- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Plankton's ancestors
- French Narrator
- Grand Dad Plankton (debut)
- Plankton's cousins
Mr. Krabs is sleeping in his money bath, when he smells something burning. SpongeBob then tells Mr. Krabs that it smells like Plankton with his new explosives. Plankton then blows up the Krusty Krab, while his machine captures SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs. Then, Pearl comes to the kitchen and, being afraid of whales, Plankton runs back to the Chum Bucket in panic. Mr. Krabs asks Pearl for one of her dresses so he could disguise as her to scare Plankton.
Plankton tells Karen about his fear of whales and finding Pearl in the lab. She tells him there are no whales in the Chum Bucket. Then, Mr. Krabs, disguised as Pearl, scares Plankton. He enters in the Chum Bucket and Mr. Krabs appears saying that he wants to eat Plankton. This goes on for two nonstop weeks. Plankton then runs away and has a nightmare about a demonic Pearl eating him and his cousins.
Plankton appears in the road, attempting suicide to get run over. SpongeBob becomes concerned about this and tries to tell Krabs to stop harassing Plankton, but he doesn't listen. Since Krabs won't listen to reason, SpongeBob then tells Plankton about Mr. Krabs' worst fear. Plankton suddenly stops his suicide attempt, and is surprised but becomes angry when SpongeBob tells him that it has been Mr. Krabs disguised as Pearl that's been scaring him the entire time. SpongeBob leaves while Plankton is left with a plan to get even with his rival.
Plankton decides to get revenge on Mr. Krabs by tormenting him with a mime. Later, SpongeBob scares Plankton away with holographic whales to keep him from getting the formula. SpongeBob then releases Mr. Krabs and the mime continues to torment him as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Undertow - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs takes a money bath]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Something don't smell right."]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob cooking Krabby Patties]
‣ Crime And Danger Sign #3 - Delle Haensch, Hans Conzelmann ["Explosive?!"]
• Steel Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield ["It didn't go off."]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#21] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["A dud, huh?"]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton tickling Krabs]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Clever."]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#22] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton smells blubber]
‣ Drama Link (G) - Hubert Clifford ["Ahhhhh! Call off your daughter Krabs! Call her off!"]
‣ Drama Link (E) - Hubert Clifford ["Stay back, whale!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton leaves]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs gives Pearl mall money]
‣ Tympup A - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Wacky bucks]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["This is what Mr. Krabs pays me with: Mr. Krabs' Wacky Bucks!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Plankton running home]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green ["My triumphant husband returns. How'd you fail this time?"]
• Old 49er Banjo Fiddle - Nicolas Carr [Flashback to Plankton's ancestors on a picnic]
‣ Lovely Scenery C - Mladen Franko [Whale eats them]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green [Plankton takes out the trash]
‣ Tales From The Swamp (A) - Ron Goodwin ["I'm hungry!"]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Empty laboratory]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [16 paranoia-filled days later]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson ["Yes, I can hear you."]
• Tension Transition 1 - Nicolas Carr [Pearl snickers]
‣ Death Throws [#9] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton's nightmare]
• Old 49er Banjo Fiddle - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, Plankton!"]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Gastric acid?"]
• Steel Licks 33 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton crying]
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Krabs disguised as Pearl]
• Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["What's the point of going on?"]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs in his office]
• Poor Ol Sod Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I know you and Plankton are both sworn enemies and all, but putting on a dress to frighten him? Isn't that taking it a little too far?"]
• Steel Licks 26 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton lying in the street]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob tells Plankton about Krabs' secret fear]
• Closing Door Sting - Nicolas Carr [Plankton laughs evilly]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion-2 - Nicolas Carr [Krabs putting on the disguise]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs tries to scare Plankton]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [Krabs imitates Pearl]
‣ Shock Entrance [#24] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The jig is up, Krabs!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer ["Secret fear?"]
‣ Dachshund Walk - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Krabs afraid of mimes]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Frozen Face Off (UK version only), Complete Seventh Season, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Gary Falls in Love, Loveable Sponge, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 11, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- "One Coarse Meal" was ranked #99 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- During production, this episode was originally titled "Plankton Got Served."
- The title card is similar to that of "Nature Pants," "Karate Island," "Night Light," and "Banned in Bikini Bottom," except the color is lavender and the edges are ominous.
- The Wacky Bucks would later appear in the video game Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated.
- When Mr. Krabs is crying because of the mime, Plankton calls him "Scaredy Pants," which is the name of the Halloween episode of the same name.
- Plankton is scared of whales in this episode. Although in previous episodes, he has encountered Pearl without panicking. Also, in one of the episodes, "The Algae's Always Greener," Plankton says "Look at his daughter, she's as big as a whale."
- At the end of "Sleepy Time," Plankton and Pearl encounter each other when the other main characters (excluding Karen) tell SpongeBob to stay out of their dreams. Plankton doesn't seem to be afraid of Pearl.
- In "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture," Plankton does not show his fear.
- "Coarse" is another term for "Rough." Therefore, the title of the episode means "One Rough Meal." However, it is clearly a play on words of a one course meal.
- This episode shows that Plankton is a skilled bubble blower, as he was able to make a bubble shield strong enough to withstand the peas that SpongeBob was spitting at the speed of a bullet.
- It is revealed that Plankton is afraid of whales and that Mr. Krabs has a secret fear of mimes.
- When Plankton calls SpongeBob "Cheesehead," it is a reference to "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" in which he goes by that alias as mayor of New Kelp City.
- The transmutator was a scanner in "Plankton!"
- Just before Pearl comes into the kitchen, Plankton wonders what the smell is. SpongeBob says it smells like blubber, and Plankton panics. In "Spongicus," he says one of the ingredients to his chum is whale blubber, so it is unusual that he would not know what blubber smells like.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs can do a perfect Pearl impression; he can imitate her voice perfectly.
- One of Plankton's ancestors resembles Clem.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Jedna mala izmišljotina," translating to "One little fabrication."
- This is the first episode where "Another Best Day Ever" plays.
- This is the first time SpongeBob actually stands up for Plankton and tries to defend him.
- This episode talks about a serious issue which is depression/suicide.
- When Plankton starts living in isolation due to his fear of Pearl, his hair and nails grow out and he starts wearing tissue boxes as shoes. This is a reference to the 20th century entrepreneur Howard Hughes who fell into a similar state after he isolated himself from society.
- In the closing credits the episode is spelled as "One Course Meal."
- When the camera zooms out on Plankton, a box appears over his face.
- When SpongeBob goes into Mr. Krabs' office after he erases a drawing of Plankton, the pencil and paper he used is gone.
- When SpongeBob is letting Plankton know about the whales outside the Krusty Krab, his facial animation resets for a brief moment.