— Old Man Jenkins, "Senior Discount"
Old Man Jenkins Jr. is an elderly fish who debuts in the third season episode "The Sponge Who Could Fly." In episodes before his debut and other materials after his debut, the name "Old Man Jenkins" was used as a generic name used for Incidental 86, Incidental 91, and Old Man Walker.
- 1 Description
- 2 Role in series
- 3 Major roles
- 4 Trivia
- 5 References
He is a bald and wrinkly skinny dark green fish with a light gray beard and eyebrows. He wears blue overalls with two golden snaps. In his debut, "The Sponge Who Could Fly," he was originally a skinny dark gray hairless fish that mostly resembled Incidental 80. He wore a farmer's hat, green overalls, and yellow sleeves.
Role in series
In the series the name "Old Man Jenkins" was originally a generic name that was given to both Incidental 86 and Incidental 91. In "The Sponge Who Could Fly" he was given his own separate character. He has made very few cameos in the series which were usually short speaking roles. In the episode "High Sea Diving," he makes his first prominent role and has made many more major roles in the series ever since.
He first appears as a farmer at his barn where he scolds SpongeBob and Patrick for ruining his silo with his "flying machine." He then gives up on farming and becomes a sailor instead where he nearly crashed into a burnt out lighthouse until SpongeBob replaced the lighthouse bulb allowing him to turn around only for him to crash into another rock and sink to the bottom of the sea. He lastly appears as a stuntman named "Cannonball Jenkins" where he launches himself out of a cannon and punches SpongeBob's inflatable pants causing him to fall onto the ground due to his pants exploding.
He appears in Mr. Krabs' story where he reveals that Jenkins was his old childhood neighbor. He and Plankton later have him try their Plab Patty that they created together which knocks him out. This event caused an argument between the two stating whose fault it was that the patty knocked him out.
While SpongeBob and Patrick are looking for more information on the main drain, he pulls them into his house when he hears them talking about it. He says the main drain is real but unfortunately, he has no idea where it is located.
When SpongeBob finally makes it to the surface of the ocean, he finds Old Man Jenkins at the top with a bunch of junk. He tries to get SpongeBob to believe he is King Neptune and SpongeBob playfully tells him he is Poseidon.
Old Man Jenkins believed he was Poseidon at first, but soon realized it was really SpongeBob. He reveals that he accidentally ended up at the surface by getting pulled up by a bunch of balloons. When they end up getting back down to Bikini Bottom, the Bottomites end up believing that Old Man Jenkins is King Neptune, until the real King Neptune himself arrives and zaps Old Man Jenkins for impersonating him.
After SpongeBob's friends finish the lost Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode recital, Old Man Jenkins chases them off for using his outdoor amphitheater. However, he just wanted to play along with them. SpongeBob gladly plays along with him and offers him the role as Mermaid Man. He happily accepts his role and flies off into the sky.
Mr. Krabs has SpongeBob and Patrick work at Old Man Jenkins' farm in order to pay off his grocery bill. They try to finish their assigned tasks and help him prepare for his upcoming barn party, but they end up failing everyone, as well as destroying his barn. After SpongeBob and Patrick do some barn raising, Old Man Jenkins ends up with a brand new barn for his barn party. The party starts out slow until a group of farmer aliens arrive and join the party.
Old Man Jenkins is pleased with SpongeBob and Patrick's help and offers them to come back and visit anytime.
Whenever people run away from Filthy Muck and Little Yuck because of their rancid smell, Old Man Jenkins is the only one to not run, since he has no sense of smell, thus causing him to be unaffected by their smell.
At the end of the episode, when Patrick reveals to have taken a bath after being kicked out of the Krusty Krab and is in his bath clothes, Old Man Jenkins gets frightened. SpongeBob questions him on this, as he tells him it is because Patrick's bath clothes fell off of him and his butt was being clearly seen by everyone. When everyone realizes this, they all laugh at Patrick's expense.
He comes to the Krusty Krab and disrupts business as normal, and Mr. Krabs tries to get him out. They call for their elders and later get kicked out of the Krusty Krab by them. They then have to go to the Chum Bucket, where Plankton tries to get them to leave but they hit him and tell to respect their elders.
Old Man Jenkins appears at Plankton's "funeral," but when Plankton is revealed to be alive, Old Man Jenkins suggests that they should stomp on him.
He is seen in the episode mocking Bubble Bass for complaining about his hiccups. He states that back in his day, hiccups could turn people inside out.
- In early planning stages for The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, SpongeBob was going to address part of his speech to an apocalyptic Old Man Jenkins.
- In the Croatian dub, he has various names. In "Friend or Foe," his name is "Johnny" (or Džoni), and in "The Main Drain," his name is "Jure."
- In the Finnish dub , he has various names. In "The Sponge Who Could Fly", his name is "Jänkkinen", and in "The Main Drain," his name is "Vanha Herra Jokinen."
- In 2013, the music video for the SpongeBob Schwammkopf BOBstar - das total abgedrehte Album song "Kommt doch rein" (a cover of the Culcha Candela song "Von allein") called Incidental 83 Alter Jenkins. In 2018, Vincent Waller stated on Twitter that as of season 11, the skinny green version of Old Man Jenkins is the only one called by that name. For identification purposes, the production crew now calls Incidental 83 "Old Man Walker" instead which many fans and episode 8 of Bikini Bottom Mysteries mistook him as "Old Man Jenkins." It was revealed in Plankton Paranoia and Library Cards (credits), The Krusty Slammer and Pineapple RV (credits), and "SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout" that Incidental 83 is really named Old Man Walker and is a separate character from Old Man Jenkins. The 2020 card and dice game Plankton Rising (which calls Incidental 87 "Mary Walker") calls Old Man Walker "Old Man Jenkins."
- A character with the same name is mentioned in the Alvin and the Chipmunks episode "Safety Third."
- Since "High Sea Diving," Old Man Jenkins has been consistently voiced by guest star John Gegenhuber.
- Furthering confusion between him and Walter Haddock, Old Man Jenkins is dressed more like Walter Haddock than usual in "Karen's Virus" (shirt and hat) and "FarmerBob" (hat).
- He is named after his father.
- ^ "A Place for Pets
- ^ Very Old Man Jenkins Sr.
- ^ Plankton Rising
- ^ a b SpongeBob feat. MC Fitti - Kommt Doch Rein (May 24, 2013).
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/963483796443033601
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/963604302701805568
- ^ The Curious Case of Old Man Jenkins 👀 | Bikini Bottom Mysteries Ep. 8
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/963434582480580608
|Recurring characters (V • E)|
Patchy • Potty • French Narrator • Mermaid Man • Barnacle Boy • Flying Dutchman • King Neptune • Larry the Lobster • Harold SquarePants • Margaret SquarePants • Grandma SquarePants • Realistic Fish Head • Perch Perkins • Bikini Bottomites • Jellyfish
Other recurring characters