- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Frankie Billy
- Frank (red shirt)
- Debbie Rechid
- Karen Plankton
- Guard worm
- Elderly snail (cameo)
- Patrick Star (cameo)
- Rock monster (debut)
- Spot (debut)
- Other animal shelter pets
- Nat Peterson
- Abigail Marge
- Jimmy Gus
- Sea monkey
- Sea urchins
The episode begins in the Krusty Krab, where a man gets a Krabby Patty, but then a baby comes and takes the patty. Everyone thinks it is cute, but Mr. Krabs is able to see Plankton inside the baby. Mr. Krabs starts beating him up, but because everybody thinks it is a real baby, they were all outraged. Then Mr. Krabs rips off the head, revealing Plankton inside a baby robot. Mr. Krabs puts the head back on and launches him back to the Chum Bucket.Karen then took off the diaper and puts it in the trash where Plankton walks out. Karen told him that he should get a pet and SpongeBob, who just happened to hear their conversation, decided to help him look for a pet. At the animal shelter, Plankton sees a guard worm, an old gross snail, and even Patrick. Plankton almost gets swallowed by a pet, but then an amoeba saves his life. Plankton chooses the amoeba as his pet and decides to call him Spot.
At the Chum Bucket, Plankton teaches Spot some tricks like stay, sit, and roll over. Then he teaches him how to steal a Krabby Patty. Plankton was not finished talking when Spot left to the Krusty Krab, unseen, to get a Krabby Patty. When Spot comes back, Plankton is rapt, thinking he finally won but is then enraged when Spot eats the Krabby Patty in one bite. He punishes Spot by tying his leash to the mailbox. Seconds later, Plankton feels bad, but when he runs back outside he finds Spot's leash, with no amoeba to be seen.
Plankton then goes out to find him, with SpongeBob's help. Soon, they stumble upon the shelter, then go inside. It is very dark inside so SpongeBob tries to find the light switch. There are two switches, so SpongeBob turns on both. One turns on the lights, and the other opened the pens. The guard worm, sea monkey, and sea urchin all chase SpongeBob and Plankton. When they lose the animals, Plankton realizes Spot had been on his optical cornea (his eye) the whole time. The other pets then find Plankton and SpongeBob again so Spot tries to scare them off. The animals laugh at Spot because he is so small but then he grows about a hundred times bigger and easily scares the animals away.
Plankton then decides he is going to keep Spot and was sorry he yelled at him.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [baby appears and takes a Krabby Patty]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [the baby's really Plankton in disguise]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Stop right there!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'll always be one step... ahead."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [Krabs is beat up]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [baby cries]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - "Stop patronizing me."
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [animal shelter]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [tongue grabs Plankton]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn [Plankton is saved by Spot]
‣ Cute and Lovable - Phil Green ["Hey there, little guy!"]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Spot doing tricks]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess our legs are too short for walkies."]
‣ The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [playing fetch]
‣ Fates [#62] - Gregor F. Narholz [Spot is squished]
‣ The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Nice rebound, Spot!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [transition to next scene]
‣ Dachshund Walk - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Spot brings Plankton a Krabby Patty]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Holy plot twist!"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["It's a miracle!"]
‣ Hop and Skip - Phil Green [Spot eats the Krabby Patty]
‣ Great Moments - Gregor F. Narholz ["Spot, I'm sorry."]
‣ Tragic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [Spot is missing]
‣ Tragic Embrace - Peter Orm, Paul Orm ["Spot, come back!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Aww..."]
‣ Tragic Embrace - Peter Orm, Paul Orm [Plankton looking for Spot]
‣ Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Let's find your pet."]
‣ Agitation [#90] - Phil Green [SpongeBob asking people if they've seen Spot]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I've been looking everywhere for this!"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 9 - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Plankton arrive to the animal shelter.]
‣ Clowning Around - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Plankton enter into the animal shelter]
‣ Killer on the Run (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [animals are loose]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["A double what?"]
‣ Great Moments 30 - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton finds Spot]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [animals approaching SpongeBob and Plankton]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [Spot barks at the animals]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode was released on iTunes on May 25, 2013.
- This episode is available on the Bikini Bottom's Most Wanted and The Complete Ninth Season DVDs.
- As of September 26, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 116 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.2/10 based on 16 votes.
- Although this episode premiered in 2013, it was produced in 2012 according to the credits.
- The baby Plankton impersonated is similar to the one in "Free Samples."
- Before this episode premiered, there was a marathon of pet episodes including "Have You Seen This Snail?," "The Thing," "Wormy," "Dumped," "Pet or Pests," and others.
- In the title card, a picture of an amoeba can be seen, which implies the appearance of Spot in the episode.
- This episode was paired with "Gary in Love" when it premiered.
- SpongeBob mentions that he got Gary from the animal shelter. This is true, because in "Treats!," Gary showed SpongeBob a baby picture of him, and SpongeBob claims it was when he got him from the pound.
- Plankton breaks the fourth wall in this episode by saying "Holy plot twist!" when Spot gets the Krabby Patty. However, in Russian version, he says "Oh my Neptune!". It is unknown why it was done.
- When Plankton takes Spot for a walk, he tires over walking a long distance in comparison to his height. Yet, when he ties him to the mailbox post, he does not tire from the walk to and from said mailbox post. In fact, he even makes both the trips in record time for his size.
- When Spot multiplies into a large organism, this is through a process of cellular division known as mitosis, where a cell makes a replication or clone of itself.
- In Greece, this episode premiered on June 28, 2013.
- The amoeba on the title card looks similar to the old Nickelodeon logo.
- In the Hebrew version of this episode, there were no words on the title card.
- This episode takes place before or after "Grooming Gary" because Mrs. Squiggles is at the animal shelter. If it is before then her owner got her after Plankton got Spot or said owner released her to them.
- This episode premiered nine years after "Plankton's Army" and "Missing Identity."
- In the pound, Patrick is in one of the cages. Ironically enough, this was the same year he was nominated for Best Animal Sidekick in the 2014 Kids' Choice Awards and he won.
- This is Karen's last appearance in her wall form so far.
- There is an episode of Phineas and Ferb called "Spa Day" that is outwardly similar to this one. In the aforementioned episode, the People of Danville say "Awww!," which made Doofensmirtz ask "Don't you people have jobs?," similar to how the people of Bikini Bottom saying "Awww!" and Plankton saying the same thing in response.
- Spot's ability to change his size and shape is very similar to that of Jake the Dog from Adventure Time.
- When SpongeBob flips the switch that opens the animal pens, the sea urchin was in the third pen and the guard worm was in the second pen. Later, when Spot scares the animals back into their pens, the sea urchin goes into the second pen and the guard worm goes into the third pen.
- When Spot is in the Krusty Krab and SpongeBob opens the kitchen door, for some reason, SpongeBob's mouth is moving but no dialogue is heard.
- Right as Plankton (who was still in his baby disguise) was about to land in front of the Chum Bucket after being kicked out of the Krusty Krab by Mr. Krabs, the road that usually connects to the Krusty Krab is not there.
- In Israel, the episode's name is not shown.
- This occurs in numerous season 9 episodes in that country.
- Fish saying "Awww!" to Plankton.