"Party Pooper Pants" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season 3. In this episode, SpongeBob throws a party, but his guests refuse to follow his rather strict schedule and ends up getting locked outside. Meanwhile, Patchy the Pirate is throwing his own party.
- French Narrator
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patchy the Pirate
- Potty the Parrot
- Barnacle (mentioned)
- Party guests
- Gary the Snail
- Other kindergarters
- Astronomer (mentioned)
- Barnacle Bill and the Seven Seas (debut)
- Seaweed Sally and her Cackling Turtle (debut)
- The First Mates (debut)
- Saltwater Sam, featuring the Brine Brothers (debut)
- Rusty Hinges and the Boys from the Brig (debut)
- The Bird Brains (debut)
- Fog maker (debut)
- Horace (sea horse) (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Pearl Krabs
- Larry the Lobster
- Mrs. Puff
- Roxy Wisenheimer (mentioned)
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 39 (named Lou)
- Incidental 1D (debut)
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 93 (cameo in photo)
- Scooter (name revealed)
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 65 (blue)
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 118B (named O'Malley)
- Judge (mentioned)
- Female parrots (debut)
As the special starts, Patchy organizes a house party, and all the guests come, except for SpongeBob himself. The scene cuts to SpongeBob trying to read Patchy's invitation, but he cannot understand it because the lettering has been smeared by the water. SpongeBob comments that the sender must not have understood the limitations of life underwater, then throws the invitation in the fire. Back on land, Patchy introduces us to his special guests, including a live-action King Neptune, Minnie Mermaid, and Long-Beard the Pirate.
In Bikini Bottom, while shopping at the Barg'N-Mart, SpongeBob finds a "Plan Your Own Party Kit," and decides to throw a party using the kit. Despite the kit advising to invite "only your closest friends," SpongeBob invites nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom. Because a rule in the party kit states that unsupervised parties can lead to disaster, SpongeBob wants the party to go exactly according to plan, so he decides to make sure things go in order. He makes a brutally specific schedule for different activities and cards for people to use for conversations.
In the second live-action segment, Patchy decides to have a dance lesson and promotes his dance instruction videos in which Potty finds tacky before Patchy angrily yells at him saying that it is a $40 value. Before Patchy can teach his friends how to dance, a band that Potty has hired for the party arrives. Patchy asks Potty who it is. It is Potty's favorite band, "The Bird Brains." Everybody loves the Bird Brains' music, but Patchy hates it because it is too loud and it blasts him out of his house. Patchy then tells them it is time for them to literally walk the plank. Unfortunately, he forgets that they are birds and can easily fly off.
Back in Bikini Bottom, later that night, all the guests arrive at different times. SpongeBob is angered when the guests begin doing certain activities which don't occur until much later according to his schedule, and hands them all the topic cards, which causes an awkward environment. After the last guest arrives, SpongeBob goes into the closet.
After a while, SpongeBob sees everybody having fun and starts to panic, as they are violating his completely unnecessary schedule, meaning in his words, the party will fail. He stops all the fun and music, and brings them all to the couch to do one of the scheduled events; reading aloud from the funnies. Unfortunately, he finds out the paper he is reading is yesterday's paper and leaves to get today's paper. Once he leaves, all the guests start having fun again.
While going out to get today's paper, SpongeBob accidentally locks himself out of his house (though it is likely the guests locked him out for ruining their fun), allowing the guests to have fun again. He misinterprets this and believes everything is falling apart.
After continually trying to get into his house using different methods and failing quite horribly, SpongeBob, at wit's end, grabs a pickaxe and attempts to break in while dressed as a bunny. But before he could do so, the police find him and place him under arrest, but when SpongeBob explains everything, they do not arrest him and SpongeBob is relieved he was almost ironically arrested for trying to break into his own house. However, the police end up making him miss the entire party by arresting him on purpose for not inviting them.
He returns home the next morning depressed. He notices there was a key underneath the doormat the entire time. SpongeBob then enters his house, finding that it is a complete mess. He believes his party failed, until Patrick comes over and tells him that it was the greatest party all of them had ever been to, and that he should do exactly the same thing next weekend. SpongeBob finally realizes that he does not need a schedule to run a party and parties are supposed to be fun. He smiles gladly and becomes proud that his party was a success after all. He finds Gary wearing a lampshade and is happy that he had fun too. The episode ends as SpongeBob turns off Gary's lamp and wishes his snail a good night's sleep.
In the final live-action segment, Patchy attempts to remedy the music situation by performing his own song with a one-man-band he asks Potty if he is ready and Potty says he is after he puts earbuds in his ears and starts performing his own off-key song to the guests. Potty reminds him that it is time for Patchy's flute solo. Patchy starts playing, but soon realizes that he plays a fife, not a flute, and that the "flute" is actually a stick of dynamite (it was notably Potty's plan so he would let Patchy perform but find a way to kill him). It explodes, leaving only his head intact. The Bird Brains then have the opportunity to play music, singing their new song, "Underwater Sun." After they finish, Patchy returns to end the special, with a barrel for a new body being kissed by girl parrots. Potty then says "goodbye" to the audience and takes on as the host of the party, ending the special.
- SpongeBob getting hurt attempting to get in.
- The party guests not following SpongeBob's party schedule.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ A Pirate's Life For Me (A) - Ron Goodwin ["House Party" intro]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [Patchy's party.]
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider ["Party Pooper Pants" title card.]
‣ Penthouse Party - Bruce Campbell ["Ah, the Barg'N-Mart."]
‣ Hit and Run - Ralph Dollimore [SpongeBob shopping.]
‣ Fashion Note - Lillian Munsie [Book of records.]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob planning his party.]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [Patchy reappears.]
‣ When Daylight Shines Captain Lenoe's - The Folk Players [Peg-legged dance of happiness.]
• Patchy Snr Roll Suspense - Nicolas Carr
• Bird Brains - Peter Straus, Steve Belfer [Bird Brains play rock music.]
‣ The Girl I Left Behind Me - Brian Peters [Walking the plank.]
‣ Hawaiian Link (B) - Richard Myhill ["Please Stand By" card.]
‣ Speaking Guitar - Gerhard Narholz [SpongeBob's party.]
‣ A Little Rhumba in the Night (B) - Laurence Peter Cottle [Squidward arrives.]
‣ A Little Rhumba in the Night (A) - Laurence Peter Cottle [Topic cards.]
‣ Bird Lady from Ghost Town - The Mel-Tones [Back from commercials.]
• The Humpback Hop - Theo Mondle [Dance music.]
• Steel Licks 5 - Jeremy Wakefield [The next morning.]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["This party was a complete disaster."]
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [Patrick turns out to have enjoyed the party.]
‣ Beat Baby - Harry Bluestone [Back to Patchy's party.]
• Patchy's One Man Band - Nicolas Carr [Patchy's one-man band.]
◦ Underwater Sun - Stephen Hillenburg, Peter Straus
‣ Tiki Cabana - The Mel-Tones ["Great job, boys! Thanks for stopping by!"]
‣ Spanish Ladies (B) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Ending.]
• Bird Brains - Peter Straus, Steve Belfer [Closing credits.]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep (with storyboard version on the special features), Complete 3rd Season, Band Geeks, The Ultimate Box Set, First 100 Episodes, The Underwater Stories, Double Feature Volume 3, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, Really Big Box Set, The Party of Bob Sfougarakis, The Party, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 4, Complete Third Season, Seaworthy Celebrations, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes, 2-Season TV Pack, The Third & Fourth Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Bikini Bottom Bash, and SpongeBob SquarePants Triple Pack DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Bikini Bottom Bash! and Tales from the Deep VHS tapes.
- "Party Pooper Pants" was ranked #71 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- This is the first half-hour special of season 3.
- This episode was viewed in 6.70 million households upon its American premiere.
- The "Underwater Sun" song is animated in a different art style than the actual episode.
- This was Walt Dohrn's final episode as a crew member.
- This episode was advertised as "SpongeBob SquarePants House Party," even having a special logo.
- This logo is seen 4 times through the episode.
- Patchy said he invited SpongeBob to his party, but Patrick also allegedly received an invitation.
- This is the only episode to show King Neptune in live-action form.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob goes to jail. The first was "Life of Crime."
- This episode premiered on the same day that "SpongeBob Meets The Strangler" was in production.
- The subliminal message girl's laugh from "Gary Takes a Bath" is heard at the ending to reenact the female parrots' laughter.
- During the marathon leading up to the premiere of this episode in 2002, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Dana Carvey made special guest appearances during the ads and commercial break warnings.
- The "Peg Leg Dance" mat is first seen earlier in the episode when SpongeBob talks about the scheduled events.
- The guitar that the guitarist for the Bird Brains is shown playing with is a left-handed Fender 1952 Telecaster.
- The fine print for "Patchy's Dance Tips" video offer reads: "It is unlawful to blah blah blah. In the event of blah blah blah the said person blah blah blah. Will who there for blah will blah and it shall be the sole responsibility to blah blah when in the case of blah blah blah. In so there too, henceforth blah will be blah."
- One of the video volumes for "Patchy's Dance Tips" is "Dance Yer Parrot Off!" The other three are unknown.
- SpongeBob's attempts to get back in his house are and end with:
- Knocking on the door. Patrick thinks it is the beat to the song.
- Phoning the house. Patrick does open the door but slams it in SpongeBob's face.
- Climbing up the house and entering through the window. Larry shuts the window, to which SpongeBob falls and breaks his fingers.
- Looking through the window. Mrs. Puff thinks it is a painting and turns it backward, pushing SpongeBob from the window.
- Tunneling his way in. A line of people doing the bunny-hop step on SpongeBob, which shoots him back outside.
- Breaking the door down with a pickaxe. The police come and arrest him for not inviting them to his party.
- SpongeBob's scheduled events:
- 8:00-8:05: Guests arrive
- 8:05-8:15: Opening remarks & general discussion
- 8:15-8:27: Craft corner & name tag distribution
- 8:27: Cracker eating/tongue twister contest
- 8:37: Read aloud from the newspaper comics
- 8:52: Eat cake
- 9:03: Laughter
- 9:07: Running charades
- 9:20: Finger puppet theater
- 9:38: Charity apple bob
- 9:57: Electric jitterbug dance marathon (Ladies choice)
- 10:00: Dance your pants off
- 10:09: Knock-knock jokes
- 10:41-10:47: Squidward makes light conversation with Mr. Krabs
- Discussion cards:
- Scooter: "Which came first, the oyster or the pearl?"
- Lady: "Discuss the philosophical nature of irony."
- Plankton: "You say: 'Where are you from?'"
- Patrick: "Nod politely."
- This is the second episode to have two title cards. The first was "Christmas Who?"
- On the offer for the "Patchy's Dance Tips Videos," the Mastercard logo appears.
- This is the fourth episode where a time card is not read out loud.
- SpongeBob's line "Seriously," followed by the "We'll be right back" announcement is removed on the Tales from the Deep DVD because there are no commercials on the DVD. However, the "seriously" line remains intact on the storyboard version featured on that DVD.
- This episode would only be 14 minutes long without the Patchy segments.
- Barnacle Bill's name comes from the prototype of Barnacle Boy and later the comic book character of the same name.
- Towards the beginning of the party, Incidental 47 is wearing fancy clothes, but after SpongeBob gets locked out, she is wearing her normal clothes.
- It could be possible she brought extra clothes and changed.
- Wendy's sold a series of Kids' Meal toys to promote the episode in May 2002: Gary's Spinnin' Shell, Patrick's Water Game, Sandy the Pen, SpongeBob notebook, and a SpongeBob Party Poster.
- In later airings of the Indonesian dub, all live action scenes involving Patchy and Potty were all cut to save more time for other episodes to play randomly.
- However, The Bird Brains' "Underwater Sun" song scene remains intact on several occasions.
- Irony: SpongeBob sees Patchy's invitations ruined and complains about the physical limitations of living underwater, followed by he and Patrick throwing them into a fire.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode title is "Tulum kod Spužve Boba" or "Party at SpongeBob's."
- In Turkey, the episode is called "Parti Zamanı," which translates to "Party Time."
- In the Serbian dub, the comic book character Roxy Wisenheimer was replaced by Hägar the Horrible, which is also a comic strip character.
- Some PAL-dubbed prints are higher pitched while normally PAL-dubbed prints of Season 3 are pitch corrected, the Vietnamese dub and Nickelodeon Australia's tapes being examples
- This is one of the many episodes where fire is shown to exist underwater, as seen during the scene where SpongeBob and Patrick throw Patchy's invitations into the fire.
- On the July 16, 2018 airing on Nickelodeon's Nick@Nite block at 10pm, as the narrator is ending on the first act, the basketball transition to the 15-second promo for the 2018 Kids' Choice Sports Awards show occurred.
- Both Carlos Alazraqui and Dee Bradley Baker are credited for voicing the "Surfer Fish" (Scooter) and the "Late Fish" (Tom).
- This is also the last time Carlos Alazraqui voices Scooter.
- Scooter's name was revealed in this episode.
- Since the party kit states that unsupervised parties can lead to disaster, it is unknown who supervised the party in SpongeBob's place after he was sent to jail.
- The question "Which came first, the oyster or the pearl?" is a pun on the question "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"
- The title is a pun on a "party pooper," which refers to someone who causes gloom or boredom in a social environment.
- The image of SpongeBob walking as the narrator announces a new episode is a reference to the Robert Crumb comic Keep On Truckin'.
- SpongeBob's watch says 3:00, not 8:00.
- SpongeBob's couch is red instead of green as it usually is.
- At the end of the episode, when Patrick closes the door, the door handle is the same color as the door, but in the next scene, it is a gold handle.
- When Patchy crashes into the light post, his jacket is red.
- The cake has blue frosting, but in a later scene, it has pink frosting, and in another scene, it had blue frosting.
- Tom's eyes are different in this episode, but in a later scene, they are back to normal, and in another scene, they are different.
- In one scene, Gary's mouth does not move when he says "Meow."
- When SpongeBob is reading his schedule, Gary's shell does not have the red swirl.
- Right before Mr. Krabs puts his coat on Gary, the latter's shell is deformed.
- The order screen for "Patchy's Dance Tips" shows Patchy at a medium shot, but the ones at the Party show him in a medium close-up shot. He is also in a completely different pose between the two.
- Near the end of this episode, Minnie is seen standing up with everybody else, despite what she said earlier about how if she was not in the paddling pool with water, she would die.
- During most of "Underwater Sun," SpongeBob has one bucktooth instead of two.
- In the same sequence, Sandy's tail is missing in a brief appearance.
- SpongeBob distributed name tags before the topic cards, when in his schedule, name tag distribution is listed after general discussion.