- Squidward Tentacles
- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 154
- Realistic Fish Head
- Perch Perkins
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 90
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 12
- Construction foreman
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 25
- Incidental 87
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 119
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 69
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 28
- Incidental 23
- Dr. Gill Gilliam (name revealed)
- Incidental 150
- Other Bikini Bottomites
Squidward walks outside his house on a sunny day, only to find out that his yard is covered in Gary's slime trail. He attempts to keep Gary away by building a splintery wooden fence around him, but to no avail. As he complains to SpongeBob about his pet, Gary bites him. SpongeBob assures Squidward that Gary has had all of his shots, but Patrick overhears and asks if Gary has been vaccinated for "Mad Snail Disease," a disease that turns anyone bitten by the afflicted into a zombie, which SpongeBob says he has not.
Suddenly, Gary runs off and starts to bite everybody in sight. Bikini Bottom is sent into a state of mass hysteria, and destruction, and soon, almost everybody has been bitten and turned into zombies. Those who have survived the disease are hiding out at the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob tries to get in, but Patrick believes he is a zombie and will not let him in until he slips through the doors. Old Man Jenkins suggests that they might all be zombies, and everyone starts panicking. Gary then comes in, much to the horror of the onlookers, and SpongeBob tries to bring him to his senses, but he gets bitten, much to his horror. The survivors in the Krusty Krab then decide to terminate Gary.
However, a doctor named Gill Gilliam enters the building to put an end to the commotion, explaining that the disease is just an urban legend and that the supposed symptoms were all in their imaginations, and that Gary was simply suffering from "Grouchy Snailitis" due to a "tiny" splinter in his foot from Squidward's fence, which he removes. SpongeBob is happy that Gary was never disease-ridden, and he asks if he still loves him, with Gary meowing in response. The remaining people outside appear to hear this, and even though they are not infected, Squidward still acts like a zombie due to the fact that he is now working at his job and starts serving customers.
The episode ends with Gary biting Mr. Krabs for no reason at all.
- Bikini Bottomites panicking by Gary's infectious bite.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [Title card]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Snail trail..."]
‣ Toyland March 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward putting up a wooden fence]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell ["This cheap splintery wood will keep even Gary out."]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Squidward yells at SpongeBob]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Gary!"]
‣ Lighting the Fuse (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward asks if Gary's had all his shots]
‣ Lighting the Fuse (b) - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward asks if Gary's had all his shots]
‣ Comic Tension (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward naming snail diseases]
‣ Twilight Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Patrick describing Mad Snail Disease]
‣ Shock Entrance [#24] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Patrick talking Squidward about Mad Snail Disease's symptoms]
‣ Twilight Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["...will turn you into...a zombie."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Gary's missing]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Patrick warns people about Mad Snail Disease]
‣ Lambs in Clover - Jack Strachey ["Oh, look, honey, isn't he the cutest?"]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin ["Mad snail disease is real!"/Everyone panicking]
• Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [news blast]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares [Squidward interviewed]
‣ Robot March - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Second scene of everyone panicking]
‣ March of the Aliens [#7] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [zombies chasing SpongeBob/SpongeBob runs to the Krusty Krab]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["SpongeBob! Come in, boy."]
‣ Search Party 3 [#51] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Stop! You can't let anyone in!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob squeezes through the door crack]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Or is it?"]
‣ Search Party 1 [#48] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I don't believe that's the real SpongeBob."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick thinks for a second]
‣ Death of the Alien 1 [#38] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Everyone panics/Gary appears at the Krusty Krab]
• Steel Licks 19 - Jeremy Wakefield ["All those people think you're a monster."]
‣ Death of the Alien 1 [#38] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Gary bites SpongeBob]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Mad Snail Disease doesn't exist]
‣ Old Hilo March - Kapono Beamer [Gary's back to normal]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares [Squidward enters]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, yes I am."]
‣ Old Hilo March - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Whale of a Birthday, Season 4 Volume 2, Complete Fourth Season, SpongeBob StarPants, Really Big Box Set, 2-Season TV Pack, The SpongeBob Birthday Box, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The Super Celebrations, Two for One with Nickelodeon! Volume 2, Triple Pack 1, Big Hits: Volume 1, Snail Meow, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The Third & Fourth Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- "Once Bitten" was ranked #39 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- Viewers can easily tell there is no such thing as "Mad Snail Disease," because Gary had a splinter, and some symptoms Patrick told Squidward were not true because for loss of balance, Patrick knocked Squidward over and for ticklish rib cage, he just tickled Squidward himself.
- This episode marks the first time Perch Perkins appears in the show. This episode also marks the first time he is orange instead of purple. He remains that way until the second movie.
- This is the first of four episodes transcribed as a comic into the SpongeBob SquarePants/Tokyopop book Mistaken Identity. The other three were "That's No Lady," "The Thing," and "Rule of Dumb."
- There is a book based on this episode called Attack of the Zombies!
- The episode's title is based on the phrase, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy."
- Mad Snail Disease may be a reference to the real-life disease mad cow disease. However, the so-called "Mad snail disease" has the symptoms of rabies.
- When SpongeBob runs to the bus, the "Stop" sign is there, but in the next scene, it disappears.
- When SpongeBob is being chased by the "zombies," two of them disappear before they leave the screen.
- An elderly woman's dress changes colors from purple to green in the scene where the "zombies" chase SpongeBob.
- When the "zombies" attack the Krusty Krab, there is neither the Chum Bucket nor the path that leads to it.
- When SpongeBob says, "Gary, how could you?," his legs are missing.
- During the scene where SpongeBob says, "I knew you weren't disease-ridden!" to Gary, Frank's purple shirt sleeve turns blue. In the next scene, it changes back to purple.
- When SpongeBob arrives at the Krusty Krab, the doors are locked. Later on, when Squidward walks in acting like a zombie, the doors are unlocked.
- It could be possible that Squidward has another exactly same key of Krusty Krab to open it off-screen.
- The amount of fish chasing SpongeBob changes.
- Nat is seen as a zombie, but later, he is later seen as a normal customer in the Krusty Krab.
- Pearl Krabs is listed in the credits for this episode. She was originally featured in a deleted scene, and Lori Alan recorded dialogue for it. Even after the scene was cut, Lori Alan's credit still remained.