- SpongeBob SquarePants
- The Sharks (debut)
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 8
- Fruit vendor
- Bouncer (debut)
- The Pods (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Black-haired octopus (debut)
- Green octopus (debut)
- Blue octopus (debut)
- Cop female
- Incidental 118
- Jellyfish (mentioned)
- Reg (cameo)
- The Sharks fans
- Sailor fish (cameo)
- Orange sailor
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Internal Affairs (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Patrick Star (cameo)
In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob is cleaning up at the Krusty Krab, when a gang of sharks, called the Sharks, see SpongeBob dancing to music while cleaning up. When SpongeBob walks out, the Sharks introduce themselves as Ronnie, Donnie, Lonnie, and Sharkface. They soon ask SpongeBob to join the Sharks and with SpongeBob excitedly saying yes.
Then, the Sharks and SpongeBob drive around town. When a group of girls sees them, they scream, and faint. After, a fruit vendor dumps all of his fruit on the Sharks' car. The Sharks then drive to a club called the Howlin Marlin. The Howlin Marlin Bouncer tells them they are not allowed in the club. The Sharks' rival, the Pods are introduced. With this, the two groups snarl at each other, until the police walk up and break up the argument.
SpongeBob admits that he does not want to be a part of the group anymore, because he fears that he will have to fight at the face-off, so he goes home.
At his house, he finds a note left by the other Sharks, saying that they have abducted SpongeBob's pet, Gary. SpongeBob, scared that he may never see Gary again trains for the face-off. He arrives at the face-off just before it starts, but SpongeBob soon discovers that Squidward is a part of the Pods. SpongeBob explains that he does not want to fight Squidward and joined the Sharks by mistake. Squidward tells SpongeBob that the two groups are in a dance-off and that there will be no fighting involved. SpongeBob, confused, asks about the screaming girls. The Sharks say that the girls were fans. Then, he asks about the fruit vendor. The Sharks explain that the fruit vendor thinks they don't eat enough fruit. Afterwards, SpongeBob asks about the Howling Marlin Bouncer. The Sharks then talk about Jonnie, who SpongeBob replaced. It is revealed that at the Howlin Marlin, Jonnie did a dance move, which resulted in the wrecking of the Howlin Marlin floor with his teeth. They also mention that Gary is their DJ and that he was not abducted, but gave a ride to the dance-off.
The dance-off begins with the Sharks and Pods doing a dance sequence. Shortly after, the police arrive at the scene — only to join the dance. They dance until the Internal Affairs show up, who also attend the dance. Then, Mr. Krabs announces the Sharks as the winners. The Sharks celebrate and Patrick announces that they saved the rec center, which confuses Squidward. SpongeBob announces that everyone is a winner. The episode ends with the Sharks and Pods jumping up and Squidward complaining about not winning anything.
- The Sharks crying over Jonnie.
He also introduced the character design of the Pods.
The original designs for the Sharks.
Some of the storyboards in this episode.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Title card.]
• Kung Fu Rock - Shellie O'Brien, Eban Schletter [Plays on jukebox.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob laughs.]
‣ Pompadour Hop (b) - Steve Goomas [Sharks introduce themselves.]
‣ Forever and a Day (a) - Raun Burnham, Jerry Burnham ["Jonnie, no!"]
‣ Hang Loose - Roger Roger [Sharkface asks SpongeBob to join.]
‣ Big Julie - Kenny Graham [Sharkface tells SpongeBob not to worry.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sucks his thumb.]
‣ Tautwalk - Laurie Johnson [At Howlin' Marlin.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["There are plenty of clubs in the sea."]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Pods introduced/"Hold it there laddies, break this nonsense up right now."]
‣ The Unknown - Ralph Dollimore ["We got a showdown to get ready for."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes home.]
‣ Spooky - Kenny Graham ["I can't fight in a showdown!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm?"]
‣ Spooky - Kenny Graham [Ransom note.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["Gary! No!"]
‣ Johnny Too Bad 1 - Steve Byrd ["I have to get ready to fight."]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [At the playground.]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney ["Squidward?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob does not want to fight Squidward.]
‣ ? ["We are a troupe."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["A troupe?"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob drops spatulas.]
‣ Pompadour Hop (b) - Steve Goomas [Fans screaming.]
‣ Blue Danube - Fiachra Trench, Johann Strauss Sr [Jonnie dancing.]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [Jonnie falls down while dancing.]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko [Floor scratched up.]
‣ Forever and a Day (a) - Raun Burnham, Jerry Burnham ["Jonnie, no!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But you sharks, kidnapped Gary."]
• Sharks Dance - Eban Schletter [Dance showdown.]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [Cops arrive.]
• Cops Dance - Eban Schletter [Cops dance.]
• I.A. Dance - Eban Schletter [I.A. dance.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Ooh!"]
• Kung Fu Rock - Shellie O'Brien, Eban Schletter [SpongeBob dances.]
‣ Sponge Twist - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 16, SeaSide Story, Complete Ninth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This was the third episode to air during the May 2016 premiere week.
- When the episode originally aired, it was paired with "Sanctuary!" The next day, it was paired with "What's Eating Patrick?"
- There is a picture of the hydro-dynamic spatula from the episode "Help Wanted" on SpongeBob's wall.
- The ransom note is written the same way the letters to SpongeBob are written in the episode "BlackJack."
- Similarly, on the ransom note, the word "The" is written in the same style as SpongeBob's essay in "Procrastination."
- Pods is a reference to the term "cephalopod," which, in modern taxonomy, is the class in which octopuses are classified into.
- SpongeBob's wig style in this episode looks similar to the Drifter's.
- In this episode, Reg's tattoo of a heart is blue instead of the usual red.
- The title card is similar to those of "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" and "Krusty Krushers."
- The "IM-RDY" license plate from the episode "No Free Rides" reappears in SpongeBob's garage in this episode when he is getting ready to fight.
- Although, the license plate colors are different in both appearances.
- The license plate would later appear in "Pineapple RV."
- This episode marks the first usage of Bubble Poppin' Boys as a title card track since "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" coincidentally, this episode comes 100 episodes after that one.
- This episode marks the fifth title in comparison of two competitors. The first is "Krabs vs. Plankton," the second is "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget," the third is "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob," and the fourth is "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One."
- This episode marks the fifth time everyone cheers except for Squidward. The first is "Texas," the second is "Squid Wood," the third is "Slimy Dancing," and the fourth is "Sponge-Cano!"
- The dance of the Pods is similar to Squidward's dance in "Culture Shock."
- In the Croatian dub, this episode's title is "Plesni dvoboj," which means "Dance Battle."
- This reveals that the plot is not about a gangs' fight, but about a dance battle.
- In the French dub, the jukebox plays the instrumental version of "Kung Fu Rock."
- The title of this episode is an apparent reference to the two rival greaser gangs from the Broadway musical and 1961 movie West Side Story: the Sharks and the Jets.
- The title of this episode is also similar to the name of the game Sharks vs. Minnows.
- The Sharks are voiced by the original cast of Happy Days (and its spin-off, Laverne & Shirley), which is parodied at the end of the episode.
- SpongeBob's line "Eyyy new friends!" references Fonzie's catchphrase from Happy Days.
- Sharkface's name is a spoof of the 1983 crime-drama film Scarface.
- Jonnie is a spoof on Johnny from the book The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton.
- In the French dub, the note on the Krusty Krab is blank.
- When Ronnie tells SpongeBob not to be such a baby, his jacket disappears, but in the next scene, it reappears.
- When SpongeBob cut things with his spatula, his TV gets destroyed, but the shadow behind the TV is still normal.
- In the still shot of Squidward and his troupe, his pants disappear, but when he is next shown, they reappear.
- When Mr. Krabs declares the Sharks as the winners of the dance-off, his eye stalks are white instead of pale green.