"Plankton's Old Chum" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season twelve. In this episode, when Plankton's usual spot to dump his rotten chum is too full, he tricks SpongeBob into hiding it around the city.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Chumta Claus (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Patrick Star (2 cameos)
- Mrs. Puff
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Pearl Krabs (cameo in photo, very small)
- Gary the Snail
- Afro fish (cameo in photo)
- Andy Yellowtail
- French Narrator
- Bikini Bottomites
- Business man fish (debut)
- Man fish (debut)
- Woman fish (debut)
- Woman fish's baby (debut)
The episode begins with Karen and Plankton counting down to when the chum goes bad. Then Plankton drives a huge barrel of old chum to the place where he usually dumps it, but when Plankton opens it, he realizes that it is already filled to the top, so he begins to look for other places. He tries the well, but it is also clogged.Along the way, Plankton accidentally stumbles upon SpongeBob, who is walking with Gary. SpongeBob spots a barrel of chum and asked what it is for. Plankton replies that it is for a holiday called Chum Day. On this day, the fish supposedly give each other chum. Then SpongeBob agrees to help Plankton make "gifts" in the city, much to his delight. The two of them go to Mr. Krabs' house, where they pour chum under the carpet. Then they start to spread chum everywhere, until they finally say "goodbye."
On the way home, SpongeBob sees that the streets of Bikini Bottom are flooded with chum. The angry residents quickly run to Plankton and want to beat him, but SpongeBob, in a Santa hat, starts to tell and sing about the day of chum. Then the fish are happy and proceed to celebrate, but the sanitary inspector forces Plankton to eat all the spilled chum for the safety of the citizens.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton and Karen counting down]
‣ Stealth - Max Saunders [Rotten chum scattered all over the Chum Bucket]
‣ Charlie's Bike C - Peter Balding, Otto Sieben [Karen orders Plankton to get rid of the rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Club E - Laurent Dury [Plankton is stunned after rotten chum burps at him]
‣ Apples and Pears - Bruce Campbell [Plankton goes outside the Chum Bucket carrying a tank full of rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Club C - Laurent Dury [Plankton reads a sign that forbids dumping chum]
‣ Crazy People E - Laurent Dury ["Eat chum, sign!!"]
‣ Stealth - Max Saunders [Plankton dumps rotten chum in the sewer]
‣ Mischief Makers - Gilbert Vinter [Plankton struggles to move the sewer cover]
‣ Musette Madeleine - Roland Kovac [Plankton paints a sewer cover over the dumped rotten chum]
‣ Buffoonery - Van Phillips [Plankton arrives at a wishing well that's already filled with rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Club E - Laurent Dury [Plankton gets an idea]
‣ Crazy People E - Laurent Dury [Plankton flips a coin into the wishing well]
‣ Tristesse - Gerhard Trede [Plankton leaves the wishing well]
‣ A Christmas Fairy - Otto Sieben [Sparkles come out from the wishing well ]
‣ Wait for It - Van Phillips [Plankton arrives with the rotten chum tank outside the snail park]
‣ Hide and Seek C - Laurent Dury [Tank's hose is inserted into SpongeBob's body]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [Rotten chum sprayed through SpongeBob's pores all over the snail park]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer ["Wait a minute, what is this? Chum?"]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [Plankton tells SpongeBob that the rotten chum is actually new chum]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 1 - Fredric Bayco ["Chum Day?"]
‣ ? ["Tell me about Chum Day. What's it like, what do you do?"]
‣ Cool Cats - Max Saunders [Gary goes home in a car]
‣ Sneaking Around - Peter Challis, Marc Teitler [SpongeBob asking Plankton about Chum Day]
‣ A Christmas Fairy - Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Plankton spray rotten chum in Krabs' house]
‣ Even More Comical Cuts 1-5 - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Plankton spray rotten chum in Patrick's house/SpongeBob and Plankton spray rotten chum into a guy's hat]
‣ Luv a Duck - Marc Monsen, Tony Tape [SpongeBob and Plankton spraying rotten chum all over citizens' houses]
‣ ? [Plankton looking around]
‣ Comedy Club F - Laurent Dury [Plankton laughs]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 8 - Fredric Bayco ["What time is it?"]
‣ Alone and Lost - Norman Dane [SpongeBob tries to hide more chum]
‣ Murder Scene - Alan Wynn [Rotten chum scattered all over Bikini Bottom]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [Flakes of rotten chum fall from the sky and cover Bikini Bottom]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 8 - Fredric Bayco [Mother forbids her baby from eating the rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 6 - Fredric Bayco [Citizens complaining about the rotten chum]
‣ ? [Everyone's angry at Plankton]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 6 - Fredric Bayco ["Your chum made me dumb!"]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 1 - Fredric Bayco ["You were already dumb."]
‣ ? [Citizens about to punch Plankton]
• Carol of the Chum - Eban Schletter [SpongeBob appears skating on the rotten chum]
‣ ? ["We shouldn't be fighting, it's Chum Day."]
• Chum Day (song) - Eban Schletter [SpongeBob sings]
‣ Waiting for Santa Claus B - Gregor Narholz [Kids playing in rotten chum]
‣ ? [Everyone cheers in excitement]
‣ Waiting for Santa Claus B - Gregor Narholz [Everyone celebrating Chum Day]
‣ Code "Dead End" - Gregor Narholz ["Wait a minute, Chum Day? That's disgusting!"]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [Plankton telling everyone he invented Chum Day]
‣ Death in the City - Jack Beaver [Health inspector appears]
‣ Finger of Suspicion - Max Saunders [Health inspector fines Plankton with $1,000,000,000]
‣ The Waiting Game - Alan Wynn [Health inspector tells Plankton he can eat all the rotten chum to avoid paying the fine]
‣ Dismal Gloom - Wilfred Burns ["Isn't there anyone that knows the true meaning of Chum Day?!"]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [SpongeBob explaining the true meaning of Chum Day]
‣ Vacation A - Kapono Beamer, Mac Prindy [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20 DVD.
- When this episode premiered in the United States, it was paired up with "The Hankering."
- Coincidentally, both episodes have to do with chum.
- This episode aired in 4 different countries before being aired in the USA.
- This episode premiered in Italy on June 15 2019 5 months before being in the USA
- This episode premiered in Poland in September 4 2019 2 months before being aired in the USA.
- This episode premiered in Russia from a description service in September 13 2019, until it aired officially in October 19 2019 a month before being aired in the USA.
- This episode premiered in Norway on November 28 2019 2 days before being aired in the USA.
- The photo of Pearl in the Krabs house was redrawn for this episode and just resembles blobs of her colors.
- This episode premiered 18 years after "Procrastination" and "I'm with Stupid" premiered.
- In Mrs. Puff's house, a photo of Mr. Krabs is seen hanging on the wall, referencing their ongoing relationship.
- A fish version of the mayor from the Broadway musical makes her debut in this episode. She is the third mayor of Bikini Bottom to appear, after the original mayor and Mr. Mayor.
- In this episode, Plankton's chum is light brown and resembles dirt. In other episodes, it is more reddish with visible body parts in it. This is meant to represent the fact that the chum is rotten.
- This episode was leaked on a Russian subscription service called "ivi.ru" on September 13, 2019, before the official Russian premiere.
- This episode accidentally premiered in Russia on October 19, 2019 with a re-run of "Stormy Weather" instead of the supposed premiere of "Swamp Mates" and "One Trick Sponge."
- This episode marks the first time "Stars and Games" plays since "SpongeGuard on Duty."
- This episode was mistakenly identified as "Stormy Weather" on the "1 Second From Every SpongeBob Episode!" video uploaded by the SpongeBob SquarePants Official YouTube channel.
- The scene where SpongeBob says, "No peeking!" is featured in a promo for "The Krusty Bucket".
- This episode is revealed to be the 3rd one produced in Season 12 (1203), as the letters on its script, XXXXXXXXX XXX XXXX, have the exact same letters in the title of this episode. Despite it being the third one produced, this and "Stormy Weather" are actually 5th ones in production order.
- Chum Day is a reference to the holiday Christmas.
- The scene where SpongeBob explains the meaning of Chum Day is a reference to the 1965 Christmas special, A Charlie Brown Christmas.
- When Squidward asks Morty what day it is, it is a reference to Ebenezer Scrooge asking the boy what day it is in Charles Dickens' novel, A Christmas Carol.
- When SpongeBob says, "I bet he has visions of sugar chums dancing in his head," it is a reference to one of the lines from the classic poem, A Visit from St. Nicholas, where children have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads.
- When SpongeBob mentioned chumnog, a chum-chum tree, chummen, chum-sicles, chum lights, and chum carols, they are references to the traditional Christmas drink eggnog, the Christmas tree, snowmen, icicles, Christmas lights, and Christmas carols.