"Plankton's Old Chum" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season twelve. In this episode, when Plankton's usual spot to dump his rotten chum is too full, he tricks SpongeBob into hiding it around the city.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Chumta Claus (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Patrick Star (2 cameos)
- Mrs. Puff
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Pearl Krabs (cameo in photo, very small)
- Gary the Snail
- Afro fish (cameo in photo)
- Andy Yellowtail
- French Narrator
- Bikini Bottomites
- Business man fish (debut)
- Man fish (debut)
- Woman fish (debut)
- Woman fish's baby (debut)
- Hat fish (debut)
The episode begins with Karen and Plankton counting down to when the chum goes bad. Then Plankton drives a huge barrel of old chum to the place where he usually dumps it, but when Plankton opens it, he realizes that it is already filled to the top, so he begins to look for other places. He tries the well, but it is also clogged.
Along the way, Plankton accidentally stumbles upon SpongeBob, who is walking with Gary. SpongeBob spots a barrel of chum and asked what it is for. Plankton replies that it is for a holiday called Chum Day. On this day, the fish supposedly give each other chum. Then SpongeBob agrees to help Plankton make "gifts" in the city, much to his delight. The two of them go to Mr. Krabs' house, where they pour chum under the carpet. Then they start to spread chum everywhere until they finally say goodbye.
On the way home, SpongeBob sees that the streets of Bikini Bottom are flooded with chum. The angry residents quickly run to Plankton and want to beat him, but SpongeBob, in a Santa hat, starts to tell and sing about the day of chum.
Then the fish are happy and proceed to celebrate, but the sanitary inspector gives Plankton a fine and forces him to eat all the spilled chum for the safety of the citizens.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton and Karen counting down]
‣ Stealth - Max Saunders [Rotten chum scattered all over the Chum Bucket]
‣ Charlie's Bike C - Peter Balding, Otto Sieben [Karen orders Plankton to get rid of the rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Club E - Laurent Dury [Plankton is stunned after rotten chum burps at him]
‣ Apples and Pears - Bruce Campbell [Plankton goes outside the Chum Bucket carrying a tank full of chum]
‣ Comedy Club C - Laurent Dury [Plankton reads a sign that forbids dumping chum]
‣ Crazy People E - Laurent Dury [Plankton sprays chum on the sign]
‣ Stealth - Max Saunders [Plankton dumps rotten chum in the sewer]
‣ Mischief Makers - Gilbert Vinter [Plankton struggles to move the sewer cover]
‣ Musette Madeleine - Roland Kovac [Plankton paints a sewer cover over the dumped chum]
‣ Buffoonery - Van Phillips [Plankton walks to a wishing well that is already filled with chum]
‣ Comedy Club E - Laurent Dury [Plankton gets an idea]
‣ Crazy People E - Laurent Dury [Plankton flips a coin into the well]
‣ Tristesse - Gerhard Trede [Plankton leaves the well]
‣ A Christmas Fairy - Otto Sieben [Sparkles come out from the well]
‣ Wait for It - Van Phillips [Plankton approaches the snail park with the chum tank]
‣ Hide and Seek C - Laurent Dury [Tank's hose is inserted into SpongeBob's body]
‣ Stars and Games [#17.2] - Alf Saro [Rotten chum sprayed through SpongeBob's pores]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer ["Wait a minute, what is this? Chum?"]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [Plankton tells SpongeBob that the chum is actually new]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 1 - Fredric Bayco ["Chum Day?"]
‣ ? ["Tell me about Chum Day. What's it like, what do you do?"]
‣ Cool Cats - Max Saunders [Gary goes home in a car]
‣ Sneaking Around - Peter Challis, Marc Teitler [SpongeBob asking Plankton about Chum Day]
‣ A Christmas Fairy - Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Plankton spray rotten chum in Krabs' house]
‣ Even More Comical Cuts 1-5 - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Plankton spray chum in Patrick's house and then into a guy's hat]
‣ Luv a Duck - Marc Monsen, Tony Tape [SpongeBob and Plankton spraying chum all over citizens' houses]
‣ ? [Plankton looks around]
‣ Comedy Club F - Laurent Dury [Plankton laughs]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 8 - Fredric Bayco ["What time is it?"]
‣ Alone and Lost - Norman Dane [SpongeBob tries to hide more chum in a sewer]
‣ Murder Scene - Alan Wynn [Rotten chum scattered all over Bikini Bottom]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [Flakes of chum cover the town like snowflakes]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 8 - Fredric Bayco [Mother forbids her baby from eating the chum]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 6 - Fredric Bayco [Citizens complaining about the chum]
‣ ? [Everyone's angry at Plankton]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 6 - Fredric Bayco ["Your chum made me dumb!"]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 1 - Fredric Bayco ["You were already dumb."]
‣ ? [Citizens about to punch Plankton]
• Carol of the Chum - Eban Schletter [SpongeBob appears skating on the chum]
‣ ? ["We shouldn't be fighting, it's Chum Day."]
• Chum Day SpongeBob - Kaz Prapuolenis, Eban Schletter [SpongeBob sings]
‣ Waiting for Santa Claus B - Gregor Narholz [Kids playing in chum]
‣ ? [Everyone cheers in excitement]
‣ Waiting for Santa Claus B - Gregor Narholz [Everyone celebrating Chum Day]
‣ Code "Dead End" - Gregor Narholz ["Wait a minute, Chum Day? That's disgusting!"]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [Plankton tells everyone he invented Chum Day]
‣ Death in the City - Jack Beaver [Health inspector appears]
‣ Finger of Suspicion - Max Saunders [Health inspector fines Plankton with $1,000,000,000]
‣ The Waiting Game - Alan Wynn [The inspector tells Plankton he can eat all the chum to avoid the fine]
‣ Dismal Gloom - Wilfred Burns ["Isn't there anyone that knows the true meaning of Chum Day?!"]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [SpongeBob explains the true meaning of Chum Day]
‣ Vacation A - Kapono Beamer, Mac Prindy [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20 DVD.
- This episode was paired up with "The Hankering" during the original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "Stormy Weather."
- Coincidentally, both episodes consist of Bikini Bottom residents hiding chum from someone.
- In production order, this and the previous episode "King Plankton" both have Plankton's name in the title.
- The photo of Pearl in the Krabs house was redrawn for this episode and just resembles blobs of her colors.
- In Mrs. Puff's house, a photo of Mr. Krabs is seen hanging on the wall, referencing their ongoing relationship.
- The scene where SpongeBob says, "No peeking!" is featured in a promo for "The Krusty Bucket."
- A fish version of the mayor from the Broadway musical makes her debut in this episode.
- In this episode, Plankton's chum is light brown and resembles dirt. In other episodes, it is more reddish with visible body parts in it. This is meant to represent the fact that the chum is rotten.
- This episode is revealed to be the 3rd one produced in Season 12 (1203), as the letters on its script, XXXXXXXXX XXX XXXX, have the exact same letters in the title of this episode. Despite it being the third one produced, this and "Stormy Weather" are actually 5th ones in production order.
- When SpongeBob says, "I bet he has visions of sugar chums dancing in his head," it is a reference to one of the lines from the classic poem, A Visit from St. Nicholas, where children have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads.
- Chum Day is a reference to the holiday Christmas.
- The scene where SpongeBob explains the meaning of Chum Day is a reference to the 1965 Christmas special, A Charlie Brown Christmas.
- When Squidward asks Morty what day it is, it is a reference to Ebenezer Scrooge asking the boy what day it is in Charles Dickens' novel, A Christmas Carol.
- When SpongeBob mentioned chumnog, a chum-chum tree, chummen, chum-sicles, chum lights, and chum carols, they are references to the traditional Christmas drink eggnog, the Christmas tree, snowmen, icicles, Christmas lights, and Christmas carols.