— SpongeBob telling Squidward about the sea bear, "The Camping Episode"
Sea bears are a large piranha-like fish species with grizzly/Eurasian brown bear heads who are known for attacking. They come in brown, green, and a lighter green. They first appear in "The Camping Episode."
- 1 Description
- 2 Role in series
- 3 Trivia
- 4 References
Ways to attract a sea bear
The following are ways that attract the sea bear:
- Playing the clarinet badly as Squidward did
- Waving a flashlight back and forth really fast (Patrick says flashlights are their natural prey)
- Stomping around (SpongeBob says they take it as a challenge)
- Eating cubed cheese; sliced is safe
- Wearing a sombrero in a goofy fashion (such as upside down or tilted)
- Wearing clown shoes
- Wearing a hoop skirt
- Screeching like a chimpanzee (from how SpongeBob and Patrick say "never, ever, ever," this is a very big attractor)
- Running (makes them attack again)
- Limping (worse than running)
- Crawling (even worse than limping)
- Possibly infuriating them too much (SpongeBob tells Squidward that Sea Bears dislike him)
Though it is credited that Dee Bradley Baker voiced the sea bear, additional sounds were from archival recordings from Thurl Ravenscroft (original voice of Tony the Tiger), James MacDonald (voice of Mickey Mouse from 1947 to 1977), Clarence Nash (original voice of Donald Duck), and Candy Candido (miscellaneous voices in Disney movies and attractions). The sounds of the sea bears' attacks attracts sea rhinoceros.
Role in series
A sea bear is the main villain of this episode.
Squidward initially did not believe in the sea bear's existence, before he was attacked by one in this episode. However, SpongeBob and Patrick are fervent believers, having read about them in The Bikini Bottom Inquirer and Fake Science Monthly, which are both tabloid magazines. Squidward is mauled six times until he finally jumps into the dirt circle with the duo.
The sea bear appears again at the end, but seeing Squidward is now protected makes the sea bear leave the area, thus saving Squidward. The sound of a sea bear attack also attracts sea rhinoceros.
A sea bear chases SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward.
Several other sea bears make a cameo appearance in the Krusty Krab at the beginning, where SpongeBob feeds them jellyfish jelly and tickles their stomachs.
A sea bear can be seen in one of Squidward's art pieces that is ready to be sold.
They make a cameo appearance, chasing SpongeBob and the clams away.
Mentioned as "Bear-Fish" in this instance.
A sea bear can be seen in one of Squidward's paintings in Squidward's house.
Patrick wonders where the RV is so he points to some growling sea bears. Squidward wants to protect SpongeBob and Patrick from them, thinking that they were attacking them. However, the sea bears were only playing tummy-tickle, which they like to do, although they don't like it when someone karate-chops their knee-highs, which Squidward just did, so sea bears attacked him.
SpongeBob starts to read Sandy's nieces a book titled Goldyfish and the Three Sea Bears, although they refuse before he can begin the first chapter.
They appear to attack the animals of the Bubble Zoo with their fellow zoo animals.
- "Sea bear" is also another term for "polar bear" or "pinniped."