SpongeBob gets an invitation to his grandma's birthday party, so he decides to go, but then, he remembers that he needs to take care of Gary. First, he asks Squidward to watch Gary, but he refuses because Gary ate his kelp garden. Later on, SpongeBob asks his best friend Patrick to watch him while he is at his grandma's birthday party, and Patrick accepts. SpongeBob shows him a schedule of all the things he needs to do that involve Gary, which Patrick acknowledges and agrees to follow. However, when SpongeBob leaves, Patrick throws the schedule away, because he can't read any of the words there, even though it's only because he was holding the schedule upside down.
With the two now alone, Patrick decides to feed Gary. He grabs a bag of snail food and checks if it is okay for him to eat by chugging down on all the food inside, much to Gary's displeasure.
While SpongeBob is at his grandmother's house, he gets distracting visions about Patrick doing bad things to Gary. Once SpongeBob is anxious enough, he calls home numerous amounts of times to check and see how the two are doing. A couple of times, Gary was being put in mortal danger by Patrick, but SpongeBob "thought" they were fine (laughing and having fun).
Later, Patrick attempts to give Gary a bath, though the latter, immune to water, strongly refuses. After this attempt fails, Patrick tries to give Gary a "bath" that involves the opposite of water: burning him alive with a flamethrower, but the next time SpongeBob calls, they are actually having fun, thanks to a flood that Patrick caused by spraying a running hose at him previously, but SpongeBob mistakes them for being in "danger."
SpongeBob quickly ends his grandmother's birthday and rushes home to see what the fuss is about, so he arrives home after a long, tiring run and sees that his house is destroyed and filled with water when he opens the door. He walks upstairs to the sound of Gary's meowing and sees Gary reading Snail Tails to Patrick. SpongeBob said how nice it was for Gary reading Patrick the book but Patrick said he thought the book was actually called "Meow, meow, meow." The episode ends after this.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Coconut Cream Pie Dry - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Solo Steel and Vibes 1 - Jeremy Wakefield, Nicolas Carr [opening]
‣ Happy Home - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [letter from Grandma]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob trips over Gary]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["But if I'm not here, who's gonna take care of you?"]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward screams]
• 12th Street Rag 3 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward refuses to take care of Gary]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob asks Patrick to take care of Gary]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick eating chips]
• Gator - Steve Belfer ["Looks like it's just you and me."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Gary sighs]
‣ Clowning Around Again - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick exits the bathroom]
‣ Clowning Around - Barry Anthony [Patrick opens the refrigerator]
‣ Flower Display - Jack Shaindlin [Grandma serves dessert]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#70] - Phil Green [SpongeBob asks to use the phone]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Patrick answers the phone]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Gary, we don't eat the bath."]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary attacks Patrick]
‣ Tom Fool - Van Phillips [SpongeBob calls again]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick throws the phone out the window]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick slips on Gary's slime]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a minute, Patrick."]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford ["Hey buddy, I got something cool to show you."]
‣ Sponge Shredder - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Patrick torches SpongeBob's bed]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary slithers away]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [can falls on Gary]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [hairdryer]
‣ Rasping Brass - Harry Bluestone ["There, doesn't that feel better?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Okay, let's see."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick gets sleep.]
‣ Unsettled Menace - Phil Green [SpongeBob's house flooding]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green ["If you wanted another bath, why didn't you ask?"]
‣ Untitled Tune - Jack Shaindlin [SpongeBob serves cake]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob imagines his house on fire]
‣ Happy Boy - Jack Shaindlin [SpongeBob asks to use the phone again]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick answers the phone]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero ["Everything okay over there?"]
‣ Happy Home - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Grandma trying to blow out the candles]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [SpongeBob runs home]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Gary reading a bedtime story]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Snail Tales?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 13, Complete Eighth Season, SpongeBob on Tour, Patrick's Day, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- SpongeBob has a phone next to the TV in his house in this episode.
- SpongeBob is shown to have a storage room/pantry that has not appeared in any episodes before this one.
- When Patrick is about to spray water onto Gary with a hose, he says, "If you don't come to the bath, then the bath's gonna come to you." This is similar to SpongeBob in "Gary Takes a Bath," when he says, "If I can't bring you (Gary) to the bath, then I'll just have to bring the bath to you."
- In this episode, Patrick was able to successfully give Gary a bath unlike SpongeBob, who could not give him a bath in "Gary Takes a Bath."
- Patrick had wanted to dry Gary off with salt. If Patrick had used salt, he would have dried Gary up, while shrivelling him up, and killing him, as salt is a dangerous thing for gastropods to come into contact with.
- SpongeBob can be seen swimming in this episode. However, it was previously shown in "SpongeGuard on Duty" that he couldn't swim and Larry teaches him and Patrick how to.
- This episode marks the second time "The Pineapple" is used as SpongeBob's address. The first is in "BlackJack."
- This is the second episode where Gary stays with Patrick. The first is "Dumped."
- This is the second episode in which Gary has been mistakenly referred to as Fred. The first was in "I Was a Teenage Gary," where Gary was coincidentally referred to said name by another pet sitter, Squidward, whom also ended up neglecting Gary, also unintentionally.
- This episode marks the last speaking appearance of Grandma SquarePants, before her voice actor, Marion Ross, retired from television in 2018.
- This episode marks the only instance of Grandma SquarePants' house being shown at night.
- Grandma SquarePants' phone has only seven number dials when usually there are nine.
- When Patrick tries to clean Gary with a flamethrower, he burns SpongeBob's bed to ashes, but at the end of the episode, his bed is seen again with a mattress, a blanket, and some pillows still being intact.
- The name Snail Tails is incorrect as it should be Snail Tales.
- The book had the correct spelling in Patrick's list of things to do with Gary.
- Patrick doing something violent and dangerous with Gary.
- SpongeBob mistaking whatever Patrick and Gary do for having fun.