- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Bubble Bass (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Gary the Snail
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 30
- Incidental 68 (debut)
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 9 (teal)
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 2 (purple)
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 70 (debut)
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 65 (debut)
- Incidental 63 (debut)
- Incidental 25
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 67 (debut)
- Incidental 73 (debut)
- Incidental 64 (debut)
- Incidental 60 (debut)
- Incidental 62 (debut)
- Incidental 69 (debut)
- Incidental 61 (debut)
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 35
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 71 (debut)
At the Krusty Krab, an overweight fish named Bubble Bass arrives and makes a very long, complicated order. SpongeBob quickly assembles the patty Bubble Bass has on his mind and serves it to him, but Bubble Bass points out that he forgot to add pickles. SpongeBob is so horrified by this that he slowly begins to lose his mind, cannot remember how to create a proper Krabby Patty. Mr. Krabs tells him to go home and get some rest, but this does not help matters at all.
While SpongeBob is gone, Mr. Krabs has Squidward take over for him, but Squidward just burns all the food and drives away all the customers. Mr. Krabs worries about losing money and decides to visit SpongeBob's house, where he finds everything in disarray. Mr. Krabs explains to SpongeBob that if he remembers how to make a Krabby Patty, he will regain his confidence and be able to return to work. It takes several days, but eventually SpongeBob remembers how to make a Krabby Patty properly.
SpongeBob returns to the Krusty Krab, where Bubble Bass confronts him again. SpongeBob serves him his meal confidently, knowing he didn't forget the pickles, but Bubble Bass announces that he has forgotten the pickles again and laughs at SpongeBob's failure. However, when he looks closely at Bubble Bass's mouth, SpongeBob realizes that Bubble Bass has been hiding the pickles under his tongue the whole time to avoid paying, as well as the pickles from yesterday and someone's car keys. Bubble Bass immediately flees the restaurant, and everyone gives three cheers for Spongebob. SpongeBob then asks them to cheer for Squidward for taking his place while he was gone, but the crowd boos him instead.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio [Title card]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [Opening]
‣ Fight and Chase - Sammy Burdson [Bubble Bass introduced]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["I hear talk you make a mean Krabby Patty."]
‣ Bell Tree [#86.01] - David Arnold ["Here you go!"]
‣ The Eternal Wave - The Langhorns [Bubble Bass eats the patty]
‣ Phantom Train - The Surfdusters ["This is pretty good, only one thing..."]
‣ Action Cut (a) - Gregor F. Narholz ["You forgot the pickles!"]
‣ The Gypsy Violinist - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob looking for the pickles]
‣ Sailor's Waltz - Heinz Matschurat [money back guarantee]
‣ Martial Links - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob forgets how to make Krabby Patties]
‣ Dramatic Stabs - John Fox ["The front door is missing!"]
‣ Hawaiian Farewell - George Elliott [SpongeBob at home]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [that night]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [burnt Krabby Patties]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["I got to get SpongeBob back!"]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [played backwards when Mr. Krabs visits SpongeBob]
‣ Chinese Past 2 - Yew Phoon [gong]
‣ Nirvana - Yasotha Somasundram ["If you learn to make a Krabby Patty again..."]
‣ Troop Movement - Sam Fonteyn [several days pass]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["It's time."]
‣ The Stranger in Town - Tony Kinsey [SpongeBob returns to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Bandits - Andy Allan, Martyn Laight [pickles under Bubble Bass' tongue]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [ending]
- This episode is available on the Sea Stories VHS and DVD, as well as on the Complete 1st Season, Hall Monitor, My house, My pineapple, The Underwater Stories, Holiday Cruise Collection, SpongeBob Schwammkopf Folge 3, First 100 Episodes, SpongeBob SquarePants, iSponge Offer Pack, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 1, The Complete First Season, From the Beginning, Part 1, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is also available on SpongeBob SquarePants Volume 2 on GBA Video and on VideoNow.
- "Pickles" was ranked #27 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- On August 21, 2020, in honor of the 21st anniversary of this episode, the SpongeBob Twitter page tweeted a picture from this episode with the caption "On this day in 1999: SpongeBob forgot the pickles."
- It is revealed that the Krusty Krab has a "money back guarantee" written on the Galley Grub, only with a literally microscopic font size.
- When SpongeBob inadvertently remembers how to make a krabby patty before Mr. Krabs, the order of the ingredients mentioned in the beginning is switched around. For example, when making the Crying Johnny, the ketchup and mustard were added immediately following the patty, but when making it before Mr. Krabs, the ketchup and mustard were more towards the top.
- This is the first of four episodes transcribed as a comic into the SpongeBob SquarePants/Tokyopop book Krusty Krab Adventures.
- This the second episode where SpongeBob's bed is on the right side of his room and not the left. The first was "Help Wanted."
- Bubble Bass' order translates to: twenty-four mustard-grilled all-beef patties with double toppings, four extra cheese slices, extra grilled onions, double extra special sauce, all on stacked lightly buttered toast to go.
- Although SpongeBob lists off the condiments of a krabby patty, he does not mention the secret ingredient.
- This also happens in the episode "Plankton!."
- Incidental 70 saying, "Hey, SpongeBob's back!" has become a popular Internet meme.
- Foreshadowing: Whenever Bubble Bass laughs after claiming SpongeBob forgot the pickles, he has his tongue tucked behind his mouth. This is a clue that he's hiding the pickles under his tongue the whole time.
- Squidward denying Incidental 5's request for extra salt has also become a meme relating to real life retail employees.
- The ways SpongeBob messes up the order of ingredients are as follows:
- Bun, ketchup, mustard.
- Bun, mustard, ketchup, lettuce, mustard.
- Bun, mustard, bun.
- Bun, mustard, bun, ketchup.
- Bun, mustard, bun, ketchup, shoe, mustard, pan, bun.
- The order for SpongeBob while trying to go to bed was that he said "Mattress, SpongeBob, mattress, sheet, and pillow," he was close, but the real order was "Mattress, mattress, pillow, SpongeBob, and sheet."
- This episode marks the first appearance of Bubble Bass, who later becomes a recurring character in the series.
- Here are the sentences SpongeBob mixes up after his confidence loss and the sentences rearranged next to them.
- "Mr. Krabs, hello. Do you how do?" ("Hello, Mr. Krabs. How do you do?")
- "I anything can't do right since because pickles." ("Because I can't do anything right since pickles.")
- "I think don't ready I'm back to go to work, Mr. Krabs." ("I don't think I'm ready to go back to work, Mr. Krabs.")
- "I do how do that?" ("How do I do that?")
- This is the first time "Dancing the Hula" plays. In this episode, it plays in reverse when Mr. Krabs is at SpongeBob's house.
- In the Polish version of the episode, the customer says "Boo! Squidward stinks!" at the end instead of "Boo! You stink!"
- This episode, along with "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy," premiered on Stephen Hillenburg's 38th birthday.
- The dialogs of Squidward guessing that Bubble Bass would order a tiny, small salad and Bubble Bass stating his order would later be featured as the opening line of the song "Krabby Step," one of the soundtracks of The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run.
- The stare-off between Bubble Bass and SpongeBob is a reference to the 1966 Italian film The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
- When SpongeBob is going back to the Krusty Krab, he is seen wearing his hat. When he looks into the spatula, it is gone.
- When SpongeBob looks into the spatula, the spatula has no slits in it. However, in the rest of the scene, it does.
- When SpongeBob says "I'm right here, Bubble Bass," SpongeBob's footsteps can be heard, even though he does not take any steps at all.
- This could easily be an added sound effect.
- When Squidward gets thrown for the first time, he momentarily loses his hat.
- When SpongeBob opens the Krusty Krab kitchen door, his left eye is colored green.
- When Mr. Krabs first unrolls the blue mat of Krabby Patty ingredients, the ketchup bottle is significantly smaller than the mustard. After the passage of several days, it is equal to the mustard in size.
- Mr. Krabs most likely replaced the ketchup bottle.
- When SpongeBob says, "I got it!" the onions are replaced with cheese, and in the next scene, the cheese is replaced with onions.
- The Crying Johnny and the Double Triple Bossy Deluxe have the same burger model, causing confusion.
- This is because in the next scene after SpongeBob makes the Crying Johnny, it changes its appearance.
- When Mr. Krabs says "SpongeBob" when he goes to his home, his white undershirt is missing.
- The closed-captions list Bubble Bass's name as "Bubble Bath".
- When Mr. Krabs walks to SpongeBob's house, he does not use his normal walk cycle.
- When Bubble Bass says, "You lose," Incidental 5 does not have a mouth.
- In this episode, on the Galley Grub menu, Krabby Patty is incorrectly spelled as "Krabby Pattie."
- When Bubble Bass runs from the Krusty Krab at the end of the episode, he is panting. However, his mouth is not open.
- SpongeBob says he cannot make a Double Krabby Patty with the works, but only one patty is used.
- When Squidward says "Twelve patties on wheat buns!" for a brief second, his neck is layered in front of his mouth.
- In the credits, Bubble Bass is misspelled as "Bubblebass." This error also occurs on the title card of "Bubble Bass's Tab."
- During the montage of SpongeBob trying to figure out how to sleep, the ship horn alarm somehow moves its position back and forth between shots on its barrel.
- When SpongeBob remembers how to make a krabby patty, the lighting in the living room repeatedly switches back and forth from day to night.