- French Narrator
- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Plankton's robot (debut)
- Karen Plankton
- Bar customers
- Plankton's imaginary family (debut)
- Plankton's cousins (debut)
Mr. Krabs announces to his employees that it is the 25th anniversary of the first time Plankton attempted to steal his secret recipe. A robot suddenly enters the restaurant and orders chili coral bits instead of a Krabby Patty. Mr. Krabs is suspicious but takes the customer's money anyway. When the robot leaves, Plankton jumps out of the dollar bill and demands the formula, only for Mr. Krabs to flush him down the toilet.
Plankton returns to the Chum Bucket in misery and Karen suggests hiring some henchmen to help him. After trying and failing to recruit some tough guys at a nightclub, Plankton then realizes that he has thousands of relatives across the sea and invites them all to come to the Chum Bucket, imagining them to all be evil geniuses like he is. However, when they arrive, he finds out they are all unsophisticated country bumpkins, and realizes that he's "been away from home longer than (he) thought."
After his cousin Clem reintroduces Plankton to all his relatives, Plankton calls them to a meeting and explains his plan, promising them all the root beer they can drink if they help (which excites them greatly).
Plankton eventually returns to the Krusty Krab with his army and they unleash a fierce attack, trapping Mr. Krabs in the toilet. Plankton's cousins open the safe containing the Krabby Patty secret recipe and Plankton pulls it out. Mr. Krabs pleads with him not to read it, saying "There are some things in this world that aren't meant for mortal eyes!" Plankton takes no notice and reads it anyway.
- A pinch of salt
- 3 teaspoons of chopped onions
- A cup of love
- 4 heaping pounds of freshly ground Plankton
Plankton is horrified and runs away from the Krusty Krab shrieking with all his relatives (except for Clem who cannot read). Squidward asks if that was the real Krabby Patty formula, Mr. Krabs explains it was just a fake and Plankton will most likely figure that out and be back to find out about the real formula.
He tells his employees that the real formula is hidden somewhere where nobody - not even Plankton - will be able to find it. Squidward then guesses that it's at Mr. Krabs' house under his mattress, and Mr. Krabs runs home yelling "Curse you, Squidward!"
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Zelle 506 - Gerhard Trede [Title card]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [opening]
‣ Premonition of Disaster - Arthur Harold Wilkinson [robot customer enters]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [robot orders chili coral bits]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (a) - Wilfred William Burns [Plankton jumps out of dollar bill]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Plankton flushed down toilet]
‣ Al Capone Blues - Eric Gemsa [Plankton goes home]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Henchmen?"]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["I'll canvass all the seediest lowbrow dives in town to find my minions!"]
‣ Rocking Monster A - Wolfgang Killian, Hermann Langschwert [tough guys playing pool]
• Drowsy Reef - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton in a wheelchair]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Wait... that's it!"]
‣ Jerry Cotton - Gerhard Trede [Plankton gathering family members]
‣ Let's Dance Susanna - Roy Henley [they're all hillbillies]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Plankton introduces them to Karen]
‣ Buffalo Girls - Martyn Laight ["What's in it for us?"]
‣ Zelle 503 - Gerhard Trede ["Root beer?!"]
‣ Zelle 506 - Gerhard Trede ["I have the restaurant surrounded."]
‣ Hog Fever (a) - Graham D.H. Preskett [plankton invade Krusty Krab]
‣ Kommissar X - Gerhard Trede [Krabs in toilet]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [safe opened]
‣ Journey to the Magic Island - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton removes formula from bottle]
‣ Apalachian Banjo Duel - Larry Hochman ["And of course I had a little help from the family."]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [Krabs warns Plankton not to look at the formula]
‣ Against the Law (e) - Wilfred William Burns [Plankton reading the formula]
• Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton runs away]
‣ Let's Dance Susanna - Roy Henley ["Get outta here!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Krabs says it wasn't the real formula]
• Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric, Absorbing Favorites, Complete 3rd Season, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, The Third & Fourth Seasons, First 100 Episodes, and Complete Third Season DVDs.
- "Plankton's Army" was ranked #66 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- Although this episode premiered in 2004, it was made in 2002 according to the credits.
- This episode aired in Germany on Wednesday, September 24, 2003, before it aired in the United States.
- This was the first episode to premiere in 2004.
- This episode premiered in Canada on Friday, October 29, 2004.
- The original name of the episode was "Plankton's Last Stand.".
- This was Jay Lender and Sam Henderson's final episode as writers and storyboard directors.
- This was also Sean Dempsey's final episode as an animation director.
- SpongeBob only appears in two scenes: one at the very beginning and the other at the very end. This makes the episode to be one of the smallest appearances of SpongeBob in an episode, similar to "New Leaf," "Rise and Shine," "Mall Girl Pearl,” and “Whale Watching.”
- Plankton's past attempts at stealing the formula and results shown in this episode include:
- Asking nicely; Mr. Krabs says no.
- Wearing a cockroach costume; Mr. Krabs steps on him.
- Drinking a potion that turned him into a cockroach; Mr. Krabs steps on him.
- Protesting to Krabs that he is not a cockroach on a picket sign ("civil disobedience"); Krabs steps on him again.
- Plankton's line when he visits the thugs can be heard sped up in "Krusty Krab Training Video."
- This episode is one of the rare occasions where Plankton is squashed by his wife, Karen (under her robotic hand).
- In this episode, Mr. Krabs claims that Plankton has been trying to steal the formula for 25 years; however, in "Spy Buddies," he claims that Plankton has been trying to steal it for 20 years. This indicates that "Spy Buddies" took place before "Plankton's Army."
- According to the phone book:
- There are five "S. Plankton"s.
- At maximum, there is one "M. Plankton."
- There are 15 "N. Plankton"s.
- There are 15 "O. Plankton"s and "P. Plankton"s each.
- The number Plankton dialed on the phone is 1934428.
- It should be noted that when Plankton talks about how many other Planktons Mr. Krabs can handle, he says the number used in the power of ten in scientific notation. The only exception is two.
- It is revealed that Plankton's full name is "Sheldon J. Plankton."
- Despite being married to him, Karen apparently did not know Plankton's first name until this episode.
- Plankton's snare drumroll that he performed sounded exactly the same as the drumroll in episodes such as "Wet Painters" and "The Fry Cook Games."
- It turns out that Mr. Krabs hides the Krabby Patty secret formula in his mattress just like how he hides his money.
- At some point in the episode, Plankton says "Acting alone we are powerless. But united, the Plankton family could be a real pain in the fanny!" However, the DVD closed captioning says "belly" when he says "fanny." This is most likely due to the fact that "fanny" is deemed a curse word in the UK.
- Plankton is shown going after the Krabby Patty secret formula in future episodes, which shows Mr. Krabs was right in his predictions.
- Instead of saying he cannot read, Clem said "For what?" in the Bahasa Indonesia dub. There were also a few other lines that had been edited besides that one:
- The line "You planted grass?" was changed to "You came to destroy us?" This resulted in Plankton's line being changed from "Grass?!" to "Destroy?!"
- The line "Hot dog!" was changed to "Yes! Very nice!"
- The line "I'm telling you, you won't be able to handle the truth. There are some things in this world that weren't meant for mortal eyes." was changed to "I'm telling you. I mean it! There are purple print that you won't able to comprehend!"
- When Karen accidentally crushes Plankton, his limbs break and he attaches them back on in a similar fashion to Mr. Potato Head.
- The name of Plankton's cousin Billy Billy Bo-Illy Bonana Fanna Fo-Filly is a reference to the song "The Name Game."
- The background of the title card is camouflage, a famous pattern of clothing worn by soldiers in the army.
- When Mr. Krabs says, "Today is the 25th anniversary of the first time my arch rival, Plankton, ever tried to steal me secret Krabby Patty formula," the door to Mr. Krabs' office is shown; but when the robot shows up, the door was gone, then when Mr. Krabs and Squidward walk outside, the door is back.
- When the robot shows up at the Krusty Krab, the Chum Bucket across the street is missing.
- When Plankton says, "Who will join me!" his mouth is out of sync.
- When Plankton is standing on the phone book, when he says, "or 100," he is next to "S. Plankton," but when he says, "or 1000," he is next to "O. Plankton."
- The phone book does not contain phone numbers.
- Clem was laughing with the rest of the Plankton family when Karen showed "Sheldon" on her screen. But at the end of the episode, he stated he couldn't read.
- Outside the Krusty Krab there are millions of Planktons surrounding the restaurant, but after Plankton retreats to the Chum Bucket, there are fewer of them.
- When SpongeBob comes back after Plankton's cousins ran away, he is not wearing his Krusty Krab Employee Hat, but in the next scene, he is.
- When Plankton is running back to the Chum Bucket after reading the fake formula, the Chum Bucket is shown to be over some hills, when it is right across the street from the Krusty Krab.
- Karen showing "SHELDON" on her screen as Plankton is trying to talk to his relatives.
- Someone running home after they learn something horrifying, and the road is much more curved and longer than usual.
- ^ List of episodes (foreign)/languages/German
- ^ List of episodes (foreign)/countries/Canada
- ^ http://web.archive.org/web/20030411084738/http://spongebob.net:80/episodeguides.htm
- ^ https://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/50575-Planktons-Army
- ^ https://www.sbmania.net/forums/topic/45921-unaired/