- Patrick Star
- Patrick SmartPants (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sheldon J. Plankton (cameo)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Cornelius Pufferfish (mentioned)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Gary the Snail (cameo in photo)
One day, SpongeBob and Patrick are jellyfishing at Jellyfish Fields, looking for the many jellyfish to catch. Then, while running, SpongeBob notices that Patrick is running towards a sign that says "DANGER CLIFF" and tries to warn Patrick. Patrick does not pay attention to where he is going, and runs through the wooden sign and off of the cliff while still trying to read the sign. SpongeBob walks down to the bottom of the cliff shortly after, hoping to find Patrick, but then discovers the top of Patrick's head. He finds Patrick and screws the head back on.
Suddenly, Patrick's brain starts working in ways it never had before. Patrick seems to be interested in nature, work, and almost any music when he is intelligent. He loses interest in all the things he and SpongeBob enjoyed, and actually has fun with Squidward and Sandy, until driving them both away with his patronizing attitude.
Since he is too hard even for them, Patrick wants to have fun with SpongeBob again. He tries many solutions to solve his problem, such as comparing himself with SpongeBob, meditating, doing research on Squidward, reading books about smarts, and even growing hair, but none of these things seem to work.
Eventually, he kidnaps SpongeBob and tries doing all of the activities he used to do with him together. When this doesn't work, he tries to redo his actions by running through the wooden sign and falling off the cliff again. Patrick, still smart, even after the fall again, finds out that the forehead SpongeBob had found could not possibly have been the original.
They both find out that SpongeBob had found brain coral rather than Patrick's forehead, explaining Patrick's intellect. They find Patrick's original forehead and SpongeBob puts it on Patrick, which makes him back-to-normal again. Then, Patrick starts to burp, and repeats any word SpongeBob says, like a parrot. SpongeBob and Patrick make loud, obnoxious noises and start giggling and running off, ending the episode with SpongeBob happy to have his best friend back.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [opening]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick falls off cliff]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Patrick!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer ["Let me help you out of there, buddy!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick missing the top part of his head]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Here's your head."]
‣ Maniac Pursuit - Trevor Duncan [gears turning in Patrick's head]
• Noblest Jellyfish - Nicolas Carr, Marcin Pospieszalski ["Look at them... these graceful, stoic creatures of the deep."]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, let's expand our jellyfish nets!"]
‣ Room at Versailles - Norman John Warren [drawing of jellyfish]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Okay..."]
‣ Airs and Graces (a) - Paddy Kingsland [admiring the beauty of nature]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob wants to play games]
‣ Stand-Up Comic (c) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [SpongeBob's joke]
• Jellyfish Cue - Nicolas Carr [Patrick uses a jellyfish as a harp]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["What's wrong with Patrick?"]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece A - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick studying subspecies]
• Symphony in Blue Clarinet - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen ["I'd recognize that piece anywhere!"]
• ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet again]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [clarinet mouthpiece covered in saliva]
• ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Now that you have some free time, let's get some grub."]
‣ Romantic Ending [#33] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["We're just not compatible anymore."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob sad]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick at Sandy's house]
‣ Say it with a Smile (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [math problems]
‣ Say it with a Smile (e) - Dick Stephen Walter ["I liked you better when you were a barnacle head!"]
‣ Kamakani (b) - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob and Patrick looking at old photo albums]
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Patrick looking at x-rays of him and SpongeBob's head]
• Meditation Link - Nicolas Carr [Patrick meditating]
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Patrick trying to solve the problem]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Coming."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Patrick kidnaps SpongeBob]
• SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Yay!"]
‣ Surf's Up! A - Jerry Burnham, Wayne Cook ["Yes, let's have some fun."]
‣ Surfer Baby (b) - Jerry Burnham ["Oh, yeah!"]
‣ Surfer Baby (d) - Jerry Burnham [Riding down a hill]
• Steel Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield ["When did the fun go away, SpongeBob?"]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["That's it!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick falls off the cliff again]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer ["Hold on, buddy!"]
‣ Lumbering Giant - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob looking for Patrick's head]
• Steel Licks 16 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess we'll never have fun together again."]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland ["You said you found my dislodged cranial cap last time."]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Brain coral!"]
‣ Airs and Graces (a) - Paddy Kingsland ["Knowledge can never replace friendship."]
• Tension Build - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob puts Patrick's old head back on]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the Lost in Time, Season 4 Volume 1, Complete Fourth Season, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, 2-Season TV Pack, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, Double Feature Volume 2, The Best Day Ever, Simply Patrick, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The Third & Fourth Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- "Patrick SmartPants" was ranked #8 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- "Patrick SmartPants" was ranked #66 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- The episode first premiered in Italy on September 27, 2005, four weeks before it aired in the United States.
- This is the first episode not to have a storyboard supervisor after Sherm Cohen's first departure.
- This episode and its sister episode, "SquidBob TentaclePants," both have titles that make puns of the SpongeBob's name.
- Both this episode and its sister aired during Nickelodeon's "Friday Night Slime Time."
- This is the first episode to have Patrick's name in the title.
- Patrick's brain seems to be bigger than usual in this episode.
- It is revealed that Sandy's real name is Sandra.
- SpongeBob and Patrick are seen sandboarding, making this the third appearance of sandboarding in the series. The first appearance was in "Prehibernation Week" and the second was in "I Had an Accident."
- The original title of this episode was "Abracamoron." The original title is still used on the Polish TV guide and on Amazon Prime Video.
- This episode reveals SpongeBob is aware of Patrick's stupidity, as he agrees with the latter's comment before he got his real head back.
- A clip of SpongeBob burp talking was used in the burping contest from the Kids' Choice Awards 2009.
- The title is a pun on the catchphrase "smarty pants."
- The first thing Patrick says after having his brain connected is, "I find all this laughter highly illogical," a tribute to Spock's famous phrase on the original Star Trek series.
- The scene where Patrick falls from a cliff is just like the Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner cartoons from Looney Tunes.
- One of the pictures on Patrick's jellyfish book has the Space Mountain Mission 2 dome.
- Among the many photos in Patrick's book is a parody of Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man with a starfish replacing the man.
- Duck, duck, hermit Crab is a parody of the children's game duck, duck, goose.
- When Patrick is first shown running away from SpongeBob, his mouth moves like he is laughing, but no voice or laughter can be heard from his mouth.
- When Patrick is at Squidward's window, the dots on his forehead turn black for a second.
- In one of the pictures of Patrick's photo album where Patrick and SpongeBob were having a birthday party, Patrick's eyelids are pink instead of purple.
- When Patrick is at Sandy's place and changes the equation on the blackboard, the equation turns back into the equation it was before Patrick changed it when he said "Even the simplest of mammals could figure it out with a little thought."
- When Patrick runs off the cliff and asks SpongeBob where he found his head, SpongeBob says "Um... it was right here," pointing down to his side, but SpongeBob found the head where Patrick landed after running off the cliff the second time.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|