It's a slow day at the Krusty Krab. Just then, Patrick walks in and develops (what SpongeBob calls it) Krabby Patty withdrawal. Mr. Krabs is eager to have a customer and asks Patrick if he could pay for the Krabby Patty. Patrick says he could and proceeds to eat 50 Krabby Patties with extra cheese. When Mr. Krabs presents Patrick with the bill, Patrick realizes he does not have any money, so Mr. Krabs puts him to work.
However, Patrick messes up on even the simplest of jobs. He tries cleaning the bathroom floor, but Mr. Krabs catches him eating the hand soap (and commenting that it does taste as good at it smells). He tries placing ice cube trays into a barrel, but he destroys the freezer and the ice cubes. So Mr. Krabs places him in a room with a large trash chute and threatens to never give him another Krabby Patty if he messes up this job, so Patrick places full trash bags into the machine, an easy job that he handles well until SpongeBob walks in to check on him. SpongeBob is carrying a bag of money that Mr. Krabs wants him to put in the safe. When Patrick is struggling to finish the job of getting rid of the garbage, SpongeBob tells him that he didn't flip the power switch down, so when he did, all the trash bags went down. Patrick thanks SpongeBob, but then he notices the money bag over SpongeBob's shoulder and immediately thinks he forgot one. He takes the sack, and despite SpongeBob's loud protests, places it into the shredder. Since it is full of money, the shredder cannot slice the bag up, so Patrick flips the power switch up and down, causing the compactor to expand just as Mr. Krabs walks in.
Suddenly, the compactor and the Krusty Krab explode, and the sack of money, which was launched into the air, lands in the compactor, where it is shredded. As bits of paper money fall like snow, Patrick asks an unamused Mr. Krabs if he can eat again, and the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hawaiian Train - Victor Cavini [Title card]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [opening]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Patrick's stomach recedes]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabby Patty withdrawal/"Patrick, how's a Krabby Patty with extra cheese sound?"]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick eating Krabby Patties]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [the bill]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["NON-PAYING CUSTOMER!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [lockdown]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick mopping the bathroom]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Krabs gasps]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick eating hand soap]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["You've destroyed many of the things I love."]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick throwing trash bags down chute]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [Krabs gives SpongeBob a bag of money]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob turns trash compactor on]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick sees bag of money]
• Entrapped - Nicolas Carr ["Why won't you go down?!"]
• Kalua Jubalee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Pest of the West, Season 5 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, The SpongeBob Super Square Collection, SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis (UK version), Time Travel, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 8, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The Super Celebrations, Really Big Box Set and Complete Fifth Season DVDs.
- This is the sixth season 5 episode to be shorter than the 11-minute or 6-minute runtime. The first five were "Rise and Shine," "Waiting," "Spy Buddies," "Boat Smarts," and "Picture Day."
- Mr. Krabs tells Patrick that if he messes up his job with shredding the trash, he will never eat another Krabby Patty. Yet in later episodes, Patrick is shown eating at the Krusty Krab.
- SpongeBob says that Patrick needs a Krabby Patty or he will whine about it for the next three-and-a-half minutes. That is about the amount of time remaining in the episode by that point. SpongeBob breaks the fourth wall by saying this.
- The things that Patrick does wrong:
- Eating all the hand soap
- Destroying the refrigerator
- Making the trash compactor back up, causing the restaurant to explode and be destroyed, and then slice up Mr. Krabs' money.
- This is the second episode where Patrick eats large quantities of food without paying. The first is "Rule of Dumb."
- Much like in the short "The Endless Summer," Tom Kenny, Clancy Brown, and Bill Fagerbakke are the only voice actors in this episode.
- Irony: Mr. Krabs could have just taught Patrick how to operate the trash compactor so that SpongeBob did not need to come over and show him. If he did this, the money would have been safe.
- The ice cube sculpture Patrick makes resembles Titan arum.
- Right before Mr. Krabs pulls out a Krabby Patty with extra cheese, his eyelashes are colored beige instead of brown.
- When Mr. Krabs is offering a Krabby Patty with extra cheese and Patrick tries to get it, the cash register between them is missing.
- When the camera pans down to the filthy floor in the bathroom, Mr. Krabs talks but his mouth remains open.
- When Mr. Krabs catches Patrick eating the hand soap, Patrick's left eyebrow is missing for a few seconds.
- When Mr. Krabs says to Patrick "I got another job that even a nimrod like you couldn't mess up.", his voice is a little bit muffled.
- Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to put the bag of money into his safe and he goes into the trash room where Patrick is putting the bags in, even though the safe is right over Mr. Krabs' left shoulder in his office.
- When Patrick is throwing down the trash bags, the trash compactor switch cannot be seen.
- When SpongeBob pulls the trash compactor switch and he and Patrick watch the trash go down, it looks like an endless hole but when the back of Patrick is shown with the whole dollar $ bag that shreds, the trash from before can be seen at that point.
- The trash compactor should have also exploded at the end because it was what caused the Krusty Krab to explode in the first place.
- The trash compactor should not have destroyed the trash; it should have compacted it into cubes like it does in real life.