"Plankton's Old Chum" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season twelve. In this episode, when Plankton's usual spot to dump his rotten chum is too full, he tricks SpongeBob into hiding it around the city.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Chumta Claus (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Patrick Star (2 cameos)
- Mrs. Puff
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Pearl Krabs (cameo in photo, very small)
- Gary the Snail
- Afro fish (cameo in photo)
- Andy Yellowtail
- French Narrator
- Bikini Bottomites
- Business man fish (debut)
- Man fish (debut)
- Woman fish (debut)
- Woman fish's baby (debut)
- Hat fish (debut)
- Sled toddler fish (debut)
- Tall blue child fish (debut)
- Short purple child fish (debut)
The episode begins with Karen and Plankton counting down to when the chum goes bad. Then Plankton drives a huge barrel of old chum to the place where he usually dumps it, but when Plankton opens it, he realizes that it is already filled to the top, so he begins to look for other places. He tries the well, but it is also clogged.
Along the way, Plankton accidentally stumbles upon SpongeBob, who is walking with Gary. SpongeBob spots a barrel of chum and asked what it is for. Plankton replies that it is for a holiday called Chum Day. On this day, the fish supposedly give each other chum. Then SpongeBob agrees to help Plankton make "gifts" in the city, much to his delight. The two of them go to Mr. Krabs' house, where they pour chum under the carpet. Then they start to spread chum everywhere until they finally say goodbye.
On the way home, SpongeBob sees that the streets of Bikini Bottom are flooded with chum. The angry residents quickly run to Plankton and want to beat him, but SpongeBob, in a Santa hat, starts to tell and sing about the day of chum.
Then the fish are happy and proceed to celebrate, but the sanitary inspector gives Plankton a fine and forces him to eat all the spilled chum for the safety of the citizens.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Jaunty Whistle - François Delfin, Stephane Huguenin [Title card]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton and Karen counting down]
‣ Stealth - Max Saunders [Rotten chum scattered all over the Chum Bucket]
‣ Charlie's Bike C - Peter Balding, Otto Sieben [Karen orders Plankton to get rid of the rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Club E - Laurent Dury [Plankton is stunned after rotten chum burps at him]
‣ Apples and Pears - Bruce Campbell [Plankton goes outside the Chum Bucket carrying a tank full of rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Club C - Laurent Dury [Plankton reads a sign that forbids dumping chum]
‣ Crazy People E - Laurent Dury [Plankton reads a sign that forbids dumping chum]
‣ Morning After - Bruce Campbell [Plankton sprays the sign]
‣ Comedy Club C - Laurent Dury [The rotten chum falls off of the sign]
‣ Stealth - Max Saunders [Plankton dumps rotten chum in the sewer]
‣ Mischief Makers - Gilbert Vinter [Plankton struggles to move the sewer cover]
‣ Musette Madeleine - Roland Kovac [Plankton paints a sewer cover over the dumped chum]
‣ Buffoonery - Van Phillips [Plankton arrives to the wishing well that is already filled with rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Club E - Laurent Dury [Plankton gets an idea]
‣ Crazy People E - Laurent Dury [Plankton flips a coin into the wishing well and sinks into the rotten chum]
‣ Tristesse - Gerhard Trede [Plankton leaves the wishing well]
‣ A Christmas Fairy - Otto Sieben [Sparkles come out from the wishing well and gets empty of rotten chum]
‣ Wait for It - Van Phillips [Plankton arrives outside the snail park with the rotten chum tank]
‣ Hide and Seek C - Laurent Dury [Tank's hose is inserted into SpongeBob's body]
‣ Stars and Games [#17.2] - Alf Saro [Rotten chum sprayed through SpongeBob's pores all over the snail park]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer ["Wait a minute, what is this? Chum?"]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [Plankton tells SpongeBob that the rotten chum is actually new]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 1 - Fredric Bayco ["Chum Day?"]
‣ ? ["Tell me about Chum Day. What's it like, what do you do?"]
‣ Cool Cats - Max Saunders [Gary goes home in a car]
‣ One Too Many - Clive Richardson [Transition to next scene]
‣ Sneaking Around - Peter Challis, Marc Teitler [SpongeBob asking Plankton about Chum Day]
‣ A Christmas Fairy - Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Plankton spray rotten chum in Krabs' house]
‣ Even More Comical Cuts 1-5 - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Plankton spray rotten chum in Patrick's house/SpongeBob and Plankton spray rotten chum into a guy's hat]
‣ Luv a Duck - Marc Monsen, Tony Tape [SpongeBob and Plankton spraying rotten chum all over citizens' houses]
‣ ? [Plankton looks around]
‣ Comedy Club F - Laurent Dury [Plankton laughs]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 8 - Fredric Bayco ["What time is it? Oh, I guess I should hide Plankton's Chum Day before Chum Day is all over."/"I bet Plankton would never think to look in the sewer."]
‣ Alone and Lost - Norman Dane [SpongeBob discovers rotten chum in a sewer while he tries to hide more chum]
‣ Murder Scene - Alan Wynn [Rotten chum scattered all over Bikini Bottom]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [Flakes of rotten chum start falling from the sky and Bikini Bottom gets covered into it]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 8 - Fredric Bayco [Mother forbids her baby from eating the rotten chum]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 6 - Fredric Bayco [Citizens complaining about the rotten chum]
‣ ? [Everyone's angry at Plankton]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 6 - Fredric Bayco ["Your chum made me dumb!"]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 1 - Fredric Bayco ["You were already dumb."]
‣ ? [Citizens about to punch Plankton]
• Carol of the Chum - Eban Schletter [SpongeBob appears skating on the chum]
‣ ? ["We shouldn't be fighting, it's Chum Day."]
• Chum Day SpongeBob - Kaz Prapuolenis, Eban Schletter [SpongeBob sings]
‣ Waiting for Santa Claus B - Gregor Narholz [Kids playing in rotten chum]
‣ ? [Everyone cheers in excitement]
‣ Waiting for Santa Claus B - Gregor Narholz [Everyone celebrating Chum Day]
‣ Code "Dead End" - Gregor Narholz ["Wait a minute, Chum Day? That's disgusting!"]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [Plankton telling everyone he invented Chum Day]
‣ Death in the City - Jack Beaver [Health inspector appears]
‣ Finger of Suspicion - Max Saunders [Health inspector fines Plankton with $1,000,000,000]
‣ The Waiting Game - Alan Wynn [Health inspector tells Plankton he can eat all the rotten chum to avoid the fine]
‣ Dismal Gloom - Wilfred Burns ["Isn't there anyone that knows the true meaning of Chum Day?!"]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [SpongeBob explaining the true meaning of Chum Day]
‣ Vacation A - Kapono Beamer, Mac Prindy [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20 and will be available on The Complete Twelfth Season DVD.
- This episode was paired up with "The Hankering" during the original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "Stormy Weather."
- Coincidentally, both episodes consist of Bikini Bottom residents hiding chum from someone.
- In production order, this and the previous episode "King Plankton" both have Plankton's name in the title.
- The photo of Pearl in the Krabs house was redrawn for this episode and just resembles blobs of her colors.
- In Mrs. Puff's house, a photo of Mr. Krabs is seen hanging on the wall, referencing their ongoing relationship.
- The scene where SpongeBob says, "No peeking!" is featured in a promo for "The Krusty Bucket."
- Another clip was used in Nick's "Nonstop Nickmas" song in December 2019.
- A fish version of the mayor from the Broadway musical makes her debut in this episode.
- In this episode, Plankton's chum is light brown and resembles dirt. In other episodes, it’s more reddish with visible body parts in it. This is meant to represent the fact that the chum is rotten.
- This episode is revealed to be the 3rd one produced in season 12 (1203), as the letters on its script, XXXXXXXXX XXX XXXX, have the exact same letters in the title of this episode. Despite it being the third one produced, this and "Stormy Weather" are actually 5th ones in production order.
- This is one of few season 12 episodes to not end with an iris out.
- This episode was accidentally paired with "Shell Games" when it premiered in France.
- This marks the first appearance of the health inspector in season 12.
- Before the episode was unaired in the United States, a clip from this episode was posted on a YouTube video from the official SpongeBob SquarePants account on August 15, 2019.
- Chum Day alludes to Christmas.
- The scene where SpongeBob explains the meaning of Chum Day alludes to A Charlie Brown Christmas.
- Squidward asking Morty what day it is alludes to Ebenezer Scrooge asking the boy what day it’s in A Christmas Carol.
- When SpongeBob mentioned chumnog, a chum-chum tree, chummen, chum-sicles, chum lights and chum carols, alluding to eggnog, the Christmas tree, snowmen, icicles, Christmas lights and Christmas carols.
- In one scene, Morty has a black and a brown pupil, but afterwards, his pupils are both black.