- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Mrs. Puff
- Big Fat Meanie (debut)
- Roger (debut)
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 11
- Seahorses (written)
- Nematodes (written)
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 28
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 62
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Debbie (written)
- Lloyd (written)
SpongeBob is getting ready to go to school in the morning and heads out the door, only to see Patrick. Patrick eagerly asks him if he can go jellyfishing. SpongeBob says he has to go to school and asks what Patrick usually does when he is gone. Patrick says that he waits for SpongeBob to get back and SpongeBob feels sorry for Patrick. SpongeBob then tells Patrick that he can come to school with him.
They arrive at 6:20 a.m., and class starts at 9:00 a.m., which SpongeBob considers "Late for being early." He then shows Patrick around the school and explains their classroom's "Good Noodle Board" system, where "good noodle stars" are placed on a Good Noodle Board next to the chalkboard. SpongeBob has by far the most stars of anyone in the class, having 74 in total, and adds Patrick's name to the chart so he can start collecting his stars. He also shows to him Roger, an unborn animal egg in a case with only a light-bulb for warmth.
When class starts, Mrs. Puff sees Patrick and asks him his name. He gets nervous and replies with "twenty-four," and the whole class laughs at his response. At their desks, SpongeBob and Patrick laugh among each other about what comes after number "twenty-four," and Mrs. Puff lets Patrick off and warns SpongeBob to pay attention. Later, Patrick draws an ugly picture of Mrs. Puff, calling her a "Big Fat Meanie," and throws it over to SpongeBob's desk.
Mrs. Puff thinks the picture was made by SpongeBob and she has a small plastic spatula to remove one of his stars from his good noodles, much to SpongeBob's horror. Mrs. Puff then tells SpongeBob to move to the available desk in the back of the room. Soon after, Patrick tries to tell SpongeBob something, and SpongeBob, becoming very irritated, tries to ignore him. Patrick begins spitting spitballs at SpongeBob to get his attention and says that he has "something important" to tell him. SpongeBob finally asks him what he has to say, and Patrick simply says "Hi." SpongeBob is furious and screams in frustration. Mrs. Puff angrily tells him that perhaps this would be a good time for recess.
During recess, SpongeBob confronts Patrick in the hallway, and they start fighting, so they are both given detention.
During detention, the two say how much they hate each other, and SpongeBob says he would hate Patrick even if the light bulb keeping Roger alive went out. Suddenly, the light bulb coincidentally goes out, and Roger starts to freeze. Frightened on the inside, SpongeBob and Patrick try to ignore both situations but end up tearfully apologizing, and then they work together to save Roger. SpongeBob keeps the egg warm, while Patrick gets a new light bulb. They both successfully save Roger from his death in the end.
Suddenly, Mrs. Puff appears, who had been watching the whole incident through her one-way chalkboard. She decides to give them each one a golden star for saving Roger. Patrick then realizes that this was a boating school and not "Spanish class." He leaves, saying goodbye to SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff. After Patrick leaves, Roger suddenly hatches from the egg, revealing him to be a live-action chick who asks what he had missed as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [title card]
‣ Hilo Rag - Guy Fletcher [opening]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a second, Patrick."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick imagines himself in SpongeBob's class.]
‣ Stiff Upper Lip - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob showing Patrick around]
‣ Hula Festival - George Elliott [the classroom]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [SpongeBob describing Roger]
• Steel Licks 7 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick giggling]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [Patrick is nervous to reveal his name.]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Everyone laughs.]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland [Big Fat Meanie/Mrs. Puff sees Patrick's drawing.]
‣ National Mourning - Gerhard Trede [Mrs. Puff removes one of SpongeBob's stars.]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob is sent to the back of the room.]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Patrick shoots spitballs at SpongeBob.]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick fighting]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["This is embarrassing."]
‣ Point of Departure O - Gregor F. Narholz [Mrs. Puff catches SpongeBob and Patrick "red-handed."]
‣ Point of Departure M - Gregor F. Narholz [Mrs. Puff sentences SpongeBob and Patrick to detention.]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["In one day I've gone from good noodle to bad egg."]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz [Roger freezing]
‣ Heroes Win [#34] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick save Roger.]
‣ Tiroler Jodler 2 - Werner Brueggemann [Patrick climbing the mountain of light bulbs]
‣ Heroes Win [#34] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick save Roger.]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the Sponge for Hire, Complete 3rd Season, First 100 Episodes, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 5, Complete Third Season, From the Beginning, Pt.2, Patrick's Day, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- "New Student Starfish" was ranked #55 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode and "Clams" were nominated for an Emmy at the 2003 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour).
- There is a chapter book based on this episode.
- The scene when SpongeBob says 25 became a popular meme.
- The scene when Patrick passes a note saying "Big Fat Meanie" became popular on YouTube and it has been parodied on various videos.
- When Mrs. Puff opens the drawers in her desk to put the paper that Patrick drew of her, many different papers making fun of Mrs. Puff can be seen inside that drawer.
- In the Israel dub, Roger, at the end of the episode, says, "תעברו לסיפור הבא," which translates to "Get to the next story!"
- In most episodes, the Boating School is just one room. In this episode, however, it looks like a real school.
- This is the only episode to show the boating school having stairs and thus two stories.
- This is the first episode to have a chalkboard as the title card background.
- This is the first time Patrick goes to Mrs. Puff's Boating School.
- Despite having known her before in "Boating School," Patrick and Mrs. Puff are properly introduced to each other in this episode.
- The back desk graffiti depicts the following:
- "Down With Learning"
- "Mrs. Puff" with a crudely drawn version of her to the right, which is just a circle with a face and arms/legs.
- "Skool is 4 Chumps"
- A peace sign symbol
- A tic-tac-toe puzzle
- When Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob and Patrick, "May Neptune have mercy on your souls," it is a reference to the phrase, "May God have mercy on your soul," which a judge says to a convict who's about to receive the death penalty.
- When Patrick pictures Mrs. Puff's class like a class photo day, the black sign in front of the kids in the front reads "Mrs. Puff's Driving School," but Mrs. Puff's school sign says "Mrs. Puff's Boating School."
- Patrick's "Big Fat Meanie" drawing before being put into Mrs. Puff's drawer appears different from the one that appears as it is put into Mrs. Puff's drawer.
- When Mrs. Puff removes one of SpongeBob's good noodle stars, the star appears bigger than the other ones.
- When Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob that she is done with his nonsense and tells him to get all of his stuff, SpongeBob appears to have nothing with him despite the fact that he brought his backpack earlier in the episode.
- When SpongeBob is being sentenced to sit in the old desk at the back, the text says "Skoll is 4 chumps," but in the next scene the text is gone and SpongeBob's arms are tiny.
- SpongeBob writes Patrick's name on the Good Noodle Board in capital letters. Later on, when SpongeBob and Patrick are saving Roger, Patrick's name is in lower case, and when Mrs. Puff tells them that she will give them a gold star each, it is in capitals again.
- The names on the Good Noodle Board change throughout the episode.
- The number of stars per student changes throughout the episode.