- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Plankton's ancestors
- French Narrator
- Grand Dad Plankton (debut)
- Plankton's cousins
As the episode opens, Mr. Krabs is sleeping in his money bath, when he smells something burning. SpongeBob then tells Mr. Krabs that it smells like Plankton with his new explosives. Plankton then blows up the Krusty Krab, while his machine captures SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs. Plankton tickles Mr. Krabs with a feather. SpongeBob accidentally reveals the location of the Krabby Patty secret formula. Then, Pearl comes to the kitchen and, being afraid of whales, Plankton runs back to the Chum Bucket in panic. Mr. Krabs asks Pearl for one of her dresses so he could disguise as her to scare Plankton.
Plankton tells Karen about his fear of whales and finding Pearl in the lab. She tells him there are no whales in the Chum Bucket. Then, Mr. Krabs, disguised as Pearl, scares Plankton. He enters in the Chum Bucket and Mr. Krabs appears saying that he wants to eat Plankton. This goes on for two nonstop weeks. Plankton then runs away and has a nightmare about a demonic Pearl eating him and his cousins.
Plankton appears on the road, attempting to commit suicide by getting run over by a bus. SpongeBob becomes concerned about this and confronts Mr. Krabs in his office and tries to tell him to stop harassing Plankton, but he refuses to listen. Mr. Krabs reminds SpongeBob take he revealed the location of the formula which a violation in the Krusty Krab Rule Book. Since Mr. Krabs won't listen to reason, SpongeBob then tells Plankton about Mr. Krabs' worst fear. Plankton suddenly stops his suicide attempt, and is surprised but becomes angry when SpongeBob tells him that it has been Mr. Krabs disguised as Pearl that's been scaring him the entire time. SpongeBob leaves while Plankton is left with a plan to get revenge on his rival.
Plankton decides to get revenge on Mr. Krabs by tormenting him with a mime. Later, SpongeBob scares Plankton away with holographic whales to keep him from getting the formula. SpongeBob then releases Mr. Krabs and the episode closes as mime continues to torment him.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Undertow - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs takes a money bath]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Something don't smell right."]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob cooking Krabby Patties]
‣ Crime And Danger Sign #3 - Delle Haensch, Hans Conzelmann ["Explosive?!"]
• Steel Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield ["It didn't go off."]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#21] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["A dud, huh?"]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton tickling Krabs]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Clever."]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#22] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton smells blubber]
‣ Drama Link (G) - Hubert Clifford ["Ahhhhh! Call off your daughter Krabs! Call her off!"]
‣ Drama Link (E) - Hubert Clifford ["Stay back, whale!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton leaves]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs gives Pearl mall money]
‣ Tympup A - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Wacky bucks]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["This is what Mr. Krabs pays me with: Mr. Krabs' Wacky Bucks!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Plankton running home]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green ["My triumphant husband returns. How'd you fail this time?"]
• Old Fortyniner - Nicolas Carr [Flashback to Plankton's ancestors on a picnic]
‣ Lovely Scenery C - Mladen Franko [Whale eats them]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green [Plankton takes out the trash]
‣ Tales From The Swamp (A) - Ron Goodwin ["I'm hungry!"]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Empty laboratory]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [16 paranoia-filled days later]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson ["Yes, I can hear you."]
• Tension Transition 1 - Nicolas Carr [Pearl snickers]
‣ Death Throws [#9] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton's nightmare]
• Old Fortyniner - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, Plankton!"]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Gastric acid?"]
• Steel Licks 33 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton crying]
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Krabs disguised as Pearl]
• Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["What's the point of going on?"]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs in his office]
• Poor Ol Sod Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob calls out Mr. Krabs for tormenting Plankton]
• Steel Licks 26 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton lying in the street]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob tells Plankton about Krabs' secret fear]
• Closing Door Sting - Nicolas Carr [Plankton laughs evilly]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion-2 - Nicolas Carr [Krabs putting on the disguise]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs tries to scare Plankton]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [Krabs imitates Pearl]
‣ Shock Entrance [#24] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The jig is up, Krabs!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer ["Secret fear?"]
‣ Dachshund Walk - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Krabs afraid of mimes]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Frozen Face Off (UK version only), Complete Seventh Season, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Gary Falls in Love, Let's Play, Loveable Sponge, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 11, Next 100 Episodes, and The Seventh & Eighth Seasons DVDs.
- "One Coarse Meal" was ranked #99 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode was on Nick.com one month and 29 days before it aired on television.
- This episode was originally titled "Plankton Got Served."
- The Wacky Bucks would later appear in the video game Battle for Bikini Bottom: Rehydrated.
- Plankton is scared of whales in this episode, although in previous episodes, he has encountered Pearl without panicking. Also, in "The Algae's Always Greener," Plankton says, "Look at his daughter, she's as big as a whale."
- At the end of "Sleepy Time," Plankton and Pearl encounter each other when the other main characters (excluding Karen) tell SpongeBob to stay out of their dreams. Plankton doesn't seem to be afraid of Pearl.
- In "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture," Plankton does not show his fear.
- In the future episode "Jailbreak!," one of the inmates looks similar to Pearl. Plankton doesn't seem afraid.
- This episode shows that Plankton is a skilled bubble blower, as he was able to make a bubble shield strong enough to withstand the peas that SpongeBob was spitting at the speed of a bullet.
- It is revealed that Plankton is afraid of whales and that Mr. Krabs has a secret fear of mimes.
- The transmutator was a scanner in "Plankton!"
- Foreshadowing: The real Pearl shows no interest in Plankton and would do nothing to scare him, hinting the "Pearl" that does scare him is Mr. Krabs in disguise.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs can do a perfect Pearl impression; he can imitate her voice perfectly.
- One of Plankton's ancestors resembles Clem from "Plankton's Army."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Jedna mala izmišljotina," translating to "One little fabrication."
- This is the first episode where "Another Best Day Ever" plays.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob actually stands up for Plankton and tries to defend him.
- Irony: SpongeBob defends Plankton, of which he says that he will not scare him, because of it would fly in the nature of his "good nature." He also tells Mr. Krabs that he's going a bit too far. In the end, SpongeBob scares Plankton with a bunch of fake whale holograms.
- This is the second season 7 episode after "A Pal for Gary" to feature the Krusty Krab without Squidward.
- When Mr. Krabs is crying because of the mime, Plankton calls him "Scaredy Pants," which is the name of a Halloween episode from season 1.
- When Plankton calls SpongeBob "CheeseHead," it is a reference to "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" in which SpongeBob goes by that alias as mayor of New Kelp City.
- The title is a parody of the term "one course meal."
- "Coarse" means "rough" or "heavy," referring to Plankton's torment throughout the episode.
- When Plankton starts living in isolation due to his fear of Pearl, his hair and nails grow out and he starts wearing tissue boxes as shoes. This is a reference to the 20th-century entrepreneur Howard Hughes, who fell into a similar state after he isolated himself from society.
- In the closing credits, the episode is spelled as "One Course Meal."
- When the camera zooms out on Plankton, a box appears over his face.
- When SpongeBob goes into Mr. Krabs' office after he erases a drawing of Plankton, the pencil and paper he used is gone.
- When SpongeBob is letting Plankton know about the whales outside the Krusty Krab, his facial animation resets for a brief moment.
- While he is gliding, Plankton's teeth turn green for a frame.