- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sea urchins (cameo on bumper sticker)
- Pioneers (mentioned)
- Truck driver (debut)
- Rude customer (debut)
It is closing time at the Krusty Krab, and Squidward answers a last-minute phone call from a customer. Just as he is about to tell the customer the restaurant is closed, Mr. Krabs suddenly appears and snatches the phone from Squidward's hands. The customer tells Mr. Krabs that he wants to order a pizza and have it delivered, an order Mr. Krabs happily accepts knowing he could get extra money. Squidward protests this by saying the restaurant doesn't serve pizza nor do they deliver, but Mr. Krabs spontaneously makes a pizza out of Krabby Patties and forces Squidward and SpongeBob to deliver it.
After SpongeBob does a vehicle inspection on a boatmobile, Squidward tells him to drive. However, SpongeBob says that he is still in boating school, but Squidward does not want to drive either. He says the customer is around the corner and advises SpongeBob to do what he does in school. As expected, SpongeBob panics when he tries to shift the boat into reverse and ends up "backing up" for miles and miles until the boat runs out of gas in the middle of a big desert. Squidward complains about the situation and kicks the boat out of frustration after SpongeBob mentions the pizza is getting cold. This causes the boat to suddenly drive off back to the Krusty Krab, leaving the two stranded and forced to continue their delivery on foot.
Throughout the journey, the duo encounters numerous mishaps: first, SpongeBob tries a pioneer trick he claims to have seen in a movie where he listens to the ground and hears a truck coming. When SpongeBob tries to get the driver's attention by doing a ridiculous dance in the middle of the road, the driver speeds up and Squidward pushes SpongeBob out of the way so he doesn't get mowed down. Later, the pizza box gets caught in the wind. Squidward tells SpongeBob to let go of the pizza until they see a tornado. He says to hang on to the pizza, which saves their lives after SpongeBob turns it into a parachute.
Upon landing on solid ground, Squidward panics when he can't find the road. SpongeBob says that moss points towards civilization and that they should go in the direction at which the moss is pointing. Squidward goes in the other direction, unaware that they almost found a city.
They become tired and hungry, so SpongeBob suggests ridiculous things to eat. Squidward wants the pizza instead. SpongeBob runs away from Squidward. Squidward pauses for a moment so that when SpongeBob crashes into Squidward, he tries to grab it. But SpongeBob notices a giant rock that he claims the pioneers drove for miles. Squidward is incredulous at this claim and tries to tell SpongeBob to forget about the pioneers, saying that there are none left because of their unusual habits and traveling methods. However, he quickly changes his mind after SpongeBob runs him over with the rock and he chases after him for a ride out of the desert. With the giant rock, they drive it to the customer's house.
Unfortunately, their journey doesn't pay off well. The customer is at first happy to get his pizza, but then gets upset that he didn't get his Diet Dr. Kelp he claims he had ordered. A confused SpongeBob checks the order, which says that the customer did not ask for a drink (though it's somewhat implied that Mr. Krabs either hung up the phone before he could finish his order or didn't hear him correctly). Filled with anger, The customer lashes out on SpongeBob and refuses to take the pizza or pay for it before rudely slamming the door in his face.
SpongeBob walks over to Squidward and collapses and falls down crying (while absorbing his tears). Squidward tries to console SpongeBob, but his attempt ends in vain. Appalled at how the customer treated SpongeBob and won't pay for the pizza all because of he didn't get his drink (making the long journey and the ridiculous obstacles the duo went through a complete waste of time), Squidward furiously confronts the customer and brutally throws the pizza into the mean customer's face, claiming it to be "on the house."
Squidward then cheers up SpongeBob by saying that the customer took the pizza and "ate the whole thing in one bite." The episode ends as Squidward asks to be taken home, but SpongeBob instead drives them back to the Krusty Krab, which is comically revealed to be right across the street, much to Squidward's dismay.
"Pizza Delivery" was written by Sherm Cohen, Aaron Springer, and Peter Burns, with Sean Dempsey serving as animation director. Cohen also functioned as storyboard director, and Springer worked as storyboard artist. The episode originally aired on Nickelodeon in the United States on August 14, 1999.
Series creator Stephen Hillenburg's original idea for the series pitch was that the writers would write a storyboard for a possible episode and pitch it to Nickelodeon. Hillenburg wanted to write an episode with SpongeBob and Squidward on a road trip, inspired by the 1989 film Powwow Highway. Derek Drymon said, "It's a road trip movie starring Gary Farmer, who is an innocent, kid-like character who is traveling with a curmudgeon." Eventually, the idea developed while they were working on it, but Hillenburg gave up the idea for the initial pitch. This idea was later scrapped into the season 12 episode, "Pineapple RV." Instead, they used another idea for the pitch which was in the series pilot episode called "Help Wanted." Writers Aaron Springer and Sherm Cohen resurrected the road trip idea during the first season and used a lot of the ideas for this episode.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Nick's Conga Line - Nicolas Carr [Title card]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [The opening]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [The customer orders pizza on phone.]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob inspects the vehicle.]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob backs up.]
‣ Stand Boys Stand - Jerry Burnham, Tony Ellis, Stephen Wade ["It's an old pioneer trick."]
‣ Hog Fever (a) - Graham Preskett [Squidward and SpongeBob hitchhike.]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [A tornado is shown.]
‣ Merlins Hill - Jennifer Jones [Harp music]
‣ Action Cut (a) - Gregor F. Narholz ["Where's the road?"]
‣ Merlins Hill - Jennifer Jones [SpongeBob lands.]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Moss is shown on the rock.]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["I know where I'm going."]
‣ Funeral March - Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Squidward are exhausted.]
‣ Cold Fear - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob refuses to give Squidward the pizza.]
‣ Love for Sale A - Peter Fallowell [Squidward tries to tempt SpongeBob.]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Wait a second!"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward chases SpongeBob.]
• Nick's Conga Line - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob dances]
‣ Conga Real - Ronnie Hazzlehurst ["That's just a stupid boulder."]
‣ Nostalgic Romance - Gregor F. Narholz ["It's not just a boulder, it's a rock."]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [The pizza is delivered to customer.]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob cries.]
• War Blowers - The Blue Hawaiians [Squidward walks up to the customer's door.]
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders [The ending.]
- This episode is available on the Christmas, Complete 1st Season, The 1st Season: Volume 1, Nick For the Holidays!, Tea at the Treedome, Christmas DVD Double Pack, The Tom Kenny Collection, First 100 Episodes, Working is Amazing!?, SpongeBob SquarePants, iSponge Offer Pack, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 1, The Complete First Season, From the Beginning, Pt.1, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, SpongeBob, You're Fired!, Laugh Pack, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- It is also available on Nicktoons Collection Volume 1 on GBA Video and on VideoNow.
- "Pizza Delivery" was ranked #29 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode is number 20 on The Tom Kenny Collection on iTunes and Amazon.com. His description says:
- "The classic setup: SpongeBob and Squidward lost in the desert while delivering a pizza to a customer's home. Squidward just wants to get out of there, but SpongeBob sees his pizza delivery as a sacred oath between himself and the customer. I like when SpongeBob singing to himself - 'The Krusty Krab pizza is the pizza' ...turns into a bizarre gospel jingle singer-'Krusty Kray -ya ya-yaa-aaab!'"
- In 2009, "Pizza Delivery" was chosen by viewers on Nick.com as the number one episode of all time during the The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash television marathon.
- On November 17–18, 2012, this episode was ranked #1 on the SpongeBob Top 100 Weekend on Nickelodeon Germany.
"Pizza Delivery" received very positive reviews. Nancy Basile of About.com ranked the episode number 2 on her "Best SpongeBob SquarePants Episodes" list. She said, "[It] is the perfect episode to depict SpongeBob's enthusiasm for all things Krusty Krab against Squidward's apathy and cynical nature." Basile cited her favorite scene in the episode where "After the customer slams his door in SpongeBob's face, Squidward makes sure he swallows the pizza 'in one bite.'"
Giving the episode 5 out of 5 stars, Bill Treadway of DVD Verdict said the episode is his "personal favorite all the episodes," writing that "this one is loaded with enough unique twists and hilarious comedy to bear repeat viewings."
Emily Estep of WeGotThisCovered.com ranked the episode Number 1 on her "Top 10 Episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants" list, saying, "But – the pizza is for the customer, and flawless employee SpongeBob won't let Squidward eat any of it." She wrote, "[The episode] has the undervalued nostalgia of being episode five of the entire series and it benefits from the aforementioned chemistry of SpongeBob and Squidward." She also praised the episode as "an in-depth look at their SpongeBob and Squidward relationship, and it set the tone for just how strange the show could be." Estep lauded the hitchhiking dances by SpongeBob, saying, "These moves are amusing and charming, while Squidward's bitterness is easy to relate to."
- The flowers in the title card are used as enemies in the video game SpongeBob's Truth or Square.
- The driver seat and steering wheel in the car SpongeBob and Squidward use is on the right instead of the left, suggesting that the car is from a country that uses left-hand traffic.
- In the shot where the gears on the boat change, the words change to the Korean words for "forward" and "reverse:" 앞으로가 (ap'euroga) and 뒤로가 (dwiroga).
- If SpongeBob sees this in Korean though, he should still be able to tell which is forward and backward by just following the arrow marks.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Squidward back up the boat with SpongeBob saying, "Backing up, backing up" repeatedly has become a popular meme on YouTube.
- A still image of SpongeBob dancing with the cowboy hat has become an internet meme with the subtitle "(spoons rattling)" seen at the bottom of the image.
- The fourth wall is broken when SpongeBob and Squidward are in the storm, everything stops, and SpongeBob is in midair when he gasps and says, "Squidward!"
- The scene when Squidward tries to trick SpongeBob into eating the pizza has become a popular internet meme.
- The scene where SpongeBob runs to the rock that he drives and says, "A rock!" has become a vine, mostly because it sounds like SpongeBob is saying, "Iraq!" with remixes with the map of Iraq being shown when SpongeBob hugs the rock.
- This episode was paired with "Wet Painters" during Best Buddies Week.
- When Squidward knocks on the door of the customer's house, his knocking syncs up with the background music.
- The customer's line "How am I supposed to eat this pizza without my drink?" has become a popular internet meme.
- When Mr. Krabs is ending the phone call, if listened closely the phone's gibberish starts to continue before he hangs up, suggesting the customer ordered his drink as Mr. Krabs put the phone down.
- At the end of the episode, Squidward's line "Oh, my aching tentacles!" was cut in some countries due to the line being mistaken for an inappropriate reference (causing the screen to go black when the line is said). It is also cut on the Nicktoons Collection Volume 1 Game Boy Advance cartridge. It is still intact on the DVD and digital releases. Sometime in 2013, it was also deleted from Polish and Greek airings. In Nicktoons U.S. airings, the line is left intact.
- This episode reveals that even Squidward has his standards, in this case, he feels angry at the customer for making SpongeBob cry.
- This is also the first time Squidward feels sorry for SpongeBob.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Downtown Bikini Bottom.
- This episode marks the first occurrence of a tornado in the series.
- This episode marks the first time the Krusty Krab is shown to sell pizza.
- This episode marks the first usage of the APM tracks "Captain Lenoe's" and "Stack of Leis."
- This is the first of four episodes transcribed as a comic into the SpongeBob SquarePants/Tokyopop book Krusty Krab Adventures. The other three were "The Algae's Always Greener," "Culture Shock," and "Pickles."
- Besides the episode "Reef Blower" (which has no spoken dialogue), this is the first episode and only episode in season 1 that doesn't feature any character laughing of some type.
- This is one of the few season 1 episodes where the Krabby Patty buns' sesame seeds are white. In most season 1 and early season 2 episodes, they are black.
- There is an online game based on this episode called SpongeBob's Pizza Toss.
- Irony: Since Mr. Krabs hung up the phone while the customer was still talking, it is possible that the customer did actually order a drink.
- SpongeBob is called "Jethro" twice by Squidward. This is a reference to the TV show The Beverly Hillbillies.
- Diet Dr. Kelp is a parody of real-life Diet Dr Pepper.
- The first shot shows two boats outside of the Krusty Krab, but only the pizza delivery boat appears afterward.
- When SpongeBob is shining a table at the Krusty Krab, the size of the anchor on his Krusty Krab employee hat is much bigger in the reflection than how it is on the actual hat.
- The boat's antenna disappears after SpongeBob's "vehicle inspection."
- When SpongeBob "checks" the tire pressure in one of the car's tires, the hubcap disappears.
- The delivery boat is white and purple on the sides and front, but the rear has a classic red stripe. It starts red, but when the boat is spinning down the road, it has a purple tint. It turns entirely purple when it breaks down.
- When the truck driver realized that SpongeBob was in the middle of the road his air horn lever was moving but a couple of seconds before he honks the truck it stays still.
- When SpongeBob is blown around holding the pizza, the writing is towards him. When they are spat out, the writing is facing away from him.
- In one scene where Squidward is panicking for losing the way one of his tentacles becomes translucent.
- When Squidward "takes a look" at the pizza, the box opens to the east. However, when he fully opens it, it opens to the north.
- When SpongeBob runs away from Squidward and then hits him and falls on the ground, SpongeBob sits on the ground, missing his Krusty Krab employee hat.
- After Squidward is run over by SpongeBob's rock, his eyes just momentarily become the same color as his skin.
- While the customer says, "You call yourself a delivery boy!?," for a brief second, his fin slightly comes off his body.
- When SpongeBob falls to the ground after failing to serve the customer his pizza, his feet faces sideways. But in the next shot, his feet faces upright.
- In the end, it is shown that the customer's house is across the street from the Krusty Krab, whereas, in other episodes, the Chum Bucket is suppose to be across the street.
- There is more/less pepperoni on the pizza in different shots.
- The swordfish trucker is voiced by Doug Lawrence, but the end credits mistake him to be voiced by Rodger Bumpass.
- SpongeBob singing, "The Krusty Krab Pizza."
- Squidward trying to steal the pizza from SpongeBob.
- ^ "Pizza Delivery" credits
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants : Pizza Delivery; Home Sweet Pineapple. TV Listings. Zap2it. Retrieved on September 2, 2013.
- ^ a b c d e Heintjes, Tom (September 21, 2012). The Oral History of SpongeBob SquarePants. Hogan's Alley. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ Basile, Nancy. Best 'SpongeBob SquarePants' Episodes. About.com. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ a b Treadway, Bill (November 10, 2003). SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete First Season. DVD Verdict. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- ^ a b c d e Estep, Emily (December 5, 2011). Top 10 Episodes Of SpongeBob Squarepants. WeGotThisCovered.com. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|