- Sandy Cheeks
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Fish on Sand Mountain
- Camper (debut)
- Female skier (debut)
- Male skier (debut)
- Incidental 158 (debut)
- Girl fish (debut)
- Gary the Snail
- Giant clams (mentioned)
- Real-life drummer (debut)
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 5
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 30
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 46
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 28
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 45
- Larry the Lobster
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 29
- Incidental 73
- Dark green fish
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 104
- Orange fish (debut)
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 90
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 13
- Patrick Star (cameo)
- Other Bikini Bottomites
- Elephant fish (debut)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode begins at Sandy's treedome, with Sandy raking her tree's autumn leaves into a pile that forms the shape of Texas. Sandy findsleaves SpongeBob was meant to rake up, but cannot due to his comically small rake. Sandy tells SpongeBob to move on to something else as she continues her own chores at a brisk pace. SpongeBob doesn't understand why Sandy is in such a hurry, so she reminds him that she will start hibernating the following week. With only 168 hours left, Sandy has many activities she is desperate to do. SpongeBob promises to commit all the time he will not working for Mr. Krabs to do these activities with Sandy, an offer she enthusiastically takes him up on.
Their activities that run day and night include sand-boarding, trying to knock each other off the top of the Sea Needle with giant ear cleaners, "extreme jacks," and "find the hay in the needle stack." These prove to be extremely dangerous, and SpongeBob, much less hardy than Sandy, injures himself and avoids death several times. He goes into hiding under Patrick Star's house to escape from her, and Sandy, panicking for his safety, convinces everyone in Bikini Bottom to form a search party for SpongeBob.
Sandy has them search in dangerous places such as sulfur fields, a leech farm, and a poison sea urchin cove. After days of searching with no success, they all want a break, but she does not relent. They ask for time to take care of their children, but Sandy merely suggests to have the children crawl into places that adults cannot reach. With the dissent growing, Sandy angrily demands leaving until they find SpongeBob. The townspeople try in vain to fool Sandy with objects in SpongeBob's shape and color like a cereal box and a banana. One fish points to SpongeBob supposedly up in the sky, but as Sandy looks up and turns back in confusion, she finds that everyone has gone, taking their chance to also hide under Patrick's rock.
Still frantic, Sandy starts literally destroying the city in her search for SpongeBob. The townspeople express how safe they feel under the rock, as does SpongeBob, whom they unceremoniously throw out for Sandy to find. Sandy rushes to SpongeBob as he desperately tries to hide again, to no avail. Sandy joyfully pulls SpongeBob for a hug before tugging him along to go "atom smashing," but he pleads for her to wait and listen to him. SpongeBob finally explains to her that he can no longer play the dangerous games she wants to play and begs for her to remain his friend. However, he realizes that Sandy has already fallen sound asleep, and the relieved and exhausted SpongeBob falls asleep as well. Patrick returns home to find the townspeople staring out from under his rock and yells, "Who are you people?!", ending the episode.
- A guy on a bike holding a lollipop, having random things happening to him, usually just saying "Uh... I can explain..."
- SpongeBob getting hurt from the various activities he and Sandy do.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Prehibernation - Pantera [Title card]
‣ Real Western Steel - Bobby Black [Opening]
‣ Harry's Back - Hans Ehrlinger ["I am 100% ma-male."]
‣ Real Western Steel - Bobby Black ["Enough chitter-chatter, SpongeBob!"]
• Prehibernation - Pantera [Sand Mountain]
‣ Rococo Rondo - Tedeusz Rozycki ["Uh... I can explain."]
• Prehibernation - Pantera ["I'm hotter than a hickory-smoked sausage!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (B) - Richard Myhill [Later...]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob dragging himself home]
• Prehibernation - Pantera [SpongeBob launched out of bed/Extreme Jacks/Sandy and SpongeBob at the Sea Needle]
‣ Holiday Playtime - Cedric King-Palmer [Bike ride]
• Prehibernation - Pantera [Industrial Park]
• Drum Drop - Nicolas Carr [rimshot]
• ? Vibes - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a minute, I gotta talk my way out of this."]
• Prehibernation - Pantera [Hay in the needle stack]
‣ Danger Zone - Mike Sunderland ["SpongeBob's tie!"]
‣ Gruesome - The Surfdusters [The search party]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy looking for SpongeBob]
‣ Rococo Rondo - Tedeusz Rozycki ["Uh, I can explain."]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy continues looking for SpongeBob.]
• Harp! - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
‣ Real Western Steel - Bobby Black [Sandy hugs SpongeBob]
• Prehibernation - Pantera ["Sandy, wait!"]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer ["I just can't take the games!"]
‣ Reflections of Honolulu - Daniel J. White [Sandy is asleep]
- This episode is available on the Lost at Sea, Complete 2nd Season, Holiday Cruise Collection, Christmas Who?, Beach Bob, Bundled Up in Bikini Bottom, Christmas (Polish only), First 100 Episodes, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 3, The Complete Second Season, From the Beginning, Part 1, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Deep-Sea Games, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The First & Second Seasons and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Lost at Sea and Anchors Away VHS tapes.
- "Prehibernation Week" was ranked #28 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- "Prehibernation Week" was ranked #46 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode was originally intended to be titled "Sardines."
- Lines from this episode have become memes on the Internet, including:
- The fish saying, "Uh, I can explain."
- Patrick saying, "Who are you people?!"
- Frank saying, "This is a load of barnacles.”
- Sandy saying, “No, you ain’t.”
- Squidward looking at Mr. Krabs, smiling.
- Extreme Jacks.
- The burning fish.
- This is the second episode to have an animated title card. The first is "SB-129."
- The scene where SpongeBob and Sandy play "hay in the needle stack" is used as the title card for "Bubble Troubles."
- In Hebrew, the episode is titled "מחפשים את ספוגבוב," which means "Looking for SpongeBob."
- This the second episode to have a comedy drummer gag. The first is "Culture Shock."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob says, "This squirrel's trying to kill me." The first is "MuscleBob BuffPants."
- Sandy mentions the episode's main title when she says, "I gotta say, I'm impressed with you, SpongeBob. You're making this the best Prehibernation Week ever."
- There is a coloring book based on this episode named You Snooze, You Lose.
- This is the first of four episodes transcribed as a comic into the SpongeBob SquarePants/Tokyopop book Tales from Bikini Bottom. The other three were "Home Sweet Pineapple," "F.U.N.," and "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic."
- SpongeBob breaks the fourth wall by noticing the ostensibly non-diegetic heavy metal music when Sandy is preparing to pedal the bike.
- In the audio commentary for this episode, one of the people in the commentary makes fun of the Industrial Park by calling it "post-apocalyptic Bikini Bottom." Ironically, 10 years after this commentary was recorded, Bikini Bottom actually did become post-apocalyptic in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- It is revealed in the audio commentary for this episode that Aaron Springer performed the real-life drummer. The same commentary also revealed that it took a whole morning to set up the real-life drummer scene.
- This was Edgar Larrazábal's last episode as an animation director.
- The song "Prehibernation" performed by Pantera is part of a solo featured in their song "Death Rattle;" it starts at 2:31 and ends at about 2:43.
- Before Patrick screams "Who are you people?!," his mouth is colored red.
- Even though this episode features Pantera, it does not feature Pantera's drummer, Vinnie Paul; instead, the drums in this episode are played by Paul Tibbitt.
- During the search party scene where the Bikini Bottomites are searching for SpongeBob, one fish is heard whistling and saying "Here boy!" as if he was calling a dog/worm.
- This is the first episode to play a “Solo Steel.”
- When one of the needles stabs SpongeBob's nose, his voice sounds like Squidward's.
- The SpongeBob sketch on the poster is the one on the show's logo in the theme song.
- Patrick says "Who are you people?!" again in "I'm with Stupid", referring to his fake parents in that episode.
- TeenNick premiered this episode on June 18, 2021.
- The game "Find the hay in the needle stack" is a switch on "find the needle in the hay stack."
- The Sea Needle is a parody of the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington.
- Two kids building a sandman and singing a song in hopes of him coming to life is a reference to the song "Frosty the Snowman."
- When Sandy goes over to paint her fence, the green bikini bottom she wears underneath her skirt is gone.
- Even though Sandy paints entirely over SpongeBob's water helmet with white paint, his eyes are still visible.
- Throughout the entire episode, Sandy's acorn is black rather than its usual color. This error also happened in Wormy.
- The outline of her tongue is also colored black throughout the episode, as opposed to red.
- There were two Nats once. One goes into the three-eyed sea elephant and another is standing near Sandy.
- When Sandy busts into the Krusty Krab, she points to Frank, the muscular fish, saying that he and whoever is on his side is on Alpha team go look for SpongeBob. However, Frank screams "Gold team rules!"
- When Sandy and SpongeBob are playing extreme jacks, Sandy blows the whistle with her helmet on.
- There is a column left of "Sunday" on the calendar in Sandy's treedome.
- The calendar that Sandy pulls down when she and SpongeBob are frozen in the lake only has 20 days and only has five days a week.
- After Charlie asks if he can go home and Sandy looks angry, her neck is the same color as the lower side of her face.
- In the closing credits, Aaron Springer, who performed the real-life drummer, is uncredited.
- When Sandy lifts up the building to reveal a guy on a bike holding a lollipop, her tail is gone.
- When SpongeBob yells "You don't understand!," his pupils turn black in the animation smear.
- When SpongeBob crashes into the snowman, his eyelashes are gone.
- In one of the shots that SpongeBob is melted, the front part of his shoes is cut.
- For unknown reasons, the audio for this episode and "Life of Crime" are low-pitched for the Nicktoons broadcast and the Paramount+ streaming version. This error isn't present for both the remastered Nickelodeon USA/TeenNick broadcasts, Amazon Prime Video streaming version and the non-remastered Nick@Nite broadcast and DVD releases.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|