"Séance Shméance" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from Season 9. In this episode, SpongeBob attempts to make contact with the holy Sandwich Spirits in order to uncover a long-lost rare sandwich recipe.
- Psychic (debut)
- Gale (name revealed)
- Soda ghost
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Old Man Jenkins
- Old Man Walker
- Abigail Marge
- Incidental 41
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Fred (blue)
- Norma Rechid
- Incidental 60
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Rusty Rickets (debut)
- Motorcycle ghost
- Charlie (Ghoul Crew) (completely green)
- Fat ghost
- Horned dragon ghost (debut)
- Four-eyed ghost (debut)
- Dragon ghost (debut)
- Bearded ghost (debut)
- Mud monster (ghost)
- Fish creature ghost (debut)
- Other ghosts
The episode starts off with SpongeBob and Squidward watching a show on television that includes a séance in it. When the séance is finished, Squidward is unimpressed of the plot, while SpongeBob is afraid of it. Soon, Old Man Jenkins enters the restaurant and orders an unusual sandwich called a "Rusty on Rye."
Squidward tells the customer to order something that is on the menu which causes Old Man Jenkins to get mad. SpongeBob tells Squidward that he'll handle it but soon realizes that he has no idea how to make a Rusty on Rye. SpongeBob asks Old Man Jenkins how to make it but the customer replies by telling him that it was on rye bread and that it was number nine on the menu. People in line for a Krabby Patty start to get impatient so Mr. Krabs asks Old Man Jenkins to leave. Squidward states that he is identified as an unsatisfied customer, which upsets SpongeBob. SpongeBob then runs into Mr. Krabs' office, crying, and asks him why the Krusty Krab does not sell the Rusty on Rye. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that the sandwich was on the menu of an old restaurant called Rusty's Rib Eye, made by the owner, Rusty Rickets, who died 20 years ago.
So, later that night, SpongeBob calls Patrick over to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs tells them not to eat any furniture, which upsets Patrick and causes him to ask SpongeBob why he called him there. SpongeBob replies by saying that they are going to perform a séance at the Krusty Krab. After SpongeBob reads the ingredients of a mustard container and summons the spirit of Rusty's Rib Eye, the ghost soon appears. Patrick runs to get Mr. Krabs after being scared by the "big ghost."
SpongeBob asks Rusty how to make a Rusty on Rye but both attempts to say and write down the recipe fail so, Rusty just shows SpongeBob how to make Old Man Jenkins' order. SpongeBob is surprised to see that the ingredients are driftwood, speckle, and shellac. He asks SpongeBob to try it and SpongeBob rejects it and says that it has an inquired taste.
Because of the delicious smell of the Rusty on Rye, several ghosts infiltrate the Krusty Krab and eat the sandwiches.
After hanging around for a while, SpongeBob asks them to leave, but they begin to cause chaos at the Krusty Krab! Patrick and Mr. Krabs return and see the horrifying cause of SpongeBob's séance. Patrick, still scared, runs around the Krusty Krab screaming. Mr. Krabs sees the orb that the ghosts came from and defeats the ghosts by pushing them back in the orb and pops it. Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob never to hold a séance without his permission, because "ghosts are like relatives. Once you let them in, they'll never leave."
The next day, SpongeBob serves Old Man Jenkins the driftwood sandwich. After he takes a bite, SpongeBob is now satisfied that Old Man Jenkins is satisfied. Then, they hear Patrick still running around the Krusty Krab, moaning ghost sounds, as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Happy Haunting Hosts - Eban Schletter [Title card]
‣ Unknown Track 66 - The opening
‣ Zoom (d) - Dick De Benedictis ["I now summon the unliving!"]
‣ Evil Mind 4 - Dick De Benedictis ["I now summon the unliving!"]
‣ Unknown Track 65 - Organ sting
‣ Drama Link (B) - Hubert Clifford [An empty toilet paper roll is revealed.]
• Soapy Organ - Hiram Titus [Ending of Squidward's TV show]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob whimpers.]
• Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Old Man Jenkins demands a Rusty on Rye.]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["What the barnacle is a Rusty on Rye?"]
• The Donut Dilema - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob does not know how to make a Rusty on Rye.]
• Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Jenkins describes a Rusty on Rye.]
‣ Dramatic Impact (3) - Ivor Slaney ["No!"]
• Fry Cook Ballad A - Steve Marston [Mr. Krabs explains.]
• Shanty Dirge - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston ["Old Rusty bought the farm 20 years ago."]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["I believe I've seen a program on this matter!"]
• A Simple Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob calls Patrick.]
‣ Dramatic Impact (2) - Ivor Slaney ["We shall make contact with the unliving!"]
‣ Expectant Stab [#28] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["By performing... a seance!"]
‣ Evil Horror - Harry Lubin [Patrick screams.]
• Deep Shadows - Eban Schletter [SpongeBob reads from the sacred text.]
‣ Evil Apparition [#21] - Harry Lubin [The spirit of Rusty Rickets appears.]
• Drama Sting 5 - Steve Marston ["A big ghost?!"]
• Unknown Track 67 - Eban Schletter ["He means freak in the nicest possible way."]
• Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter [A sandwich made of driftwood is made]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes a bite.]
• Ghouls of the Briny Deep - Luke Brookshier, Eban Schletter [Other ghosts emerge from the floor/SpongeBob sees more ghosts.]
• Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter [A ghost throws tree stump through window.]
• I've Created a Monster - Eban Schletter [The ghosts destroy Krusty Krab/Mr. Krabs and Patrick see all of the disaster.]
‣ ? [Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob about seances.]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Hawaiian sting]
• The Krusty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [The next day]
• Ghouls of the Briny Deep - Luke Brookshier, Eban Schletter [The ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 15, Nick-or-Treat!, Bikini Bottom's Most Wanted, Complete Ninth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- Some of the ghosts seen here have appeared in other episodes such as:
- An instrumental version of the song "Ghouls O the Briny Deep" from the episode "Ghoul Fools" is used when the ghosts invade the Krusty Krab and when Patrick is running around the Krusty Krab at the end of this episode.
- This is the first episode to have ghosts but not feature the Flying Dutchman.
- This is the third appearance of Old Man Jenkins who was introduced in "Friend or Foe," and the second being "The Main Drain."
- When Patrick says "This is the part of the story where I run around and scream," he breaks the fourth wall.
- The number SpongeBob dialed on the phone is 1927.
- This is the first episode to play the track "Fry Cook Ballad A" since "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget" in season 5.
- This episode preceded the series premiere of the Nickelodeon series The Thundermans.
- This episode and its sister, "Don't Look Now," are both Halloween episodes.
- This episode reveals before the Rusty Krab, there was a shack called "Rusty's Rib Eye."
- A clip of this episode was seen in the "Dude Snake Sponge Friendship" promo.
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Seance it Soße," which translates to "Séance with Sauce."
- This is the second episode to have accents in its title. The first was "Krabs à la Mode."
- Patrick says "Mr. Bossman," referencing the song "Hey, Mean Mr. Bossman."
- When SpongeBob looks through his brain for a Rusty on Rye, the first thing he finds is "Ramblin' Ham", referencing the song "Ramblin' Man" by The Allman Brothers Band.
- When SpongeBob goes running to Mr. Krabs' office, the Galley Grub says, "Krabby Pattie" instead of "Krabby Patty."
- Oddly, SpongeBob tries to hand Rusty a pencil and paper, the objects just go through Rusty's hand due to him being a ghost. This should have been true for all the other ghosts who destroy the Krusty Krab. It might be thought re-watching it that Rusty didn't want to write it down, until the next scene when he gladly shows SpongeBob the recipe and lifts the knife and driftwood sandwich.
- Rusty's restaurant was a "ghost," so SpongeBob should have been able to walk through the door instead of opening it.
- A ghost saws down a load bearing column in the Krusty Krab, but in the next scene and throughout the rest of the episode, both of the columns are standing in the Krusty Krab.
- When Mr. Krabs and Patrick stand in the front door of the Krusty Krab, the Chum Bucket cannot be seen in its usual spot.
- SpongeBob puts a Krabby Patty with a candle more into the hands of Patrick, not his head, as shown at the beginning of the seance.