- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Esmerelda AKA Señor Poopus (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 48
- Elderly shark
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 49A
- Fred (blue)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 20
- Pet control fish (debut)
- Bob Barnacle (debut)
- Other snail rescues (some of these may be the same characters)
- Baby snails (debut)
- Snail mom (debut)
- Dani (snail) (debut)
- Walter (debut)
- Henry the Snail (debut)
- Pam (debut)
- Vince (debut)
- Electric Ronnie (debut)
- Mr. Buster (debut)
- Mary the Snail (debut)
- Carmela (debut)
- Jack (debut)
- Paul the Snail (debut)
- Brenda (debut)
- Sharel (debut)
- Steve the Snail (debut)
- The Snail that Keeps Barfing on the Floor (debut)
- Unnamed snail (debut)
- Obulax (debut)
- Mavis (debut)
- Mavis Jr. (debut)
- Diane (debut)
- Sarah (debut)
- Boogala Shrimp the Snail (debut)
- Viva (debut)
- Tom the Snail (debut)
- Ted (debut)
- Ava (debut)
- Old Ironsides (debut)
- Rhonda (debut)
- Papa Pup (debut)
- The Snail Who Shall Not Be Named (debut)
- Sean (debut)
- Andy (debut)
- Mrs. Buster (debut)
- Thea (debut)
- 220 other snails
The episode starts with Gary finding a stray snail behind a rock while being walked by SpongeBob. They bring her back home to take care of, and name her Señor Poopus.
Patrick arrives and tells SpongeBob that he found some stray baby snails, so he takes care of them as well. Later, the mom of the baby snails finds her children. Patrick comes with another fish who has a stray snail, and eventually many snails are sent to SpongeBob for nurturing.
He ends up having to stay home from work so he can take care of the snails, so none of the customers at the Krusty Krab can get their food. Mr. Krabs goes to SpongeBob's house to find out what's going on, but gets shocked when he sees what has happened to him.
Squidward gets allergies because of SpongeBob's snails, and learns that he has many of them. Meanwhile, Patrick is sad that he's only hanging out with his snails, so he becomes a snail himself, only to end up regretting this decision when SpongeBob takes him.
Squidward eventually calls the Bob Barnacle Snail Center to settle the snail issue as well as end his allergies. He convinces SpongeBob to give up his snails to him so he can take care of them. He goes back to normal and is back to having just Gary as his snail.
In the scene where SpongeBob and Patrick pass under the bridge, in the storyboard version, there is a piece of coral, but in the final version, it is replaced with a piece of kelp on a rock. Also, the bridge is brick in the storyboard, but rock in the final version.
After when SpongeBob says, "I'm gonna take 'em [the snails] home and feed them." In the storyboard version, there is a piece of kelp next to Patrick, but in the final version, it is not there.
In the scene where SpongeBob takes care of the baby snails in his kitchen, in the storyboard version, on the The Big Book of Snail Care's cover, there is a snail that is looking towards SpongeBob, but in the final version, it is away from him. The spine and back of the storyboard version have snail images, but the final does not.
Also, the final version of the Powdered Snail Formula has an image of a snail on the box, but in the storyboard version, there is no snail. Patrick is also closer to SpongeBob in the final version than in the storyboard version.
In the storyboard version, the final setting of the electric blanket shows the front side of four snails, but the final version shows a silhouette of the side of one snail. The basket in the storyboard version has a different pattern than in the final version. The snail suckle is upwards in the storyboard, but downwards in the final.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Opening.]
‣ ? [SpongeBob pets stray snail]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob takes the snail home]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary playing with stray snail]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Baby snails]
• Aloha Bikini Bottom - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob feeding baby snails]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick leaves]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [Mother snail at door]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["It's a pretty good thing I thought of, huh?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Thanks, snail guy!"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [People giving SpongeBob more snails]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [At the Krusty Krab]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [SpongeBob answers the door]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, hey, Mr. Krabs"]
‣ Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob says that he is too busy to come to work]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs' eyes fall off]
• Solo Steel and Vibes 1 - Jeremy Wakefield, Nicolas Carr [Squidward comes home]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob feeding snails outside his house]
‣ Death Clock (e) - Dick De Benedictis ["SpongeBob, is that you?"]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin ["Don't worry, I'm taking very good care of all my snails."]
‣ Wailing Theremin 2 - Harry Lubin ["Don't worry, I'm taking very good care of all my snails."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [First time Squidward growls/Second time Squidward growls/Third time Squidward growls/Fourth time Squidward growls.]
‣ Unknown Track 57 - "But I've found my life's work."
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's it!"]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [At the Krusty Krab]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward sneezes on customer's food]
‣ Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Squidward, have you lost your mind?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield [Customer laughs]
‣ Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Squidward leaves work]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick disguises himself as a snail]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran ["Oh, another little stray friend"/SpongeBob's house full of snails/Pet Control Fish talks to SpongeBob/Patrick tries to escape.]
‣ Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward on the phone]
‣ Victim 5 - Harry Lubin ["This has got to stop!"]
‣ Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [The phone rings]
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green [Fence surrounding SpongeBob's house]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece (a) - Gregor Narholz ["Sanctuary! Sanctuary!"]
‣ Victim 5 - Harry Lubin ["SpongeBob is behind that fence"]
• Aloha Lui Lui - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Bob Barnacle speaks to SpongeBob]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- The episode's alternative/former name is "One Snail Sponge."
- Dani Michaeli's real-life face makes an appearance as Dani the Snail's face.
- Dani the Snail was even named after Michaeli.
- "The Next Morning" time card's background is similar to the background of the title card for "Home Sweet Rubble."
- It is revealed that Squidward is allergic to snails, although there is only a reaction if there are many snails. He can stand a few, which is why he was never allergic to Gary.
- Gary's shell has a red outline in this episode.
- The episode title is mentioned twice when SpongeBob yells "Sanctuary! Sanctuary!"
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs is shown flirting with a male character who looks like a female. The first was "That's No Lady."
- This is the second time Mr. Krabs states that the Krusty Krab employees cannot sneeze on people's food. This first is "Suds."
- This marks the second episode where "House of Horror" plays four out of five parts of this version. The first was "Graveyard Shift."
- This is the second time SpongeBob owns a pet whom he initially thinks is male, but is later revealed to be female. The first is Mrs. Wormsley from "Pet or Pests."
- This is the second episode with the most debuts, the first being "Ripped Pants."
- SpongeBob counted a total of 258 snails.
- This is the second episode where Squidward is allergic to something. The first is "Restraining SpongeBob" when he is allergic to seaberry pie.
- This episode holds the record for the least-watched season 9 episode, receiving a total of only 1.28 million U.S. viewers.
- When SpongeBob is listing off some of the snails, one of them is The Snail Who Shall Not Be Named. This is a reference to Lord Voldemort, the main antagonist of the Harry Potter series, who is sometimes referred to as "He Who Must Not Be Named."
- Bob saying, "have your pets spayed or neutered" is a reference to his sign-off when he was host of The Price Is Right.
- Once Gary drags SpongeBob towards Señor Poopus' rock with his leash, in the next scene, Gary's leash is gone.
- When the snail mom enters SpongeBob's house, her slime trail appears, but it disappears after she enters.
- When SpongeBob feeds the four stray snails, they are in the living room, but when he tells them to eat, they are in the kitchen. In the next scene, they are in the living room again.