- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Frank (store owner) (debut)
- Daydream Halbert
- Daydream Horace
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Daydream Peterson Nat Tucker
- Squidina's mother
- Daydream Squidina's mother
- Daydream Tina Fran
- Daydream Tom
- French Narrator
- Sandy Cheeks
- Seahorse (cameo in picture)
- Mrs. Puff
- Squidward Tentacles
- Gale Rechid
- Sandals (cameo)
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sea leprechaun (cameo)
- Nathiel Waters
- Dennis (citizen)
- Frankie Billy
- Jimmy Gus
- Norma Rechid
- Frank (red shirt)
- Abigail Marge
- Martha Smith
The episode begins with SpongeBob introducing Patrick to the Palace of Pranks. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he bought a gag can of Seanut Brittle from there, with which Patrick gets pranked (even though he had fallen for it many times before) and is sad there is no snack.
SpongeBob and Patrick then enter the store in search of the ultimate prank. Patrick falls for the Seanut Brittle prank again before SpongeBob introduces Patrick to the store owner, Frank, who then suggests numerous gags in stock to prank all of Bikini Bottom with, though none of them interest the pair until they are offered a rare can of Invisible Spray for just one dollar.
SpongeBob and Patrick then proceed to purchase it and are warned that it stains clothes. Before they use the spray, Patrick remembers it will stain clothes, so he and SpongeBob take their clothes off in order to prevent the spray from staining their clothes. They decide to spray a park bench and sit on it but get in an argument over who gets to spray the bench. During the fight, they are embarrassed by a passing tour bus before they spray each other until "several bad puns later," after which both of them are completely invisible and the Invisible Spray can is empty. SpongeBob throws it out of sight and blames Patrick since their chances at pulling off the ultimate prank are now ruined.
After asking a man for the time and accidentally scaring him away, SpongeBob realizes that he and Patrick can pretend to be ghosts and prank the whole town. They pretend to be ghosts and go around frightening everyone (moving things around in Sandy's treedome, eating a cake Mrs. Puff was going to eat, painting a mustache on Squidward's face, etc.), until Mr. Krabs, who is confirmed not to be afraid of ghosts, is the last person in Bikini Bottom who has yet to be haunted.They attempt to frighten him and succeed until they attempt to burn a dollar bill. Mr. Krabs' fear is overcome by his love of money, and he attempts to extinguish the match with a bucket of water. The invisible spray is washed off of Patrick and SpongeBob, exposing their identities, and their nudity.
Though embarrassed, Mr. Krabs comforts SpongeBob and Patrick by saying he forgives them and was fond of pulling pranks in his youth. However, when they attempt to leave, the Krusty Krab now contains nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom, which also includes Sandy, Squidward, and Mrs. Puff, and Mr. Krabs showcases the "live, nude pranksters." SpongeBob and Patrick, now extremely embarrassed, try to cover themselves while everyone looks and laughs at them, and SpongeBob says, "We should've bought the whoopie cushion!" as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Flop and Go A - John Fox [Title card]
‣ Prankster - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob introduces Patrick to the Palace of Pranks.]
‣ Witty Fellow - Gerhard Trede ["Good to see you, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["They're floating in midair!"]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob and Patrick spray each other.]
‣ Glissando Up - Eric Allen ["...half past invisible."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell ["Gee, it's getting late."]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob and Patrick are at Sandy's treedome.]
‣ Alien Spacecraft C - Gregor F. Narholz ["It is ghosts!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy screams.]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy escapes to Texas.]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [SpongeBob and Patrick scare everyone.]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs has yet to be haunted.]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Mr. Krabs' anti-ghost armor]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - The Folk Players ["Bring it on!"]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["Krabs, we've come to haunt you!"/Mr. Krabs screams.]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs tries to escape.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["No! Don't burn me dollar!"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [SpongeBob and Patrick become visible again.]
‣ Strip Tease - David Farnon [The ending]
- This episode is available on The Seascape Capers DVD and VHS, Complete 3rd Season, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, The Third & Fourth Seasons, First 100 Episodes, and Complete Third Season DVDs.
- Although this episode premiered in 2004, it was made in 2002 according to the credits.
- It was also the last episode produced in that year.
- It is also the last episode to be produced until the series was went back into production two years later when the next episode was produced in 2004.
- This episode aired in Germany on Friday, September 26, 2003, before it aired in the United States.
- This episode was available on The Seascape Capers DVD and VHS 10 months before it aired on American television.
- This episode premiered in Canada on Friday, November 12, 2004.
- This was the last episode to premiere in 2004.
- This was the last episode to air before The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released in North America.
- Also this was supposed to be the last episode produced for the series, before the release of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie in November 2004. Once the film was completed, Stephen Hillenburg wanted to end the series "so the show wouldn't jump the shark," but Nickelodeon wanted to do more episodes.
- This is the last episode until "Lost in Bikini Bottom" from season 9 to have Stephen Hillenburg credited as the executive producer.
- This is the last episode to have Derek Drymon, Kent Osborne, and Merriwether Williams' names seen in the opening credits.
- In the Brazilian dubbing, the line "Fake vomit? Real vomit?" is changed to "Gosta disso? Coisas sem forma?" ("Do you like this? Shapeless things?")
- In Sweden, "Invisible Spray" is "Spöke Färg" ("Ghost Color").
- In the Latin Spanish dubbing, this is the last episode where Paul Gillman voiced Patrick due to his focus on his music career.
- This marks the only episode in season 3 to feature Sandy's treedome.
- In Germany, this episode is titled "Die Geister von Bikini Bottom," which translates to "The Ghosts of Bikini Bottom."
- Mr. Krabs' ghost prevention good-luck charms include having his underwear tied in a Melvit knot.
- A Melvit knot is used to hold a sail to a sailboat.
- In Spanish and Indonesian, the fish who says "Toast" says "Ghost;"(In Indonesian, Toast means "Roti Panggang" and "Ghost" means "Hantu") in the Filipino dub he says "Want some?;" in the Hebrew version, he says "Sandwich;" in Korean, he says "What's that?;" in Polish, he says "Crunchy."
- Also, in the Indonesian version, SpongeBob does not say "We'll go spray the park bench and then sit on it;" he says, "We'll go spray ourselves and let the show begin!," which makes many people confused.
- The specter deflector and the escape pod to Texas have incidentally been seen on two other Nickelodeon shows, Danny Phantom and The Fairly OddParents, respectively.
- The novelty items Frank offers to SpongeBob are:
- In Dutch, this episode is titled "Top of the fops" (fop means prank in Dutch), which is a pun of a British music program called Top of The Pops.
- On the Dutch version of the Seascape Capers DVD, this episode is listed as "SpongeBob is onzichtbaar" (SpongeBob is invisible) instead of that title.
- On the Seascape Capers DVD episode selection screen, it mentions that another name for this episode is "Naked Pants."
- This title is also seen on Digiturk listings.
- This episode is also listed as "Pranks a Lot (AKA Naked Pants)" on Amazon Video.
- The Krusty Krab's layout differs from other episodes. Notably, the restroom is located where Mr. Krabs' office usually is.
- The puns that SpongeBob and Patrick say while spraying each other with the Invisible Spray are:
- "I gotta hand it to you!" (Patrick sprays SpongeBob's right hand.)
- "Kind of gives you an empty feeling, huh?" (SpongeBob sprays Patrick's chest.)
- "I see what you mean!" (Patrick sprays SpongeBob's left eye.)
- "No guts, no glory!" (SpongeBob sprays Patrick's gut.)
- The toys that are featured in title card:
- X-Ray glasses ($1.00)
- U-Control 7-Foot Life-Size Ghost (95 cents)
- Joy buzzer (25 cents)
- Secret Spy Scope (Unknown price)
- Greedy Fingers Bank ($2.45)
- Secret Pocket Pen (Unknown price)
- Phony Cast (4.81)
- Various amount of unknown toys.
- This is the first episode where Mrs. Puff deflates.
- Since SpongeBob and Patrick glued the door shut, none of the people they scared should have been able to get into the restaurant. It could be possible that they were able to find tools needed to remove the glue.
- Mr. Krabs had a gold necklace that reads "Foxy" in this episode.
- Even though most of the words in the newspaper surrounding the article about Mr. Krabs are not real words, the following can be made out: (by line)
- On the left-column: "was in," "in the," "can not," "world," "are," skip two lines, "I was in," "in," "I can not," skip two lines, "then he I," "so down I," "happen I," "of the," "said what," "equipped," "then he I," "so down I," "happen I" "way of the," "said what," "equipped," skip two lines, "He I was in," "down in the," "I can not," "of the world," "what are," skip two lines, "He I was in," "down in the," and "I can not."
- On the upper column: "So then," skip a line, "it be the way," "and then He I was in So then he said what are," "are in the way of the west," "out their the way of the we how," and "bacon, eggs, and toast. With the same energy" (skip two words) "so is a" (skip one word) "that."
- On the bottom-left column: Skip two lines, "and then He I was in," "I wasn't in so down in the," "how did it happen, I can not," "it be the way of the world," "So then he said what are," skip two lines, "and the He I was in," "I wasn't in so down in the," and "happen, I can not."
- On the bottom-middle column: Skip two lines, "and then He I," ""I wasn't in so down I," "how did it happen, I," "it be the way," "So then he said what," and "equipped."
- On the bottom-right column: Skip two lines "In the door, but I," "he village is so," "not say but how," skip a line, "you are in or out," "much stuff I," "out the disk," "mankind or crab kind" (kind is cut off to only show "ki"), "how," "so is a" (skip a word) "that," skip two lines, "and then He"
- On the right column: Skip a line, "I wasn't" ("wasn't" is cut off to show "wasn'"), "how," "it be," "So the," "boat," skip a line, "I was," "how," "it be," "So," "boat," skip two lines, "in," and "he"
- The words "leprechaun" and "hippopotamus" are also in the article, but they are misspelled.
- Mr. Krabs could have taken out the toilet paper in the toilets and then escaped.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Psikus za psikus" or "A Prank for a Prank."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Najbolja Psina" or "The Best Prank."
- "Grass Skirt Chase" plays in this episode, but only the last few notes as well as slightly sped up.
- The episode's name is a pun on the phrase "Thanks a lot."
- Coincidentally, the phrase it is parodying is said in the episode when SpongeBob says "Thanks a lot, Patrick, you used the last of it."
- The scene at the Palace of Pranks is a tribute to Pee-wee's Big Adventure and even uses the "Fake vomit? Real Vomit?" joke from that show.
- SpongeBob's gag Seanut Brittle can is a parody of snake nut can.
- Mr. Krabs' line "I ain't afraid of no ghosts" is the same as the lyrics of the original song, "Ghostbusters" from the 1984 film of the same name.
- The title card design is a reference to old-fashioned newspaper ads for pranks.
- When SpongeBob asks Nat Peterson what time it is, he says that it is 10 to 3 (2:50). However, the closed captions say that it is 3:00.
- In Bahasa Indonesia, instead of saying it is 10 to 3, Nat says it is 10:03.
- When Sandy is frightened by the "ghosts," her escape pod breaks the treedome. The dome is not flooded with water and is fixed in the next shot.
- SpongeBob and Patrick are not wearing their water helmets when they are in Sandy's treedome. Additionally, bubbles appear when Sandy removes their sheets and when she opens and closes the door to her escape pod.
- When Mr. Krabs is inside of the Krusty Krab, the windows have blinds. In subsequent scenes, the blinds are gone.
- When the Invisible Spray washes off Patrick, his belly button reappears and disappears.
- Mr. Krabs splashes a bucket of water on SpongeBob and Patrick to wash off the paint, despite the fact that they live underwater. Even while surfing, the water does not wash off their paint.
- When Frank is holding the Invisible Spray, at the bottom of it reads "danger." However, in every other shot of the Invisible Spray, the "danger" label is missing.
- After Mr. Krabs throws water on SpongeBob and Patrick, SpongeBob's shoes and socks are visible, despite the fact that the Invisible Spray stains clothes. When SpongeBob explains that fact, he says "paint" instead of "spray."
- Also, the Invisible Spray is occasionally referred to as "paint."
- When Mr. Krabs grabs SpongeBob and Patrick, the dollar in Patrick's hand disappears.
- Mr. Krabs says that he has taped the hairs on the back of his neck down. When he is fleeing from the "ghosts," there is no tape on his neck.
- If the Krusty Krab contained all of the people SpongeBob and Patrick scared, it would have been completely filled and went past its capacity.
- Additionally, the people were able to enter the Krusty Krab, although everything was prevented from entering or exiting the Krusty Krab.
- The toilet in the Krusty Krab restroom through which Mr. Krabs tries to swim is out in plain sight and not hidden by a divider.
- SpongeBob actually sprays Patrick in the crotch when he says "No guts, no glory."
- The Invisible Spray makes SpongeBob and Patrick completely invisible, but when Patrick belches after finishing Mrs. Puff's cake, his mouth is clearly seen, being wiped with a napkin.
- When the crowd are cheering at SpongeBob and Patrick who were naked, in the scene with Mrs. Puff and Sandy, Sandy whistles through her helmet.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick turn visible, SpongeBob has more holes on the bottom of his head, and remains like that for the rest of the episode.
- In the German dub, during the montage of various people screaming "Ghosts!" (German: Geister!), Francis has a female voice.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards