- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Snail on the Shell Spiffy magazine cover (debut)
- Commercial voice
- Scooter (cameo)
- Snail in Angry Jack's commercial (debut)
- Angry Jack (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
In the middle of the night, SpongeBob is having a nightmare while chattering his teeth. After SpongeBob wakes up from the nightmare, he hears a noise down in his kitchen. SpongeBob is frightened about the noise. He tries to call for help, and realizes that his telephone line is cut, and later puts on his army helmet and grabs his tennis racket. His knees are shaking as he runs to open up the door, and slides down to the library. SpongeBob later trips on his toy truck, and falls down the steps. He runs into his kitchen and finds his novelty teeth chattering. He finds his fancy boot hopping around and smacks the boot with his tennis racket which leads him to smack his face. SpongeBob drops his tennis racket and karate-chops the boot, unaware that Gary is hiding in his fancy boot. Gary comes crashing out of the boot, and spins around, while a bucket and soap come down on Gary. When SpongeBob takes the bucket off of Gary, he finds that Gary has soap in his mouth, and manages to take it out now hearing Gary's gasps. SpongeBob thinks for a minute that Gary is not hurt, and then touches Gary's shell, as it breaks.
SpongeBob apologizes to Gary. Gary meows, smells his own stink, feels pain, and begins to cry. SpongeBob grabs Gary and tries to hug him, but Gary refuses and goes up to the ceiling in more pain. Later, SpongeBob tries to find out how to fix Gary's shell, first by taping it back together although it breaks once again.
In the bedroom where SpongeBob goes through his trunk to find solutions for Gary, he first finds his Hawaiian shirt but realizes it does not work, he then finds his Christmas Santa hat but realizes that it is too last season, and later finds his gorilla mask that he needs for Halloween. SpongeBob first finds his copy of his pants, and tries them on Gary but they get wet and drop. Next, SpongeBob finds his space helmet by trying it on his head, and then Gary but realizes it does not look right. SpongeBob later finds his race car helmet, and puts it on Gary now realizing that Gary rocks. Gary throws it off and shows him a Shell Spiffy magazine which is a magazine full of snail shells. Gary meows at SpongeBob to take a look at page 72 which features his old shell with many new features, and the cost is 9,595.95 Dollars. SpongeBob wonders where he can get a high quality shell without spending a fortune. Gary knows where to get a shell very cheap, and shows SpongeBob a commercial which now features Scooter cleaning up his snail's broken shell, which is for Angry Jack's Shell Emporium, where the prices are always very cheap. Angry Jack introduces himself through the television, and advertises a commercial full of shells which include a refurbished plastic shell, and gets angry with the numbers in his face, along with the other shells.
Angry Jack starts talking about selling for real. When SpongeBob and Gary get to the Shell Emporium, they interrupt Angry Jack in the commercial. SpongeBob apologizes to Angry Jack thinking that he is going to get angry. Angry Jack reveals that he just does it for the commercial to make them loud and better. Jack then finds a shell that looks exactly like Gary's old one, and tries it on Gary which makes him very happy. SpongeBob thinks it is perfect, and wants to buy it for Gary because it looks like his old one. The shell then slides off of Gary and breaks which makes him depressed once again. Jack then decides to try a different shell on Gary. SpongeBob wants to take it, and decides to make sure that it is put down by pushing down on it harder. He manages to break it, and makes Gary mad at him again. He manages to grab another shell but accidentally breaks it over Jack's face. SpongeBob manages to grab another shell off of the shelf but trips over his shoe laces, causing it to break. Jack hands over Gary to SpongeBob in order to take care of the shells, and tries on the reflective model on Gary. The reflection blinds both SpongeBob and Gary. After being almost blind, SpongeBob accidentally starts to break all of the shells in the store. Jack gives SpongeBob one more shell which is proven indestructible. SpongeBob makes sure that his hand and shoes are perfect, and wraps them up in bubble wrap and tape but the shell manages to slip through the bubble wrap, and breaks.
SpongeBob mentions about reducing inventory which makes Jack angry for real, and demands immediate payment. SpongeBob hands Jack some quarters, and Jack demands one arm and legs, also a heart and one eyeball, and his pants.
Later, SpongeBob is walking while carrying Gary wishing that his shell would grow back, and then finds a square cardboard box in front of a dumpster, he draws on it, and it becomes Gary's replacement shell. Unfortunately, Gary is more depressed and he and SpongeBob both break down in tears. Mr. Krabs comes out from the dumpster and SpongeBob immediately has an idea. SpongeBob wants Mr. Krabs to help him find a new shell for Gary. Mr. Krabs manages to shake SpongeBob upside down to find some money to help Gary get a new shell. Mr. Krabs starts to walk away as SpongeBob manages to make a deal to work for free for the rest of the year. Mr. Krabs decides that he wants to cut SpongeBob's health insurance and SpongeBob makes the deal.
That night at SpongeBob's house, he has another nightmare while his teeth are chattering once again. He turns on his flashlight and sees Mr. Krabs' shell on Gary. However, he sees Mr. Krabs coming in through the window very cold, and wants to borrow a blanket. After giving Mr. Krabs a blanket, SpongeBob manages to smart off his mouth to Gary about the shell. Then, Gary once again annoyed, locks SpongeBob outside and turns off the light in the house.
- SpongeBob breaking shells.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Death Clock C - Dick de Benedictis [SpongeBob's teeth chattering]
‣ Apprehensive 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob hearing noises from the kitchen]
• Steel Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Aha! Wind-up novelty teeth!"]
‣ The Creature (b) - Gregor F. Narholz ["What the heck is going on with my fancy boot?"]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz ["You're a dirty fighter."]
• Steel Licks 25 - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary covered in soap]
‣ Drama Link (e) - Hubert Clifford [Gary's shell breaks]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary crying]
• Slide Whistle Stooges 2 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob looking for a replacement shell]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Musique De L'Infini - Jean-Jacques Perrey ["Greetings, earthlings."]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [Shell Spiffy magazine]
‣ Chum Bucket Rhumba - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [page 72]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [$9595.95]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Commercial? What commercial?"]
‣ Nobody Knows The Trouble Ive Seen - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Uh-oh, now look what you've done!"]
‣ Barmy Hoedown! - Dominic Glynn, Martin Smith [Angry Jack's Shell Emporium]
‣ Vacation A - Mac Prindy, Kapono Beamer [trying on different shells]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob hits the shelves]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob breaks every shell in the store]
‣ Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [indestructible shell]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Stephen Walter [bubble wrap]
‣ Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob destroys the last shell]
‣ Barmy Hoedown! - Dominic Glynn, Martin Smith ["I'm really angry!"]
‣ Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob pays]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
• Steel Licks 7 - Jeremy Wakefield [cardboard box]
‣ Drowsy Reef - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Gary crying]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob notices Mr. Krabs' shell]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob offers to work for free]
‣ Death Clock C - Dick de Benedictis [SpongeBob's teeth chattering once again]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [window opens]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs asks for a blanket]
- This episode is available on the Triton's Revenge, Season 6 Volume 2, Big Hits: Volume 1, Triple Pack 2, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Kids Double Pack: Volume 5, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 10, Snail's Meow, Complete Sixth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- The part of the clip where SpongeBob breaks the shells on the shelf was sped up in promos for this episode.
- After SpongeBob breaks all of the shells in the store, one of them falls from the ceiling that looks like Gary's shell and another shell that looks like Gary's is in the broken shell pile.
- This was the first episode to premiere during Nickelodeon's "Deep Sea Danger Zone" marathon.
- This episode marks the second time Mr. Krabs is seen without his shell. The first is in "Shell of a Man."
- This episode marks the fourth time Gary's shell breaks. The first is in "Gary Takes a Bath," the second is in "Have You Seen This Snail," and the third is in "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?"
- This episode takes place during the spring, since SpongeBob deems the Santa "shell" "too last season."
- Irony: If SpongeBob didn’t like the "transparent shell," he could've just painted it.
- In the Dutch dub the title for this episode is "oost west thuis best," which translates to "There is No Place Like Home."
- The Latvian title for this episode is "Sasista čaulā," which translates to "Battered Shell."
- The title comes from the term "shell shock."
- The line with Angry Jack saying, "I'll match or beat anyone's advertised rage or your shell is absolutely free!" may be a reference to what Larry Miller says at the end of all the Sit 'N Sleep T.V. commercials.
- In the opening credits, Dee Snider's name is misspelled "Dee Snyder." Although, the name is spelled correctly in the closing credits.
- When SpongeBob puts on the space helmet, his arms go through it.
- In some scenes, Gary's purple slime disappears.
- When Gary tries on SpongeBob's pants, they get soaked in slime, but in the next scene, they disappear.
- The first few times that SpongeBob breaks shells at the emporium, the shards suddenly disappear.
- When Angry Jack presents SpongeBob the last shell available, he claims that it is "certified indestructible," but when SpongeBob gets the shell, it breaks from simply falling from a foot above the floor.
- When Mr. Krabs says, "Oh. I see," one of his red arms is not colored in.