Sandy's air helmet is a helmet worn by Sandy Cheeks that allows her to breathe underwater. However, she does not wear it in her treedome, as it is already an air-filled/water-free location of Bikini Bottom. It first appears in the episode "Tea at the Treedome."
It is an air helmet with a deep pink and golden yellow flower on the upper-left side.
Role in series
Sandy is required to wear this air helmet when outside of her treedome to make it so that she won't die from a lack of oxygen, as seen in "Pressure," where her lungs deflate after being challenged by the sea creatures to breathe without her helmet, and she quickly puts a pickle jar over her head to recover.
However, when in her treedome, she removes the helmet, as well as her astronaut suit and boots, since her house is an air-polluted area of the ocean that does not require such equipment.
- The first episode where Sandy is seen without her air helmet in the ocean is "Pressure."
- "Survival of the Idiots," "The Smoking Peanut," "Patrick SmartPants," "Overbooked," "Yours, Mine and Mine," "You Don't Know Sponge," "Doodle Dimension," "The String," "Oral Report," "Christmas Who?," "Sandy's Nutty Nieces," Hide and Then What Happens? "Lost in Bikini Bottom," and "The Krabby Kronicle" are the only episodes where Sandy is not seen wearing her air helmet in any scenes whatsoever.
- There are similar devices worn by sea creatures to enter Sandy's treedome called "water helmets."
- In "Mimic Madness," SpongeBob is inexplicably able to imitate Sandy while wearing her air helmet without dehydrating from a lack of water.
- In the episode "Single Cell Anniversary," Plankton's high-pitched singing voice shatters Sandy's air helmet while she is underwater, and then runs to her treedome for air.