- French narrator
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patchy the Pirate
- Potty the Parrot
- Barnacle (mentioned)
- Party guests
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 39
- Gary the Snail
- Fred (normal; blue)
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 93 (cameo in photo)
- Other kindergarters
- Astronomer (mentioned)
- Barnacle Bill and the Seven Seas (debut)
- Seaweed Sally and her Cackling Turtle (debut)
- The First Mates (debut)
- Saltwater Sam, featuring the Brine Brothers (debut)
- Rusty Hinges and the Boys from the Brig (debut)
- The Bird Brains (debut)
- Fog maker (debut)
- Horace (sea horse) (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Scooter (first name revealed)
- Incidental 47
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Pearl Krabs
- Larry the Lobster
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 6
- Roxy Wisenheimer (mentioned)
- Incidental 65 (blue)
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 150
- Officer Slugfish
- Officer Nancy O'Malley (last name revealed)
- Judge (mentioned)
- Female parrots (debut)
Patchy organizes a house party, and all the guests come except for SpongeBob himself. The scene cuts to SpongeBob trying to read Patchy's invitation, but he can't understand it because the lettering has been smeared by the water. SpongeBob comments that the sender must not have understood the limitations of life underwater, then throws the invitation in the fire. Back on land, Patchy introduces us to his special guests including a live action King Neptune, Minnie Mermaid and Long-Beard the Pirate.
In Bikini Bottom, while shopping at the Barg'N-Mart, SpongeBob finds a "Plan Your Own Party Kit," and decides to throw a party using the kit. Despite the kit advising to invite "only your closest friends," SpongeBob invites nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob wants the party to go exactly according to plan, so he decides to make sure things go in order. He makes a brutally specific schedule for different activities and cards for people to use for conversations.
In the second live-action segment, Patchy decides to have a dance lesson and promotes his dance instruction videos. Before Patchy can teach his friends how to dance, a band that Potty has hired for the party arrives. Patchy asks Potty who it is. It is Potty's favorite band, "The Bird Brains." Everybody loves the Bird Brains' music, but Patchy hates it because it is too loud and it blasts him out of his house. Patchy then tells them it's time for them to literally walk the plank. Unfortunately, he forgets that they're birds and can easily fly off.
Back in Bikini Bottom, later that night, all the guests arrive at different times. SpongeBob hands them all the topic cards, which causes an awkward environment. After the last guest arrives, SpongeBob goes into the closet.
After a while, SpongeBob sees everybody having fun and starts to panic, as they are violating his completely unnecessary schedule. He stops all the fun and music, and brings them all to the couch to do one of the scheduled events; reading aloud from the funnies. Unfortunately, he finds out the paper he's reading is yesterday's paper and leaves to get today's paper.
While going out to get today's paper, SpongeBob accidentally locks himself out of his house (though it's likely the guests locked him out for ruining their fun), allowing the guests to have fun again. He misinterprets this and believes everything is falling apart.
After continually trying to get into his house using different methods and failing quite horribly, SpongeBob, at wit's end, grabs a pickaxe, and attempts to break in while dressed as a bunny.
The police find him and place him under arrest, but when SpongeBob explains everything, they don't arrest him. However, the police end up making him miss the entire party by arresting him for not inviting them.
The next morning, when he gets back from jail, he is depressed and defeated because he just recalled he had a key beneath the mat and his house is a mess. He believes his party failed, until Patrick comes over and tells him that it was the greatest party all of them had ever been to and that he should do exactly the same thing next weekend. SpongeBob finally realizes that he doesn't need a schedule to run a party and parties are supposed to be fun. He smiles gladly and becomes proud that his party was a success after all. He finds Gary wearing a lampshade and is happy that he had fun too. The episode ends as SpongeBob turns off Gary's lamp and wishing his snail a good night sleep.
For the final live-action segment, Patchy attempts to remedy the music situation by performing his own song with a one-man band. Potty reminds him that it is time for Patchy's flute solo. Patchy starts playing but soon realizes that he plays a fife, not a flute and that the "flute" is actually a stick of dynamite. It explodes, leaving only his head intact. The Bird Brains then have the opportunity to play music, singing their new song, "Underwater Sun." After they finish, Patchy returns to end the show, with a barrel for a new body being kissed by girl parrots. Potty then says "goodbye" to the audience.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin ["House Party" intro]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [Patchy's party/"Ah, well, come on in. Let me introduce you around."]
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider ["Party Pooper Pants" title card]
‣ Penthouse Party - Bruce Campbell ["Ah, the Barg'N-Mart."]
‣ Hit and Run - Ralph Dollimore [SpongeBob shopping]
‣ Fashion Note - Lillian Munsie [book of records]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob planning his party]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [Patchy reappears]
‣ When Daylight Shines/Captain Lenoe's - The Folk Players [peg-legged dance of happiness/"Barnacle Bill and the Seven Seas?"/"Seaweed Sally and her cackling turtle?"/"Oh, oh, I know: The First Mates."/"Salt Water Sam, featuring the Brine Brothers."/"Rusty Hinges and the Boys from the Brig?"]
• Bird Brains - Peter Straus, Steve Belfer [Bird Brains play rock music]
‣ The Girl I Left Behind Me - Brian Peters [walking the plank]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Please Stand By" card]
‣ Speaking Guitar - Gerhard Narholz [SpongeBob's party]
‣ A Little Rhumba in the Night (b) - Laurence Peter Cottle [Squidward arrives/"I have you making mild conversation with Mr. Krabs from 10:41 to 10:47."]
‣ A Little Rhumba in the Night (a) - Laurence Peter Cottle [Topic cards/Krabs' and Plankton's topic cards/"That includes you folks, SpongeBob's House Party will be right back after these messages."]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [back from commercials]
‣ The Humpback Hop - Theo Mondle [dance music/dance music again]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [the next morning]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["This party was a complete disaster."]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [Patrick turns out to have enjoyed the party]
‣ Beat Baby - Harry Bluestone [back to Patchy's party]
• Patchy's One Man Band - Nicolas Carr [Patchy's one man band]
◦ Underwater Sun - Stephen Hillenburg, Peter Straus
‣ Tiki Cabana - The Mel-Tones ["Great job, boys! Thanks for stopping by!"]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [ending]
• Bird Brains - Peter Straus, Steve Belfer [closing credits]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep (with storyboard version on the special features), Complete 3rd Season, First 100 Episodes, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 4, Complete Third Season, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The Third & Fourth Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and Bikini Bottom Bash DVDs.
- It is also available on the Bikini Bottom Bash! and Tales from the Deep VHS tapes.
- "Party Pooper Pants" was ranked #71 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This is the first half-hour special of season 3.
- The "Underwater Sun" song is animated in a different art style than the actual episode.
- This was Walt Dohrn's final episode as a crew member.
- Patchy said he invited SpongeBob to his party, but Patrick also allegedly received an invitation.
- This is the only episode to show King Neptune in live-action form.
- The subliminal message girl's laugh from "Gary Takes a Bath" is heard at the ending to reenact the female parrots' laughter.
- During the marathon leading up to the premiere of this episode in 2002, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Dana Carvey made special guest appearances during the ads and commercial break warnings.
- Despite there being several reruns of the series on Nickelodeon during 2003 - 2006, this episode was not aired after its initial showing for over 3 years. Starting in 2007, the episode was aired once again on Nickelodeon.
- The "Peg Leg Dance" mat is first seen earlier in the episode when SpongeBob talks about the scheduled events.
- The late Lux Interior from The Cramps sang lead vocals for "Underwater Sun," and the lead singer's puppet was modeled after Lux to some degree.
- The fine print for "Patchy's Dance Tips" video offer reads: "It is unlawful to blah blah blah. In the event of blah blah blah the said person blah blah blah. Will who there for blah will blah and it shall be the soul responsibility to blah blah when in the case of blah blah blah. In so there too, henceforth blah will be blah."
- One of the video volumes for "Patchy's Dance Tips" is "Dance Yer Parrot Off!" The other three are unknown.
- SpongeBob's attempts to get back in his house are and end with:
- Knocking on the door. Patrick thinks it is the beat to the song.
- Phoning the house. Patrick does open the door but slams it in SpongeBob's face.
- Climbing up the house and entering through the window. Larry shuts the window, to which SpongeBob falls and breaks his fingers.
- Looking through the window. Mrs. Puff thinks it is a painting and turns it backward, pushing SpongeBob from the window.
- Tunneling his way in. A line of people doing the bunny-hop step on SpongeBob, which shoots him back outside.
- Breaking the door down with a pickaxe. The police come and arrest him for not inviting them to his party.
- SpongeBob's scheduled events:
- 8:00-8:05: Guests arrive
- 8:05-8:15: Opening remarks & general discussion
- 8:15-8:27: Craft corner & name tag distribution
- 8:27: Cracker eating/tongue twister contest
- 8:37: Read aloud from the newspaper comics
- 8:52: Eat cake
- 9:03: Laughter
- 9:07: Running charades
- 9:20: Finger puppet theater
- 9:38: Charity apple bob
- 9:57: Electric jitterbug dance marathon (Ladies choice)
- 10:00: Dance your pants off
- 10:09: Knock-knock jokes
- 10:41-10:47: Squidward makes light conversation with Mr. Krabs
- Discussion cards:
- Scooter: "Which came first, the oyster or the pearl?"
- Lady: "Discuss the philosophical nature of irony."
- Plankton: "You say: 'Where are you from?'"
- Patrick: "Nod politely."
- This is the second episode to have two title cards. The first was "Christmas Who?"
- On the offer for the "Patchy's Dance Tips Videos," the MasterCard logo appears.
- This is the fourth episode where a time card is not read out loud.
- SpongeBob's line "Seriously," followed by the "We'll be right back" announcement is removed on the Tales from the Deep DVD because there are no commercials on the DVD. However, the "seriously" line remains intact on the storyboard version featured on that DVD.
- This episode would only be 14 minutes long without the Patchy segments.
- Barnacle Bill's name comes from the prototype of Barnacle Boy and later the comic book character of the same name.
- Towards the beginning of the party, Sally is wearing fancy clothes, but after SpongeBob gets locked out, she is wearing her normal clothes.
- It could be possible she brought extra clothes and changed.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode title is "Tulum kod Spužve Boba" or "Party at SpongeBob's."
- In Turkey, the episode is called "Parti Zamanı," which translates to "Party Time."
- In the Turkish dub, the dance music is in a higher pitch.
- On the July 16, 2018 airing on Nickelodeon's Nick@Nite block at 10pm, as the narrator is ending on the first act the basketball transition to the 15-second promo for the 2018 Kids' Choice Sports Awards show occurred.
- The scene where SpongeBob throws Patchy's party invitation in the fire has become an internet meme.
- The Bird Brains are lookalikes of glam/hard rock group Slade and punk rock band Ramones. Their name comes from the legendary punk rock band Bad Brains.
- The question "Which came first, the oyster or the pearl?" is a pun on the question "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"
- SpongeBob's watch says 3:00, not 8:00.
- SpongeBob's welcome mat is not present in any scene except the one where he pulls his key out from it.
- SpongeBob's couch is red instead of green as it usually is.
- At the end of the episode, when Patrick closes the door, the door handle is the same color as the door, but in the next scene, it is a gold handle.
- When Patchy crashes into the light post, his jacket is red.
- The cake has blue frosting, but in a later scene it has pink frosting, and in another scene, it had blue frosting.
- After Patchy crashes into the pole, he is not covered with debris, but when he returns to his house, he is.
- Tom's eyes are different in this episode, but in a later scene they are back to normal, and in another scene they are different.
- In one scene, Gary's mouth does not move when he says "Meow."
- In multiple parts of the music video for "Underwater Sun," SpongeBob only has one tooth.
- After SpongeBob is pushed out of the hole he dug, it disappears.
- There are multiple speech errors in the Indonesia version:
- Scooter says "Who came first, can go with Pearl (Krabs). You can go with Pearl!" instead of "Who came first, the oyster or the pearl? You take the side of the pearl."
- Mr. Krabs says "Next year" instead of "Nice try, Plankton."
- SpongeBob says:
- "2 minutes late" instead of "22 minutes late."
- "Handshake time" instead of "Finger puppet theater."
- "I didn't even eat my cake" instead of "Is it too late to offer you some punch?"
- "You must sleep" instead of "You better call an astronomer."
- "Your eyes are still good, right?" instead of "Someone's at the door!"
- Patchy says, "No" when he replies to the Bird Brains instead of "Yes."
- When Patchy asks about Rusty Hinges, Potty answers "Rusty died 30 years ago" instead of "They broke up years ago."
- When SpongeBob is reading his schedule, Gary's shell does not have the red swirl.
- According to Minnie Mermaid at Patchy's party, if she was not in the paddling pool, she would die, but when Patchy is blown up by the stick of dynamite, Minnie Mermaid is not in the paddling pool.
- The exterior of Patchy's home has been flipped from its appearance in "Christmas Who?"
- Right before Mr. Krabs puts his coat on Gary, the latter's shell is deformed.
- When SpongeBob asks Lou to initial the final time, the scribble that appears is longer than what it would be for two or three letters.
- The order screen for "Patchy's Dance Tips" shows Patchy at a medium shot, but the ones at the Party show him in a medium close-up shot. He is also in a completely different pose between the two.
- SpongeBob invites 177 guests, although very few people are actually shown at the party.
- Although this is most likely done to save time from animating several characters.
- During the close-up of the drummer bird in the Bird Brains' first performance, he is clearly played by someone in a costume rather than a marionette.
- After the Bird Brains fly "off the plank" away from Patchy, if one were to observe the scene where Patchy starts crying, one of the birds' feet could be seen in the top left corner of the screen, just behind a leaf.
- Both Carlos Alazraqui and Dee Bradley Baker are credited for voicing the "Surfer Fish" (Scooter) and the "Late Fish" (Tom).
- SpongeBob getting hurt attempting to get in.
- The party guests not following SpongeBob's party schedule.