- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott (cameo)
- Squidward's lawyers (debut)
- Frank (cameo)
- Norma Rechid
- Martha Smith
At home, Squidward wakes up from bed and is increasingly annoyed by SpongeBob sharpening his trusty spatula. As he walks to the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob annoys him by repeatedly asking if he can walk with him. Once they end up at work, Squidward gets angry. SpongeBob continues to be annoying, especially when he can't seem to figure out the mustard dispenser is empty, with its sound effects causing a patron to think Squidward has a farting problem.
An irritated Squidward enters the kitchen to get it through to SpongeBob. Eventually, he leans on the grill, and accidentally burns his right tentacle. When SpongeBob tries to put the fire out with a bucket of water, he accidentally spills it onto the floor, causing Squidward to slip.
As Squidward flies through the air, SpongeBob tries to catch him in a jellyfishing net, but it breaks, and it accidentally drops Squidward into the deep fryer. The more SpongeBob tries to help him by running over to the deep fryer, by pulling out a fried Squidward, the more he accidentally bungles things, and further injures Squidward by tripping over a mop. After accidentally tripping over the mop, SpongeBob now lands into the order window, causing Squidward to flip right out of the basket, and knocking out a customer's Krabby Patty. The customer then accidentally bites into Squidward's own flesh, resulting in Squidward screaming in pain, and the customer freaks out.
The customer now throws Squidward back to SpongeBob, and lands into the mouth by bouncing right off. When Squidward crashes into a soda machine, breaking it, Mr. Krabs now comes out of the office crying, and SpongeBob goes over to him and asks if he's all right. Squidward screams and runs from him, hiding behind a table. When SpongeBob gets closer, Squidward resorts to climbing the walls and ceiling of The Krusty Krab to get away from him. Mr. Krabs then reveals SpongeBob "really set him (Squidward) over the edge."
The next day, Squidward gives SpongeBob a "gift": a restraining order, which his three lawyers from the law offices of Harry, Combover, and Bald, explain to him. They tell SpongeBob that he cannot come within 15 feet of Squidward or he will go to jail. SpongeBob is confused at first, but when Squidward tells him that he can't prepare Krabby Patties if he's in jail, he is struck with fear and does everything he can to avoid coming within 15 feet of Squidward.
SpongeBob resumes working, but unfortunately, the window from which SpongeBob gives orders to Squidward is within the 15 feet range, so the cash register and the counter are moved to the right, by the restroom door. SpongeBob tries to give the orders to Squidward by means of a pole, but Squidward ignores it. Mr. Krabs sees the restraining order is hindering business, so he remove SpongeBob's star and tells SpongeBob he has to think of another way.
In the next scene, Patrick is tiptoeing to Squidward. Squidward tries to ignore him, but it doesn't work. Patrick tries to tell Squidward he now has a hat. Mr. Krabs reveals that he hired Patrick as a middle man. Squidward won't stand it now that the employees are both his annoying neighbors, so he marches over to Mr. Krabs and complains to him, however Mr. Krabs tells Squidward that unless he can work things out with SpongeBob, he will have to put up with Patrick, which annoys Squidward. SpongeBob prepares the food, then Patrick gives the order to Squidward.
Unfortunately, Patrick asks Squidward if he can watch him work. Squidward says no, but Patrick continues to watch. Patrick does things that annoy Squidward such as following him around the Krusty Krab, appearing inside the cashier, using the bathroom with him, and touching his hat. Squidward becomes very nervous that Patrick could appear any minute before he freaks when Mr. Krabs says his name and tells him it's time for his break. Squidward decides to play his clarinet. He opens his clarinet box to play, but it isn't there. Patrick tells Squidward that he cleaned the bathroom, to which Squidward sarcastically tells him that he did good. But Patrick then tells Squidward that the "toilet plunger" is broken, as he used Squidward's clarinet to clean the toilets, angering Squidward. Mr. Krabs congratulates Patrick before telling Squidward his break is over. Squidward resumes work when a customer orders a lot of food, and asks if that's too much food, but Squidward tells him, "That depends." The customer then says, "On what?", before Squidward tells him, "How long do you wanna live," and laughs. Squidward then turns around to give Patrick the order to get his nose caught in Patrick's mouth. Squidward breaks free of Patrick, but gets flung across the restaurant. Patrick then finds a button on Squidward's post. A random fish appears with a seaberry pie, screams when he sees Squidward flying towards him and leaves the pie in midair. Squidward's face gets smashed into the seaberry pie, which causes him to suffer an allergic reaction by swelling.
Squidward knows what he must do next. When Squidward is about to enter the kitchen, Patrick mistakes him for a monster and hears Squidward say SpongeBob. Patrick thinks Squidward is going to hurt SpongeBob, so he attacks him. Seeing both of them fighting, SpongeBob wants to help, but is afraid of violating the restraining order and serving jail time. His desire to help his friends wins out, and he interferes in their fight and stops it. Patrick at this point finds out that the monster is Squidward, according to SpongeBob. He blames his button for not telling him. Squidward angrily takes the restraining order from SpongeBob, who begs him for mercy. SpongeBob hands Squidward a pen and continues to cry before Squidward tells SpongeBob he isn't going to jail. Instead of sending SpongeBob to jail, Squidward uses the pen to replace "SpongeBob SquarePants" with "Patrick Star." Patrick then says sorry to his button, before Squidward tells Patrick that he is on the restraining order, not his button. The episode ends with Patrick laughing hysterically.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Squidward grumbles]
• Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [Squidward screams]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward is fried]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trips on the mop]
‣ Action Stations 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Squidward, can you hear me?"]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward runs away from SpongeBob]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, you really set him over the edge this time."]
• Happy Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [one shift later...]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [restraining order]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [Squidward's lawyers appear/Bald explains SpongeBob the contents of Squidward's restraining order.]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [lawyers fly away]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob making Krabby Patties]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["Oops."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs wipes mustard off his clothes with the restraining order]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [Krabs removes a gold star from SpongeBob's employee performance chart]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick hired/"Yeah Patrick! Get back to...WHAT?!?"]
• Happy Crusty Crew - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick annoying Squidward]
‣ ? [Squidward washing hands]
• Happy Crusty Crew - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick stills annoying Squidward]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hi, Squidward."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["We're gonna need a new plunger."]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Nice work, Patrick!"]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick bites Squidward's nose]
‣ Cocksure Capers - Phil Green ["Squidward's funny!"]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [pie in Squidward's face]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm allergic to sea berries!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Monster!"]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn [Patrick attacks Squidward]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries because he broke the restraining order]
• Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Complete Eighth Season, Sweet & Sour Squidward, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 13, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- In the title card it uses SpongeBob's design that was used from the promotion art.
- There are 24 SpongeBobs on the title card.
- It is revealed that Squidward is allergic to seaberries, which causes his whole body to swell up.
- Patrick wears his Krusty Krab employee hat sideways throughout the episode.
- When Bald draws the circle on the ground to indicate 15 feet, it encompasses the restroom, so there would be no way for SpongeBob to go to the bathroom while Squidward is at his post. However, in the episode "Breath of Fresh Squidward," it is revealed that SpongeBob has an employees-only bathroom in the kitchen.
- This is the third episode to contain SpongeBob on a title card. The first is "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" and the second is "Oral Report."
- In Germany, this episode has two title cards.
- Hairy, Combover, and Bald's (Squidward's lawyers) names match their hairstyles.
- To date, this episode marks the last usage of the APM track "Captain Lenoe's," although only its ending sting is heard.
- This episode marks the only time the track "The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka" is played on Season 8.
- The working title for this episode was "Whispering Tentacles." This title is used on several international TV guides, such as iDNES Europe.
- This episode marks the starting of the "Two Whole Weeks of Never Before Seen SpongeBob" event.
- This was the last episode to ever be written by Paul Tibbitt before he left the show after Season 9.
- At the beginning of the episode, when SpongeBob is talking to Squidward one of his eyelashes are missing.
- Since the Bikini Bottomites are no taller than a foot, SpongeBob would have had to be outside the Krusty Krab to be away from Squidward. Although they might have meant footsteps than actual feet.
- When Bald draws the circle, it starts on the right side of the kitchen door frame and ends on the right side of the bathroom door frame. However, in some scenes, the circle starts on the left side of the kitchen door frame and ends on the right side of the bathroom door frame (usually on the wide angles).
- When Patrick has Squidward's nose in his mouth, his eyebrows disappear for a second.
- Mr. Krabs uses the restraining order to get mustard off him, but the next time it's seen, there is no mustard on it.
- When Squidward goes face first into the pie, his workstation is missing.
- It is unknown why Squidward couldn't have just gotten two restraining orders against both SpongeBob and Patrick, considering the fact that a restraining order is not limited to only one person. It is likely, however, that Squidward deemed Patrick more annoying than SpongeBob, opting to simply choose the greater of two evils. It's also possible in Bikini Bottom a restraining order is limited to one person.
- What Squidward has done is illegal as a restraining order can’t be issued for the reasons he issued one unless he knows a judge or might be friends with one. A restraining order can only be issued to protect someone from a harassing, stalking, or threatening person.
- Squidward could have gotten arrested if he put a restraining order on his neighbors.
- In "Can You Spare a Dime?," Squidward said he was allergic to ink print so there must be some ink print on the restraining order that he is not allergic to.
- It's also possible he was lying in the aforementioned episode to avoid reading the list of available jobs.
- SpongeBob and Patrick asking different questions to Squidward and while continually rejected, repeatedly asking "please."