- French Narrator
- Pirate skeleton (debut)
- Spider (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeBob ScaredyPants (character) (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Mrs. Puff
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Pet goldfish in a Bowl (debut)
- Pearl Krabs
- Flying Dutchman (physical debut)
- Unnamed child (debut)
- Unnamed parents (debut)
- Unnamed adult (debut)
- Barnacles (mentioned)
SynopsisIt is Halloween in Bikini Bottom, and SpongeBob is cleaning the dishes in the Krusty Krab at the end of the workday. He becomes frightened by the creepy door closing and a message reading "BOO" on the order slips.
After he finishes, he begins to run away, but Mr. Krabs stops him and asks him if he wants to hear his "annual scary story," and he then does. He tells the story of "The Flying Dutchman," a ghost who steals souls on Halloween. Squidward, dressed up like the Flying Dutchman, appears behind SpongeBob, saying that he will steal his soul, terrifying him. SpongeBob, who has a reputation for being easily scared, is then nicknamed "SpongeBob ScaredyPants," rushes home, and is scared by everything he sees on the way.
After being accidentally scared by Patrick (wearing Groucho glasses), he asks him for help. They make a "Flying Dutchman" costume, but it fails to scare anyone. SpongeBob realizes that a real ghost has a round head and that he has a square one. Patrick shaves SpongeBob's head, making it round. Believing themselves to be scary, SpongeBob and Patrick go around town attempting to scare people, and believe themselves to be successful in doing so, although their "victims" are simply confused by their antics.
They then go to the roof of the Krusty Krab where a Halloween party is taking place, turn off all the lights, and lower SpongeBob with a rope, with Patrick providing the voice of the "Dutchman," which initially terrifies everyone. However, when a jellyfish stings Patrick, whom the rope is tied to, he starts running around in pain, causing SpongeBob to fly around uncontrollably, exposing his true identity.Everybody starts laughing at SpongeBob, but soon the real Flying Dutchman appears. He explains to them how offended he is by people dressing up as him for Halloween, and that SpongeBob's costume is the worst of all. Before he is about to steal the souls of everyone present, the Flying Dutchman first takes off SpongeBob's costume, which revealed that his brain is exposed as a result of Patrick's shaving and the Dutchman flees in terror. Subsequently, everyone runs away from the Krusty Krab screaming, leaving SpongeBob satisfied to finally have succeeded in scaring people. Patrick comments on SpongeBob's "pink hat," and SpongeBob explains that it is not a hat, it's his brain, and Patrick screams and runs away. SpongeBob reassures "Don't worry, it grows back!" and the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Ghost Child (a) - Dave Hewson [SpongeBob nervously doing dishes]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["BOO" written on order slips]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob's about to leave]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin [Krabs starts telling the scary story/Krabs continues telling the scary story]
‣ Shock Statement (a) - Peter Lea-Cox [SpongeBob screams]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Nothing like a good ghost story, eh, me boy?"]
‣ Shock Statement (a) - Peter Lea-Cox [SpongeBob screams again]
‣ The Flying Dutchman - The Ghastly Ones [Little kid scares SpongeBob]
‣ The Nightmare Begins (a) - John Devereaux [Mrs. Puff scares SpongeBob]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob at home]
‣ Shock Statement (a) - Peter Lea-Cox [SpongeBob screams again/"Hi, SpongeBob."]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [SpongeBob dressed as a ghost]
‣ Shock Statement (a) - Peter Lea-Cox ["Rar! Rar!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["I don't get it, Patrick."]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob realizes he needs a round head]
‣ The Twin Sisters - Chelmsford Folk Band [Patrick shaving SpongeBob's head]
‣ Bach's Toccata - Johann Sebastian Bach, Peter Lea-Cox ["Let's go scare somebody."]
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders ["Ooh... I'm the Flying Dutchman!"]
‣ Doctor Phibes - Roger Wootton ["The Flying Dutchman is gonna show up uninvited."]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap [kids walk by]
‣ ? - The Ghastly Ones [The party]
‣ Horror Link (a) - Len Rawle [SpongeBob lowered from ceiling]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick runs around screaming]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson [Flying Dutchman appears]
‣ In the Crypt - Dave Hewson ["I'm going to steal your soul."]
‣ Pepito from Tampico A - Ronald Sekura, Otto Sieben [Dutchman tells SpongeBob he's not scary]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [Dutchman laughs]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Halloween, Complete 1st Season, Complete First Season, First 100 Episodes, and Karate Choppers DVDs.
- As of June 10, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 552 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 203 votes.
- "Scaredy Pants" was ranked #19 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- In UK and syndication airings of this episode, the scene depicting Patrick cutting chunks of SpongeBob's head is cut, although it was left in on the UK DVD releases of the episode and versions on demand.
- This is the first Halloween special of the series. The second is "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom."
- This is the first episode to be based on a holiday.
- This is the first episode to take place entirely at night.
- This episode premiered in Canada on October 30, 2000.
- This episode was the first to use the crowd scream effect which the show would later use whenever the Bikini Bottomites went into a panic in episodes like "Wormy" and "Once Bitten."
- This episode and "I Was a Teenage Gary" were the first episodes in 1999 to not air on a Saturday. Instead, they aired on a Thursday.
- In some reruns, this episode has been paired with the season 2 episode "Graveyard Shift" and the season 7 episode "The Curse of Bikini Bottom."
- The Ghastly Ones sang a Halloween remix of the SpongeBob SquarePants theme song, which occasionally is broadcast with the episode and is also featured on the Halloween DVD. It can be heard here: .
- When Patrick gives SpongeBob the shoes, he calls SpongeBob "Hans," referencing the live-action hand seen multiple times in the series.
- Each character has a Halloween costume:
- Sandy is a pet goldfish in a bowl.
- Squidward is the Flying Dutchman.
- Pearl is the Bride of Frankenstein or a lady vampire.
- Patrick is Groucho Marx.
- Mrs. Puff is a witch.
- SpongeBob is the Ghost of the Flying Dutchman.
- This is the Flying Dutchman's first physical appearance. He previously appeared in a magazine in "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost."
- This is the only time the Flying Dutchman's pigtails are not straight.
- This was Peter Burns' last episode as a writer.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode title is "SpužvaBob Strašljivi" or "SpongeBob ScaredyPants."
- This episode and "I Was a Teenage Gary" only tend to air in reruns in the United States on or around Halloween, making this episode extremely rare to find on TV, since they both aired during the Halloween season, and are Halloween-themed episodes.
- The Flying Dutchman is named after the ship of the same name. He also looks like Blackbeard.
- The episode's title is a wordplay on the phrase "scaredy cat."
- On this episode, after the theme song when Painty laughs, the captions capitalize only the A's while keeping all other letters lowercase: "(lAughs heArtily)."
- When SpongeBob carves a second hole in the jack-o-lantern, the second hole does not appear when SpongeBob tells Gary, "Well, I'm sick of it."
- When the fish at the party still believe SpongeBob was the Ghost of the Flying Dutchman, SpongeBob has arms with claws. In every other scene, his hands are normal.
- The shark with a pumpkin mask and green costume has a blue dorsal fin, but when SpongeBob comes through the hatch on the roof of the Krusty Krab and he runs away, his fin is green. In all other shots of him, his fin is blue.
- In the scene at the Krusty Krab, when the camera points to Mr. Krabs bobbing for apples, the water in the tub flashes.
- Also, in the next scene where Mr. Krabs is choking, the tub looks completely different and is empty.
- Squidward is wearing his costume when he first appears in the episode, but in the next shot, he is in his original clothes.
- In the close-up of SpongeBob after he is lowered from the ceiling, the rope is not visible behind him.
- When SpongeBob is hanging from the ceiling, he is wearing the wooden shoes that Patrick made for him, but when SpongeBob walks out of the Krusty Krab, he is wearing his normal shoes.
- Patrick never shaved off SpongeBob's nose, but it is not shown making an extrusion in the sheet.
- People calling SpongeBob "Scaredy Pants."
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|