- French Narrator
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sandy Cheeks
- Squidward Tentacles (indirectly mentioned)
- Larry the Lobster (debut)
- Don the Whale (debut)
- Frank (goldfish) (debut; cameo)
- Incidental 16 (debut)
- Incidental 17 (debut)
- Incidental 15 (debut)
- John (debut)
- Charlie (debut)
- Evelyn Annette (debut)
- Incidental 4 (debut)
- Nancy Suzy Fish (debut)
- Incidental 22(debut)
- Incidental 2 (debut)
- Incidental 29 (debut)
- Tom (debut)
- Incidental 31 (debut)
- Harold (red fish) (debut)
- Jimmy Gus (debut)
- Incidental 20 (debut)
- Scooter (debut)
- Wobbles (debut)
- Incidental 37A (debut)
- Incidental 10 (debut)
- Incidental 28 (debut)
- Incidental 13 (debut)
- Horace (debut)
- Incidental 9 (debut)
- Lou (debut)
- Peterson Nat Tucker (debut)
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott (debut)
- Snack Bar chef (debut)
- Sports guy (debut)
- Frank (lifeguard) (debut)
- Tina Fran (debut)
- Incidental 21 (debut)
- Loser (debut)
- Frank (whale) (debut)
- Incidental 46 (debut)
- Nurse Rechid (debut)
- Sadie (debut)
- Abigail (light blue fish) (debut)
- Shubie Peterson (debut)
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 12 (debut)
- Incidental 35 (debut)
- Incidental 19 (debut)
- Lenny (debut)
- Dave Frank Percy Isabelle Harold Scooter (debut)
- Whale shark (debut)
The episode begins with SpongeBob and Sandy having a good time at Goo Lagoon. Larry comes by and asks them if they want to do some weights. They accept, despite SpongeBob not being in the mood to do weights. Larry and Sandy do several impressive weight stunts, while SpongeBob tries to pick up a stick. When SpongeBob tries to pick up a stick with two marshmallows on the sides, he accidentally rips his pants.
This causes everyone to laugh, prompting SpongeBob to continue making ripped pants jokes. After awhile, SpongeBob's ripped pants jokes start to annoy the people in Goo Lagoon. At some point, SpongeBob fakes himself drowning in order to make a ripped pants joke, but this causes everyone to get angry at home and leave him, alone.
SpongeBob tries to figure out more ripped pants jokes as the last one didn't work, but realizes nobody is paying attention to him. He sees some other people who make big mistakes. SpongeBob decides to sing a song about how he lost his friends due to ripping his pants. Sandy forgives SpongeBob for what he did, and the episode ends with SpongeBob ripping his underwear while signing Larry's shorts, making him embarrassed.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Heat - The Blue Hawaiians [The opening]
‣ Fun at the Seaside - Syd Dale [Lifting weights]
‣ Side Drum [#52.05] - Mark Nolan [SpongeBob lifts a twig.]
‣ Side Drum [#52] - Mark Nolan ["Y'all watch this."]
‣ Entry of the Gladiators - Dick Stephen Walter [Sandy lifts anchors.]
‣ The Land is Ours - Gregor F. Narholz [Larry lifts the audience.]
‣ Timpani Signal 1 - Sammy Burdson [SpongeBob adds marshmallows to the twig.]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob struggles to lift the twig once/SpongeBob struggles to lift the twig twice/SpongeBob struggles to lift the twig again.]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Everyone laughs at SpongeBob.]
‣ Orchestral Effect (f) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob smiles.]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [Volleyball/Everyone laughing at SpongeBob again.]
‣ Surf Buggy - The Surfdusters [Frisbee]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Later...]
• 12th Street Rag 3 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob annoys people.]
‣ Return of the Surfin' Headhunters - The Mel-Tones [Surfing]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Holy fish paste, it's a guy!"]
‣ Hope & Glory - Thomas Blug, Mark Scholz ["Why? Why?! Why?!"]
‣ Beautiful Moonlit Night - George Wilson ["Come closer... I need..."]
‣ Timpani Glissando (b) - Gary Kettel [Everyone walks away.]
‣ Ups and Downs (d) - Richard Myhill [Everyone walks away.]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White ["Dude..."]
‣ Timpani - Military (d) - Gary Kettel ["Come on, SpongeBob, you're losing 'em."]
‣ Side Drum [#52.02] - Mark Nolan ["Hey, everybody!"]
‣ Entry of the Gladiators - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob's pants get ripped off.]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [Sandy plays volleyball with Larry.]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter ["Oh no, everybody's gone!"]
◦ Ripped Pants - Peter Strauss, Paul Tibbitt
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies, Complete 1st Season, Home Sweet Pineapple, Absorbing Favorites, The 1st Season: Volume 1, The Best of Nickelodeon: Summer Adventures, Tea at the Treedome, First 100 Episodes, SpongeBob SquarePants, iSponge Offer Pack, The Complete First Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 1, From the Beginning, Pt.1, Triple Pack 4, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, Big Hits: Volume 2, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs along with SpongeBob SquarePants Volume 1 on GBA Video and on VideoNow.
- This episode is also available on the Nautical Nonsense, Home Sweet Pineapple (VHS), Absorbing Favorites (VHS) and Undersea Antics Volume 1 VHS tapes.
- This episode is also available on the It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-ray.
- "Ripped Pants" was ranked #3 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- In the "Top 100 Greatest Moments in Nicktoon History," it was ranked #6.
- Ripped Pants" is one of Tom Kenny's favorite episodes. He says "I think one of my favorite episodes is uh, "Ripped Pants," the one where SpongeBob rips his pants by mistake and gets a laugh out of it, and then overplays his hand by doing it one too many times, and people get bored with it, and he realizes that jokes have a lifespan. And I think that's something that happened to me a lot as a kid, where you would accidentally hit on something that was really funny and you would just do it over and over and over again, and when people stopped laughing, it was kind of like a slap in the face, it kinda hurt, and then you had to go out and find something else stupid to uh, get attention and laughs from your classmates."
- The cover for the DVD Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies is based on this episode.
- According to The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash, Nathan Kress ranked this episode as his favorite.
- There is a toy produced by Fisher-Price based on this episode that consists of a SpongeBob whose pants can rip.
- This is the first episode that uses the trademark SpongeBob font on the title card, albeit only on the letters "R," "i," "e," and "ants."
- The scene in which SpongeBob says "Because I ripped my pants!" to the lifeguard fish has become an internet meme called "the serious lifeguard fish."
- This episode is the debut for most of the extra Bikini Bottomites who are used a lot throughout the series, minus Fred, who debuted in "Reef Blower."
- This is the first episode where the Beach Boys sing a song in the series. The second is "Doing Time," but only in one shot.
- Some of the storyboard frames can be seen on the booklet for SpongeBob's Greatest Hits.
- There are two books based on this episode called Ripped Pants and I Ripped My Pants!
- This is the first episode to have an original song.
- This episode premiered on David Hasselhoff's 47th birthday.
- This is the first episode to use the track "Grass Skirt Chase." Although, the aforementioned track was not used for a chase scene in this episode.
- This is also the first episode to use "12th Street Rag 3."
- SpongeBob surfs in this episode, but in "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One," he does not know how to surf.
- This episode marks the first instance of differing bubble transitions.
- The song that SpongeBob sings is similar to the song "Be True to Your School."
- On the title card, Paul Tibbitt's name is misspelled as "Paul Tibibitt" when credited as storyboard director. However his name is spelled correctly when later credited as a writer. This also happens with Mark O'Hare, whose name was also misspelled as "Mark O'hare" with a lowercase 'h'. This error was corrected in later airings of this episode.
- When the first view of the weightlifters is shown, there are two huts, but when it goes to a close-up on the weightlifters, the huts are gone.
- When Larry lifts the seats the Bikini Bottomites were sitting on, the background moves in such a way on the close-up on the Bikini Bottomites that it looks like the camera is panning down to the bottom of the seats instead of it looking like the seats are lifting up.
- After SpongeBob rips off his pants, he still has his sleeves on for the rest of the episode, save for one shot.
- SpongeBob rips off his swimsuit, revealing his underwear, but when the camera zooms out as the other "losers" join him for the "Ripped Pants" song, he is seen wearing his swimsuit again.
- In several scenes, SpongeBob rips his pants, then in the next scene, they are not ripped.
- When the five female fish listen to the song, the yellow fish is on the left and the green fish is on the right, but in the next scene, they are switched.
- Larry the Lobster is credited as a customer on the credits when he is really the lifeguard.
- After he rips off his pants, SpongeBob's cuffs disappear when he looks toward Sandy and Larry, but they reappear when it cuts back to him.
- When SpongeBob and the others were singing the song, they ripped their pants. After the song, they are not ripped.
- If one looks closely in the Ripped Pants song, several scenes still have SpongeBob with his swim trunks on.
- SpongeBob ripping his pants.
- SpongeBob getting jealous when Sandy hangs out with Larry.