and Patrick stop just in time but the gasoline tanker truck keeps going and falls off the cliff, causing it to explode, much to the joy of the town as they see that Squidward is finally stopped. At the hospital, the whistle is stuck in his throat and since no one at the hospital has the technology to remove it and it is the only way he can communicate, so they leave it on Squidward. SpongeBob and Patrick then play around the hospital with the whistles, as the episode comes to an end.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
• Slide Whistle Stooges 2 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["We're slide whistling."]
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Twice as many slide whistles!"]
• 12th Street Rag 3 with Bass - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward annoyed by SpongeBob and Patrick's slide whistling]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I got to get out of here!"]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Look, Patrick, Squidward's finally playing along."]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward takes SpongeBob's slide whistle]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward playing the slide whistle]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["I do?"]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward playing slide whistles]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward touching the whistle]
• Sad Solo Violins - Nicolas Carr, Ezra Kliger ["Oh, honey, I'm so sorry."]
• Ascending Organ Drama - Nicolas Carr ["Can I help you?"]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["She's not lying."]
‣ Deeply Moving Experience - Gerhard Trede [angry mob chases Squidward]
‣ Dramatic Sea Battle - Gerhard Trede ["What do you make of it, sarge?"]
• Short Rising Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [cops arrive]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Would you like some more?"]
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward destroys places while driving with a slide whistle]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [cliff]
• Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward in the hospital]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants, Season 6 Volume 1, Complete Sixth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is number 6 on The Tom Kenny Collection on iTunes and Amazon.com. His description says:
- "SpongeBob and Patrick drive Squidward nuts with their new slide whistles. I'm a sucker for any episode where a tiny thing gets on Squid's nerves until he snaps. (Roger[ ] Bumpass is great at vocalizing Squidward’s "losing it.")"
- Although this episode premiered in 2009, it was made in 2008 according to the credits.
- When this episode premiered it was paired up "Shuffleboarding," but since it has re-airing with "The Splinter."
- The title card background is SpongeBob's bedroom wall.
- A clip of this episode is seen on the "SpongeBob Premiere Factor 5" commercials, even though this episode did not premiere during that week in June 2008. This episode would not premiere in any country until one month later in July 2008.
- Squidward breaks the fourth wall by hiding himself with his robe from viewers, even though he is alone at home.
- This episode reveals the name of the light brown muscular fish with squinting eyes: Frank.
- The sound of the slide whistles follow the background music at some points.
- This is the first episode where "Slide Whistle Stooges" and "Slide Whistle Stooges 2" play. Their titles are based on this episode.
- This is the first episode where the Chum Bucket appears without Plankton.
- This is the second episode where Patrick is seen driving. The first is "Driven to Tears."
- Mr. Krabs makes a cameo in this episode, claiming that Plankton finally got what he deserved and then crying after Squidward used the truck to crash into the Krusty Krab.
- Ιn the Greek dub, this episode is called "Η σφυρίχτρα," which translates to "The Slide Whistle."
- In the Polish dub, this episode is called "Żart z gwizdkiem," which translates to "A Joke with Whistle."
- The title is a pun on The Three Stooges.
- When Squidward falls off the cliff, in an explosion, SpongeBob and Patrick play the funeral march on their slide whistles.
- When Squidward finds SpongeBob and Patrick under the mat, SpongeBob's socks are missing.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are explaining slide whistles to Squidward near the beginning, Patrick looks very slightly off.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick jump into the paintings, when they fly out, one of the paintings of Squidward's eyes change colors.
- When SpongeBob says, "Look Patrick!," one of his blue eyes turns white for a split-second.
- Frank says that Squidward lives on Conch Drive when he actually lives on Conch Street.
- The driver of the truck spits his coffee near an air vent. Later, the coffee and the vent are gone when Squidward drives it.
- When Squidward gets in the driver's seat of the truck and takes the wheel, the wheel goes the opposite way he is turning it.
- When Squidward drives through the Krusty Krab, the kitchen, bathrooms, freezer, and Mr. Krabs' office cannot be seen.
- When Squidward is first driving the truck, his feet are on the wheel, but his hands are on the slide whistle, so the truck should not be moving.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick play a funerary tune with their slide whistles after Squidward's fall, SpongeBob has six freckles rather than three.
- Dr. Gill Gilliam says that they do not have the "technology" to remove the slide whistle from Squidward's throat while the whistle is only hanging from his throat by the tip.
- Even if the slide whistle was stuck in Squidward's throat, it would be a fairly simple operation. All that would need to be done is cut him open, remove the slide whistle, and stitch him back up afterwards.
- Sadie first appears in orange in this episode but is yellow in later scenes.
- In the closing credits to this episode, Clancy Brown, who played Mr. Krabs, is uncredited.