- Patchy the Pirate (cameo)
- Potty the Parrot (cameo)
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Molluscs (mentioned)
- Early Bikini Bottomites
- Patrick Revere (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Great Grandpa Krabs (mentioned)
- Frankie Billy
- Monroe Timmy
- Old Man Jenkins
- Sandy Cheeks
- Rosie Cheeks (debut)
- Human oil drillers (debut)
- Sherm SquarePants (cameo)
- Abigail Marge
- Ivy (gray)
- Nat Peterson
- Norma Rechid
- Susie Rechid
- SquareHead family (mentioned)
- SquareShirt family (mentioned)
- SpongeBuck SquarePants (debut)
- Dead Eye Gulch/Bikini Gulch citizens
- Tapey (debut)
- Pecos Patrick (debut)
- Dead Eye Plankton (debut)
- Talking skulls (debut)
Mr. Krabs told the two of his great-great-grandpappy Krabs, who invented a painful security invention that hurts the fingers of anyone who touches the booby-trapped dollar bill. While walking, SpongeBob runs into Sandy who revealed that she has a relative named Rosie Cheeks who was the first squirrel to discover oil in Texas. Feeling sorry for SpongeBob, Sandy takes him to the library to "dig around his family tree." SpongeBob learns that he is the great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandson of a Western hero, Sheriff SpongeBuck SquarePants. Sandy tells SpongeBob the story of SpongeBuck SquarePants. SpongeBuck arrived at a town named Dead Eye Gulch and goes to a theater/saloon named Krusty Kantina.
SpongeBuck got to be a Sheriff by William Krabs even though he just wanted to be a fry cook (Mr. Krabs' Ancestor). But then, a villain named Dead Eye Plankton (Plankton's ancestor) arrived there and SpongeBuck had to face him at high noon (12:00 PM). SpongeBuck got kicked away, and Pecos Patrick Star (Patrick's ancestor) met him. SpongeBuck got a nickname for him, and it was Idiot Friend. Pecos Patrick told him to defeat Dead Eye Plankton by smacking him several times. When they get back to town (via a giant cactus that made SpongeBuck and Pecos Patrick jump so high that they landed in Dead Eye Gulch), SpongeBuck met Dead Eye Plankton, and the two walked towards each other as though it was a Western duel. However, the fight ended very quickly, as SpongeBuck stepped on Dead Eye Plankton. William Krabs also tried stomping on him, and he decided to set up a business where the townsfolk could squish Dead Eye. Western Pufferfish was first in line to crush him. All the residents of Bikini Gulch built a golden statue of SpongeBuck (Squidward's ancestor liked his design better, which was him as a muscular man), and William Krabs, Hopalong Tentacles, Pecos Patrick, and Western Pufferfish holding SpongeBuck in a picture.
At the end, SpongeBob is amazed by his ancestor's actions but wonders whatever happened to his statue as it seemed way better than the current one. SpongeBob soon realizes that the statue is really covered in jellyfish feces, hence the statue's different look. He cleans it up by scrubbing himself all across it, which disgusts Sandy who wonders about SpongeBob's intelligence before he shows her the statue of his ancestor and she realizes his reasons. SpongeBob then sees the golden statue of his ancestor, SpongeBuck under the jellyfish poop while apologizing to it for not recognizing it due to its earlier condition. After that, SpongeBob and Sandy walk away, while SpongeBob is saying that maybe someday, people will know the name SpongeBob SquarePants.
Then, in the epilogue, SpongeBuck and Pecos Patrick sang a song called "Idiot Friends."
There was a marathon of episodes prior to the premiere of "Pest of the West" that people voted upon online.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Open and End Fanfare - Nino Nardini ["Ahoy, it's a SpongeBob SquarePants special!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Ahoy, it's a SpongeBob SquarePants special!"]
‣ Ride Stallion Ride 2 - Billy Roues, Steven Roues, Gary Solomon [title card]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [opening at Krusty Krab]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["The mollusks are coming!"]
‣ Colonial March - Larry Hochman ["He rode through the streets warning Bikini Bottom of the coming hordes of ravenous, man-eating mollusks!"]
‣ Bridgehead - Sam Fonteyn ["It's too bad nobody listened to him."]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [the spendthrift billfold system]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [poop-covered statue]
‣ The Wild Wild West - John Fox [Sandy's aunt discovers oil]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob is upset that he does not have any famous relatives]
‣ Steel Licks (g) - Jeremy Wakefield [exterior of library]
‣ Steel Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy opens the book]
‣ Old 49er - Nicolas Carr ["It's a statue of SpongeBuck SquarePants!"]
‣ High Noon - John Anthony [SpongeBuck arrives in Dead Eye Gulch]
‣ Western Spaghetti - Eric Caspar, Eric Gemsa [funeral and ice cream parlor]
‣ Pineapple Rag - Scott Joplin, Bill Novick, Paul Lenart [inside the Krusty Kantina/SpongeBob orders a shot of milk]
‣ ? ["Oh, yeah... smooth."]
‣ Mountain Dew (b) - Graham Preskett [SpongeBuck's chili]
‣ Room for Gloom - Sam Fonteyn [Old Dead Tree Hill]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["He's a-comin'! Dead Eye's a-comin'!"]
• Dead Eye - Luke Brookshier, Tom King, Tuck Tucker, Eban Schletter
‣ Tied to the Tracks - Larry Hochman ["That's me... Dead Eye Plankton!"]
‣ Silent Tears - Keith Nichols ["How am I supposed to keep the deed to me saloon..."]
‣ Blackbeard - Sam Fonteyn [Plankton takes money from Krabs]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["Who said that?!"]
‣ Stand-Up Comic C - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [rimshot]
‣ Gunfighters and Lawmen - John Cacavas ["Who are you, anyway?"]
‣ First Call/Call to the Post - SpongeBuck as a "coffin jockey"
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Where do you get these guys?"]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["All right, kid, I'm gonna make it simple for you."]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton sighs]
‣ Tied to the Tracks - Larry Hochman [Plankton whips SpongeBuck]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [Plankton laughs evilly]
‣ Spaghetti Western (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBuck riding through the desert]
‣ Patchy's Parched Blues - Nicolas Carr ["Looks like the end of the trail."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Pecos Patrick appears]
‣ Reckless Rufus - Jerry Burnham, Stephen Wade, Tom Layton ["Oh, hey, SpongeBuck!"]
‣ Patchy's Parched Blues - Nicolas Carr ["I ain't no sheriff or fry cook or even coffin jockey."]
‣ The Outlaw (a) - Ron Goodwin ["Out west, a man gets right back up on his coffin."]
‣ ? [crude drawing of Patrick]
‣ The Outlaw (a) - Ron Goodwin ["Okay, okay, I'll do it."]
‣ Spaghetti Western (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [shortcut to Dead Eye Gulch]
‣ Dirty Work at the Crossroads - Sam Fonteyn ["Why are we going so fast?"]
‣ The Ogre - Keith Nichols ["Okay, let's see."]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (f) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBuck and Patrick fall from the sky]
‣ The Wild West (a) - Ron Goodwin ["Hi, guys! I'm back in the nick of time!"]
‣ The Gunfighter - Franco Micalizzi, Roberto Predagio ["Plankton's taken everything!"]
‣ Reckless Rufus - Jerry Burnham, Stephen Wade, Tom Layton ["Why y'all standin' in your pajamas?"]
‣ Spaghetti Cowboy - Michael Jakszyk ["Come on, guys, we can do this if we work together."]
‣ Fife and Drum March - Larry Hochman [they huddle up]
‣ ? ["You don't have a plan, do you?"]
‣ The Wild West - Larry Hochman ["But I know we can beat him!"]
‣ High Noon - John Anthony [high noon]
‣ The Aftermath OL B - Christopher Slaski [SpongeBuck and Plankton slowly approach each other]
‣ Western Pop - Laurent Lombard [SpongeBuck steps on Plankton]
‣ Old 49er - Nicolas Carr [everyone cheers]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Yee-haw! Yee-haw! Yee-haw!"]
‣ Arizona Cakewalk - Keith Nichols ["Step right up, everyone!"]
‣ ? [crude drawing of SpongeBuck and Patrick]
‣ Arizona Cakewalk - Keith Nichols ["Come with me, I want to show you something."]
‣ Western Ballad - Pierre Jean Gidon ["Thank you, Sheriff SpongeBuck, for saving our town."]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr [statue of SpongeBuck]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's design]
‣ Cattle Drive - John Cacavas [fry cook badge]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [SpongeBob and Sandy leave the library]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a minute."]
‣ Steel Sting (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob walks up to the statue.]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cleaning the statue]
‣ Riding the Range (a) - Tony Kinsey ["SpongeBuck was here all along!"]
• Idiot Friends - Tuck Tucker, Eban Schletter [ending]
‣ Ride Stallion Ride 2 - Billy Roues, Steven Roues, Gary Solomon [closing credits]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Pest of the West, Season 5 Volume 2, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of June 10, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 219 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.5/10 based on 156 votes.
- Although this episode premiered in early 2008, it was made in 2007 according to the credits.
- There is a book based on this, which took five years to be released after this episode premiered.
- In one of the Burger King commercials about kids' meal toys based on this special, a 7-second animation was shown with SpongeBuck and Pecos Patrick trying to ride seahorses.
- The Bikini Bottom Library reappears in this episode.
- It first appeared in "Mid-Life Crustacean."
- The pages of Family Histories of Bikini Bottom book is not written in English or, at least, does not appear to be, but Sandy could still read it. Sometimes, it is written with Cyrillic Alphabets (Russian language).
- Many years before, in "Dunces and Dragons," Bikini Bottom was a very large kingdom. Here, it is a tiny town. In "Back to the Past" it is a small village and in most episodes, it is an average city. Also, in "SB-129," it is a large prehistoric jungle. Years later, Bikini Bottom in "Ugh," it is very similar. Overall, Bikini Bottom's size and location changes several times along with the population.
- Dead Eye Gulch was called "Bikini Gulch" before being attacked by Dead Eye.
- Both of Patrick's ancestors in this episode are shown warning their town or what it was during their era that something is coming to town.
- Nat Peterson has two ancestors shown in this episode: one who appears in a flashback where Patrick's ancestor, Patrick Revere, warns Bikini Bottom of the mollusks and the other while SpongeBuck entered the Krusty Kantina, his western ancestor is seen at a far away corner from the counter. Later, when SpongeBuck approaches the counter, Nat's ancestor is seen near the center of the cantina.
- Hopalong calls SpongeBuck a "yokel," which is a derogatory term for someone from a poor country or the rural areas.
- The word "idiot" is prominent in this episode. According to the SpongeBob's Greatest Hits CD booklet, it is said seventeen times. It is used in the featured song "Idiot Friends." However, it is actually only said sixteen times.
- It is hard to hear, but at the very end of the song "Idiot Friends," about a quarter of a second before the episode ends, a fish can be heard yelling "Help me!" really fast.
- Archetypal Western references:
- Town is strikingly close to a railroad/railway
- "High noon" duel (High noon is a term used in the frontier to refer to the time of day which the sun was at its peak and usually deviated from true noon... though not by much)
- Newcomer named Sheriff in a haste
- Tyrant Bandit
- This is the first episode to use Wacom Cintiqs for drawings instead of pencils. The shift to Wacom Cintiqs lets the designers and animators draw on a computer screen and make immediate changes or undo mistakes.
- This is the first episode to have two places in one spot, the instance being Dead Eye Funeral Parlor and Ice Cream Parlor.
- This is the second double-length special of season 5. The first is "Friend or Foe."
- This is the second episode to use the opening scene where Patchy says "Ahoy, it's a SpongeBob SquarePants special." The first was "Have You Seen This Snail?"
- This is the last episode to use the static Nickelodeon splat logo in the end credits. Every episode after used either the lightbulb or the CGI splat.
- This episode premiered five years after Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast opened.
- This is Nat Peterson's 100th episode appearance.
- This episode takes place in 1882 because it reads "Somewhere around 1882" on the back of the SpongeBob's Pest of the West DVD.
- Patrick Revere and the mollusks are a reference to Paul Revere and his midnight ride during the battle of Lexington and Concord, the first battle of the revolutionary war the mollusks being the British or as he called the regulars.
- The Dead Eye Gulch flashback story is similar to most wild west movies, especially the duel part.
- When Sandy says, "That boy ain’t hooked up right," it is a reference to the quote "That boy ain’t right" from the TV series King of the Hill.
- The name Dead Eye Gulch may be a reference to the infamous gold rush town of deadwood which was popularized by the HBO show of the same name the Dead Eye Gulch also bears a strong resemblance to the actual town.
- The number of generations from SpongeBuck to SpongeBob is the same as the number of generations from Adam and Noah.
- There are numerous references to Back to the Future Part III.
- The Family Histories of Bikini Bottom is similar to the book, "A History of Hill Valley." Both books contain information about the families of the towns.
- Both fictional cities, Hill Valley and Bikini Bottom. started out as western towns.
- Western Hill Valley contained look-a-likes, just like this episode.
- SpongeBuck's hat looks similar to the one that Seamus McFly wore.
- Hill Valley contains a nearby train, just like Dead Eye Gulch did.
- The fact that Sandy was the one that helped SpongeBob to find "Family Histories of Bikini Bottom" is similar to how 1955 Doc Brown helped Marty to find "A History of Hill Valley."
- This episode has scenes from 1993 TV series, Walker, Texas Ranger, and 1994 TV series, Renegade.
- The Idiot Friends tune is taken from "She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain."
- After SpongeBuck leaves the train near Dead Eye Gulch, it and its tracks do not appear for the rest of the episode.
- When SpongeBuck has an ice cream, he walks to the Krusty Kantina. But when he walks inside, his ice cream disappears.
- When SpongeBuck comes to Dead Eye Gulch and sits at the bar, he is somewhere in the middle, but later, he is sitting at the end.
- When SpongeBuck finishes drinking his milk the first time, one of his white teeth turns yellow for a second.
- After SpongeBuck states to Dead Eye Plankton, "Hey, that's not your money," his eyelashes disappear.
- During the scene where SpongeBuck is riding his coffin inside of the Krusty Kantina, the darker part of Nat's body that appears above his bandana is colored the same as the rest of his body.
- Throughout the whole scene as mentioned above, SpongeBuck's teeth color changes to yellow for a few frames multiple times.
- This is likely due to the animators having to animate SpongeBuck hopping up and down in his coffin and him talking at the same time, making it harder to correctly add color to his model.
- SpongeBuck's black cowboy boots in this episode change to SpongeBob's modern-day socks and shoes halfway through the episode, when he shows up for the showdown at high noon, and stay like that for the remainder of the episode.
- When SpongeBuck and Dead Eye walk towards each other, they were a few feet away from each other, but in the next clip they were still walking without reaching each other.
- Towards the end of the episode, when Sandy tells SpongeBob to "keep dreaming," the light brown part of her head is instead brown.
- The buildings in Dead Eye Gulch are constantly changing. The Krusty Kantina and the Bank are mostly the same, but some buildings change color throughout the episode. Also, the names of the stores are changing, too. For example, the "Dead Eye General Store" turned into "Dead Eye Boots." The number of buildings also seem to change.
- Many sound effects and dialogue are out of sync with the graphics.
- When Pecos Patrick says, "Oh, hey SpongeBuck!" in the Russian dub he is called SpongeBob.
|Pest of the West (V • E)|
Locations: Dead Eye Gulch • Krusty Kantina • Old Dead Tree Hill • Boot Hill • Dead Eye Funeral Parlor and Ice Cream Parlor • Dead Eye Bank • Dead Eye Boots • Dead Eye General Store • Dead Eye Jail • Dead Eye Grocery • Dead Eye Butcher • Dead Eye Hardware