- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Scallops and clams (mentioned)
- Travel agent (debut)
- French Narrator
- Eugene H. Krabs (2 cameos)
- Squidward Tentacles
The episode begins with Patrick putting the slide projector onto a table, leaping onto it, shaping his head into a ten-gallon hat, then riding the projector like a horse, followed by him eats hash browns. SpongeBob reminds him that he has a slideshow to give, Patrick destroys the projector in the process. Instead, Patrick makes a shadow puppet show with a lamp, and the show begins. SpongeBob goes to Patrick's house and knocks on the rock. Inside, Patrick is heard moaning and complaining. When the rock finally opens, Patrick's hand is seen holding a key. When SpongeBob enters, Patrick is seen on the floor, still holding the key. SpongeBob asks Patrick what he did something wrong and he explains that all he's been doing is waking up, eating, and sleeping and that he needs a break. SpongeBob suggests a vacation, and Patrick's spirits are lifted.
When they go to the travel agency, Patrick is given options, but when it is revealed that he cannot afford any of these trips, he and SpongeBob are thrown out. SpongeBob suggests Patrick go on a "staycation," a vacation at home. Patrick goes for it.
When he arrives home, he sees his living room has been redesigned as a hotel's entrance, and SpongeBob (calling himself "Todd") is the receptionist. "Todd" gives Patrick his key, and shows him his room. Patrick does not like the way the room is designed and asks SpongeBob to redesign it. All the furniture is now stacked into one large pile, and Patrick, still not satisfied, tells SpongeBob it's probably the walls. As SpongeBob becomes exasperated with Patrick's idiocy, the furniture collapses in a heap of sand. Later, there is a tub of water, which SpongeBob calls it "the pool." Patrick is initially excited but asks where the diving board is. SpongeBob makes one out of a stool and a plank of wood. When Patrick dives off of it, he hits his head on the side of the tub and falls in. When Patrick is drowning, SpongeBob dresses up as a lifeguard and pulls him out. When Patrick gets hungry, SpongeBob dresses like a French chef and prepares a Krabby Patty on a grill. Just then, Mr. Krabs comes along, requesting payment and a tip. Patrick demands a show to go with his meal, so SpongeBob dances on the table. Patrick dismisses it as "boring." SpongeBob then puts his spatula on his head and makes a pineapple appear. Patrick dismisses it as "lame." SpongeBob launches the pineapple into the air, where it's sliced in an overhead airplane's turbines. When it lands on a plate, Patrick tells SpongeBob "You are smoking." He means it literally: the Krabby Patty is burning, and a large cloud of black smoke fills the air.
Patrick walks out of the smoke like he's opening a door, still hungry. He catches a delicious aroma coming from Squidward's home, which turns out to be soup. Squidward puts a bowl on his table but turns around to get a napkin. When he returns to the table, Patrick is eating his soup. Meanwhile, SpongeBob emerges from the cloud of smoke, presenting a burnt Krabby Patty which soon turns into dust and blows away in the wind. Patrick is nowhere to be found, but he hears Squidward yelling. Patrick seems to think Squidward's house is a hotel, and even plans to go to the spa and get a massage. Squidward angrily explains to him that there is no spa and his house is not a hotel, but SpongeBob gives Patrick the massage he wanted. Patrick suggests Squidward get one as well. Though Squidward is reluctant at first, his shoulder snaps. Squidward then pushes Patrick off the table and asks SpongeBob to give him a massage. After fulfilling Squidward's request, SpongeBob is exhausted and returns home. He goes to bed, but Patrick is in there in bed with him, apparently convinced that SpongeBob's house is also a hotel. Patrick then goes to sleep as a confused and tired SpongeBob looks on.
The scene changes to Mr. Krabs' gargling with mouthwash in the bathroom of his house. When he goes to his bedroom, SpongeBob is sleeping in his hammock. Mr. Krabs wakes him up and asks SpongeBob if he's had a nightmare and asks if Patrick is in his bed (again), and SpongeBob says no to the former and yes to the latter. Understanding, Mr. Krabs bids SpongeBob a good night, as the episode ends.
- SpongeBob dressing up in different outfits to disguise himself as many different people.
- SpongeBob doing many things to make Patrick relax.
- Patrick thinking the houses on his block are hotels.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Aloha Bikini Bottom - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Rodeo - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Giddyup!"]
• Baby Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick eats hash browns]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Shadow puppets]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob knocks on Patrick's door]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin ["Patrick! Patrick, what have you done to yourself?"]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [Patrick says he needs a break]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["That's it!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Travel agency exterior]
• Aloha Lui Lui - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Anywhere from beautiful white sandy beaches..."]
• Safari Adventure - Nicolas Carr ["...to exhilarating jungle safaris."]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick kicked out]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Stay home"? That's it! You can take a "stay-cation."]
• Steel Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick comes home]
‣ Flower Display - Jack Shaindlin ["Welcome to Star Rock Inn."/"Mr. Star, are you sure about this?"]
• Steel Licks 34 - Jeremy Wakefield [All the furniture crashes into a pile of sand]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["...back the way it was originally!"]
‣ Sweet and Lovely - Alan Braden [Pool]
‣ Shock Happening 1 - Harry Lubin ["Oh no!"]
‣ Hope & Glory - Thomas Blug, Mark Scholz [SpongeBob as a lifeguard]
‣ Banners Victorious - Ronald Hanmer ["This calls for CPR."]
• Steel Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick licking candy cane]
• Steel Licks 38 - Jeremy Wakefield ["But I'm still hungry!"]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob setting the table]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob pays Krabs]
‣ Starlight Revue - Alan Braden ["Presenting the SpongeBob follies!"]
‣ ? [Drum roll]
‣ Look This Way (a) - Paul Reeves [Pineapple in SpongeBob's hat]
‣ Ta-Ra C - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Fanfare]
‣ Charivari Clowns - Daniel Jean Jeannin [Pineapple launched into air]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer ["Oh no, the Krabby Patty!"]
• An Underwater Conversation - Barry Anthony [Patrick smells something]
‣ Tiki Lounge - Gregory Ott, Lionel Wendling [Squidward making soup]
• An Underwater Conversation - Barry Anthony [Patrick slurps Squidward's soup]
• What Is It - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick?"]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer [Squidward yells at Patrick]
‣ Happy Jose - Ulrich Wenzel [SpongeBob massaging Patrick]
• Solo Steel 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes back home]
• Solo Steel 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick sleeping at SpongeBob's bed]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Runaway Roadtrip, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 13, Complete Eighth Season, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, On the Road, 3 DVD Value Pack, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode was available on the SpongeBob's Runaway Roadtrip DVD, released earlier in 2011 before it aired on television.
- This is the second of the five-episode miniseries SpongeBob's Runaway Roadtrip.
- The title card background for this episode is the same as "Squid Wood" and looks similar to "Best Frenemies."
- The 5 hours later time card uses the exact same background for "Best Frenemies."
- The beginning slideshow scene of this episode wasn't seen or mentioned again, just like in "A SquarePants Family Vacation," "Mooncation," "Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation," and "Walking the Plankton."
- When SpongeBob and Patrick go to get a vacation at the Bikini Travel Agency, in the background room behind Patrick, the viewer can see a photo of the cruise ship that Mr. Krabs goes on in this episode's sister episode.
- When SpongeBob welcomes Patrick to Star Rock Inn, he calls himself "Todd." This is a reference to SpongeBob's cousin Todd SquarePants in the book The Never-Ending Stay.
- When SpongeBob is at the front desk, his hairstyle is the same as his cousin Stanley.
- Out of the five vacation-themed episodes, this is the only one to not feature a road trip or a source of transportation.
- This is the second time a building is turned into a hotel. The first was the Krusty Krab in "Krusty Towers."
- The Hungarian title of this episode is "Otthonkáció", which means "Homecation" in English.
- When Patrick made SpongeBob change the room style, it is similar to what Squidward does in "Krusty Towers" when he made SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs change his room until it was back the way it was originally. The same thing occurs here.
- Patrick is wearing the same swimsuit from "Sun Bleached."
- The "One Hour Later" time card is exactly the same as the one from "Wet Painters," only that this one has more hue.
- When Patrick has trouble in the tub, the APM track "Hope & Glory" from "Ripped Pants" can be heard.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs won't let SpongeBob make Krabby Patties outside of work without paying.
- This is the only vacation-themed episode that Sandy does not appear in.
- It is revealed that SpongeBob sleeps at Mr. Krabs' house whenever he has bad nightmares or if Patrick sleeps in his bed.
- This is the third episode where Patrick's barbecue grill is shown. The first was in "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" and the second was in "The Card."
- This is the second time that Patrick's barbecue grill is used to cook a Krabby Patty. The first was in "The Card."
- This is another episode in which Patrick's house has more than one room. Previous ones are "I'm with Stupid," "The Pink Purloiner," "Rule of Dumb," and "Rise and Shine."
- This was the last episode that Nate Cash worked on.
- This episode was nominated for an Annie Award.
- This episode was rated PG in "Canada."
- This was the last episode to play the track "Pua Paoakalani B" until “Gary's Got Legs."
- It has not made any other appearances after that.
- Innuendo: While Patrick tries to unlock his rock door with the key, he makes moaning and groaning sounds in a suggestive manner.
- When Patrick turned his lampshade, the pole holding the light up should have created a shadow in Patrick's shadow puppet show, but it did not.
- When SpongeBob says, "Pal, what you need is a vacation," one of his blue eyes turns white for a split-second.
- When SpongeBob put Patrick's seat down, his foot was hurt and flat, but after he put Patrick's bib on, his foot was back to normal.
- When SpongeBob performs his magical appearing pineapple act, he sticks his spatula in one of his pores. In the next scene, where Patrick comments on the performance, it is gone. In the next scene, the spatula has appeared once again.
- When SpongeBob gets out of the burned Krabby Patty, his chef suit had no sleeves even though in the scene before that one, it had sleeves. However, it's possible his chef suit caught fire between scenes.
- In between the scenes where Patrick is checked in by SpongeBob and when Squidward yells at Patrick, the lighting effects take a massive decrease.
- When SpongeBob leaves Squidward's house, He doesn't close the door, but in the next frame, the door is closed for some reason.
- In UK and Ireland airings of the episode, for a few minutes, the color tint is edited.