- Abigail Marge
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Debbie Rechid
- Nathiel Waters
- SWAT Team
- Frankie Billy
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Patrick Star
- Karen Plankton
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Sandy Cheeks
- Gary the Snail
- Marcie O'Malley (debut)
- Officer John Slugfish
- Judge Trout
- Nat Peterson
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Vera Fishbowl
Mr. Krabs summons SpongeBob to his office, where he tells SpongeBob that he has run low on the secret ingredient of the krabby patty formula. However, he is expecting a delievery to refill it and tells him to retrieve it from a S.W.A.T. truck driver but threatens punishment if he loses it.
After receiving the case, SpongeBob opens the briefcase, only to find the ingredient isn't there. However, the only clue left is a small hole in the briefcase, as Patrick appears to see him and SpongeBob tells him of what occurred. SpongeBob and Patrick then go on a mission to find out who stole it.
First, they suspect Plankton, since he is the only one that has ever tried to steal a Krabby Patty and since he had a Krabby Patty. Plankton asks if it is a joke, then to make him tell the truth, Patrick threatens him with clackers, with still no answer.
SpongeBob picks up the "Krabby Patty" and shows it to Plankton who then explains that he learned every ingredient but the secret ingredient and tested many ingredients to decipher the formula completely and was currently on raw sewage.
Next, they suspect Sandy (since SpongeBob suspected someone who is a scientist and engineer), who is storing Krabby Patties for the winter, but says she just bought them. SpongeBob's story of Sandy's crime was that she used an invisible potion to make her vanish, so nobody can see her. She then used her time-freezing invention to shoot a laser blast through the briefcase and take off, continuing the timeline again. However, Sandy brings up the possibility of simply ordering the food. To prove her point, she angrily shows SpongeBob a receipt for 283 patties and the nervous SpongeBob remembers cooking the order and apologizes for the accusations. She suggests that they should go and look at SpongeBob's house, so the friends suspect Gary.
SpongeBob suggests that Gary took a helicopter ride towards the delivery, so when SpongeBob knelt down to fix his socks and while everyone is distracted, Gary parachuted down and used his acid from his tear ducts to melt a hole big enough for him to grab the briefcase. Gary says it would not be possible, and SpongeBob realizes he would never stop to pull up his sock during a secret delivery. Gary says he saw someone leaving the Krusty Krab with a black case. Gary describes the person to Patrick and Patrick concludes the person is Squidward. They interrogate Squidward, who does have a black case, but when they open the case, they find it holds tap dancing shoes Squidward used at a tap dancing contest, where he got third place.
SpongeBob goes back to the Krusty Krab and admits to Mr. Krabs that he lost the secret ingredient and that he cannot find it or who took it. Mr. Krabs then suspects SpongeBob suggesting that SpongeBob used a decoy to look like he was picking up the delivery, then when everyone wasn't looking, SpongeBob swooped in, took the briefcase and then flew it over to the Chum Bucket where he sold it to Plankton for a quick buck and almost calls the cops, but two officers hop out of a barrel and explain that they've already heard everything.
Mr. Krabs then tells the officers to arrest SpongeBob, but SpongeBob sees the secret ingredient is in Mr. Krabs' hand, making it clear he was the one who stole it. Mr. Krabs sheepishly explains to the cops that the whole scheme was just to avoid paying $1.99 for the delivery. However, the officers arrest him for the theft, attempted frame of his employee, and his cheap nature. Rather than admit what he did was wrong, Mr. Krabs frantically asks what he did.
After his arrest, the judge punishes him by giving away free Krabby Patties for a day, to his horror. Mr. Krabs states he couldn't bear the sight of doing such a thing. The next day, SpongeBob gives away the patties, while Mr. Krabs is forcibly watching the scene strapped to a chair while the officers (presumably are present to ensure he upholds the sentence) hold on to his eyes as he screams in agony at the sight.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [opening]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["No!"]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs entrusts SpongeBob to retrieve the secret ingredient]
‣ West Side Rumble - Sam Spence [delivery truck arrives]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["...don't bother coming back to work!"]
‣ The Protector (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob goes outside to retrieve the ingredient]
‣ The Quest (a) - Will Schaefer [empty briefcase]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sees a hole in the briefcase]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#6] - Gerhard Narholz [SpongeBob realizes the ingredient was stolen]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick squirts mustard on the briefcase]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob tells Patrick about the stolen ingredient]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr ["We'll have to do a little detective work."]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [at the Chum Bucket]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Aha! I knew it was you!"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick laughs]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["All right, no more jokes!"]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [Plankton explains]
‣ Unknown Track 100 - raw sewage patty
‣ Midnight Feast - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Well, he's clean."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm, a scientist."]
‣ Deep Cover - Carlo Giacco [Sandy burying Krabby Patties]
‣ Cold Sweat - John Scott [SpongeBob accuses Sandy of stealing the ingredient]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [invisibility potion]
‣ Midnight Feast - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [receipt for 283 Krabby Patties]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["My own house, huh?"]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [interrogating Gary]
‣ Chasey Racey - Norman Dane ["First, you hitched a ride on a security chopper."]
‣ Murder Scene 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Patrick does a sketch of Squidward]
‣ Wave Running A - Charlie Brissette ["Open up in there, Tentacles!"]
‣ ? [music on Squidward's headphones]
‣ Finger of Fear - Fredric Bayco ["Gotcha! You thought you could hide your crimes."]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [Squidward with a mysterious black case]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Yes! Because you can't make Krabby Patties without..."]
‣ ? ["...tap dancing shoes?"]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's third place medallion]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Gulland [back at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin [Krabs accuses SpongeBob of stealing the ingredient]
‣ Secret Service - Syd Dale ["You obviously set up a decoy to take the delivery."]
‣ Death in the City - Jack Beaver [cops appear]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What are you talking about, SpongeBob?"]
‣ Blood in the Gutter - Laurie Johnson [Krabs stole the ingredient to avoid paying]
‣ Supreme Court Drama - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [at the courthouse]
‣ Steel Sting (q) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Give away me patties for free?!"]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob vs. The Big One, Season 6 Volume 1, Complete Sixth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of June 18, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.9/10 based on 183 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.9/10 based on 97 votes.
- The title card for this episode is similar to that of "Nasty Patty."
- Also, both episodes feature a disgusting version of a Krabby Patty.
- Although this episode premiered in 2008, it was made in 2007 according to the credits.
- Those who are accused, and how they are:
- Plankton: He had his own version of the Krabby Patty, but SpongeBob never explained how he could have stolen it. He explained that the patty was made of raw sewage.
- Sandy: She used an invisibility potion and snuck in, and used a time freezing ray, then used a laser to cut a hole in the case and get it. Sandy said that she legally bought over 283 Krabby Patties, and shows SpongeBob the receipt.
- Gary: Gary snuck onto one of the choppers, and when SpongeBob stopped to tighten his socks, he shot acid out of his eyes and stole the ingredient. It was deemed impossible by both of them. Gary and SpongeBob thought it was ridiculous for him to pull up his sock during the delivery, and Gary possibly thought it was impossible for him to shoot acid from his eyes.
- Squidward: Gary said Squidward was walking out of the Krusty Krab with a black briefcase. Squidward shows them that the case contained his tap dancing shoes, in which he won third place in at a tap dancing competition.
- SpongeBob: Mr. Krabs thought that he set up a decoy, then swept down when no one was looking and stole it, then went to the Chum Bucket, and sold it to Plankton for a dollar.
- Mr. Krabs: He was the one who stole it since he did not want to pay for it. Also, he makes SpongeBob blame people all over Bikini Bottom so he would take the fall for it for his set up of the caper he made and attended him to do, but his plan was failed when he accidentally exposed himself by showing the ingredient's bottle, which the police arrested him instead.
- The guards never see any of the accused in SpongeBob's stories.
- It is revealed that Plankton had tried every ingredient from A to R in order to figure out the Krabby Patty formula; thus, the secret ingredient begins with a letter between R and Z.
- SpongeBob does not react when Mr. Krabs shows him the stolen formula at the beginning of the episode but near the end of the episode, when Mr. Krabs accidentally reveals the same formula, SpongeBob asks him if that's the stolen formula. It could be possible SpongeBob thought the formula at the beginning of the episode was a different formula.
- On the re-released version of the SpongeBob vs. The Big One DVD, this episode is listed as "The Patty Caper."
- Optimum and DirecTV also uses this title.
- Plankton makes some successful attempts to steal the Krabby Patty. Awkwardly enough, it was in broad daylight. Also, he never used the Analyzer invention he made in the episode "Plankton!," and also that the secret ingredient is highly explosive.
- Sandy's receipt states that she bought 283 Krabby Patties, which came to a total of $465.00. This would mean that each Krabby Patty costs approximately $1.64. That also means that her tax was 88 cents because $1.64 times 283 equals $464.12 ($1.64 x 283 = $464.12).
- But, in every other episode that shows the cost of a Krabby Patty it is not $1.64.
- Even if the Gary scenario was possible, the acid would have melted Gary's eyes; however, SpongeBob probably is not smart enough to know that.
- Although Squidward has four feet, he only had two tap dancing shoes in the black case, though he is sometimes able to slip two feet in one shoe.
- The secret ingredient has to be bought, even if freshly made patties are used without sprinkling the Ingredient in.
- Although it was revealed that Mr. Krabs is the one who stole the secret formula's secret ingredient, it is never revealed how he stole it and about the origin of the hole in the briefcase.
- Judge Horace A. Whopper makes another appearance in this episode. Despite this, he is referred to as Judge Trout. He first appears in "The Krusty Sponge." He also has a Southern accent in this episode while he did not previously, but this must mean he has a doppelgänger.
- Patrick is the only main character in the episode who was not accused.
- This was Eric Shaw's last episode working on the show.
- This episode has four different possible titles.
- There is another episode that comes later called "The Great Patty Caper," which is often confused with the title of this episode. This is why "The Great Patty Caper" is also known as "Mystery With A Twistery" or "SpongeBob's Mystery With A Twistery.”
- This is the third time Mr. Krabs goes to court. The first was in "Krabs vs. Plankton," and the second was in "The Krusty Sponge."
- Mr. Krabs being forced to watch the Krabby Patties being given away is similar to the treatment in the movie A Clockwork Orange.
- When the red lights flash at the Krusty Krab, for a split-second, one can see the background through the customers each time the red lights start to fade.
- The security guard who gives SpongeBob the briefcase is first purple, but then he turns green when he tells SpongeBob to leave, but when SpongeBob runs away, he is purple again.
- When SpongeBob looks all around the case, there is no hole, but when he looks at it again, there is a hole, so the ingredient should've been there when there was no hole. Also, when SpongeBob shows Patrick there is no hole.
- In one of the scenes in the kitchen, if one looks closely, the background of the order window is the sky. However, since Mr. Krabs locked down the Krusty Krab, the background should've been the shield.
- Patrick puts two buns on the case. The bottom one should have fallen off, but never did, and in the next scene, the case is clean.
- When SpongeBob is about to go into Sandy's home and puts on his water helmet, it seems that when he is holding it in the air, it is already filled with water, which it should only be showing the helmet already filled with water in Sandy's treedome.
- When SpongeBob digs the tunnel to Sandy’s treedome underground, the treedome does not fill entirely with water via the tunnel, despite the fact that the water flows into the treedome.
- Whenever Gary meows, closed-captions say that he is squeaking.
- In Gary's story of Squidward leaving the Krusty Krab with a black briefcase, inside the restaurant, there is a brown wooden background. However, the only room in the Krusty Krab that uses the brown wooden background is the dining area.
- SpongeBob and Patrick break through Squidward's door to get inside, but later when Squidward uses the door to go outside of his house, the door is somehow fixed.
- When SpongeBob says "Oh my gosh. It is Sandy," the dialogue and lip syncing don't match.
- When Squidward snatches the briefcase from SpongeBob, two of SpongeBob's eye expressions overlap for a split-second.
- The Galley Grub sign is misspelled as "Gally Grub." This also happens in "Squidward in Clarinetland."