- Eugene H. Krabs
- Debbie Rechid
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Billy (name revealed)
- Billy's mom
- Squidward Tentacles
- Bikini Bottom Construction Company
- Fred (blue)
- Norma Rechid
- Jimmy Gus
- Patrick Star (cameo in photos)
- Gary the Snail
While at a discount store one day, Mr. Krabs finishes up purchasing multiple items. On his way out of the store, he spots SpongeBob picking something up. Mr. Krabs realizes and assumes he picked up a penny off the ground. Mr. Krabs starts to remember SpongeBob picking up the penny until the store clerk tells him he is holding up the line.
On his way home, he starts complaining how SpongeBob got a free penny, while other people have to work for one. So, he decides to calm himself down, but every time he sees anything circular, he keeps having visions of pennies, and becomes obsessed with getting SpongeBob's penny. The next day at work, he asks SpongeBob if he found anything special, and if he can share it with him, only for SpongeBob to reply that he found a brand new day, not a penny. Once SpongeBob goes into the kitchen, Mr. Krabs asks if he can ever borrow the penny. SpongeBob says that he doesn't have one. Mr. Krabs then makes SpongeBob check all of his pockets, and shakes him upside down but instead gets SpongeBob's brain out, causing his brain to crawl away. As a result, Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob both chase his brain until SpongeBob is able to capture it.
Later, SpongeBob and Squidward hear loud noises, so they go and check what it is, only to see Mr. Krabs building a theater behind the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs opens up the movie theater, and makes admission worth a penny, so he will get SpongeBob's penny, but he does not have one, so in frustration, he destroys the theater. Later that night, SpongeBob returns to the Krusty Krab, only to be surprised that Squidward is fancy for the Krusty Krab Semi-Annual Charity Night, a show put on by Mr. Krabs. He goes to his table and Mr. Krabs starts the show. The show, Pennies for the Penny-less, shows how he does not have a penny and needs one. Mr. Krabs says that SpongeBob can end this travesty by donating just one penny to him, but SpongeBob still does not have one, as Mr. Krabs breaks.
Later that night, Mr. Krabs spies on SpongeBob as he leaves his house. He breaks into SpongeBob's house with a metal detector to find the penny. SpongeBob comes in and notices Mr. Krabs. Mr. Krabs then explains how he wanted the penny SpongeBob found on the ground and says he is sorry. SpongeBob shows him that it was not a penny, but a dried up piece of gum, for his gum collection. Mr. Krabs is surprised that there was no penny, though is seemingly relieved and leaves.
SpongeBob soon discovers that it was a five hundred dollar bill, which he leaves on the floor and heads to bed. Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs is revealed to not believe the penny was fake and is now digging for the penny, all around SpongeBob's house.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Drunken Sailor (c) - Nicolas Carr [Title card]
‣ Happy Choo Choo (a) - Otto Sieben [Krabs at the supermarket]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs driving home]
‣ Drama Link (a) - Hubert Clifford ["Okay, okay, get a grip Krabs. Just concentrate on driving."]
‣ Drama Link (k) - Hubert Clifford [Mr. Krabs screams when he thought his steering wheel was a penny]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford ["Okay, getting all worked up over a little coin."]
‣ Trouble Spot - Van Phillips ["I GOTTA HAVE THAT PENNY!!!"]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [the next day at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Krusty Krab Tango - Steve Marston [SpongeBob checking all his pockets]
‣ Alien Spacecraft C - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob's brain falls out]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Krabs chasing the brain]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Darn."]
‣ Big Show Theme - Robert Sharples [movie theater being built]
‣ Playbill - Wilfred William Burns [grand opening/"...witness the terrifying challenges overcome by... by..."]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [flipbook]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [Krabs screams]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [theater demolished]
‣ Cocktail Lounge - Dick Stephen Walter [Krusty Krab charity night]
‣ Tragic Embrace - Peter Orm, Paul Orm ["Hello, and welcome to a very important evening."]
‣ Unknown Track 32 - slideshow
‣ Beautiful Moonlit Night - George Wilson [Krabs says to donate a penny to him]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I would like to donate a penny."]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [Krabs sneaks into SpongeBob's house]
‣ Drama Link (k) - Hubert Clifford ["What is this metal detector doing on the floor?"]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White [Krabs apologizes]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [shot of dried-up gum]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs leaves]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [$500 bill]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["This won't go with my chewed up gum collection."]
‣ Drunken Sailor (c) - Nicolas Carr [ending]
- This episode is available on the Spongicus, Season 6 Volume 1, Complete Sixth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of June 18, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.5/10 based on 200 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 5.8/10 based on 162 votes.
- The title card for this episode is similar to those of "Dumped" and "Patrick SmartPants."
- This episode has the same title card music as "Nautical Novice" and these episodes are paired together. This is similar to what happened with "Naughty Nautical Neighbors"/"Boating School," but they have different parts of the music being played.
- Debbie Rechid is seen as a cashier in this episode.
- The cashier says to Mr. Krabs that his coupons expired over thirty years ago, which means that Mr. Krabs is over 30 years old. This also means that this episode takes place sometime after Mr. Krabs' 30th birthday on November 30, 1972.
- The plot is similar to "One Krabs Trash," because in both episodes, Mr. Krabs really wants something that SpongeBob has.
- It is revealed that SpongeBob is a brain whisperer.
- The movie posters that Mr. Krabs has on the wall of the movie theater are "Love," "Scary," "Buddies," "Hero," and "Kids."
- This episode is the first time that The Drunken Sailor plays outside of a title card.
- This is the fourth episode where Mr. Krabs goes crazy just to get one penny. The first is "Culture Shock," when he smells a penny on a table and takes off like a rocket destroying the table. The second is "Imitation Krabs," where he chases a penny down the street leaving the Krusty Krab nearly unguarded. Lastly, the third is "Born Again Krabs," where he almost rips off a customer's arm for one.
- Unlike all the other episodes, this episode involves Mr. Krabs going crazy for a penny for almost the entire episode.
- This episode premiered on Rik Mayall's 50th birthday and seven years after "No Free Rides" and "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic."
- This episode was going to be part of The Boating School Marathon but was replaced by "New Student Starfish."
- In the German version of this episode, the episode is called "Ohne einen Penny," which means "Without a Penny."
- This is Fred's 100th episode appearance.
- When Mr. Krabs shows the images during his presentation at the Krusty Krab, the total value of all the coins he shows is 65 cents.
- The episode's title comes from the term "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish."
- The clerk already scanned a few items inside Mr. Krabs' grocery basket. After she asks for the price check on one item, the other items are inside Mr. Krabs' grocery basket again.
- When Mr. Krabs looks at SpongeBob picking up a "penny," he is out of the line, though, when he is told by the cashier that he is holding the line, he is right back in line.
- Billy, one of Mr. Krabs' old bullies from "Friend or Foe," is shown to be around the same age as he was seen in "Friend or Foe" and appears to not even recognize Mr. Krabs.
- When Mr. Krabs is seen from a distance, people hear dolphin chirps. Billy in the boat with his mother, and two people listening to Mr. Krabs announce the new theater.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)