- French Narrator
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sandy Cheeks
- Squidward Tentacles (indirectly mentioned)
- Larry the Lobster (debut)
- Don the Whale (debut)
- Frank (goldfish) (debut; cameo)
- Buddy (debut)
- Perry (debut)
- Mevis (debut)
- John (debut)
- Charlie (debut)
- Evelyn (debut)
- Francis (debut)
- Nancy Suzy Fish (debut)
- Jennifer-Millie (debut)
- Incidental 2 (debut)
- Molly (debut)
- Tom (debut)
- Clay (debut)
- Harold (red fish) (debut)
- Jimmy Gus (debut)
- Sheldon (fish) (debut)
- Scooter (debut)
- Wobbles (debut)
- Gus (debut)
- Franco (debut)
- Phill (debut)
- Medley Fishbowl (debut)
- Horace (debut)
- Henry-Bart (debut)
- Lou (debut)
- Peterson Nat Tucker (debut)
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott (debut)
- Snack Bar chef (debut)
- Sports guy (debut)
- Frank (lifeguard) (debut)
- Tina Fran (debut)
- Halbert (debut)
- Loser (debut)
- Frank (whale) (debut)
- Nazz-Mimi (debut)
- Norma Rechid (debut)
- Sadie (debut)
- Abigail Marge (debut)
- Shubie Peterson (debut)
- Harry (fish) (debut)
- Vera Fishbowl (debut)
- Skinny fish (debut)
- Black-haired beachgoer (debut)
- Lenny (debut)
- Frank (debut)
The narrator introduces Goo Lagoon, which is a very popular beach in Bikini Bottom, where SpongeBob and Sandy are relaxing. SpongeBob puts on a show by making silly sand sculptures, which make Sandy laugh. A muscular lobster named Larry comes and asks if they want to lift weights, which Sandy quickly accepts, while SpongeBob mopes behind them. When they arrive at the weight lifting area, Sandy lifts a bar weight and the crowd cheers. SpongeBob tries to get them to do something else, but Larry continues. He lifts a bar weight with six weights and the crowd cheers. Attempting to impress the crowd, SpongeBob lifts a stick, but the crowd is unimpressed. Sandy then lifts two anchors and is cheered loudly. Larry then lifts the entire audience and bleachers, and, once again, the crowd cheers.
SpongeBob is left out and tries to get more attention by lifting a stick with marshmallows on the ends, which he actually struggles to do. However, he accidentally rips his pants and they see his underwear in the process, and the crowd laughs hysterically. Feeling embarrassed, SpongeBob sadly leaves the weight lifting area, as the fish continue to laugh at him until one fish compliments him for the good laugh. When Sandy agrees, SpongeBob decides to use this to his advantage. He rips his pants again while playing a game of volleyball, and again while playing Frisbee, with both times getting a big round of laughter from Sandy and the other fish.
However, the joke soon starts to get old as when SpongeBob and Sandy go to get some ice cream, the vendor becomes increasingly annoyed when SpongeBob makes ripped pants-related puns, although Sandy laughs hysterically at them. He then goes over to the snack bar, but nobody there is amused when he brings up the ripped pants joke.
Later, at a surfing competition, SpongeBob once again rips his trunks while surfing, which bores everybody. He is then knocked off his board by a wave and washes ashore completely lifeless, having seemingly drowned. A lifeguard notices this, but at first laughs it off thinking that SpongeBob is just a cardboard box. Upon looking closer through his telescope, he screams that it is actually a person and races over to save him. The incident attracts a large crowd, including Sandy, who are all fearing the worst.
SpongeBob groggily tells the lifeguard to come closer and says that he needs something. He then whispers into the lifeguard's ear that he needs a tailor as he ripped his pants, revealing that he was faking it in order to get attention so he could use the ripped pants joke again. This angers the crowd and they leave, including Sandy, who scolds SpongeBob for making her worried after telling him that what he did was not funny.
Later, SpongeBob is shown sitting inside a dressing tent thinking about how he can revive the joke. He gets an idea and rips his entire pants off, only to be met with silence. He then notices Sandy playing volleyball with Larry in the distance, and SpongeBob realizes his ripped pants joke has driven all his friends away, and pretending to drown having gone too far after realizing that Sandy was right. He then lies on the sand and asks himself if he is the biggest loser on the beach.This question is answered by three other beach goers, who think they are the biggest losers on the beach: Jennifer-Millie, who forgot to put on sunscreen and got sunburnt; Loser, who got sand in his buns; and Frank, who was buried in the sand and forgotten. They ask SpongeBob what happened to him, and he tells his story through a song. Everyone on the beach hears his song and understands how he feels and that he apologizes. Sandy tells SpongeBob that if he wanted her to be his friend, he should be himself. After SpongeBob and Sandy reconcile, Larry asks him to sign his pants, and SpongeBob accepts. He bends down to sign, but his underwear rips off completely, and SpongeBob covers himself and blushes in embarrassment, and the screen cuts to black ending the episode.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Heat - The Blue Hawaiians [The opening]
‣ Fun at the Seaside - Syd Dale [Lifting weights]
‣ Side Drum [#52.05] - Mark Nolan [SpongeBob lifts a twig.]
‣ Side Drum [#52] - Mark Nolan ["Y'all watch this."]
‣ Entry of the Gladiators - Dick Stephen Walter [Sandy lifts anchors.]
‣ The Land is Ours - Gregor F. Narholz [Larry lifts the audience.]
‣ Timpani Signal 1 - Sammy Burdson [SpongeBob adds marshmallows to the twig.]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob struggles to lift the twig once/SpongeBob struggles to lift the twig twice/SpongeBob struggles to lift the twig again.]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Everyone laughs at SpongeBob.]
‣ Orchestral Effect (f) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob smiles.]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [Volleyball/Everyone laughing at SpongeBob again.]
‣ Surf Buggy - The Surfdusters [Frisbee]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Later...]
‣ 12th Street Rag 3 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob annoys people.]
‣ Return of the Surfin' Headhunters - The Mel-Tones [Surfing]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Holy fish paste, it's a guy!"]
‣ Hope & Glory - Thomas Blug, Mark Scholz ["Why? Why?! Why?!"]
‣ Beautiful Moonlit Night - George Wilson ["Come closer... I need..."]
‣ Timpani Glissando (b) - Gary Kettel [Everyone walks away.]
‣ Ups and Downs (d) - Richard Myhill [Everyone walks away.]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White ["Dude..."]
‣ Timpani - Military (d) - Gary Kettel ["Come on, SpongeBob, you're losing 'em."]
‣ Side Drum [#52.02] - Mark Nolan ["Hey, everybody!"]
‣ Entry of the Gladiators - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob's pants get ripped off.]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [Sandy plays volleyball with Larry.]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter ["Oh no, everybody's gone!"]
• Ripped Pants - Peter Strauss, Paul Tibbitt
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies, Home Sweet Pineapple, The Best of Nickelodeon: Summer Adventures, Absorbing Favorites, SpongeBob SquarePants, iSponge Offer Pack, The Complete First Season, Triple Pack 4, Big Hits: Volume 2, The 1st Season: Volume 1, Complete 1st Season, It's a SpongeBob Christmas! (Blu-ray), First 100 Episodes, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and Tea at the Treedome DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Nautical Nonsense, Home Sweet Pineapple (VHS), Absorbing Favorites (VHS) and Undersea Antics Volume 1 VHS's.
- For commercials, the Latin America airings of this episode finishes when the concert at the end of this episode is just beginning.
- "Ripped Pants" was ranked #3 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- "Ripped Pants" is one of Tom Kenny's favorite episodes. He says "I think one of my favorite episodes is uh, "Ripped Pants," the one where SpongeBob rips his pants by mistake and gets a laugh out of it, and then overplays his hand by doing it one too many times, and people get bored with it, and he realizes that jokes have a lifespan. And I think that's something that happened to me a lot as a kid, where you would accidentally hit on something that was really funny and you would just do it over and over and over again, and when people stopped laughing, it was kind of like a slap in the face, it kinda hurt, and then you had to go out and find something else stupid to uh, get attention and laughs from your classmates."
- However, this episode is not on Tom Kenny's top 20 episodes playlist.
- The cover for the DVD Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies is based on this episode.
- This is the first time SpongeBob and Larry interact.
- However, in "Pet or Pests," Larry acts like he never knew about SpongeBob.
- According to The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash, Nathan Kress ranked this episode as his favorite.
- There is a toy produced by Fisher-Price based on this episode that consists of a SpongeBob whose pants can rip.
- This episode premiered in Canada on March 11, 2000.
- This is the first episode that uses the trademark SpongeBob font on the title card, albeit only on the letters "R," "i," "e," and "ants."
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob is shown wearing a different attire rather than his normal clothes.
- SpongeBob's blue swimming trunks are seen again in "Walking Small," "Bubble Buddy," "SpongeGuard on Duty," and in a flashback in "All That Glitters." However, in later episodes, his swimming trunks are red instead of blue.
- The scene in which SpongeBob says "Because I ripped my pants!" to the lifeguard fish has become an internet meme called "the serious lifeguard fish."
- This is the first episode to feature Goo Lagoon.
- This episode marks the debut of Larry the Lobster.
- This episode is the debut for most of the extra Bikini Bottomites who are used a lot throughout the series, minus Fred, who debuted in "Reef Blower."
- This is the first episode where the Beach Boys sing a song in the series. The second is "Doing Time," but only in one shot.
- Some of the storyboard frames can be seen on the booklet for SpongeBob's Greatest Hits.
- This is the first episode to not feature Conch Street.
- There are two books based on this episode called Ripped Pants and I Ripped My Pants!
- This is the first episode to have an original song.
- This episode premiered on David Hasselhoff's 47th birthday.
- This is the first episode to use the APM track "Grass Skirt Chase." Although, the aforementioned APM track was not used for a chase scene.
- SpongeBob says "Frisbee" in this episode, but in "Sand Castles in the Sand," he and Patrick repeatedly call it "small plastic disk that you throw" due to "Frisbee" being a trademark name.
- SpongeBob surfs in this episode, but in "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One," he does not know how to surf.
- This episode marks the first instance of differing bubble transitions.
- All the scenes where SpongeBob rips his pants were censored in India. 
- The song that SpongeBob sings is similar to the song "Be True to Your School."
- On the title card, Paul Tibbitt's name is misspelled as "Paul Tibibitt" when credited as storyboard director. However his name is spelled correctly when later credited as a writer. This also happens with Mark O'Hare, whose name was also misspelled as "Mark O'hare" with a lowercase 'h'.
- When the first view of the weightlifters is shown, there are two huts, but when it goes to a close-up on the weightlifters, the huts are gone.
- When Larry lifts the seats the Bikini Bottomites were sitting on, the background moves in such a way on the close-up on the Bikini Bottomites that it looks like the camera is panning down to the bottom of the seats instead of it looking like the seats are lifting up.
- After SpongeBob rips off his pants, he still has his sleeves on for the rest of the episode, save for one shot.
- SpongeBob rips off his swimsuit, revealing his underwear, but when the camera zooms out as the other "losers" join him for the "Ripped Pants" song, he is seen wearing his swimsuit again.
- In several scenes, SpongeBob rips his pants, then in the next scene, they are not ripped.
- When the five female fish listen to the song, the yellow fish is on the left and the green fish is on the right, but in the next scene, they are switched.
- Larry the Lobster is credited as a customer on the credits when he is really the lifeguard.
- After he rips off his pants, SpongeBob's cuffs disappear when he looks toward Sandy and Larry, but they reappear when it cuts back to him.
- When SpongeBob and the others were singing the song, they ripped their pants. After the song, they are not ripped.
- If one looks closely in the Ripped Pants song, several scenes still have SpongeBob with his swimtrunks on.
- SpongeBob ripping his pants.
- SpongeBob getting jealous when Sandy hangs out with Larry.