- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Incidental 40
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 64
- Debbie Rechid
- Incidental 46
- Karen Plankton
- Gary the Snail (mentioned)
- Guard worm
- Elderly snail (cameo)
- Patrick Star (cameo)
- Rock monster (debut)
- Spot (debut)
- Other animal shelter pets
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 27
- Sea monkey
- Sea urchins
At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob says "Order up!" meaning he finished a Krabby Patty and Squidward gives a male fish the Patty, but then a baby comes and takes the patty. Everyone thinks it is cute, but an alarm alerts Mr. Krabs in his office and sees Plankton inside the baby using a periscope. Mr. Krabs stops Plankton from leaving with the Krabby Patty, but Plankton tries to escape with the patty, but before he retreats, Mr. Krabs starts beating him up, but believing that the baby Krabs is assaulting is really a baby, Everybody was all outraged. Then Mr. Krabs rips off the head, causing two fish to faint, but Mr. Krabs reveals Plankton inside a baby robot, so a male fish scolds plankton for toying with everybody's emotions and pokes him in the eye, Mr. Krabs puts the head back on and launches Plankton back to the Chum Bucket. Three women notice this and assault Mr. Krabs, shocked that Krabs would do such a thing.
Plankton in a robot baby falls into the doors to the Chum Bucket, then he cries, but Karen picks him up and he tells her that the Krabby Patty is wearing him down, Karen then takes off the diaper and puts it in the trash where Plankton walks out. Karen tells him that he should get a pet, and SpongeBob, who just happened to hear their conversation, decides to help him look for a pet. At the animal shelter, Plankton sees a guard worm, an old gross snail, and even Patrick. Plankton almost gets swallowed by a pet, but then an amoeba saves his life. Plankton chooses the amoeba as his pet and decides to call him Spot.
At the Chum Bucket, Plankton teaches Spot some tricks like stay, sit, and roll over. Then he teaches him how to steal a Krabby Patty. Plankton is not finished talking when Spot leaves to the Krusty Krab, unseen, to get a Krabby Patty. When Spot comes back, Plankton is rapt, thinking he finally won, but is then enraged when Spot eats the Krabby Patty in one bite. He punishes Spot by tying his leash to the mailbox. Seconds later, Plankton feels bad, but when he runs back outside he finds Spot's leash, with no amoeba to be seen.
Plankton then goes out to find him with SpongeBob's help. Soon, they stumble upon the shelter, then go inside. It is very dark inside, so SpongeBob tries to find the light switch. There are two switches, so SpongeBob turns on both. One turns on the lights and the other opened the pens. The guard worm, sea monkey, and sea urchin all chase SpongeBob and Plankton. When they lose the animals, Plankton realizes Spot had been on his optical cornea (his eye) the whole time. The other pets then find Plankton and SpongeBob again, so Spot tries to scare them off. The animals laugh at Spot because he is so small, but then he grows about a hundred times bigger and easily scares the animals away.
Plankton then decides he is going to keep Spot and is sorry he yelled at him, as the episode ends.
- Fish saying "Awww!" to Plankton.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Toy Piano 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [baby appears and takes a Krabby Patty]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [the baby's really Plankton in disguise]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Stop right there!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17C - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'll always be one step... ahead."]
‣ Dramatic Impact (2) - Ivor Slaney [Krabs is beat up]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 24C - Jeremy Wakefield [baby cries]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Stop patronizing me."]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [animal shelter]
‣ Drama Link (B) - Hubert Clifford [tongue grabs Plankton]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn [Plankton is saved by Spot]
‣ Cute and Lovable - Phil Green ["Hey there, little guy!"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Spot doing tricks]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2B - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess our legs are too short for walkies."]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [playing fetch]
‣ Fates [#62] - Gregor F. Narholz [Spot is squished]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Nice rebound, Spot!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [transition to next scene]
‣ Dachshund Walk - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Spot brings Plankton a Krabby Patty]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Holy plot twist!"]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["It's a miracle!"]
‣ Hop and Skip - Phil Green [Spot eats the Krabby Patty]
‣ Great Moments - Gregor F. Narholz ["Spot, I'm sorry."]
‣ Tragic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [Spot is missing]
‣ Tragic Embrace - Peter Orm, Paul Orm ["Spot, come back!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9C - Jeremy Wakefield ["Aww..."]
‣ Tragic Embrace - Peter Orm, Paul Orm [Plankton looking for Spot]
‣ Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Let's find your pet."]
‣ Agitation [#90] - Phil Green [SpongeBob asking people if they've seen Spot]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5A - Jeremy Wakefield ["I've been looking everywhere for this!"]
• Clowning Around Again Short - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Plankton arrive to the animal shelter.]
• Clowning Around - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Plankton enter into the animal shelter]
‣ Killer On The Run A - Gregor F. Narholz [animals are loose]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["A double what?"]
‣ Great Moments 30 - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton finds Spot]
‣ From The Dead - Ronald Hanmer [animals approaching SpongeBob and Plankton]
‣ Dramatic Cue (G) - Ronald Hanmer [Spot barks at the animals]
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode was released on iTunes on May 25, 2013.
- This episode is available on the Bikini Bottom's Most Wanted, Bizarro Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 15, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Complete Ninth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- The baby Plankton impersonated is similar to the one in "Free Samples."
- Before this episode premiered, there was a marathon of pet episodes including "Have You Seen This Snail?," "The Thing," "Wormy," "Dumped," "Pet or Pests," and other episodes.
- In the title card, a picture of an amoeba can be seen, which implies the appearance of Spot in the episode.
- This episode was paired with "Gary in Love" when it premiered, but since it has re-airing with "Safe Deposit Krabs."
- SpongeBob mentions that he got Gary from the animal shelter. This is true, because in "Treats!," Gary showed SpongeBob a baby picture of him, and SpongeBob claims it was when he got him from the pound.
- SpongeBob mentioned that he lost Gary for 8 minutes. He mentioned that Gary was alone, cold and starving. There hasn't been a scene yet in the series that shows it.
- When Plankton takes Spot for a walk, he tires over walking a long distance in comparison to his height. Yet, when he ties him to the mailbox post, he does not tire from the walk to and from said mailbox post. In fact, he even makes both the trips in record time for his size.
- Plankton breaks the fourth wall by shouting, "Holy plot twist!" when Spot brings him a Krabby Patty.
- When Spot multiplies into a large organism, this is through a process of the cellular division known as mitosis, where a cell makes a replication or clone of itself.
- The amoeba on the title card looks similar to the old Nickelodeon logo.
- The definition of an "emotional outburst" which Plankton claims to have had after accidentally squishing Spot with a tennis ball (and relating to him) is commonly associated with emotional instability; something Plankton possibly experiences (though not to the point of being mentally ill) due to constant frustration with being stepped on all the time. Although emotional outbursts are commonly associated with anger, something Plankton commonly experiences, this implies that Spot might be bringing out pent-up sadness beneath the anger, hence an "emotional outburst" of sadness.
- In the Hebrew version of this episode, the title card was originally textless. However, it was later fixed.
- Mrs. Squiggles from "Grooming Gary" is at the animal shelter despite already being established to have an owner.
- In the pound, Patrick is in one of the cages. Ironically enough, this was the same year he was nominated for Best Animal Sidekick in the 2014 Kids' Choice Awards and he won.
- This is Karen's last major appearance in her wall form to date; it makes one last cameo in "Don't Wake Patrick."
- On HBO Go, the scene where Incidental 40 pokes Plankton's eye is cut.
- When SpongeBob flips the switch that opens the animal pens, the sea urchin was in the third pen and the guard worm was in the second pen. Later, when Spot scares the animals back into their pens, the sea urchin goes into the second pen and the guard worm goes into the third pen.
- When Spot is in the Krusty Krab and SpongeBob opens the kitchen door, for some reason, SpongeBob's mouth is moving but no dialogue is heard.
- Right as Plankton in his baby disguise was about to land in front of the Chum Bucket after being kicked out of the Krusty Krab by Mr. Krabs, the road that usually connects to the Krusty Krab is not there.
- In Israel, the episode's name is not shown.
- This occurs in numerous season 9 episodes in that country.