- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 17
- Bubble Bass (debut)
- Fred (blue)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 9 (teal)
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 2 (purple)
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 70 (debut)
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 20
- Gary the Snail
- Incidental 65 (debut)
- Incidental 63 (debut)
- Incidental 25
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 67 (debut)
- Incidental 73 (debut)
- Incidental 64 (debut)
- Incidental 60 (debut)
- Incidental 62 (debut)
- Incidental 69 (debut)
- Incidental 61 (debut)
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 35
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 71 (debut)
The episode starts with a normal day at the Krusty Krab, until an overweight bass named Bubble Bass comes along and makes a long and confusing order. SpongeBob quickly creates the patty Bubble Bass has on his mind and serves it to him, but Bubble Bass complains about there being no pickles on his patty, much to SpongeBob's horror.
Mr. Krabs takes money out of SpongeBob’s pay because Bubble Bass reads the microscopic print below the menu that says "Money Back Guarantee" on it. SpongeBob loses his confidence and his mind, and cannot remember how to do anything, even to the extent that he made a Krabby Patty with inedible ingredients. Mr. Krabs tells him to go home and get some rest, but SpongeBob can't even remember how to properly get in bed. Mr. Krabs has Squidward take over the grill, which leads to disaster, with Squidward (somehow) burning and ruining all of the food and driving away customers, and burning their shakes.
Mr. Krabs worries about losing money, so he goes to SpongeBob's house, where everything is mixed up. Mr. Krabs explains to SpongeBob that if he remembers how to make a Krabby Patty, he will be back in order. It takes days, but SpongeBob eventually learns how to make a Krabby Patty properly again, albeit unintentionally due to believing he could not do it.
SpongeBob returns to the Krusty Krab, where Bubble Bass confronts him again. SpongeBob serves him his meal confidently, but Bubble Bass announces again that there are no pickles and tells SpongeBob that he has lost again. However, when he takes one look at his mouth, SpongeBob realizes Bubble Bass' trick and reveals that Bubble Bass has been hiding the pickles under his tongue the whole time to avoid paying, as well as Shubie's car keys, exposing Bubble Bass of his treachery.
Bubble Bass immediately runs away to escape punishment, and Mr. Krabs calls for three cheers for SpongeBob's return which everyone does. SpongeBob then calls for three cheers for Squidward for taking his place while he was gone. However, the crowd jeers instead of cheers because of the awful job Squidward did with that, but SpongeBob assumes they are cheering and continues saying "Hip Hip." Squidward’s frown gets droopier with each jeer and last jeer then goes: "Boo, you stink!" before the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• ? - Nicolas Carr [Tubular bell before "The Gunfighter"]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio [Title card]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [Opening]
‣ Fight and Chase - Sammy Burdson [Bubble Bass introduced]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["I hear talk you make a mean Krabby Patty."]
‣ Bell Tree [#86.01] - David Arnold ["Here you go!"]
‣ The Eternal Wave - The Langhorns [Bubble Bass eats the patty]
‣ Phantom Train - The Surfdusters ["This is pretty good, only one thing..."]
‣ Action Cut (a) - Gregor F. Narholz ["You forgot the pickles!"]
‣ The Gypsy Violinist - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob looking for the pickles]
‣ Sailor's Waltz - Heinz Matschurat [money back guarantee]
‣ Martial Links - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob forgets how to make Krabby Patties]
‣ Dramatic Stabs - John Fox ["The front door is missing!"]
‣ Hawaiian Farewell - George Elliott [SpongeBob at home]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [that night]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [burnt Krabby Patties]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["I got to get SpongeBob back!"]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [played backwards when Mr. Krabs visits SpongeBob]
‣ Chinese Past 2 - Yew Phoon [gong]
‣ Nirvana - Yasotha Somasundram ["If you learn to make a Krabby Patty again..."]
‣ Troop Movement - Sam Fonteyn [several days pass]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["It's time."]
‣ The Stranger in Town - Tony Kinsey [SpongeBob returns to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Bandits - Andy Allan, Martyn Laight [pickles under Bubble Bass' tongue]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [ending]
- This episode is available on the Sea Stories, Complete 1st Season, Hall Monitor, First 100 Episodes, SpongeBob SquarePants, iSponge Offer Pack, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 1, The Complete First Season, From the Beginning, Pt.1, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- It is also available on SpongeBob SquarePants Volume 2 on GBA Video and on VideoNow.
- "Pickles" was ranked #27 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- This is the first episode where the title is named after a food.
- In honor of the 21st anniversary of this episode, Nickrewind's Twitter page tweeted on August 21, 2020 a picture from this episode reading "On this day in 1999: SpongeBob forgot how to make Krabby Patties."
- It is revealed that the Krusty Krab has a "Money Back Guarantee" written on the Galley Grub, only with a literally microscopic font size.
- This is the first of four episodes transcribed as a comic into the SpongeBob SquarePants/Tokyopop book Krusty Krab Adventures.
- Before SpongeBob makes the second Krabby Patty, he looks at his reflection in the spatula. In all other episodes, his spatula has slits, but here it is solid.
- This, "Help Wanted," "Employee of the Month," "One Krabs Trash," and "Best Day Ever" are the only five episodes to have SpongeBob's bed placed on the right side of his room and not the left.
- In this episode, SpongeBob reveals the ingredients of the Krabby Patty, although he does not mention the secret ingredient. In "Plankton!," SpongeBob also lists the parts of the patty.
- When SpongeBob regains his knowledge of making Krabby Patties, the order of his ingredients is switched around. For example, at the beginning of the episode, he had ketchup and mustard immediately following the patty, but when he unknowingly makes a Krabby Patty correctly in front of Mr. Krabs, the ketchup and mustard are more towards the top.
- The ways SpongeBob messes up the order of ingredients are as follows:
- Bun, ketchup, mustard.
- Bun, mustard, ketchup, lettuce, mustard.
- Bun, mustard, bun.
- Bun, mustard, bun, ketchup.
- Bun, mustard, bun, ketchup, shoe, mustard, pan, bun.
- The line "He burnt my shake!" has become a popular Internet meme.
- Bubble Bass' first order has become a popular internet meme.
- His first order is: "I'll take a Double Triple Bossy Deluxe on a raft, 4x4 animal style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim!"
- What Bubble Bass' order translates to is an all-beef patty with 24 patties and 24 slices of cheese with everything on it with toast instead of buns, the patties are fried in mustard, there are two pieces of toast per layer with butter on the toast, orange juice to drink, jelly on the toast as well, fry the onions, cook them well done, and drench them in sauce.
- When Mr. Krabs says, "We got Squidward!" the cash register sound is heard, along with Squidward's hand near the register, but there is no customer.
- Squidward is most likely counting the money.
- This marks the first appearance of Bubble Bass, who becomes a recurring character by season 10.
- This is the first time "Dancing the Hula" plays. In this episode, it plays in reverse when Mr. Krabs is at SpongeBob's house.
- At the end of the episode, SpongeBob does the three cheers for Squidward, but he actually says "Hip hip..." four times.
- SpongeBob most likely lost count.
- Glitter appears on the title card. Glitter is also used on the title cards for "Sleepy Time" and "Imitation Krabs."
- When SpongeBob makes the 12 Krabby Patties, Perry and Francis are after John, but when John leaves, Bubble Bass is next.
- It's possible that John ordered the dozen patties to share with Perry and Francis.
- In the Polish version of the episode, in the ending, the customer says "Boo! Squidward stinks!" instead of "Boo! You stink!"
- The order for SpongeBob while trying to go to bed was that he said "Mattress, SpongeBob, mattress, sheet, and pillow," he was close, but the real order was "Mattress, mattress, pillow, SpongeBob, and sheet."
- In the Latin American dub of this episode, SpongeBob mentions "Crab" while preparing the Krabby Patty.
- This episode marks another appearance of the drive-thru window. When Bubble Bass walks up to the register, it can be seen with a crate in the background.
- At the beginning of the episode, the order of Krabby Patty ingredients goes: bun, patty, ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions, lettuce, cheese, tomato, bun. When SpongeBob has a breakthrough at the end of the episode, the order goes: bun, patty, lettuce, cheese, onions, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, pickles, bun.
- When SpongeBob confronts Bubble Bass at the end of the episode, the Krusty Krab has no tables.
- The tables were most likely moved to prepare for the confrontation between SpongeBob and Bubble Bass.
- This episode, along with "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy," premiered on Stephen Hillenburg's 38th birthday.
- This is the first episode where Squidward is shown taking the role as fry cook.
- Here are the sentences SpongeBob mixes up after his confidence loss and the sentences rearranged next to them.
- "Mr. Krabs, hello. Do you how do?" ("Mr. Krabs, hello. How do you do?")
- "I anything can't do right since because pickles." ("Because I can't do anything right since pickles.")
- "I think don't ready back to go to work, Mr. Krabs." ("I don't think ready to go back to work, Mr. Krabs.")
- "I how do that?" ("How I do that?")
- The stare-off between Bubble Bass and SpongeBob is a reference to the 1966 Italian film The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
- Bubble Bass' initial order consists of actual "Hash-House" jargon, albeit the main exception being "let it swim," an alteration of "let it walk." When deciphered, his order consists of a Krabby Patty with 24 mustard-grilled all-beef patties with double toppings, four extra cheese slices, extra grilled onions, double extra special sauce, all on stacked lightly buttered toast to go.
- The "4x4 animal style" part is also an order on the secret menu from the American regional fast-food restaurant chain In-N-Out Burger.
- The showdown between SpongeBob and Bubble Bass mocks the clichés of several spaghetti westerns.
- When SpongeBob is going back to the Krusty Krab, he is seen wearing his hat. When he looks into the spatula, it is gone. It reappears in all other scenes.
- When SpongeBob looks into the spatula, the spatula has no holes through it. However, in the rest of the scene, it does.
- When SpongeBob says "I'm right here Bubble Bass," SpongeBob's footsteps can be heard, even though he does not take any steps at all. This could have been a sound effect.
- When SpongeBob opens the Krusty Krab kitchen door, his left eye is colored green.
- When Mr. Krabs first unrolls the blue mat of Krabby Patty ingredients, the ketchup bottle is significantly smaller than the mustard. After the passage of several days, it is equal to the mustard in size.
- Mr. Krabs most likely replaced the ketchup bottle.
- When SpongeBob says, "I got it!" the onions are replaced with cheese, and in the next scene, the cheese is replaced with onions.
- The Crying Johnny and the Double Triple Bossy Deluxe have the same burger model, causing confusion.
- This is because in the next scene after SpongeBob makes the Crying Johnny, it changes its appearance.
- When Mr. Krabs says "SpongeBob" when he goes to his home, his white undershirt is missing.
- When Bubble Bass says, "You lose," Incidental 5 does not have a mouth.
- In this episode, on the Galley Grub, Krabby Patty is incorrectly spelled as "Krabby Pattie."
- When Bubble Bass runs from the Krusty Krab at the end of the episode, he is panting. However, his mouth is not open.
- SpongeBob says he cannot make a Double Krabby Patty with the works, but only one patty is used.
- When Squidward says "Twelve patties on wheat buns!" for a brief second his neck is layered in front of his mouth.
- In the credits, Bubble Bass is misspelled as "Bubblebass." This error also occurs on the title card of "Bubble Bass's Tab."
- During the montage of SpongeBob trying to figure out how to sleep, the ship horn alarm somehow moves its position back and forth between shots on its barrel.
- Bubble Bass throws Squidward.
- SpongeBob messes up on making Krabby Patties after he suffers a confidence loss.
- SpongeBob mixing up his words after suffering a confidence loss.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards