"Patrick's Coupon" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from Season 10. In this episode, when Patrick finds out that his free ice cream coupon is expired, he has to go to the Ice Cream King for a chance to get a free ice cream regardless of expiration.
- Patrick Star
- Sea spider (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 67
- Teen 8 (green)
- Incidental T7
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 108
- DMV tester
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 158
- Incidental 91
- Incidental 90
- Incidental 11
- Officer Slugfish (last name revealed)
- Headquarters Office (heard only)
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 69
- One of the twin sisters
- Twin sister's friend (debut)
- Unnamed light-green fish (blue)
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 39
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 8
- Ice Cream employees (debut)
- Ice Cream King (debut)
- Gary the Snail (cameo in picture)
- Other Bikini Bottomites
The episode begins with Patrick freaking out over a sea spider. He is seen trying to climb a chandelier, but it crumbles because of the sand. He is then wrapped into a web and flung. He crashes into a chair and finds a coupon for free ice cream under it.
He leaves his rock and finds SpongeBob. Patrick tells him that he will buy SpongeBob an ice cream using his coupon. When he finds out that SpongeBob already has ice cream, he quickly throws it on the ground and tells him that he would buy a new one since he is a nice guy.
Patrick goes out to get the ice cream, but is caught by Mr. Krabs' crane and Mr. Krabs says he felt the presence of something free. Mr. Krabs tries to con Patrick out of the coupon and nearly succeeds in obtaining it from him in exchange for a handshake, but Squidward appears and intervenes by admonishing his boss for taking advantage of Patrick's naïve nature. A defeated Mr. Krabs walks off, as Patrick is angry at Squidward for stopping his deal, but Squidward releases Patrick from the crane and leaves while telling Patrick that Mr. Krabs was really trying to steal his coupon.
Hearing this, Patrick becomes paranoid and believes that everyone is after his coupon, causing him to run around the town getting caught in various situations like being stomped on and being attacked by toddlers until he falls off a cliff ending up in ice cream land.
At the park, Patrick orders a large amazing ice cream sundae and tries to sample it before giving it to SpongeBob. However, the ice cream coupon is out-of-date, causing Patrick to throw a tantrum. This results in him being kicked out by one of the staff employees.
Outside the park, the employee tells Patrick if he wants to redeem his coupon, he will have to go to the Ice Cream King, who lives at the top of the hill outside the park.
Patrick goes to see the King, who is revealed to be a starfish as clueless as him (so much that all the coupons are expired as he doesn't know the year). The Ice Cream King makes Patrick a deal. If he were to beat him in a competition, he would redeem the coupon and give Patrick the free ice cream. The two engage in a series of meaningless contests, including hair growing and ice-cream cone boxing, which ends with Patrick obtaining victory over the Ice Cream King, who agrees to honor the coupon. However, he gives Patrick a cone out of his armpit with the chocolate ice cream coming out hairy to Patrick's surprise and disgust.
Patrick returns to SpongeBob, saying he wanted to give SpongeBob an ice cream, but it melted, so he got him a hearty-handshake (using Mr. Krabs' arm). However, SpongeBob lifts his dejected friend's spirits by showing he obtained a better-looking ice cream (similar to the one Patrick tried to get earlier) and the two friends eat the ice cream, as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [Sea spider at Patrick's house.]
• Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr ["Oh boy, here it is!"]
• Impress Me - Nicolas Carr ["You have fought well today, sea spider."]
• Unknown Karate Sting 10 - Nicolas Carr ["You have fought well today, sea spider."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5D - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick sees a photo of him and SpongeBob.]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob with ice cream.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2C - Jeremy Wakefield ["Because I'm a nice guy!"]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs tries to take Patrick's coupon.]
• A Simple Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward scolds Krabs for taking advantage of Patrick.]
• Paranoid Link - Nicolas Carr [Patrick walks away nervously.]
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Patrick thinks everyone wants his coupon.]
• Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [Cop at café.]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick runs away.]
‣ Starlight Revue - Alan Braden [Patrick hides on the sidewalk of stars.]
‣ Rainbow Delights - Magnum Opus [Patrick sees the ice cream store and enters.]
‣ Picnic in the Park - John Rhodes [Patrick orders ice cream for SpongeBob.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9A - Jeremy Wakefield [The coupon expired two years ago.]
‣ Murder Scene Sting [#60] - Tony Kinsey [Patrick gets angry.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 8C - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick's kicked out of the store.]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford [Closeup of Patrick laying on the ground.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 7A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Continue and bump it up a little bit."]
‣ Spellweaver - Magnum Opus [Janitor tells Patrick about the ice cream king.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 23A - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick runs up the mountain.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 18D - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick reaches the mansion.]
‣ Vault of Secrets - Magnum Opus [Ice cream king grabs Patrick.]
• Goofy Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick meets the Ice Cream King]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["Poog Ydlabrag: The King's Challenge!"]
• Birth of the Krabby Patty - Nicolas Carr ["Poog Ydlabrag: The King's Challenge!"]
‣ Pomp and Glory - Sam Spence [Patrick and the ice cream king doing a hair growing contest.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's sad."]
‣ Pomp and Glory - Sam Spence ["Watch this!"]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Walter [Ice cream's king eyebrows grow.]
‣ Timpani Opener March - Sam Spence [Patrick struggles to grow more hair/"Not so fast!"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Armpit hair.]
• Karate Action - Nicolas Carr [Sparring match between Patrick and the ice cream king.]
• Unknown Karate Sting 4 - Nicolas Carr ["You have played with skill and courage."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield ["One free ice cream cone!"]
• Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 17, The Complete Tenth Season, and Sleepy Patrick DVDs.
- Patrick's fear of spiders from "Home Sweet Pineapple," "The Pink Purloiner," and "Life Insurance" returns in this episode.
- This episode is a rare time that Squidward unselfishly helps Patrick or SpongeBob since he stops Mr. Krabs from tricking Patrick.
- Patrick using cups as glasses to read the coupon is similar to him using cups as glasses in "Idiot Box."
- The fourth wall is broken three times in this episode:
- The minute Mr. Krabs says that he knows the weight of a coupon, Patrick's coupon becomes somewhat heavy.
- Incidental 7 makes a reference to SpongeBob SquarePants being a cartoon and slightly breaks the fourth wall when she says, "Looks like some sort of kids cartoon."
- The ice cream SpongeBob and Patrick dive into splatters on the camera, stating "the end."
- This is also the first episode to have a "The End" screen since "Patrick! The Game."
- This episode reunites Tom Kenny and Peter Browngardt, both voice actors on the Cartoon Network series Uncle Grandpa which ended on June 30, 2017, shortly after this episode premiered.
- SpongeBob only appears in two scenes: after Patrick comes out of his rock and in the final scene.
- This is the fourth time SpongeBob and Patrick indulge in massive quantities of ice cream. The first is The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, the second is "Atlantis SquarePantis," and the third is "The Fish Bowl."
- In the German dub, this episode is titled "Patricks Coupon," without the apostrophe, making the title card of the German dub almost identical to the original English dub.
- In the German dub, the Ice Cream King is voiced by Marco Kröger, the original German voice actor of Patrick. Kröger was fired in 2011 after a disagreement with Nickelodeon and was replaced by Fritz Rott.
- Bikini Bottom's Sidewalk of the Stars references the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- The inside of the Ice Cream store seems to reference the film Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. The design is extremely similar, having the chocolate "river" from the movie, as well as an eccentric owner.
- When Patrick says, "Oh, I see you...peeking at my coupon! It's for SpongeBob's ice cream!," the Krusty Krab flags are missing.
- Inside of the Ice Cream store, there are some fish sitting on air instead of chairs.
- When Patrick arrives at SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob's legs are out of position for a frame.