- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sea spiders
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Tom (name revealed; green; brown)
- Fred (name revealed)
- Tina Fran
- Cara (2 cameos)
- Martha Smith
- Old Man Jenkins
- Norma Rechid
- Nathiel Waters
- Vera Fishbowl
- Jennifer Millie
- Abigail Marge
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Harold (red fish)
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Billy (lime fish)
- Members of the Band (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Realistic Fish Head
- Monroe Timmy
- Don the Whale
- Frank (muscular goldfish)
- Scotsman (debut)
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Sandals (debut)
- SpongeBob's fan
- Taylor Fishbowl (debut)
- Frank (red shirt)
- Miss Shell
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- Squidina's mother
- Ivy (gray) (Fred-colored, normal)
- Ivy (green)
- Skinny fish
- Olive fish
- Debbie Rechid
- Frankie Billy (can barely be seen)
- Incidental 33
- Other customers
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The Krusty Krab, having gone without a customer for 36 days, is filled with dust, cobwebs, and even a skeleton. An emaciated fish crawls in, claiming that he hasn't had any sustenance in three days. After confirming the fellow can pay, Mr. Krabs has SpongeBob bring him a meal. However, the fish refuses, saying that there's no pizzazz in the Krusty Krab, and so resumes his search for food, water, and atmosphere. Mr. Krabs remains skeptical, but then overhears a conversation between Tom and Fred about a talking dog at the Shell Shack, and realizes that what he needs is a gimmick to attract customers. SpongeBob tries to share an idea, but Mr. Krabs decides instead to bury himself alive and which will easily draw in a crowd. When news of the talking dog singing reaches them, though, they quickly leave.
SpongeBob remains ignored by Mr. Krabs, who desperately racks his brain for an answer, until he appears from the heavens heralding to Mr. Krabs his idea. Finally having his attention, SpongeBob shows him a green patty. Mr. Krabs is disgusted thinking that the patty is spoiled and tries to incinerate it. SpongeBob then removes his fire-proof suit to reveal Pretty Patties, Krabby Patties painted in "six designer colors." Mr. Krabs and Squidward laugh at this notion, mocking SpongeBob with other ridiculous novelties such as sequin milkshakes and bow-tie French fries. Deeply hurt, SpongeBob quits his job as a fry cook and vows to open his own restaurant and prove them wrong, making them laugh all the more.
With Patrick's help, SpongeBob sets up a stand in front of his house to sell his Pretty Patties, though it initially seems unsuccessful. He tries to give a passerby a Pretty Patty, who laughs at its green color. SpongeBob is about to give up when the fish notices a Patty in purple, his favorite color, and proclaims Pretty Patties to be the best idea ever.
News of the skyrocketing sales of Pretty Patties reaches Mr. Krabs at a rundown Krusty Krab, who incredulously decides to take a look. There are thousands of customers surrounding the stand, clamoring for their turn. Mr. Krabs notes that he's never had a line before, much less the 46,853 customers that SpongeBob is currently waiting on. Finally making it through the crowd, Mr. Krabs meekly congratulates SpongeBob on his success. While proud of what he's achieved, SpongeBob admits he misses his days at the Krusty Krab. Seeing an opportunity, Mr. Krabs persuades SpongeBob to give him the rights to his Pretty Patty stand in exchange for the key to the Krusty Krab. Utterly entranced with his fortune, SpongeBob starts rollicking inside and outside his new restaurant.
The next day, as Mr. Krabs prepares to rake in the dough, the customers all angrily arrive, demand refunds, and complain that the Pretty Patties had an unfortunate side effect: whatever color was eaten is what color the customer became. A fish demonstrating a glow-in-the-dark tongue states that all 46,853 of them want their money back, but under the cover of darkness, Mr. Krabs has hightailed it.
The customers form an angry, rainbow-colored mob and start to begin chasing Mr. Krabs, leaving a rainbow trail behind them. He runs to the Krusty Krab and attempts to unlock the door, but remembers that he gave his key to SpongeBob, who is currently preoccupied with the sound of his beloved squeaky pickles. The episode ends with Mr. Krabs still being chased.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [title card]
‣ Kona Angel - The Surfdusters [opening]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Hold on, me bucko, food's on the way!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Food! Water! Atmosphere!"]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland ["Money walking!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Krabs gets an idea]
‣ Here Comes the Band! (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Krabs buried alive]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [later...]
‣ Here's Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [Krabs trying to think of an idea]
‣ Heavenly Voices (b) - David Farnon [SpongeBob dressed as an angel]
‣ ? [drum roll]
‣ The Circus Comes to Town! - Dick Stephen Walter ["Ta-da!"]
‣ Showtime (c) - Robert Sharples ["Pretty Patties, available in six designer colors."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Krabs and Squidward make fun of SpongeBob's Pretty Patties]
‣ Puka A - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob opens his own restaurant]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob getting old]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [Patrick climbs into SpongeBob]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Mr. Krabs was right!"]
‣ Grand Orchestral Fanfare - Gregor F. Narholz ["Pretty Patties is the best idea ever!"]
‣ Dreamy Serenade - Len Rawle [Krabs watching TV]
‣ Stop Press - Vivian Kennard [Bikini Bottom News]
‣ Scotland the Brave/The Rowan Tree - Rob Mathieson [plaid Pretty Patty]
‣ Unknown Track 88 - Nicolas Carr ["How can you make money with such a stupid idea?"]
‣ Arnold is Back 2 - Gregor F. Narholz ["We tried burying it, shredding it and burning it."]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [Krabs runs outside]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [line of customers]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White ["Isn't this great, Mr. Krabs?"]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["I bet you miss Squidward, and the grill, and the crow's nest."/SpongeBob skips and hops happily]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Uh... yes, I do, lad."]
‣ Glamorous Affair (a) - John Fox, Otto Sieben [Krabs gives SpongeBob the Krusty Krab key]
‣ Nostalgic Romance - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob overjoyed]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [the next day]
‣ King Kong Coming - Gregor F. Narholz [everyone demands a refund]
‣ 12th Street Rag 3 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric, Complete 2nd Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- In fan-voted SpongeBob SquarePants marathons, "Patty Hype" was ranked #26 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006 and #9 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- This episode, along with "Wormy," was the first to air in 2001. However, this episode was made in 2000 according to the credits.
- This episode premiered in Canada on April 13, 2001.
- When SpongeBob is cleaning the Krusty Krab near the end, the drive-through window also seen in "Driven to Tears" is shown.
- Tom's and Fred's names are both revealed in this episode.
- Pretty Patties come in a different variety of colors, such as:
- Various other unseen colors
- Various episodes show Bikini Bottom to have anywhere from no people to over 500 people living there. Many surrounding cities must have had to come to Bikini Bottom to obtain a Pretty Patty as there were over 46,853 customers.
- On the Krusty Krab window, along with the picture of a Krabby Patty, there are also pictures of fries and a soda. In other episodes, there is only the Krabby Patty poster.
- Like some fish food, especially goldfish food, Pretty Patties change the color of the fish that eat it.
- This episode has become a popular YouTube Poop.
- The scene where Mr. Krabs uses a flamethrower to destroy a Pretty Patty also became popular on YouTube.
- This episode's Japanese title is "Bāgā urikomi sakusen," which means "Burger Selling Strategy."
- The scene where everyone wants a refund from the Pretty Patties has become a popular internet meme. More particular, the part where the camera focuses on Mr. Krabs as he frantically looks around. The meme is titled "Confused Mr. Krabs." The image is edited with a distorted spiral starting at the edges.
- The scene with Mr. Krabs running from the mob while showing SpongeBob playing with pickles is also popular, with someone replacing the mob with something else, such as Galeem’s light beams from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- 46,853 is a five-digit prime number.
- Mr. Krabs burying himself alive is realistic, as different species of crab do this all the time. Two examples are the stone crab and hermit crab.
- After Mr. Krabs comes to see SpongeBob, Patrick's stand is no longer seen and Patrick is not seen for the rest of the episode.
- On Nickelodeon Latin America airings, after Harold says "Pretty Patties is the best idea ever!," the episode goes to commercials, and goes back from commercials in the scene where Mr. Krabs is crying in the next scene.
- Frank mentions that there are 46,853 customers who want their money back, but there should be more because that is the number of customers that SpongeBob had when Mr. Krabs arrived and because there were a lot more customers waiting.
- Fred's voice is different in the scene where he tells everyone the talking dog is singing compared to when he was talking to Tom.
- Mrs. Puff is seen standing in the back of the crowd, but she is very skinny and her hair is longer. Her dress changes from solid blue to red with a blue collar several times.
- Before SpongeBob gets interviewed, on the aerial view of their stand, he and Patrick are just heads without bodies, behind their stand. During the interview, however, they are in front of their stand, full body.
- Mr. Krabs says that he has never had a line before, though there is a line at the Krusty Krab.
- A few of fishes in the line are facing the wrong side.
- And there are two fishes that don't have pupils.
- Ivy's shirt is also left transparent and not colored in.
- If SpongeBob gave the anchovy a Pretty Patty after he asks who #46,853 is, the "Now Serving" sign should have flipped to #46,854, but it does not, and even Frank says that 46,853 of them want their money back.
- At the beginning of the episode, when the fish crawls into the Krusty Krab, he says he needs food, water, and atmosphere. He would not need water because he is already underwater, so he is not dehydrated.
- Mr. Krabs' flamethrower has no trigger.
- When SpongeBob wakes up and says, "Patrick! How long have we been sitting here?," SpongeBob's pineapple vanishes.
- SpongeBob's hands are slightly bigger than normal in some shots.
- Part of Mr. Krabs' claw overlaps the "Enter" sign when he falls after hitting the back of the line.
- Despite Pretty Patties giving notable customers the unfortunate side effects, they do not effect the rest of the customers.
- When SpongeBob holds the patties, they can be seen in the following order: green, red, purple, orange, pink, and yellow. However, after Harold says, "Purple is my favorite color," the red and purple patties are swapped.
- In some frames throughout the episode, despite this being season 2, Patrick can be seen with his original M-shaped eyebrows from season 1.
- Patrick activating his inflatable pants.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|