- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Dream Gary (Gary's dream)
- Dream Gary (Plankton's dream)
- Dream Mrs. Puff
- Emily Dickinson (debut) (mentioned)
- Man from Peru (debut) (mentioned)
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- King Fish (debut)
- Dream Audience (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Dream Parakeet
- Pearl Krabs
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Moby Dollar (debut)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton (cameo, desktop form)
- Dream Miss Shell
- Dream Old Man Jenkins
- Dream Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Dream Fred
- Dream Paco
- Dream Gus
After settling in for the evening, SpongeBob has a strange dream, where he is driving a hot rod in a Krabby Patty-themed location and he has his driver's license then crashes into a rock. However, Mrs. Puff appears and tears up SpongeBob's license and he is then propelled out of his own dream.
He appears as a small, glowing version of himself in the outside world, where he sees himself sleeping. SpongeBob realizes that he has no dream to go to until he sees Gary's dream cloud. He jumps in, frightening Gary.
In his dream, Gary has a humanoid body who can speak English and resides in a huge library. Gary tells SpongeBob some limericks before SpongeBob goes out of Gary's dream cloud and into Patrick's. Patrick's dream is completely empty, except for a kiddy ride that he is riding on and a door resembling that of SpongeBob's front door that leads out of the dream. SpongeBob explains to him that in a dream, he can do whatever he wants, which he demonstrates by changing size and creating a million copies of himself. Patrick says he's already satisfied, and SpongeBob goes out of Patrick's dream cloud. The ride then stops and Patrick takes out a quarter but drops it in a sewer grid.
Next, he goes into Squidward's dream, where Squidward is playing his clarinet for a king in a theater. SpongeBob distracts the king by telling him a limerick that Gary recited in his dream, and Squidward stops, and the king growls at him for not playing. After this happens several times, Squidward becomes so angry that he snaps his clarinet, but SpongeBob saves him by turning into a clarinet. It produces no sound, and SpongeBob just sings horribly, which surprisingly everybody applauds at. A crowd then picks up SpongeBob while throwing Squidward into a fruit cart, wondering how he can make such music. He then transforms back into his normal form and runs out the exit doors at the back of the theater. Squidward is knocked into the fruit cart by the audience and the king, while they chase SpongeBob as he exits the dream.
SpongeBob goes into Sandy's dream, where they are skydiving, and have to land on a painted target. SpongeBob asks if it's "kind of dangerous", and Sandy says "Not as long as you got a big ol' parachute." SpongeBob misunderstands her twice (such perceiving "pair of shoes" and "parakeet"), and while trying to explain to him, Sandy fails to open her own parachute in time and lands in a truck filled with clam manure. SpongeBob falls out of Sandy's dream and says to himself "All right, that's it. No more messing with people's dreams."
However, he then goes to what he thinks is Mr. Krabs' dream but actually is Pearl's dream, where she is having a tea party with her stuffed animals in a very childish and girlish setting.
After realizing this, he immediately goes to Mr. Krabs' dream, where he's fishing for money. Mr. Krabs instructs SpongeBob to pull out his money net from his back pocket, which turns out to be Mr. Krabs's wallet. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs manage to catch Moby dollar, but it escapes and Mr. Krabs shoots SpongeBob out of the dream via a harpoon gun tied to SpongeBob.
He is launched directly into Plankton's dream. Plankton, in his dream, is a giant monster and can shoot lasers from his eye, and is destroying the city. SpongeBob realizes that it isn't a dream, but a nightmare. Once Gary is about to be crushed by Plankton, SpongeBob pricks his foot by turning into a pushpin, and Plankton deflates. The angry Bikini Bottomites close in on him and Plankton tells them that he guesses he has some explaining to do, but gets his punishment by being stepped on by everyone else. Plankton then wakes up in terror.
SpongeBob then goes back to his own dream cloud, where the angry faces of everyone who's dreams he entered appear around him. When he wakes up, everyone is in his house complaining that he's messed up their dreams and tell him to stay out. Patrick then appears and asks "Does anyone have a quarter?" then everybody looks at Patrick in confusion and the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Vibe Link (a) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob falls asleep]
‣ Happy End - Gerhard Trede [start of SpongeBob's dream]
‣ Custom Cruiser - The Mel-Tones [SpongeBob driving]
‣ Bring Back [#18] - Lars-Luis Linek [Mrs. Puff takes away SpongeBob's license]
‣ Orchestral Effect (f) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob enters Gary's dream]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Gary?"]
‣ Mozart Concerto 21 In C, 2nd Mvt. - Jonathan Starkey, Wolfgang Mozart [Emily Dickinson poem]
‣ The Foot of the Hill - Miloslav Verner [man from Peru]
‣ Mozart Concerto 21 In C, 2nd Mvt. - Jonathan Starkey, Wolfgang Mozart [SpongeBob leaves]
‣ Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (b) - Brian Gulland, Richard Harvey [Patrick asleep]
‣ Dombummel - Gerhard Trede [Patrick's dream]
‣ ? - Brad Carow [Squidward playing clarinet]
‣ Royal Entrance - Dick Stephen Walter ["Why do you stop playing, Wolfgang Amadeus Tentacles?"]
‣ ? - Brad Carow [Squidward continues playing clarinet]
‣ Majesty - Dick Stephen Walter ["Hey! I have not instructed you to stop!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward breaks his clarinet]
‣ Elemental Power - Gerhard Trede ["I came here to hear beautiful music!"/King glares down at Squidward]
‣ Sleeping Beauty - David Farnon ["Why have you stopped playing that wonderful music?"]
‣ Mersey Mania [#26] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett [audience chases SpongeBob]
‣ Dreaming of Paradise (b) - Helene C.E. Muddiman [Sandy asleep]
‣ Metal Boost - Mac Prindy [skydiving]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Hey! Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ In the Cradle (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Pearl's dream]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#32] - John Fox [Mr. Krabs' dream]
‣ Invincible Armada - Gregor F. Narholz [chasing Krabs' wallet]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White ["This'll make a great fish story, eh, Mr. Krabs?"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Plankton's dream]
‣ Muscovite Rebellion - David Arnold, Paul Hart [giant Plankton zapping everyone]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob returns to his own dream]
‣ Killer Birds [#36] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob surrounded by floating heads]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Tide and Seek, Complete 1st Season, First 100 Episodes, and Karate Choppers DVDs.
- "Sleepy Time" was ranked #70 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- The dreams that were seen in this episode:
- SpongeBob's dream: SpongeBob is driving a racecar through a world filled with Krabby Patties. He gets his driving license, but Mrs. Puff appears and rips it up, destroying his confidence.
- Gary's dream: Gary is the humanoid keeper of a vast library.
- Patrick's dream: Patrick is riding a kiddy ride in an empty white room.
- Squidward's dream: Squidward as Wolfgang Amadeus Tentacles performs at a clarinet recital for a king.
- Sandy's dream: Sandy is skydiving from an airplane to land on a red target.
- Pearl's dream: Pearl is having a tea party with stuffed animals in her fantasy world.
- Mr. Krabs' dream: Mr. Krabs is at sea during a storm, trying to catch a giant dollar bill named "Moby Dollar."
- Plankton's dream: Plankton is a giant causing destruction in Bikini Bottom.
- SpongeBob's second dream: When SpongeBob tucks himself into his bed in his dream bubble, he is surrounded by all of his angry friends' heads.
- This episode premiered in Canada on November 11, 2000.
- Patrick is the only one who doesn't get angry at SpongeBob for entering his dream.
- "My leg!:" In Plankton's dream, just as he is destroying a building.
- This is the first episode to premiere in 2000.
- Although this episode aired in 2000, it was made in 1999 according to the credits.
- This was the first episode to air on a Monday.
- This is the second episode of season one to use the Crowd Scream sound effect, the first one being "Scaredy Pants."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Sennik," which translates to "The Dream Book."
- In the Norwegian dub, the episode title is "Besøk av drømmer," which translates to "Visit of Dreams."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode title is "Slatki Snovi," which translates to "Sweet Dreams."
- This episode heavily uses the concepts of lucid dreaming, astral projection, and out of body experience.
- Gary says "Beware of your wandering eye, you little poriferan" in his dream. The scientific name for a sponge is the phylum Porifera.
- This and its sister episode were written by exactly the same people. The same applies to the storyboard directors, storyboard artists, animation director, and creative director.
- In the video game Battle for Bikini Bottom, there is a stage based on this episode: SpongeBob's Dream, where it takes place in the dream world and allows SpongeBob to visit the dreams of other characters. Also, one of the robots that appears in the level is called a Sleepytime, which is behind the Krusty Krab.
- The video game Creature from the Krusty Krab is very similar to this episode. The game's third act, in which SpongeBob and Patrick battle a giant Plankton, is directly based on Plankton's dream in this episode.
- In this episode, it is revealed on SpongeBob's and Mr. Krabs' driver's licenses when they were born.
- SpongeBob's driver's license:
- Expires: 12-14-03
- Address: 124 Conch St. Bikini Bottom
- Class: S
- Sex: M
- Hair: Yellow
- Eyes: Blue
- HT: 0-04
- WT: 1oz
- DOB: 07-14-86
- Mr. Krabs' driver's license:
- Expires: 11-30-02
- Address: 3541 Anchor Way Bikini Bottom
- Class: S
- Sex: M
- Hair N/A
- Eyes: Green
- HT: 0-07
- WT: 5
- DOB: 11-30-42
- SpongeBob's driver's license:
- According to a picture of a workprint of the episode posted by storyboard artist Adam Paloian on his Twitter account, SpongeBob's license was originally going to look a bit different, with a different picture of SpongeBob and a different signature, signed "S. Squarepants" instead of "SpongeBob SquarePants."
- This is the first episode SpongeBob is seen with a driver's license.
- Plankton's dream is very similar to what happened at the end of a much later episode, "Wishing You Well." He grows big and starts destroying the town, although in that episode he doesn't have lasers.
- This episode's opening is similar to its sister episode's opening, "Suds," as both episodes start with SpongeBob having a dream.
- There is a PowerTouch book based on this episode.
- Gary and Pearl were annoyed at SpongeBob, but SpongeBob didn't do anything in their dreams that caused trouble in any way.
- In this episode, Plankton wakes up at an office desk. The desk reappears in "Truth or Square" and Creature from the Krusty Krab. According to the background artwork, the computer on the desk is "desktop" Karen.
- SpongeBob tells Gary, "Curiosity salted the snail," a reference to the classic line, "Curiosity killed the cat," as sea snails are portrayed as the cats of the sea.
- Moby Dollar is a parody of Moby Dick.
- The name that Squidward has in his dream, Wolfgang Amadeus Tentacles, is a parody of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Coincidentally, the Andante from his Piano Concerto No. 21 is playing in the background while SpongeBob is in Gary's dream.
- Sandy crashing into a truck of clam manure is a reference to the running gag from the Back to the Future movies where Biff Tannen crashes into a truck of manure.
- In one scene, when Gary and SpongeBob are walking along the library, a book is shown close up. On the cover, the title reads Of Snails and Men, a parody of John Steinbeck's novel Of Mice and Men.
- In addition, Gary references and quotes Emily Dickinson, one of history's most famous poets.
- When SpongeBob is outside Squidward's house, it shows the window open, but there is another window frame on the wall.
- Closed-captions error: When Sandy says "Not a parakeet, para-" then falls into a truck of clam manure, she says "medic" as in "paramedic," but the caption reads "made it."
- When SpongeBob comes to Pearl's dream, he enters at the left part of the house, but when he comes out, he exits from the middle of the house.
- When everyone is standing around SpongeBob's bed at the end of the episode, at first Pearl's night cap is missing. In the next shot, it is there. The same applies to her hair.
- When SpongeBob turns into a skyscraper, his eyes are more pale than normal.
- SpongeBob entering people's dreams, but unknowingly ruins them.