- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 114
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 6
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Karen Plankton
- Human crowd
- Incidental 48
- Purple fish
- Fred (normal; blue)
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 107
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 47
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 158
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 29
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 9
- French narrator
- Incidental 92
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode begins with Plankton getting kicked out of the Krusty Krab in another failed attempt to steal the formula. Plankton wonders how Mr. Krabs keeps on stopping his plans to steal his formula if crabs' brains are small, but Sandy tells him Mr. Krabs would have be as dumb as Patrick to give up the formula. Plankton gets the idea of obtaining Patrick's DNA to make Mr. Krabs dumb, so he goes to Patrick while he's sleeping to obtain it.
After he obtains the DNA, Plankton starts making Salsa Imbecilicus at the Chum Bucket. However, he accidentally gets some on him and becomes dumb as a result. The stench of the sauce goes into a cloud, causing it to rain droplets of the sauce all over Bikini Bottom. Meanwhile, Sandy comes out of her treedome, only to see that everyone has become as dumb as Patrick.
After noticing that everyone has lined up to go to the Chum Bucket, Sandy goes to Karen to ask what happened. After finding out, the two try to snap Plankton out of being dumb, but they fail. Eventually they get the idea to start a university to make everyone normal again. Sandy and Karen get everyone to come to the university and they teach them successfully.
One Semester Later, everyone has become smart again except for Plankton, who has become the bully at the school. On Graduation Day, everyone is getting their diplomas. However, Mr. Krabs is still in the Home Ec room, perfecting the Krabby Patty. Plankton attempts to steal the patty from Mr. Krabs, but SpongeBob saves Mr. Krabs by giving him his diploma, which allows him to know not to give the formula to Plankton. The episode ends with Mr. Krabs throwing Plankton away onto Karen, who rolls into the distance.
- Karen playing a laugh track after each humiliation.
- Patrick riding a skateboard upside down.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Peg Leg Waltz - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [Title card.]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert White [Krabs kicks Plankton out of the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Sandy talks to Plankton.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick rides a skateboard on the wrong side.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Plankton gets an idea.]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin [Plankton laughs diabolically.]
‣ Agitation [#29] - Phil Green [Plankton in Patrick's mouth.]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton making sauce.]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 7 - Phil Green ["Idiot sauce!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I think I prefer the boiling underpants."]
‣ Break In - Harry Lubin [Plankton mutes Karen.]
‣ Dark and Scary - Harry Lubin [Cloud absorbs idiot gas.]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#70] - Phil Green [Cloud rains idiot sauce on entire town.]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Sandy sees citizens acting like idiots.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick puts a balloon in his mouth.]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Krabs throwing money around.]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [Sandy sees a line at the Chum Bucket.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [A fish sucks Sandy's helmet.]
‣ Clowning Around - Barry Anthony [Karen explains to Sandy what happened.]
‣ Clowning Around Again - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Sandy and Karen trying to snap Plankton out of it.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Sandy gets an idea.]
‣ Skyline - Anthony Mawer [Karen and Sandy create Bikini Bottom University.]
‣ Lipstick and Charm - Wilfred Burns [Montage of Sandy and Karen educating everyone.]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Plankton writing graffiti.]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob stuffed in locker.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick as a janitor.]
‣ Legion of Honor [#22] - Harry Bluestone [Graduation day.]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Squidward playing clarinet.]
‣ Sneeky - Gregor Narholz [Krabs making a Krabby Patty.]
‣ Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr ["Yes! That's it!"]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green ["Something smells good!"]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["With this recipe, I could own the most popular fast food restaurant in Bikini Bottom!"]
‣ Pomp and Circumstance #1 (a) - John Fox [Graduates throw their caps into the air.]
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to give to Mr. Krabs his diploma.]
‣ Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs about to give Plankton the formula.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Krabs gets his diploma.]
‣ Peg Leg Waltz - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [Krabs says he graduated months ago.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (x) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs gets an A+ in acting.]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert White [Ending.]
- This episode is available on The Complete Ninth Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 16, Next 100 Episodes and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode was originally going to be called "Idiot Sauce," but the title was changed because it was deemed that it sounded "too mean."
- It may also have been because the Latin scientific term of “Salsa Imbecilicus” was more fitting, seeing as how Plankton created the sauce in a science lab.
- Despite this, there are two episodes that had "idiot" in title: "Survival of the Idiots" and "Idiot Box." Possibly, the change comes from the difference in times.
- Plankton mentions both the actual episode title and the original title.
- Other TV scheduling websites like TV Passport used the original title.
- Irony: Plankton could have just swabbed the saliva on the floor to get Patrick's DNA instead of going inside his mouth.
- A clip from this episode can be seen in Karen's memory bank in "Karen's Virus."
- This is the first episode to play The track "Seaweed Version 3" since " Funny Pants" in season 4.
- This is the fifth and final episode to air for the July 2016 premiere week. It is also the lowest-viewed episode in the event.
- According to Karen, Plankton has apparently boiled his underwear at least once sometime before this episode.
- Karen breaks the fourth wall by playing a laugh track after Plankton gets humiliated.
- This is the only season 9 episode where "Gator" plays.
- Plankton says that a crab's brain is smaller than the point of a pencil. Actually, it is about the size of a pea.
- The clarinet song Squidward is seen playing at the graduation is also the song he performs in "SquidBob TentaclePants" and "No Hat for Pat."
- This was the first episode where Sandy and Karen work together.
- This was the first appearance of the Bikini Bottom University.
- The scene of Plankton gathering Patrick's DNA has become a notorious meme due to it being surprisingly graphic.
- Irony: Despite being the one who created the idiot sauce, Plankton seems most affected by it as he's the only Bikini Bottomite who doesn't regain his intelligence.
- When Plankton is revealed on Graduation Day to still be stupid, he has clearly gained intelligence from before starting school as he's able to speak full sentences and supposedly bully people do what he wants. Otherwise, this is possibly an allegory to how most bullies are insecure and lack skill or intelligence themselves, therefore need to put others down to feel confident.
- This episode marks the first time "The Rake Hornpipe" is heard since "Plankton's Regular."
- This was the second episode where Plankton uses another character's DNA for one of his plans. The first is "Plankton's Good Eye." In that episode, Plankton uses SpongeBob's DNA, and in this episode, he uses Patrick's.
- This was the second episode where a "One-Way Chalkboard" can be seen at the end. The first is "New Student Starfish."
- There is a reference to "New Student Starfish" when Sandy observes Mr. Krabs and Plankton through a chalkboard, which is what Mrs. Puff did for SpongeBob and Patrick in the aforementioned episode.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode's name is "Umak za idiote" which translates to "Gravy for imbeciles."
- In the Russian dub, Plankton's scream after Patrick's tongue licks his butt wasn't dubbed.
- Also in this version, Karen's line when she asks Plankton if he is boiling underpants was changed to socks.
- This episode has a similar ending to "Face Freeze!," as things do not completely go back to normal by the end of the episode.
- The ending is also similar to its sister episode "Pineapple Invasion," since both end with Plankton walking into the sunset, though this time, Karen carries him this time. The sunset background from the aforementioned episode is reused.
- This is one of four episodes with a hard pronouncing title along with "Procrastination", "Prehibernation Week" and "Krusty Koncessionaires".
- This is the first episode to have Brian Morante as the storyboard artist. His work on the show was initially supposed to be freelance, but the crew liked his work so much that he was hired full-time.
- The fish riding a bike on the sand in a circle is reminiscent of Curly of the Three Stooges running around on the floor.
- When Plankton goes into Home Ec, his lips are out of sync for a moment.
- When Mr. Krabs perfects the Krabby Patty recipe, the lettuce is supposed to go on top of the patty, but Mr. Krabs says it is correct.
- When Karen carries Plankton away, he disappears and reappears for a few seconds.