- Squidward Tentacles
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 14
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 41
- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Sea bear (cameo in painting)
- Art appraiser (debut)
- Snow sponge (debut)
- Arctic sperm whale (debut)
- Rock Bottomites
- Martians (debut)
- Other customers
- French narrator
- Charles (fancy) (blue)
- Fancy man (cameo)
- Music school headmistress (cameo)
- Incidental 2
The episode begins at the Krusty Krab with Squidward attempting to sell his paintings, demanding attention from customers, who are unfazed by his art. Larry even burns his eyes upon witnessing one of his paintings. Due to the chaos he's caused, Mr. Krabs decides to shut down the art show so Squidward will never be able to sell one of his paintings. SpongeBob, however, objects and disagrees with Mr. Krabs, stating that he bought one of his paintings. An art appraiser then comes in and says that the art will not even be worth a penny. However, he then says that art can be more valuable when the artist is out of the picture, which gives Mr. Krabs an idea to get rid of his employee.
Mr. Krabs hands Squidward a delivery bag and orders him to send it to its respective customer. Squidward goes to Antarctica and encounters a snow sponge for whom he mistakes as SpongeBob. However it turns out that the real SpongeBob is already there, eating some ice. Afterwards, they deliver an ice-cold Krabby Patty to an arctic sperm whale, who enjoys the food's frozen nature.
Upon returning to the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs has Squidward do another delivery, which is to the Rock Bottomites. He has SpongeBob stay behind to not ruin his plan. Squidward is dropped off to Rock Bottom and then proceed to go down a ladder to reach his destination. Squidward is freaked out by the town and asks what kind of monsters its inhabitants are, to which SpongeBob arrives and says they aren't monsters, but rather his friends. He and the monsters break into a party afterwards.
Later on, they return to Bikini Bottom, and Squidward is ordered to do yet another' delivery, this time to Mars. Squidward is stuffed in a Rocket and sent to the Planet. After touching down, he insults Mars and his words immediately angers the Martians who eat him alive. Afterwards, Mr. Krabs is confident Squidward is gone but SpongeBob points a UFO that drops Squidward off to mars, he is covered in green slime, affected by the events on the planet, though shortly recovers. The art appraiser then rips off the $150,000 tag off Squidward's portraits, angering Mr. Krabs for making him lose money.
Fearing punishment, Squidward quickly runs away. As a result, Mr. Krabs resorts to chasing him around with a mallet in attempt to kill Squidward.Afterwards, SpongeBob sneaks up on Squidward, telling him he won't get off of him until he's safe. The latter says that he won't be safe until his paintings are gone, so the former gives him a chainsaw and encourages him to destroy them. Squidward can't go through though, since he views his paintings to be far too beautiful for destruction. After his hesitation goes away, he does tear them apart. Although Mr. Krabs finds this damage to be disruptive, the art appraiser deems it the most accelerating performance art he's ever seen. Upon realizing this, Mr. Krabs eventually joins in and he and Squidward damage the property of the Krusty Krab.This, however, goes too far, as the art appraiser does not put a cost to it. Eventually, the restaurant's roof to fall apart and land on the duo. The appraiser puts the merging of Mr. Krabs and Squidward on the wall in a museum and explains how he acquired a masterpiece with it. The episode ends with Squidward saying "I'm an artist," Mr. Krabs saying "I'm rich," and SpongeBob adding "I helped" followed by a laugh.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [?]
‣ Fanfares 18 C Maj - Marcin Pospieszalski ["Behold my wondrous paintings!"]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward gets angry/"Hey, look at my arts you dummy!!"]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I don't know how you talked me into this art show, SpongeBob."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (IX) - Jeremy Wakefield [Customer pukes on Squidward's painting.]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln ["Come on Larry, get your salad on!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [Larry's eyes on fire.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward backs away.]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Mother and son scream.]
• A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["That's it, Squidward is scaring me customers away!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Mr. Krabs, Squidward is our friend."]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Nice? I don't waste my money on nice."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Valuable? What do you mean?"]
‣ Library of Congress - Jack Shaindlin [SpongeBob explains what he means.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs takes all of Squidward's art.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 24 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs puts up a rope barrier.]
‣ Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Art appraiser appears at the Krusty Krab.]
• Harps and Bells - Nicolas Carr ["I sold all my art?"]
• Harpsichord Classical Bits - Barry Anthony [Squidward paints his autograph on someone's forehead.]
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [Squidward's thrown out the door.]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Paintings can become much more valuable when the artist is no longer with us."]
• Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [Art appraiser pretends to hang himself.]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward reappears.]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Squidward in the arctic with the delivery.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward delivers food to a whale.]
• Light Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs on the phone.]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs sees Squidward back at the Krusty Krab with SpongeBob.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Your eyes are so pretty."]
‣ Moon Walk - John Fox [Squidward arrives at Rock Bottom with the delivery.]
‣ Surf 02 158 D - Dieguis Productions/Big Fish Audio [Rock Bottom monsters put on party hats.]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs on the phone again.]
‣ Missile Disaster - John Fox [Squidward is sent in a rocket to Mars.]
‣ Alien Spacecraft (a) - Gregor Narholz [Squidward gives the delivery to the martians.]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Art appraiser at the Krusty Krab again.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries.]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["These are tears of joy, but they're also tears of sadness for my good friend, Squidward."]
‣ Unknown Track 54 - Nicolas Carr ["...wherever he is."]
‣ Space Critters (a) - Gregor Narholz [UFO drops Squidward off.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["So, who wants to talk about my use of color and brush strokes?"]
‣ Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I have done everything I could to get you away from here safely..."]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs runs after Squidward with a mallet.]
• Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs still chasing Squidward after three hours.]
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [SpongeBob hides Squidward behind a rock.]
‣ Romantic Endeavour - Thomas Kraus ["I'll never get off of you, Squidward."]
‣ Mutations (a) [#53] - Trevor Duncan [Krabs reappears with the mallet.]
‣ Epic Adventure - Dick Walter [Krabs chases Squidward and SpongeBob back at the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wh...? Really?"]
‣ Fight for Your Life! - Gregor Narholz ["Yes! Feel my art!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Really?"]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs and Squidward destroying the Krusty Krab.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs and Squidward exhausted.]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Performance art is about the moment."]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Aha!"]
‣ Scintillating Stars - John Howlett [At an art museum.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield ["And I helped."]
- This episode is available on The Complete Tenth Season DVD.
- Several of Squidward's self-portraits seen inside of the Krusty Krab are based on paintings that have previously appeared inside his of house.
- While the Krusty Krab doors opening in the wrong way is played for comedic effect, in real life doors in businesses must open outward for fire safety reasons.
- In the UK, the scene where the art appraiser pretends to hang himself to demonstrate to Mr. Krabs what "out of the picture" means is removed due to references of suicide or death.
- The gag that reveals the snow sponge to be alive is similar to the one from "Christmas Who?," which features a snowman coming to life and moving.
- Clancy Brown, the voice actor of Mr. Krabs, voices the blue sperm whale. The Krabs family includes many sperm whales, mainly Pearl, but this is the first time Brown has voiced one.
- The rocket that Mr. Krabs uses to send Squidward to Mars is very similar to Sandy's rocket and the rocket SpongeBob builds in "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- Additionally, the helmet on Squidward's spacesuit is nearly identical to Sandy's suit.
- Mr. Krabs is briefly shown wearing a fake human nose, while he chases Squidward.
- There is also an episode of The Loud House with the exact same name. Coincidentally, both SpongeBob SquarePants and The Loud House are Nicktoons.
- In addition, this episode's production number is 214b, and The Loud House's "Out of the Picture" episode is season 2 episode 14a.
- As well as this, both episodes premiered in 2017.
- This is the first time since the episode "Rock Bottom" in which Rock Bottom has appeared on the show. It has however appeared in multiple video games and the SpongeBob SquarePants 4-D: Ride.
- It is also revealed that the angler fish, who befriended SpongeBob in that episode, has stayed friends with him ever since.
- This is the first time Squidward interacts with Rock Bottomites.
- This is the second episode where Squidward lies down with a bone and can on the ground. The first is "Mutiny on the Krusty."
- This is the third appearance of a sperm whale other than Pearl, after "Jailbreak!" and "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?," which both also feature whales whose designs were modeled after Pearl.
- This is one of the few episodes to contain suicide jokes, the others being "Something Smells," "Gary Takes a Bath," "Band Geeks," "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," "Dunces and Dragons," "One Coarse Meal," and "Are You Happy Now?"
- This episode marks one of the few times that salads has been served at the Krusty Krab.
- This episode marks the 100th usage of the track "Grass Skirt Chase."
- Mr. Krabs gives Squidward three cents for his art but when it cuts back to Squidward, he suddenly has five cents.
- The bus station is missing when Squidward first arrives in Rock Bottom.
- When Squidward is sent to Mars, there is an aerial view of the Krusty Krab. The Chum Bucket and the road leading to it are missing in this scene.
- On Mars, Squidward's helmet didn't have any water in it, questioning his survival.
- Squidward wears his artist's outfit when he is sent to Mars, but when he returns, he is in his normal shirt.
- When the Krusty Krab is getting destroyed, the Galley Grub says "Krabby Pattie" instead of "Krabby Patty."
- The Krusty Krab doors opening in the wrong way.